Subject: [MLS] consistent labeling conventions for tree diagrams

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 05:57:35 -0700

Hi,
The MLS protocol draft uses many different and inconsistent labeling
conventions in the ASCII art of ratchet trees.

In Section 5.1, non-leaf nodes are labeled with the leaf nodes descendants
(ex: AB; EF ; ABCD )
In Section 5.2, a parent node is labeled CD[C] (presumably to indicate an
unmerged node?)
In Section 5.4, on diagram has parent nodes labeled with letters E and G ;
another diagram uses np[0] and np[1]

I propose that we use letters to refer to leaf nodes, and use the node
index to refer to all non-leaf nodes, followed by a table indicating any
special properties (blank parent nodes, unmerged leaves, etc).

Thanks,
-rohan

*Rohan Mahy  *l  Vice President Engineering, Architecture

Chat: @rohan_wire on Wire

Wire <https://wire.com/en/download/> - Secure team messaging.

*Zeta Project Germany GmbH  *l  Rosenthaler Straße 40,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>10178
Berlin,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>
Germany
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Morten J. Broegger

HRB 149847 beim Handelsregister Charlottenburg, Berlin

VAT-ID DE288748675