Subject: [Mip4] Advancing mip4 work items

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:38:41 +0100

Hi,

	During the Minneapolis workgroup meeting, we posed a number of
questions to the group present; but in many cases too few people had
read the drafts in question and were prepared to signal an opinion.

This is a list of the issues which we will present on the list in the
coming weeks, asking for the list's viewpoint on each issue. (The first
query will be sent to the list later today) :

* Adoption of the draft draft-patel-mobileip-experimental-messages-02.txt
  as a workgroup draft. This draft proposes the assignment of IANA numbers
  for experimental MIP v4 messages, extensions and error codes, in
  accordance with work item 7 of the MIP4 charter.

* Adoption of the draft draft-kulkarni-mobileip-dynamic-assignment-02.txt
  as a workgroup draft. This draft proposes extensions for the purpose of
  dynamically allocate an HA at the time of registration, rather than
  statically preconfigured, in accordance with charter work item 4.

* Workgroup opinion on looking at a charter extension to work on MIP v4 to
  mip v6 transition mechanisms according to draft-tsirtsis-v4v6-mipv4-00.txt.
  The workgroup charter does not currently have any item supporting such
  work, so first of all we have to judge the group's interest in the work
  to know if we should apply for a charter extension. 

* Additionally, we have received a query from the dhc workgroup about this
  group's viewpoint on the draft draft-ietf-dhc-mipadvert-opt-01.txt, which
  is a work item of the dhc working group. Since this dhc option provides
  a new mechanism for distribution of MIP v4 agent advertisments, the draft
  will not advance if the MIP4 wg doesn't give it its support.

Please respond to the individual queries we will send to the list on
these items, starting with the first one later today.

	Regards,
		Henrik and Pete