Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] updated RTSP version number

From: "Anders Klemets" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:04:01 -0700

Keep in mind that there will be RTSP 1.1 clients and servers that still
have to support RTSP 1.0 for backwards compatibility.  Each proposed
change to the RTSP 1.1 should be evaluated from that perspective.

For example, removing the RTSP 1.0-style way to specify the addressing
information on the Transport header is OK because it does not add any
new complexity.  Clients and servers that want to be compatible with
RTSP 1.0 have to support the 1.0-style anyway, even if it no longer
explicitly mentioned in the RTSP 1.1 spec.

Removing the requirement to send PAUSE before PLAY is another change
that seems OK, because it doesn't add extra complexity, at least at the
protocol level.  (Possibly, it could introduce additional internal
complexity in some servers.)

However, introducing a new PING command is probably not OK, because it
adds more complexity.  There would then be a 1.0-way to ping the server
and a different 1.1-way.  Many implementations would need to support
both.

Anders

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Magnus Westerlund
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:45 AM
To: Magnus Westerlund
Cc: mmusic (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] updated RTSP version number

Hi,

A few things that we can fix now that we have a new version number. If 
you have opinions fore or against please send them.

- Fix RTP-Info header to include SSRC of the synchronized source.
- Use onlye src_addr / dest_addr structure to allways provide explict 
addressing information.
- Clearly defined media handling removing recommendations on tolerans 
for erronous data for backwards compatiblity.

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:15:53 +0200

> and a different 1.1-way.  Many implementations would need to support

Okay, I can live with the San Diego conclusions to use SET_PARAMETER as 
the recommneded method of keep-alive. I will now implement that conclusion.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]