Subject: RE: [Mip6] draft-dupont-mip6-dhaadharmful-00.txt

From: "Kilian Weniger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:28:39 +0200

> I think it is impossible to provide load balancing between 
> different HAs
> on different subnets while maintaining a permanent Home 
> Address for the
> Mobile Node.
 
I wouldn't say that it is impossible, at least not if you think of load
balancing in terms of the amount of data traffic routed over an HA in
bi-directional tunneling mode. For instance, draft-weniger-rota-01 or
draft-thubert-nemo-global-haha-01.txt might in principle enable load
balancing between different HAs on different subnets while maintaining a
permanent Home Address. However, both solutions are not specifically
designed for load balancing, e.g., a mechanism to exchange load
conditions across subnets would be needed.

Regards,

Kilian

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:22:37 +0200

Kilian Weniger wrote:
>> different HAs on different subnets while maintaining a permanent 
>> Home Address for the Mobile Node.
> 
> I wouldn't say that it is impossible, at least not if you think of 
> load balancing in terms of the amount of data traffic routed over an 
> HA in bi-directional tunneling mode. For instance, 
> draft-weniger-rota-01 or draft-thubert-nemo-global-haha-01.txt might 
> in principle enable load balancing between different HAs on different
>  subnets while maintaining a permanent Home Address.

For Global HAHA: after a new HA is selected, the packets from CN to HoA
must reach the new HA instead of the old HA; this can be achieved with
some form of route update, or tunneling.  If route updates can be used
on a global scale (Global HAHA) then there's no need of Mobile IPv6 at
all, just update the routes between CN and HoA and make MN keep the same
HoA wherever it goes.  If tunnelling between old HA and new HA is used
then after each HA re-selection all previous HAs are being used,
tunnelling from one to another.

For draft-weniger-rota-01: I have to read it first.

> However, both solutions are not specifically designed for load
> balancing, e.g., a mechanism to exchange load conditions across
> subnets would be needed.

I agree.

Alex