Subject: [MMUSIC] SDP description for HTTP/RTSP streams

From: Nicholas Humfrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:28:09 +0000

Hi,

I have been trawling the web to see if there is an official way to 
describe a RTSP/HTTP (URI) stream using SDP.

I have seen some SDP descriptions that put 'http' into the transport 
in m=, the server in c=, and the path as an attribute.

Has there been any Internet draft to standardize this ?

I have mixed feelings about it - half of me thinks it is 'wrong' and 
there are better ways of describing these types of (evil ;-) 
shoutcast/icecast streams as URIs (M3U, PLS).

But the other half of me thinks it would be nice to be able to 
describe all types of media streams using SDP and announce them over 
SAP. And store them in a common format in directories of streams.

nick.

PS. Advertisement for my two perl modules:

http://search.cpan.org/~njh/Net-SAP/
http://search.cpan.org/~njh/Net-SDP/

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:12:20 -0800

Hi Nick,

I'll leave it to others to describe the current status for various
specifications for this, since I'm very rusty on things.  The RTSP
specification itself describes how to do this for RTSP.  Additionally, I
wrote a draft for how to do this with HTTP which was fairly well
received, but the motivation for pushing it forward was fleeting.

Here's the spec:
http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/mmusic/53/id/draft-lanphier-radplay-00.txt

If you'd like to pick up the torch and carry it forward, modifying it as
appropriate, I'd be happy to hand it off to you.

Rob

-- 
Rob Lanphier, Development Support Manager - RealNetworks
Helix Community: http://helixcommunity.org 
Development Support:
http://www.realnetworks.com/products/support/devsupport