Subject: [Mip4] CFP: The Second ACM International Workshop on UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2007) - Submission deadline (EXTENDED): May18, 2007

From: "Dario Pompili" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 00:36:15 -0400

[We apologize in advance if you receive multiple copies of this CFP]

__________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________
The Second ACM International Workshop on UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2007)
http://wuwnet07.engr.uconn.edu/ 

In conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2007                
September 14, 2007
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE
__________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________

Overview & Scope
****************

The oceans cover 71% of the earth's surface and represent one of the least
explored frontiers, yet the oceans are integral to climate regulation,
nutrient production, oil retrieval and transportation. As such, there is
significant interest in monitoring aquatic environments for scientific,
environmental, commercial, safety, and military reasons. While there is a
need for highly precise, real-time, fine grained spatio-temporal sampling of
the ocean environment, current methods such as remote telemetry and
sequential local sensing cannot satisfy current needs, let alone future
needs. The notion of an underwater network is relatively new due to the lack
of maturity of underwater acoustic communication. However, networks are
critical in order to achieve the monitoring goals noted above. The physical
challenges of acoustic underwater communication and the complexity of
diverse aquatic environments require us to completely re-think how a network
should be deployed in underwater environments. Challenges to be overcome by
underwater acoustic modem and network designers include: severely limited
range-dependent bandwidth and attenuation, extensive time-varying multi-path
propagation, and low speed of sound propagation in water resulting in long
propagation delays. Moreover, a unique feature of underwater networks is
that nodes can passively move due to water currents and dispersion. All the
above distinct features of underwater networks yield grand challenges for
every level of the network protocol suite.  

The goal of the proposed workshop is to bring together researchers and
practitioners in areas relevant to underwater networks. Thus, many layers of
the "stack" from the physical layer to the application layer will be
represented. The objective is to serve as a forum for presenting state of
the art research, exchanging ideas and experiences, and facilitating
interaction and collaboration.

The workshop will span one day, including presentations of technical papers,
keynote speeches, a panel session  and a poster/demo session. Submissions
for technical  papers should describe original research, not published  or
currently under review for other workshops, conferences,  or journals.     

Topics include, but are not limited to:

- Network architecture design
- Efficient acoustic communications
- Cooperative underwater communications 
- Medium access control
- Routing and forwarding
- Reliable data transfer
- Security and robustness
- Data storage and management
- Power and resource management
- Localization and synchronization
- Data fusion, dissemination, tracking
- Network modeling and simulations
- Network planning and deployment
- New techniques for aquatic applications
- New applications for underwater networks
- Testbed and systems: real-world experiences and lessons    

Submission Guidelines
*********************

All paper submissions will be handled electronically. Papers must be in PDF
format, no longer than 8 pages for full papers (4 pages for short papers),
and must follow ACM single-space, double-column format, 10 pt. Submitted
papers will be judged based on their quality and novelty through a rigorous
review process. All accepted papers will appear in the workshop proceedings.
Detailed instructions for paper submission will be posted on the workshop
website.    

Important Dates
***************

Submission deadline (EXTENDED): May 18, 2007
Acceptance notification: June 16, 2007
Camera-ready version due: June 30, 2007 
Workshop date: September 14, 2007

Organizing Committee
********************

General Co-Chairs:
Ian F. Akyildiz (Georgia Institute of Technology)
David Hung-Chang Du (University of Minnesota/NSF)

Technical Program Co-Chairs:
Robert H. Headrick (Office of Naval Research)
Michele Zorzi (University of Padova, Italy)

WUWNet Steering Committee:
Ian F. Akyildiz (Georgia Institute of Technology)
Jun-Hong Cui (University of Connecticut, Chair)
David Hung-Chang Du (University of Minnesota/NSF)
Kevin Fall (Intel Research, Berkeley)
John Heidemann (University of Southern California/ISI)
Urbashi Mitra (University of Southern California)
Milica Stojanovic (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

Publicity Co-Chairs:
Qilian Liang (University of Texas at Arlington)
Dario Pompili (Georgia Institute of Technology)

Work-In-Progress Poster Co-Chairs:
Volkan Rodoplu (University of California at Santa Barbara)
Wei Ye (University of Southern California/ISI)

Demo Co-Chairs:
Payman Arabshahi (University of Washington)
Geoffrey Xie (Naval Postgrad School)

Finance Chair:
Shengli Zhou (University of Connecticut)

Technical Program Committee (incomplete)
****************************************

Jun-Hong Cui (University of Connecticut)
Kevin Fall (Intel Research, Berkeley)
Joo Pedro Gomes (Instituto Superior Tecnico, Portugal)
Al Harris (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
Brian Levine (University of Massachusetts)
Urbashi Mitra (University of Southern California)
James Preisig (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI))
Robert Qiu (Tennessee Technological University)
Volkan Rodoplu  (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Sumit Roy (University of Washington)
Winston Seah (Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore)
Milica Stojanovic (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Yang Xiao (University of Alabama)
Wei Ye (University of Southern California/ISI)

*********************************************
Dario Pompili, Ph.D.

Broadband & Wireless Networking Laboratory 
School of Electrical & Computer Engineering 
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
Email: [email-masked]
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/dario/

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/