Subject: [MLS] Progress update; cancel MLS meeting at IETF 111?

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:56:01 -0400

Hi all,

We MLS protocol spec editors wanted to provide an update on plans and
progress as we approach the IETF meeting.  The short version here is: We
should probably cancel the MLS meeting at IETF in favor of a meeting about
a month later.

On the interop front: The MLSpp and OpenMLS teams have been having periodic
interop calls, and are getting close to interop.  As of this writing, the
two stacks are interoperating on all test vectors except the TreeKEM test
vector.  The next phase is to verify compatibility on protocol operations,
which we plan to ramp up work on in August, with a goal of getting verified
interop by the end of the month.  Other implementations are of course
welcome to join in!  We are coordinating on Wire; please let me know if we
should add you to the channel.

On the spec front: The last interim flagged several issues we had where the
authors were going to propose a way forward, and we haven’t made progress
on any of them.  We are planning to accelerate work on this in August, with
a goal of having most of the outstanding PRs and issues done by about the
same time as the interop work. Obviously, please file any remaining
PRs/issues ASAP.

With all that, it looks like we’ll be in a good position to issue WGLC in
~September.  Instead of meeting in a couple of weeks at the IETF, it would
probably be more effective to meet at the end of August / early September
to look at any last lessons learned from interop testing, and any
non-trivial PR/issue resolutions that need WG attention.

Cheers,

Richard and Raphael

---

From: Nick Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 13:41:01 -0400

MLS group,

We're going to cancel the IETF meeting next week and look into setting up
an interim in the near future.

Best
Nick & Sean

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 11:56 AM Richard Barnes <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On the interop front: The MLSpp and OpenMLS teams have been having
> periodic interop calls, and are getting close to interop.  As of this
> writing, the two stacks are interoperating on all test vectors except the
> TreeKEM test vector.  The next phase is to verify compatibility on protocol
> operations, which we plan to ramp up work on in August, with a goal of
> getting verified interop by the end of the month.  Other implementations
> are of course welcome to join in!  We are coordinating on Wire; please let
> me know if we should add you to the channel.
>
> On the spec front: The last interim flagged several issues we had where
> the authors were going to propose a way forward, and we haven’t made
> progress on any of them.  We are planning to accelerate work on this in
> August, with a goal of having most of the outstanding PRs and issues done
> by about the same time as the interop work. Obviously, please file any
> remaining PRs/issues ASAP.
>
> _______________________________________________
> MLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mls
>