Subject: [Mip4] new draft on network selection (NACP)

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:03:35 +0100

Hi again to the MIP4 group,

We have recently submitted a draft on mechanisms for network selection
by an MN.  It's called NACP for Network Access Co-ordination Protocol
and we're looking for feedback on it.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kulkarni-mobileip-dynamic-assignment-02.txt

The draft describes a simple protocol happening between MN and a
Network Access Agent (NAA) and allows a Mobile IPv4 MN to maintain
ongoing connections while switching between three very different types
of wireless links.  MN sends to NAA a list of access networks that it
can sense (GPRS, WLAN and DVB-T) and subsequently the NAA suggests
back to MN which of those networks to use; NAA's suggestions rely on
its high-level visibility of network, errrr, resources. (while MN has
supposedly little visibility over how networks are overloaded, or how
expensive).

The relationship to Mobile IPv4:
-working over heterogeneous systems is only possible if IP is used,
 being wireless implies mobility, and the wide-area characteristics of
 both GPRS and DVB-T imply Mobile IP.
-MN uses its Home Address to inform the NAA about its identity (and
 not its temporary Care-of Address).

Previously, the only WG that touched and delivered on these concepts
was Seamoby.  One resulted protocol was CARD.  With CARD, the MN is
assisted by first-hop Access Routers, while with NACP the MN is
assisted by an entity deep in the network (that's why NACP is UDP
while CARD is IP).

More recently, a related draft is
draft-njedjou-inter-an-handoffs-00.txt, which discusses the benefits
of such a scheme but does not propose an actual solution.

We're looking for guidance, and initially trying to learn how this
work maybe already existed before, or how it can be done entirely
differently, or maybe how some other RFC's already do it, or how wrong
the reasoning above might be.  Any feedback appreciated.

Thank you for considering it,

Alex
GBU

-- 
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4

---

From: Milind Kulkarni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:42:22 -0800

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kulkarni-mobileip-dynamic-assignment-02.txt

Hi Alex,

You mean you submitted our Dynamic HA Assignment draft again? :)
I am sure the draft name you specified above is a typo.
If not, we need to talk ;)

Milind

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:49:39 +0100

> I am sure the draft name you specified above is a typo.

Oh yes, it was typo, my emacs buffers are filled with drafts so I
switched to the wrong one, apologies.

The NACP is at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lach-nac-01.txt

> If not, we need to talk ;)

We need to talk even if yes.

For example, what do you think about our draft (I already said what I
think about your draft and I'm tempted to believe it should not be
presented).

Alex
GBU

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:19:37 +0100

Hello Alexandru,

	One prior draft you may want to have a look at, which is very
much related to your work here, is a record of the implementation of
an experimental handover assistance protocol. You can find it at (it
has timed out from the ietf repository):

 http://www.levkowetz.com/pub/id/draft-levkowetz-seamoby-sample-00.txt

	Regards,
		Henrik

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lach-nac-01.txt

(Correcting the URL in this earlier post from the same day:)