Subject: [MMUSIC] Re: Updated version of RTSP draft

From: Joe Pallas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:44:41 -0700

In RTSP 1.0, the description for GET_PARAMETER/SET_PARAMETER said, 
"This method is intentionally loosely defined with the intention that 
the reply content and response content will be defined after further 
experimentation. "

Now it's seven years later, the same language is still present, and 
pretty much the only thing that's been defined is that SET_PARAMETER 
with no body is legal (to replace PING) and using the entity body for 
parameters is recommended.

In other words, seven years of experimentation have not yielded any 
recommended way to actually get or set a parameter, let alone any 
standard parameters.  Is it time to reconsider whether this should be 
part of the standard?  As it stands now, you can't use these without 
already knowing specifically the implementation you're talking to.  One 
could argue that having a loose standard creates more confusion than an 
optional method would, because the method names are defined, but the 
syntax to use them is not.

joe

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:06:29 +0200

Hi Joe,

There are usage out there of SET_PARAMETER. Both standardized and 
propritary solutions. If you look in 3GPP TS 26.234 you will find that 
SET_PARAMETER is used to transport Quality of Experience measurements to 
the server.

I can agree that the experimentation text should be changed. I will do 
that immediately.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]