Subject: [Mip4] Bar-meeting on Handover keying design

From: "Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:25:15 -0500

Hi,

This is a solicitation for folks interested in a Bar-meeting (Bar
pre-BoF or whatever the meeting ends up being) discussing handover
keying (I call it HOKEY, and have created a semi-formal proposal in case
we end up needing a BOF name for Dallas, who knows it does not hurt to
have these things handy :) ). I have a link to an old draft from April
down at the bottom of this email, but unfortunately, I did not have time
to write a new version of the draft. The old draft may be enough to
initiate some discussion. Please let me know if you are interested in
participating. We will decide on the "happy hour" time and location :)

I have not yet set up a proper mailing list, so if you are simply
interested in checking things out, ***you do not need to send me an
email yet*** as I am sending this email to several lists.
If I manage to set of a mailing list in time for IETF, an announcement
is to follow.

Regards,

Madjid Nakhjiri

Handover Keying (HOKEY)
================

The recent "AAA Key Management" guidelines as well as several IEEE and
WiMAX specification documents attest to the increasing popularity of
approach of striving to benefit from the interaction with the
authentication (AAA) servers during the network entry to provision
further keying materials for support of other networking applications or
handovers to other networks. 

Recent attempts in applying these methods to access technologies with
mobility support (such as WiMAX) has shown that the existing
specifications may needs to be further examined or extended from the
point of view of handover keying or networking application keying
support.

It seems to be more efficient to instead initiate a well-thought and
documented design with a first-hand focus on mobility and handover
keying and authorization mechanisms. The initial goal of this activity
can be to examine the combination of the EAP and AAA documentations to
utilize the EAP keying framework and the AAA infrastructure for handover
keying and provide an appropriate key hierarchy that can handle the
requirements stated in "AAA key management" and further venturing into
other network applications that may need keying support.

A background problem statement can be found at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nakhjiri-eap-ho-00.txt

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/