Subject: [MMUSIC] Key mgmt extensions

From: Mats Näslund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:22:33 +0100

Dear all,

Roughly 1-2 weeks ago there was a discussion thread on this list
concerning possible security problems with offering several key
mgmt options in draft-ietf-mmusic-kmgmt-ext-11.txt

We have since had some discussion with Martin and Steffen, and we
have come to an agreement that we do not see any security issues,
but would anyway like to add the following text to clarify the
intention of the mechanism:

"Note that the multiple offer option has been added to optimize
signaling overhead in case the Initiator knows some key (e.g. a
public key) that the Responder has, but is unsure of what protocol
the Responder supports. The mechanism is not intended to negotiate
options within one and the same protocol."

Even if there are no security problems, we want to avoid
overly complex uses of the mechanism, e.g. it could be used
to duplicate functionality that is anyway already present
in some key mgmt protocol, and create multiple ways of doing
the same thing.

A new draft will submitted with this text included.

Best,

/Mats

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic