Subject: [Mip6] Certificate Support for the MIPv6 Bootstrapping Split Scenario

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:40:30 +0200

Hi all

in our attempt to complete the work on the Diameter Mobile IPv6 
bootstrapping documents we encountered the following issue:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-07.txt 
talks about the possibility to perform a certificate based user 
authentication by the home agent. That's fine.

There is, however, the question what that implies for Diameter backend 
infrastructure usage. Did the group assume that just the authentication 
part will be done locally but authorization and accounting still with 
the AAA server?  Or, was everything supposed to be done locally at the 
home agent without any Diameter interaction to the Diameter server?

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "Giaretta, Gerardo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:34:47 -0700

Hi Hannes,

The bootstrapping draft is not clear on this, because the AAA
interactions requirements are discussed in draft-ietf-mip6-aaa-ha-goals.

Unfortunately this draft is now expired but I'm working on a new
version.
Based on the last version there is the following goal:

   G2.2  The HA MUST be able to query the AAAH server to verify Mobile
      IPv6 service authorization for the mobile node.

This goal is independent of the authentication method used. Therefore I
think that the Diameter backend infrastructure should be designed in a
flexible way to support the following scenarios: 

- both authentication and authorization are performed via the AAA
backend
- authentication is done locally while authorization is performed by the
AAA server
- both authentication and authorization are performed locally

Ciao
Gerardo

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Hannes Tschofenig [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 11:41 AM
> To: Mobile IPv6 Mailing List; [email-masked]
> Subject: [Dime] Certificate Support for the MIPv6 Bootstrapping
> SplitScenario
> 
> Hi all
> 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-
> 07.txt
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime