Subject: [MMUSIC] Cisco IPR claims on ICE, ICE-tcp

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:25:44 -0500

I wanted to let the working group know about two IPR claims that Cisco 
just made on ICE and ICE-tcp:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?ipr_id=799
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?ipr_id=798

These are actually just an update of a claim that was made on the very 
first version of ICE:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?ipr_id=112

which was submitted back in March of 2003.

These claims are based on patent work done by other folks within Cisco, 
not myself. Indeed, the claims predate my employment there, and I only 
recently became aware of the claim made against the original ICE draft.

The good news in all of this is that the original claim was RAND, but 
the newly updated one is of the "free-if-you-don't-sue-us" variety. 
Consequently, this is a huge improvement from what we had before.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:06:47 +0000

On 23 Jan 2007, at 22:25, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
> I wanted to let the working group know about two IPR claims that  
> Cisco just made on ICE and ICE-tcp:
>
> These are actually just an update of a claim that was made on the  
> very first version of ICE:
>

I also note that Tandberg has previously notified the IETF of IPR on  
ICE:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?ipr_id=727

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/