Subject: [MMUSIC] What is the necessity for using RTP/UDP instead of HTTP/TCP to tr ansmit video content?

From: "Fan, Chen (Chen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:46:29 +0800

Folks,

Maybe this is a very naive question, but when I was asked this question, I
don't think I have many strong reasons.

One benefit of using RTP/UDP is the synchronization capability, but we can
also insert timestamps into the HTTP packets to realize the synchronization.

The other  benefit of using RTP/UDP is that UDP does not impose any repeat
transmission, which can reduce the network overhead. However, to guarantee
the end2end video transmission quality, usually the application layer will
use the repeat transmission mechanism in some cases. 

In addition, to penetrate the firewalls, HTTP tunnel is usually used to
encapsulate the RTP packets, so, why don't we just use HTTP for video
streaming? I don't see any stop signs on this way...

Best regards
Chen

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:04:49 -0500

[This is really a question for the AVT working group]

> streaming? I don't see any stop signs on this way...

Inappropriate congestion response and retransmission behaviour are the 
most obvious reasons, especially for applications with a requirement 
for low end to end latency.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/