Subject: [Mip4] A query about CCOA..

From: Chaitra M R <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:03:48 +0530 (IST)

Hi All,

  Sorry if this  question  sounds  naive.  I am new into the  mobility
  realm and hence have many doubts. Please bear with me.

  This  doubt  is  about  co-located  care  of  address.  From  what I
  understand,  using  co-located   address  does  not  necessiate  the
  services of FA right?

  Given that the foreign  network on to which the MN has moved doesn't
  have an FA and the MN uses  CCOA,  how can a mobile  node  determine
  that it has moved to a foreign network?

Regards,
Chaitra

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: Kent Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:48:08 -0800

Hi Chaitra.  The doubts are legitimate as I don't think RFC 3344 covers
the specifics of move detection in CCoA mode.  However, CCoA mode
requires the MN to obtain an IP address on the access network.
Typically this is DHCP or PPP/IPCP.  Both provide the subnet prefix
which allows the MN to detect if it has changed subnet.  In addition,
the IP address would have also changed as well in this case.

Hope that helps.

Kent

--
      |           |                   Kent Leung
     :|:         :|:                  IP Mobility Development
    :|||:       :|||:                 Internet Technologies Division
   :|||||||:   :|||||||:              Voice: 408.526.5030
.:|||||||||:.:|||||||||:.             Fax:   408.525.1653
  c i s c o S y s t e m s             Email: [email-masked]