Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] How to decide the transport header in RTSP SETUP?

From: "Jae-Hwan Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:26:47 +0900

Hi chen,

AFAIK, there is no way to signal it in the current RTSP specification.
You need to try and reconnect with different transport like
TCP-interleaved. Basically, the server can't know where it is as well.
Even though the server locates on a public Internet, the client might be
behind of firewall. Therefore, IMHO, determining whether there is
Firewall or not is out of scope of the streaming server.

Cheers,

Jae-Hwan

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Fan Chen
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 11:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] How to decide the transport header in RTSP SETUP?

Hi,

We are implementing an RTSP client which can interoperate with Darwin
streaming server. 

Sometimes the server is behind a firewall that UDP transport is not
feasible. The problem is, when the server is not behind a firewall, we
want to use UDP transport, otherwise, we should use TCP transport, but
how could the client know whether the server is behind a firewall or not
before sending RTSP SETUP? Does RTSP provide a way to determine this?

Thanks

Chen

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Fan Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:41:25 +0800

Hi, Jae-Hwan,

I also tried to use Quicktime to connect to the Darwin server, it is able to
correctly determine whether to use UDP or TCP. However, the packets sent by
Quicktime are encrypted, so I cannot figure out Quicktime’s exact behavior
in this process. The response from Darwin to Quicktime is in plain text, so
I can see that RTP/AVP is used in RTSP SETUP when no firewall, otherwise
RTP/AVP/TCP is used.

Thanks

Chen

  _____  

发件人: Jae-Hwan Kim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2005年5月11日 10:27
收件人: Fan Chen; [email-masked]
抄送: [email-masked]
主题: RE: [MMUSIC] How to decide the transport header in RTSP SETUP?

Hi chen,

AFAIK, there is no way to signal it in the current RTSP specification. You
need to try and reconnect with different transport like TCP-interleaved.
Basically, the server can’t know where it is as well. Even though the
server locates on a public Internet, the client might be behind of firewall.
Therefore, IMHO, determining whether there is Firewall or not is out of
scope of the streaming server.

Cheers,

Jae-Hwan

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Fan Chen
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 11:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] How to decide the transport header in RTSP SETUP?

Hi,

Sometimes the server is behind a firewall that UDP transport is not
feasible. The problem is, when the server is not behind a firewall, we want
to use UDP transport, otherwise, we should use TCP transport, but how could
the client know whether the server is behind a firewall or not before
sending RTSP SETUP? Does RTSP provide a way to determine this?

Thanks

Chen