Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Test FLUTE for Service/Session Announcement for Multicast Apps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:14:56 +0100

Sami,

first the URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-img-req-00.txt
is stale, i think the correct one is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-img-req-01.txt

Secondly could you explain if/why there is a specific need for a "joint" work
between program guides and their mulitcast distribution ?

Let me explain, my assumption is  that one would either

1)  browse the program guide using Web technologies (HTTP etc).
and there is the specific work to define a standard format for such content

2) or receive the program guide as an equivalent  bundle of files
(i.e. the browser is used the same way but the files are local copies)

and I agree in this last case an obvious choice is to use something like FLUTE
for the delivery of the program guide file bundle ...

but why is there a need for a connection between the 2 things
i.e. the description format and the delivery protocol ?

regards,

Philippe Gentric
Chief Architect
Philips Software
[email-masked]
http://www.software.philips.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Sami Peltotalo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:43:31 +0200

Hi Philippe,

Yes the URL was old (old email).

> between program guides and their mulitcast distribution ?

I think there is no need for special "joint" work. It is just one use case.
How many multicast distribution protocols are available currently? Is there
need for better announcement protocol than SAP?

> i.e. the description format and the delivery protocol ?

There is absolutely no need for this kind of connection. Delivery protocol
may set some restrictions
to the used description format. For example SAP can't deliver large XML or
HTML media guides.

Cheers, Sami