Subject: [Mip6] Difference between RFC4285/RFC4285bis and MIPv4 Authentication

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:30:36 +0200

Hi Alpesh, Kent, Mohamed, Haseeb, Kuntal,
Hi all,

RFC 4285 specifies the MIPv6 Authentication protocol. It is currently 
being revised with
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-rfc4285bis-00.txt

In DIME we are working on the backend infrastructure support for the 
bootstrapping. Now, a question came up what the difference between
RFC4285/RFC4285bis and the corresponding MIPv4 authentication procedure is.

RFC4285/RFC4285bis only says:
"
   The authentication mechanism proposed here is similar to the
   authentication mechanism used in Mobile IPv4 [RFC3344].
"

Btw, I believe that a reference to RFC 3344 alone is insufficient given 
that RFC 3344 was updated by RFC 4721. Furthermore, RFC 3344 is 
currently being revised as well.

I assume that it is a desire of RFC4285/RFC4285bis work to re-use the 
existing AAA server implementation as much as possible. Is this 
assumption correct?
In DIME we would like to understand what the differences are. Could 
someone explain them to us?

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6