Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Requirement on using Allow in media resource specific OPTIONS responses

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:57:40 +0100

Hi,

It has come to my knowledge that the current specification of usage of 
Allow header may be to free to be useful.

Currently OPTIONS method text says:

    Regardless of scope of the request, the Public header MUST always be
    included in the OPTIONS response listing the methods that are
    supported by the responding RTSP agent. In addition, if the scope of
    the request is limited to a media resource, the Allow header MAY be
    included in the response to enumerate the set of methods that are
    allowed for that resource.

Thus a client indicating a specific media resource can not be guaranteed 
to get an correct indication if the media resource specific support is 
limited compared to the general capabilities. Therefore I would propose 
to change this to:

    Regardless of scope of the request, the Public header MUST always be
    included in the OPTIONS response listing the methods that are
    supported by the responding RTSP agent. In addition, if the scope of
    the request is limited to a media resource, the Allow header MUST be
    included in the response to enumerate the set of methods that are
    allowed for that resource unless the set of methods completely
    matches the set in the Public header.

So what do you say about such a change?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Aravind Narasimhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:42:10 -0600

I think this is a good change to ensure that the OPTIONS response is clear.

Aravind

Magnus Westerlund wrote:

> Thus a client indicating a specific media resource can not be 
> guaranteed to get an correct indication if the media resource specific 
> support is limited compared to the general capabilities. Therefore I 
> would propose to change this to:
>