Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] updated RTSP version number

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:14:05 +0200

Hi,

I and Sean are working on updating the specification to using version 
number 1.1. In this work I think it is time to ask a general question.

Should we strip out backwards compatible functionality in the 
specification? As a good example:

The transport parameters client_port and server_port have an generic 
alternative that will work with future transport protocols using 
addresses and ports. The protocol will be simpler to implement etc if 
only the src_addr and dest_addr parameters are specified.

Cheers

Magnus

Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> When we had the offline RTSP discussion in Minneapolis we shortly 
> discussed the version number for the updated specification. Of the 
> present it was agreed that giving it version number 1.1 is the simplest 
> and best way of indicating that this a entity is supporting the updated 
> specification.
> 
> Reviewing last years discussion on this topic, it seems that most people 
> supports this. So this email is to confirm that there exist rough 
> consensus on this topic, before we authors will implement it.
> 
> Cheers
> 
> Magnus Westerlund
> 
> Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
> Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
> S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> mmusic mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Sean Sheedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:27:57 -0700

I'd like to remove the functions that are there purely for backwards
compatibility; it will result in a cleaner and more manageable
specification.

Another example:

The current revision prohibits a PLAY request on a playing presentation
without issuing a PAUSE first.  This restriction exists for backwards
compatibility with queued play.  Since PLAY to PLAY transitions are very
common (into and out of fast forward and rewind), removing this
restriction would be a good thing.

Sean

-- 
Sean Sheedy                                         [email-masked]
(503) 531-6427

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:45:22 +0200

Hi,

A few things that we can fix now that we have a new version number. If 
you have opinions fore or against please send them.

- Fix RTP-Info header to include SSRC of the synchronized source.
- Use onlye src_addr / dest_addr structure to allways provide explict 
addressing information.
- Clearly defined media handling removing recommendations on tolerans 
for erronous data for backwards compatiblity.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund