Subject: [MMUSIC] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mmusic-media-path-middleboxes-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:40:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Analysis of Middlebox Interactions for Signaling Protocol Communication along the Media Path
	Author(s)       : B. Stucker, H. Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mmusic-media-path-middleboxes-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2008-01-17

Middleboxes are defined as any intermediary box performing functions
apart from normal, standard functions of an IP router on the data
path between a source host and destination host.  Two such functions
are network address translation and firewalling.

When Application Layer Gateways, such as SIP entities, interact with
NATs and firewalls, as described in the MIDCOM architecture, then
problems may occur in the transport of media traffic when signaling
protocol interaction takes place along the media path, as it is the
case for recent key exchange proposals (such as DTLS-SRTP).  This
document highlights problems that may arise.  Unfortunately, it is
difficult for the end points to detect or predict problematic
behavior and to determine whether the media path is reliably
available for packet exchange.

This document aims to summarize the various sources and effects of
NAT and firewall control, the reasons that they exist, and possible
means of improving their behavior to allow protocols that rely upon
signaling along the media path to operate effectively.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-path-middleboxes-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mmusic-media-path-middleboxes-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-path-middleboxes-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic