Subject: [MEXT] A comment on draft-ietf-monami6-multiplecoa-09.txt

From: "Juan A. Ternero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:59:04 +0200

Dear members:
Length field in Binding Identifier Mobility Option is explained
as follows:
"Length

8-bit unsigned integer.  Length of the option, in octets,
excluding the Type and Length fields.  It MUST be set to either 4,
12, or 20 depending on the care-of address field.  When the
care-of address is not carried by this option, the length value
MUST be set to 4.  If the IPv4 care-of address is stored in the
care-of address field, the length MUST be 12.  Otherwise, the
Length value MUST be set to 20 for IPv6 care-of address."

According to that, possible values of length field are only 4-12-20
(4=No_CoA, 12=IPv4_CoA, 20=IPv6_CoA).

I have read last versions of the draft and I have detected that
possible values of this field changed from 4-8-20 in version 06
to 4-12-20 in version 07.
I think the correct ones are 4-8-20, because an IPv4 address only
adds 4 bytes to the option.

In that case, alignment should be modified from:

"The Binding Identifier Mobility Option has an alignment requirement
of 2n if the Care-of Address field is not present. Otherwise, it has
the alignment requirement of 8n + 2."

to

"The Binding Identifier Mobility Option has an alignment requirement
of 2n if the Care-of Address field is not present, 4n+2 if the Care-of
Address field stores an IPv4 address, an 8n+2 if the Care-of Address
field stores an IPv6 address."

-- 
Regards,
Juan A. Ternero
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext