Subject: [MMUSIC] Fractions of seconds in NPT in RTSP

From: "Philip Grove" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:53:52 +0100

In section 3.6 "Normal Play Time" of RFC 2326 in the grammar for
npt-range you can find this line:
npt-hhmmss      =  npt-hh ":" npt-mm ":" npt-ss [ "." *DIGIT ]

Likewise this line can be found in section 3.5 of
draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-05.txt.

What bothers me is the part that says [ "." *DIGIT ]. I don't really
under stand the point in allowing zero digits in the optional fraction
part of NPT. The same can be seen in the grammar for npt-sec in the line
above in both documents. I would think that writing [ "." 1*DIGIT ]
would make more sense, or if there is a reason making it more clear.

Philip Grove

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:07:39 +0100

Hi Philip,

We have discussed this grammar. I understand and agree that if we were 
specifying RTSP for the first time, I would definitely vote for changing 
it. However today I would not like to change it as it would change what 
is allowed by the grammar. Thus having this change has impact on 
backwards compatibility.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]