Subject: [MMUSIC] Re: Passive and passive-only terminology in ICE

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:06:18 -0500

We had a separate thread on this. We agreed to change the terminology to 
the following.

There are two different types of implementations: passive-only and full. 
A full implementation can operate in one of two modes - controlling or 
controlled. A passive-only operates in only one mode - passive. In 
passive mode, no triggered or periodic checks are sent. However, both 
are sent in controlled mode.

One wrinkle I ran into is that there is also a minor variation in the 
controlling mode. If an agent is controlling, and its peer is in passive 
mode, its behavior is slightly different than when its controlling and 
its peer is controlled. Namely, it cannot use the done flag in a stun 
transaction on a pair which hasn't completed succesfully yet. It will 
also see incoming stun requests. I debated whether to describe this as a 
different mode, but I think its close enough that it doesn't warrant it. 
Rather I'll describe this exception as part of the desription of the 
controlling mode operation.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> a passive agent (as opposed to a controlling agent) generates periodic 
> connectivity checks. However, a passive-only agent does not (need to) 
> generate them.
> 
> Using the same terminology for both (i.e., passive) may be confusing. It 
> may lead some readers to think that passive agents do not perform 
> periodic checks, for instance.
> 
> This is no big deal, but if somebody else agrees that this may be 
> confusing, we could think of using a different term for one of those 
> concepts.
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Gonzalo
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:45:54 +0200

Hi,

yes, a clarification along these lines will be great.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
>> Using the same terminology for both (i.e., passive) may be confusing. 
>> It may lead some readers to think that passive agents do not perform