Subject: RE: [Mip6] draft-dupont-mip6-dhaadharmful-00.txt

From: "Narayanan Vidya-CVN065" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:37:53 -0400

>    
> => what I don't understand is how the MN gets first the 
> non-anycast address?

I have the same confusion. 

> If it has already a HA and wants just to 
> get other available HA IMHO HA-switch (as a re-assignment 
> mechanism) is a better solution. 

Yes, this is a switch case and not a bootstrapping case. 

> 
>    > When you are doing discovery based on service name - 
> say, "mip6" - this
>    > is equivalent to zero config - it is a well known 
> service name and
>    > doesn't really require per-MN configuration.
>    
> => I disagree a bit: you need a name (FQDN) to query about.
> 

True. The FQDN can be a common and well-known one - that was really my
point. 

>    
> => a property of the DNS (and of the current DHAAD but this 
> could be changed) is the answer should never rely on who 
> sends the question or where it comes from. So "my HA" doesn't 
> make sense, but of course "myHA.example.com"
> or "...msp.example.com" do.
> 

Yes, so - "example.com" is something the MN already knows (it most
likely belongs to example.com"). If "myHA" is the well known service
name for mip6 HAs, "myHA.example.com" can be created by the MN easily. I
suppose one could argue that it still requires *some* configuration - it
seems to be still better than configuring a particular home subnet to
me. 

Thanks,
Vidya

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:34:27 +0200

> I have the same confusion.

It manually configures its home link prefix (instead of pre-configuring
"home.com") and then it adds to it a 'reserved' suffix like
feff:ffff:ffff:ffee which is not anycast.

> True. The FQDN can be a common and well-known one - that was really my

It can't be "well-known" like "well-known port numbers".  A user of a
mobile may pre-configure "home.com" while another may reconfigure
"house.com", if the two users have different home networks, different
home providers.

> seems to be still better than configuring a particular home subnet to me.

Same with non-anycast DHAAD, the mobile must have some
pre-configuration, like the home link prefix, which makes more sense
that pre-configuring a domain name I believe.

Alex

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:49:54 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> IMHO to pre-config the home link prefix or to pre-config a domain
name which will be resolved into the home link prefix are equivalent.
The DNS request adds an indirection which can be used to make the home
link prefix dynamic... The choice between is clearly a matter of taste
and it is very easy to implement both.

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:57:07 +0200

> and it is very easy to implement both.

I don't know how to make DNS resolve calls in the kernel and I'd like to
keep all MIP6 IP mobility management in the kernel.

Alex

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:39:44 +0200

I don't know how to make DNS resolve calls in the kernel

=> I know how (it is needed to implement good opportunistic encryption).

   and I'd like to keep all MIP6 IP mobility management in the kernel.

=> MIPL (Linux) and SHISA (BSD) have just done the opposite move.
   
BTW bootstrapping begins by the configuration so I don't believe you
really need to add a DNS resolver in your kernel...

Regards