Subject: [Mip6] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip6-firewalls-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Mobile IPv6 and Firewalls: Problem statement
	Author(s)	: F. Le, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mip6-firewalls-03.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2005-10-20
	
Network elements such as firewalls are an integral aspect of a
   majority of IP networks today, given the state of security in the
   Internet, threats, and vulnerabilities to data networks.  Current IP
   networks are predominantly based on IPv4 technology and hence
   firewalls have been designed for these networks.  Deployment of IPv6
   networks is currently progressing, albeit at a slower pace.
   Firewalls for IPv6 networks are still maturing and in development.

   Mobility support for IPv6 has been standardized as specified in RFC
   3775.  Given the fact that Mobile IPv6 is a recent standard, most
   firewalls available for IPv6 networks do not support Mobile IPv6.

   Unless firewalls are aware of Mobile IPv6 protocol details, these
   security devices will interfere in the smooth operation of the
   protocol and can be a detriment to deployment.  This document
   captures the issues that may arise in the deployment of IPv6 networks
   when they support Mobile IPv6 and firewalls.

   The issues are not only applicable to firewalls protecting enterprise
   networks, but are also applicable in 3G mobile networks such as GPRS/
   UMTS and cdma2000 networks.

   The goal of this Internet draft is to highlight the issues with
   firewalls and Mobile IPv6 and act as an enabler for further
   discussion.  Issues identified here can be solved by developing
   appropriate solutions in the MIP6 WG.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-firewalls-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mip6-firewalls-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-firewalls-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6