Subject: [Mip6] [Re] AD review of mipshop-fh80216e

From: Heejin Jang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 02:05:21 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Jari.

We appreciate your kind and helpful feedback for this document.

Based on your comments, we will revise the draft and submit a new one
after the upcoming ietf meeting.
Kindly see my inline answer.

On 11/30/07, Heejin Jang <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ------ Original Message -------
> Sender : Jari Arkko<[email-masked]>
> Date   : 2007-11-27 21:44 (GMT+09:00)
> Title  : AD review of mipshop-fh80216e
>
> I have done my AD review on this document. I have the following comments:
>
> 1. The document needs to be clearer about when FMIP procedures are
> needed upon link change, and when not. Section 5.2, for instance, says
> "On receiving the LHI, the IP layer sends an FBU to the PAR." But this
> appears to be necessary only if the FMIP operations (proxy router
> solications) indicate that a router and subnet change is implied by the
> access point change. Same in Section 5.3.
>

Ok, I think that the unclearness results from omitting some descriptions about
MN's past and current status in the FMIPv6 procedures when the MN
receives primitives. We'll clearly mention it during the next
revision.

>
> 2. The spec needs to document how it deals with the issues from RFC 4907
> Section 2.

Ok. We'll see RFC4907 and and describe in the draft how it will deal
those issues.

> 3. Has there been review in 802.16, 802.21, Wimax Forum, or 16ng WGs?

As Vijay answered, the draft has been reviewed by 16ng experts and
went through a Mipshop & 16ng joint WGLC. During 16ng review, a 16ng
chair made it reviewed by other SDO participants, IEEE 802.21
(Yoshihiro Ohba), WiMax Forum (Jinhyeock Choi) (and also Netlmm WG
(Jonne Soininen)) . We also consult a 802.21 secretary (Xiaoyu Liu) to
be sure of the use of proper MIH primitives.
Do you think that the draft needs to be reviewed by SDOs more before Last call?

> 4. Can you confirm that 802.21 LD is given even for neighboring, scanned
> links? I.e., even if you still are on your current link, you will an LD
> if another cell is heard nearby?

In my understanding, yes. Usually the wireless device such as WLAN
card can detect the neighboring links though it still on the current
link if the neighboring links are using same wireless technology. For
e.g., in IETF meeting, we can see multiple APs except the AP used
currently.
I'm not sure I got the point of this question .

> 5. What is "secure IP address management in 802.16e", mentioned in the
> security considerations? I am surprised to hear of this, as no mention
> of it has appeared in 16ng WG work.

"Particularly, the 802.16e architecture supports a number of mandatory
authentication mechanisms, for example, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM and EAP-AKA,
as well as, secure IP address management between the MN and its
network entity." in the draft.

This sentence means that 802.16e architecture (may) support the secure
IP address management between MN & AR (ASN-GW) which is described in
5.3 (security) of WiMAX release 1.1.2 document. However, the sentence
is not clear and confusable because secure IP address management can
be supported in WiMAX system not in 802.16e. We will revise it this
sentence during the revision.

- Best Regards,
Heejin.

> I am expecting a revised draft and answers to the questions above.
>
> Jari
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6