Subject: [MMUSIC] Question on draft-ietf-mmusic-decoding-dependency-00

From: Mark Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:30:24 -0800

All,

Within the fecframe working group we are considering the possible use of
this draft, or an extension of this syntax, to specify the various
relationships which can exist between FEC flows and the source flows they
protect.

The following question came up in the discussion. The draft states at the
end of section 1:

³The mechanisms defined herein are media transport protocol independent,
i.e. applicable beyond the use of RTP [RFC3550]²

However, the mechanisms then defined appear to rely on Payload Types, which
are specific to RTP, to specify the relationships between flows. That is,
the syntax specifies relationships between RTP flows defined by ( UDP Port,
Payload Type ) pairs.

Either the draft should be generalised to also allow specification of
relationships between UDP flows (defined just by the UDP port) or the above
sentence should be removed.

Should there be an IANA registry for dependency-types ?

...Mark Watson
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Thomas Schierl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:30:48 +0100

Hi Mark,

Our original intent was to keep the draft transport independent.  However,
that has turned out to be difficult.  The PT dependency has been put in
after long discussions based on a proposal by Magnus, and is now a necessary
and integral part of the draft.

The sentence cited is a leftover from the earlier days, and should have been
removed.  We will update the draft accordingly.

Attempting to re-generalize the draft would not only lead to delay, but
would most likely also run us into the same problems that have forced us to
put this transport protocol dependency into the draft in the first place.
Therefore, we do not favor such an approach.

Best regards,

Stephan and Thomas

From: Mark Watson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:30 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Fecframe] Question on draft-ietf-mmusic-decoding-dependency-00

All,

"The mechanisms defined herein are media transport protocol independent,
i.e. applicable beyond the use of RTP [RFC3550]"

...Mark Watson 

----
Visit us at

GSMA Mobile World Congress / Barcelona, Spain / 11 - 14 February 2008 / Broadcast Mobile Convergence Forum / Booth 2B82
http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/homepage.htm

OFC 2008 / San Diego, California, USA / 26 - 28 February 2008 / Booth 411/415
http://www.ofcnfoec.org
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic