Subject: [Mip6] CFP: ACM Workshop on Underwater Networks (WUWNet 2006)

From: Wei Ye <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 10:09:10 -0700

Our Apologies if you have received multiple copies of the CFP.

Volkan Rodoplu and Wei Ye
WUWNet 2006 Publicity Co-Chairs

-----------------------------------------------------
      The First ACM International Workshop on
         UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2006)
           http://wuwnet.engr.uconn.edu/

        In conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2006
                 September 29, 2006
           Los Angeles, California, USA
            Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE
-----------------------------------------------------

Overview & Scope  
****************

The oceans cover 71% of the earth's surface and represent 
one of the least explored frontiers, yet the oceans are 
integral to climate regulation, nutrient production, oil 
retrieval and transportation. As such, there is significant 
interest in monitoring aquatic environments for scientific, 
environmental, commercial, safety, and military reasons. 
While there is a need for highly precise, real-time, fine 
grained spatio-temporal sampling of the ocean environment, 
current methods such as remote telemetry and sequential 
local sensing cannot satisfy current needs, let alone 
future needs. The notion of an underwater network is 
relatively new due to the lack of maturity of underwater 
acoustic communication. However, networks are necessary 
in order to achieve the monitoring goals noted above. The 
physical challenges of acoustic underwater communication 
require us to completely re-think how a network should be 
designed and deployed in this environment. Challenges to 
be overcome by underwater acoustic modem and network 
designers include: severely limited range-dependent bandwidth 
and attenuation, extensive time-varying multipath propagation, 
and low speed of sound propagation in water resulting in long 
propagation delays. Moreover, a unique feature of underwater 
networks is that the environment is constantly mobile, naturally 
causing the node passive mobility. All the above distinct 
features of underwater networks yield new challenges for every 
level of the network protocol suite.

The goal of the proposed workshop is to bring together 
researchers and practioners in areas relevant to underwater 
networks. Thus, many layers of the "stack" from the physical 
layer to the application layer will be represented. The objective 
is to serve as a forum for presenting state of the art research, 
exchanging ideas and experiences, and facilitating interaction 
and collaboration. 

The workshop will span one day, including presentations of technical 
papers, tutorial/survey papers, a panel session and a poster/demo 
session. Submissions for regular technical papers and poster/demo 
extended abstracts should describe original research, not published 
or currently under review for other workshops, conferences, or
journals.   

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

-	Network architecture design 
-	Efficient acoustic communications
-	Cooperative underwater communications
-	Medium access control
-	Routing and forwarding
-	Reliable data transfer
-	Security and robustness
-	Power management
-	Data storage and management 
-	Localization and synchronization
-	Data fusion, dissemination, tracking
-	Network modeling and simulations
-	Capacity analysis
-	New techniques for aquatic applications
-	New applications for underwater networks

Submission Guidelines
*********************

All paper submissions will be handled electronically. Papers must 
be in PDF format, no longer than 8 pages for regular papers (10 
pages for tutorial/survey papers and 4 pages for poster/demo papers), 
and must follow ACM single-space, double-column format, 10 pt. 
Submitted papers will be judged based on their quality and novelty 
through a rigorous review process. Over-length papers will be 
automatically rejected. Detailed instructions for paper submission
are posted on the workshop website.

Important Dates
***************

Submission deadline: June 30, 2006
Acceptance notification: July 28, 2006
Camera-ready version: August 11, 2006
Workshop date: September 29, 2006

Organizing Committee
********************
 
General Co-chairs: 

Jun-Hong Cui (University of Connecticut) 
Urbashi Mitra (University of Southern California)

Technical Program Co-chairs:

Kevin Fall (Intel Research, Berkeley)
Milica Stojanovic (MIT/WHOI)

Publicity Co-chairs:

Volkan Rodoplu (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Wei Ye (USC/ISI)

Treasurer:

Shengli Zhou (University of Connecticut)

Publications Chair:

Xiuzhen Cheng (George Washington University)

Technical Program Committee
***************************

Ian Akyildiz (Georgia Institute of Technology) 
Lee Freitag (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)
Mario Gerla (University of California, Los Angeles)
João Pedro Gomes (Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal)
John Heidemann (USC/ISI)
Ronald A. Iltis (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Jim Kurose (University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
Mehul Motani (National University of Singapore)
Joseph A. Rice (Naval Postgraduate School)
Daniela Rus (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Mani Srivastava (University of California, Los Angeles)
Yongguang Zhang (Microsoft Research Asia, China)
Michele Zorzi (Universita'di Ferrara, Italy) 

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6