Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Requirement on using Allow in media resource specific OPTIONS responses

From: "Thomas Zeng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:56:24 -0800

Hi Magnus:

Our implementation only includes "Allow" header for any resource
specific URL in the OPTIONS response.

I like your proposal to mandate "Public" header in such cases, even
though it means our implementation has to change. 

It will make the standard less ambiguous.

Thanks,
-thomas

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:57:40 +0100
Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Requirement on using Allow in media resource
specific OPTIONS responses
To: "mmusic (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>

Hi,

It has come to my knowledge that the current specification of usage of
Allow header may be to free to be useful.

Currently OPTIONS method text says:

   Regardless of scope of the request, the Public header MUST always be
   included in the OPTIONS response listing the methods that are
   supported by the responding RTSP agent. In addition, if the scope of
   the request is limited to a media resource, the Allow header MAY be
   included in the response to enumerate the set of methods that are
   allowed for that resource.

Thus a client indicating a specific media resource can not be guaranteed
to get an correct indication if the media resource specific support is
limited compared to the general capabilities. Therefore I would propose
to change this to:

   Regardless of scope of the request, the Public header MUST always be
   included in the OPTIONS response listing the methods that are
   supported by the responding RTSP agent. In addition, if the scope of
   the request is limited to a media resource, the Allow header MUST be
   included in the response to enumerate the set of methods that are
   allowed for that resource unless the set of methods completely
   matches the set in the Public header.

So what do you say about such a change?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:33:36 +0100

Hi Thomas,

My proposed change was not around Public header, which already has been 
mandated for a while. The change is to ensure that clients can rely on 
receiving a Allow header if there is a difference with Public header for 
the specified resource.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund