Subject: [MMUSIC] suggested ICE terminology change

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:46:51 -0500

I'm working on ICE-13 today (finally - my apologies for the extreme 
lateness on this...). As I incorporate changes, I think we need to make 
another tweak to terminology.

In a previous note, ekr had pointed out that there were really two types 
of endpoints (full-mode and passive-only), and three modes of operation 
(controlling, controlled, and passive). I'd like to abandon the term 
'passive' in favor of 'reactive'. The main reason is that passive has 
defined meaning for things like tcp, and ice-tcp will be very ugly when 
it talks about how a passive ICE agent is active or passive in the TCP 
sense. Yuck.

So, the two types of endpoints would be full-mode and reactive-only, and 
the three modes would be controlling, controlled, and reactive.

I'll go ahead and make this change unless the group feels strongly 
otherwise.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:32:20 -0800

Excellent!

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:47 AM
To: IETF MMUSIC WG
Subject: [MMUSIC] suggested ICE terminology change

Thanks,
Jonathan R.