Subject: [MMUSIC] a trivial question

From: Mukul Purohit <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:17:13 +0530

hi,

I have been going through RTSP draft, and want some clarity on one 
point. Is it a valid assumtion that a client will not send multiple RTSP 
requests simultaneously for a single session, i. e. before getting 
response for a previous request, another request is sent.

An example of such situation is when a client want to send multiple 
SETUP (also TEARDOWN) request for different media, simultaneously.

The state machine  (which is for server I suppose) described in the 
draft doesnt say that one cannot do multiple sends ( or I have not found 
it). So a client implementation may be such that  it sends multiple 
requests (to save upon some delay in round-trip), although at the cost 
of  increase complexity at client. Will this be processed properly ?

thanks and regards
mukul

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:13:38 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> of  increase complexity at client. Will this be processed properly ?

This should be valid, so long as the requests are all valid in context.

Rob

-- 
Rob Lanphier, Program Manager  --  Interoperability, RealNetworks
http://helixcommunity.org http://rtsp.org http://realnetworks.com

---

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jul 2002 18:30:40 +0300

Mukul Purohit <[email-masked]> writes:
>I have been going through RTSP draft, and want some clarity on one point. Is
>it a valid assumtion that a client will not send multiple RTSP requests
>simultaneously for a single session, i. e. before getting response for a
>previous request, another request is sent.

	No. See section 9.1:

9.1 Pipelining

   A client that supports persistent connections or connectionless mode
   MAY "pipeline" its requests (i.e., send multiple requests without
   waiting for each response). A server MUST send its responses to those
   requests in the same order that the requests were received.

	I recall it has been discussed whether some pipelined requests
	(like multiple PLAYs) make any sense, but pipelining can be used
	in RTSP.

						Pekka