Subject: Re: [Mip4] Proxy Mobile IPv4 in the WG charter

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:31:18 -0800 (PST)

Is there a netlmm4 WG? IMHO pmip4 could be standardized there if any? WGs can shut down if no new work left, and that is usually good practice, there is nothing wrong in doing such a thing.
  No offense to any one.

Regards,

--behcet

----- Original Message ----
From: "Tsirtsis, George" <[email-masked]>
To: Kent Leung (kleung) <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 9:13:03 AM
Subject: RE: [Mip4] Proxy Mobile IPv4 in the WG charter

Hi Kent,
 
I think it makes sense for the PMIPv4 protocol to be standardized by this group. I also think we should separate the way the protocol is used in the field from what the generic protocol is that might be applicable in various different systems. I think your draft is mixing the two issues together. 
 
IMO we should have a very simple and hopefully sort specification defining the changes (if any) to MIPv4 required so that the protocol can run in proxy mode. In addition, if it is deemed necessary/useful, we can have informational document(s) showing how PMIPv4 is used in various systems. 
 
I have some specific comments on the protocol itself but we can talk about that if/when this becomes a WG document.
 
Thanks
George 

From: Kent Leung (kleung) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 12:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mip4] Proxy Mobile IPv4 in the WG charter
 
Hi.  The draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode-01.txt draft describes using Mobile IPv4 in proxy mode to provide network-based mobility management.  There will need to be some more work on the draft.  But wanted to get some sense of support for Proxy Mobile IPv4 in this WG.  Certainly there are a few SDOs which have either adopted or interested in such mechanism.
 
Do folks want to take this on as a WG item eventually?
 
Kent
-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: "Tsirtsis, George" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:48:07 -0800

In the last IETF meeting there was agreement (to be confirmed on the
list) for a number of new items to be added to the MIP4 charter and a
few more things were left out because the WG has too many things to do.
I do not think MIP4 is going anywhere for a while longer.... 

________________________________

From: Behcet Sarikaya [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 10:31 AM
To: Tsirtsis, George
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mip4] Proxy Mobile IPv4 in the WG charter

Is there a netlmm4 WG? IMHO pmip4 could be standardized there if any?
WGs can shut down if no new work left, and that is usually good
practice, there is nothing wrong in doing such a thing.

  No offense to any one.

Regards,

--behcet

----- Original Message ----
From: "Tsirtsis, George" <[email-masked]>
To: Kent Leung (kleung) <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 9:13:03 AM
Subject: RE: [Mip4] Proxy Mobile IPv4 in the WG charter

Hi Kent,

I think it makes sense for the PMIPv4 protocol to be standardized by
this group. I also think we should separate the way the protocol is used
in the field from what the generic protocol is that might be applicable
in various different systems. I think your draft is mixing the two
issues together. 

IMO we should have a very simple and hopefully sort specification
defining the changes (if any) to MIPv4 required so that the protocol can
run in proxy mode. In addition, if it is deemed necessary/useful, we can
have informational document(s) showing how PMIPv4 is used in various
systems. 

I have some specific comments on the protocol itself but we can talk
about that if/when this becomes a WG document.

Thanks

George 

________________________________

Hi.  The draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode-01.txt draft describes using Mobile
IPv4 in proxy mode to provide network-based mobility management.  There
will need to be some more work on the draft.  But wanted to get some
sense of support for Proxy Mobile IPv4 in this WG.  Certainly there are
a few SDOs which have either adopted or interested in such mechanism.

Kent