Subject: [Mip4] Charter Update Proposal

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:34:47 +0100

Hi,

Both the list and the WG meeting during IETF-67 indicated support for
adding moving network support and a notification mechanism to the
charter, so below is a proposal for a charter update.  (The resulting
charter, if the updates are accepted, are provided as an attachment.)

We propose to add the following two items to the list of work to
be done:

  11. MIPv4 Moving Network Support

  The Network Mobility (nemo) working group deals with the problem of
  mobility of a whole network, such as might exist inside a vehicle,
  train, or airplane.  The nemo working group has developed draft
  specifications for both IPv6 and IPv4 mobile networks.  However, it has
  been recognized that the IPv4 version of the protocol can be viewed as
  an extension of the basic Mobile IPv4 protocol, and there is good reason
  to do this extension in the mip4 working group.  The working group will
  take on the MIPv4 network mobility internet draft and progress it along
  the standards track.  In addition, the working group will take up
  extensions to the basic MIPv4 moving network support in the areas of
  dynamic prefix assignment and foreign agent support.

  12. Asynchronous Notification Mechanism

  In some situations, there is a need for Mobile IPv4 entities, such as
  the home agent, foreign agent and mobile node to send and receive
  asynchronous notification events during a mobility session.  The base
  Mobile IP Specification [RFC3344] does not have a provision for this. A
  new MIPv4 message pair which would support asynchronous notifications,
  and a notification model describing how to use these messages has been
  proposed.  The working group will take on the existing MIPv4
  notification message draft as a starting point, review and update it as
  needed, and progress it as a standards track document.  In addition, the
  working group will also consider defining specific usages of the
  notification message based on the examples in the current document. 

We also propose to add the following milestones:

   Sep 2007	Base MIPv4 Mobile Network Support (Draft Std.) to IESG
   Nov 2007	MIPv4 Mobile Network Support for FAs (Draft Std.) to IESG
   Nov 2007	MIPv4 Mobile Network Support Dynamic Address Assignment (Draft Std.) to IESG

If you have comments or suggestions relating to the suggested update, please
send them to the list.

Best Regards,

	Henrik and Pete

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:06:11 +0200

This looks reasonable. I'm taking this for processing.

--Jari