Subject: [Mip6] draft-soliman and draft-wakikawa

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:35:30 -0800

Gerardo, Keiichi, Hesham and Henrik,

draft-soliman and draft-wakikawa both talk about binding a v4
CoA to a v6 HoA and setting an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel between
the MN and the HA. the difference is in the way, the CoA is
conveyed to the HA. draft-soliman uses IPv4 mapped IPv6
address as the source address in the inner header. I believe
the packet format looks like the following.

   IPv4 hdr (src=CoA_v4, dst=HA_v4)
   IPv6 hdr (src=v4-mapped-v6-CoA, dst=HA_v6)
   Dst opts hdr
       HoA_v6
   Mobility hdr
       Binding Update

Hesham, let me know if this is not correct?

the HA extracts the IPv4 address from the v4-mapped-v6-CoA.

draft-wakikawa uses a mobility option for carrying the IPv4
address.

   IPv4 hdr (src=CoA_v4, dst=HA_v4)
   IPv6 hdr (src=HoA_v6, dst=HA_v6)
   Mobility hdr
       Binding Update
           IPv4 CoA mobility option

this is the main difference.

apart from this, is there is anything else in draft-soliman
that you think is important for the specific scenario we are
talking about (v6 MN/MR accessing v6 HA from a v4 only access
network).

draft-wakikawa, OTOH, also talks about the following. detailed
MN and HA behavior, IPsec SPD and SAD entries for securing the
IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel, NAT traversal, how to negotiate a
particular tunneling mechanism and new binding ack status
values.

personally, I prefer a new mobility option to carry the IPv4
CoA, because it makes processing on the HA simple. but we can
have the WG decide on this. I am open.

Vijay

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:45:53 +0200

Vijay Devarapalli wrote:
> I believe the [draft-soliman] packet format looks like the following.
> 
[...]
>   IPv6 hdr (src=HoA_v6, dst=HA_v6)

Vijay, thank you for posting this.  My headers for v4-traversal for MIP6 
look like this:

 >   IPv4 hdr (src=CoA_v4, dst=GW_v4)
 >   UDPv4 (src port, dst port)
 >   IPv6 hdr (src=v6-CoA, dst=HA_v6)
 >   Dst opts hdr
 >       HoA_v6
 >   Mobility hdr
 >       Binding Update

The src of the v4 header and the src/dst ports change if NAT is present.

Alex