Subject: [Mip6] Generalizing draft-jang-dhc-haopt for MIPv6 support in DHCP

From: "Kent Leung \(kleung\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:56:59 -0800

Hi.   This draft should probably be named draft-jang-dhc-mip6options.

1) There were talks of folding this draft into
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc.  I would prefer to keep
the DHCP draft as standalone as an independent DHCP options document for
MIPv6.  How is this going to be decided?

2) Can we add the Home Address Option to the DHCP draft to provide
general MIPv6 capability.  This allows the Home Address to be assigned
by the network via DHCPv6.  There are solutions that use DHCP to obtain
the Home Address for MN to register.  The Home Agent address can be
obtained via DHCP, so seems natural for the HoA to be available as well.
There doesn't seem to be any harm for this additional option in the
draft.

3) Any other MIPv6 attributes that should be conveyed in DHCP Options?

Kent

--
     |         |                   Kent Leung
    :|:       :|:                  IP Mobility Development
   :|||:      :|||:                 Internet Technologies Division
  :|||||||:  :|||||||:                Voice: +1.408.526.5030
.:|||||||||:.:|||||||||:.              Email: [email-masked]
c i s c o S y s t e m s  http://www.ciscopress.com/title/158705132X

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:08:54 +0200

Hi.   This draft should probably be named draft-jang-dhc-mip6options.
1) There were talks of folding this draft into
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc.  I would prefer to keep the
DHCP draft as standalone as an independent DHCP options document for MIPv6. 
How is this going to be decided?

Alper>>> FWIW, the authors also think that it makes sense to keep this I-D a
standalone one.

2) Can we add the Home Address Option to the DHCP draft to provide general
MIPv6 capability.  This allows the Home Address to be assigned by the
network via DHCPv6.  There are solutions that use DHCP to obtain the Home
Address for MN to register.  The Home Agent address can be obtained via
DHCP, so seems natural for the HoA to be available as well.  There doesn't
seem to be any harm for this additional option in the draft.

Alper>>> It sounds useful and I cannot think of any problems with doing so.

Alper.