Subject: [MMUSIC] Comments/questions on draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-00

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:09:32 -0600

Hi Jonathan,

Per my note on the SIPPING WG mailing list around your NAT scenarios draft
based on ICE, I also had a few comments on the ICE draft itself.  My primary
comments are around the prioritization of the transport addresses, with a
few minor nits also noted:

1) Page 12, section 5.3, Prioritizing the Transport Addresses.  It seems
that the effectiveness of ICE is highly dependent upon the choices of
qvalues in terms of getting the optimal path. However, the current
recommendations for the assigning priorities are fairly imprecise relative
to the overall importance of this aspect of the algorithm.  Based on the
point in the second paragraph of section 5.3,  it seems that rather than a
client having knowledge of topology, with ICE, the client is now configured
with these relative priorities reflected in the qvalues, which are an
indirect reflection of the network configuration.  So, it seems that it
might be useful to either be more prescriptive on what priorities would give
the most desireable results for particular configarations (eg per the
scenarios document) or to determine a formula or equation by which the
priorities SHOULD be defined, including factors such as the number of
intermediaries, etc.  At a minimum, some examples in this document would be
useful, perhaps just bringing in a snippet or 2 from the scenarios draft.  

2) Page 12, section 5.3,  Why is it that you would want the local addresses
obtained from VPN interfaces to be lowest priority?    It would seem that
there are some cases where you might want that to be a higher priority.

3) Page 17, section 5.7, 3rd sentence, "...it SHOULD just sent..." should be
"...it SHOULD just send...".

4) Page 18, section 5.8, OPEN ISSUE: "doesnt" should be "doesn't"

5) Page 34, Reference [4] RFC 3261, since the qvalue in the alt-attibute is
from RFC 3261, shouldn't this be a normative reference?  

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
972-684-5432

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic