Subject: [MMUSIC] Requesting Comments: "A Congestion Status Precondition for SIP"

From: "Corey Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:23:13 -0500

Greetings.  We are looking for feedback on the following draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexander-congestion-status-pr
econditions-00.txt.  This draft has been submitted detailing a proposed
SIP precondition for admission control based on the measured level of
congestion along the network path to be taken by session media.

The general problem we intend to solve here is one of admission control
based on the measured level of congestion along the network path.  As
background, draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-babiarz-tsvwg-rtecn-04.txt
describes an ECN marking mechanism for real-time flows, while draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexander-rtp-payload-for-ecn-
probing-01.txt describes an RTP payload format for use while probing
during session establishment for the measured level of congestion via an
RTP flow.

The draft for which feedback is being requested describes a SIP
precondition that is used to delay session establishment until the
measured level of congestion along the network path is determined.  This
congestion level is determined via an RTP flow, prior to the flow of
media, that uses the payload format and ECN mechanism described in the
two drafts referenced above.  Draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexander-rtecn-use-cases-00.t
xt provides a general description of how this works, although it should
be noted that at this time it does not contain call flows depicting the
new SIP precondition.

We welcome and appreciate any comments/feedback.

Thank you,
Corey

Corey W. Alexander 
Nortel

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic