Subject: [MMUSIC] Error in RFC 3605

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:10:55 +0200

Hi,

Some of my colleagues has found an ABNF error in RFC 3605:
"Real Time Control Protocol (RTCP) attribute in Session Description 
Protocol (SDP)"

The ABNF in section 2.1 states:

    rtcp-attribute =  "a=rtcp:" port  [nettype space addrtype space
                          connection-address] CRLF

The example just below that ABNF says:

     m=audio 49170 RTP/AVP 0
     a=rtcp:53020 IN IP6 2001:2345:6789:ABCD:EF01:2345:6789:ABCD

There seem to be missing a space in between port and the option address 
specification. I think a correct ABNF would be:

rtcp-attribute =  "a=rtcp:" port  [space nettype space addrtype space
                                   connection-address] CRLF

Any comments on this before I log an errata on the RFC?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:28:40 +0200

Hi,

some further correction from my colleagues:

Actually the below sentence from section 2.1 contains two other errors:

    In this description, the "port", "nettype", "addrtype" and
    "connection-address" tokens are defined as specified in "Appendix A:
    SDP Grammar" of [RFC2327].

The first one is that "space" is not a defined character. I would 
propose that one changes the usage of "space" to SP which is RFC 2234 
defined.

The second is that the "connection-address" is in RFC 2327 only defined 
for IPv4 addresses and therefore should instead reference to an RFC 3266 
defined element. If the intention is to support both unicast, multicast 
and FQDN then then it is actually the combination of the 2327 connection 
type and the updated 3266 that are needed.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund