Subject: [Mip6] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip6-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Dual Stack Mobile IPv6 (DSMIPv6) for Hosts and Routers
	Author(s)	: H. Soliman, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mip6-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2005-10-20
	
   The current Mobile IPv6 and NEMO specification support only IPv6.
   Hence, this specification extends those standards to allow the
   registration of IPv4 addresses and prefixes, respectively, and the
   transport of both IPv4 and IPv6 packets over the tunnel to the HA.
   This specification allows also the Mobile Node to roam over both IPv6
   and IPv4, including the case where Network Address Translation is
   present on the path.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mip6-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Keiichi SHIMA <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:00:51 +0900 (JST)

Hello Hesham,

I've read the draft and have a few comments. (for now. may send more
later..)

- The draft seems discussing two separate issues.

I think, v4traversal and supporting IPv4 HoA/network are different
issues.  Don't we need to think an scenario, which doesn't need
v4traversal but need IPv4 communication, and vice versa?  In the
previous discussion (two months ago in the MIP6 mailing list, maybe),
you mentioned that separating these two issues add complexity.  But
I'm afraid I still don't understand what complexity is added when we
divide the above two issues.  It should be helpful if you could show
some examples.

- more detailed operational procedure is required

  The draft doesn't describe mobile router/home agent operation when a
  static IPv4 address or IPv4 mobile network prefix is used.  I think
  some text similar to the text in section 5 and 6 of my
  draft(draft-shima-nemo-v4prefix) is required.

- typo in page14,

The source and dst addresses described in a BA message are wrong.

>    B. Binding acknowledgement sent by the home agent:
>               IPv4 header (src=V4ADDR, dst=HAADDR)
>                  [UDP header] (If V4ADDR != V4CoA)
>                    IPv6 header (src=V4CoA, dst=HAADDR)
>                       Route HRD Type 2
>                           HOA (IPv6 home address)
>                       Mobility header
>                           BA ([IPv4 ACK], NAT DET)

The outer source should be HAADDR and dst should be V4ADDR.
The inner source should be HAADDR and dst should be V4CoA.

- in page 16

>    - If the binding update is accepted for the IPv4 home address, the
>      home agent MUST create a binding cache entry for the IPv4 home
>      address/prefix. If a single IPv4 home address were requested, it
                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>      MAY be stored in the IPv4-mapped IPv6 address format. The home
       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>      agent MUST include an IPv4 acknowledgement option in the mobility
>      header containing the binding acknowledgement.

What does the above underlined text mean?  It seems you are discussing
implementation specific thing, which should not be discussed in the
specification.

- (minor) terminology

  I don't think the word 'IPv4 home address' is a good wording, since
  the word is already used by MIP4.  So, maybe other wording, such as
  'IPv4 static address' seems better.

---
Keiichi SHIMA
IIJ Research Laboratory <[email-masked]>
KAME Project <[email-masked]>