Subject: [MMUSIC] proposed update to mmusic charter for wg review

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 03:40:24 -0700

We intend to propose the following charter update for mmusic to the
ADs.

Let us know if we missed any documents or misrepresented any milestones.

Please provide comments to us by Friday January 18.

Thank you,

Joerg and Jean-Francois.

MMUSIC co-chairs.

Multiparty Multimedia Session Control (mmusic)

Additional information is available at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mmusic

Chair(s):

 - Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>

 - Jean-Francois Mule <[email-masked]> 

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):

# Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

# Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:

# Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]

To Subscribe: [email-masked]

In Body: subscribe your_email_address

Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mmusic/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Multiparty MUltimedia SessIon Control (MMUSIC) Working Group was

chartered to develop protocols to support Internet teleconferencing

and multimedia communications.  These protocols are now reasonably

mature, and many have received widespread deployments. The group has

revised some of these protocols in the light of implementation

experience and additional demands that have arisen from other WGs

(such as AVT, SIP, and SIPPING).  It is focused on mechanisms to

improve the discovery of Network Address Translators (NAT) in order to

enable media sessions to traverse NATs, and on new means to exchange

SDP capabilities.

Multimedia communications protocols use a common platform to express

media and session descriptions: the Session Description Protocol, SDP.

The many uses of SDP have led to (requests for) numerous extensions

and have led to recognition of several flaws in the protocol design,

some of which were addressed in the revision of SDP. In spite of

these, it is widely deployed.

The current aims of the working group include the following:

 - To support the establishment of multi-party multimedia sessions

across NATs, MMUSIC will define an Internet Connectivity

Establishment protocol (ICE) for publication as a Draft Standard

RFC. This will define several SDP extensions to worth with NATs for

media sessions carried over both UDP and TCP.

 - Various extensions to SDP will be pursued to remedy the most

urgent of SDP's shortcomings. These will be limited and include

adding support for limited but generic capability negotiations in SDP,

defining the means to select QoS mechanisms to use for a particular

media stream, enabling file transfer via the SDP Offer/Answer model,

support for media loopback, etc.

With the exception of these specific items, only extensions within

the existing SDP framework will be done (e.g. registering new codecs

and defining parameters for them extending SDP to include new address

families).

 - to maintain and revise the specification of the Real Time

Streaming Protocol (RTSP), including fixes and clarifications based

on implementation experience. The revised RTSP specification will be

re-issued as a Proposed Standard RFC. We will also document how RTSP

can be used in the presence of NAT boxes.

The MMUSIC work items will be pursued in close coordination with other

IETF WGs related to multimedia conferencing and IP telephony in the

RAI area (AVT, SIP, SIPPING, SIMPLE, XCON, and BEHAVE), and others

where appropriate (MIDCOM and NSIS).

Where appropriate, new separate working groups may be split off (as

has happened with the SIP WG).

The Working Group is also charged with addressing security issues

related to the protocols it develops.

Goals and Milestones:

Done        Submit SDP to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard.

Done        Submit RTSP to IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard.

Done        Submit SIP Internet-Draft to IESG for consideration as a
Proposed Standard.

Done        Submit SAP Internet-Draft to IESG for consideration as a
Proposed Standard.

Done        Submit SAP Security Internet-Draft to IESG for consideration
as a Proposed Standard.

Done        Submit IPv6 Extensions to SDP for Proposed Standard

Done        Submit SIP's offer/answer use of SDP for Proposed Standard

Done        Submit SDP source filter extensions for Proposed Standard

Done        Submit draft on SDPng motivations, comparisons with current
SDP capabilities. 

Done        Submit SDP security extension for Proposed Standard

Done        Submit IMG requirements and framework for Informational

Done        Submit revised SDP spec for Proposed (or Draft) Standard

Done        Submit SDP Offer/Answer examples for Informational

Done        Submit SDP connection-oriented media draft for Proposed
Standard

Done        Submit SDPng transition scenarios for Informational

Done        Submit updated SDP Offer/Answer examples draft for
Informational

Done        Submit Security preconditions for SDP for Proposed Standard

Done        Submit ICE draft as a Proposed Standard

January 2008    Submit SDP Capability Negotiations to Proposed Standard

January 2008    Submit QoS Mechanism Selection in SDP as a Proposed
Standard

February 2008   Submit SDP Offer/Answer exchange for enabling file
transfer as a Proposed Standard

February 2008   Submit SDP extensions for Media Loopback for Proposed
Standard

March 2008      Submit Source-Specific Media Attributes in SDP as
Proposed Standard

March 2008      Submit Considerations for using SDP offer/answer with
middleboxes for BCP

April 2008      Submit signaling media decoding dependency in SDP as
Proposed Standard

April 2008      Submit Connectivity Preconditions for SDP Media Streams
as Proposed Standard

June 2008       Submit SDP media capabilities Negotiation as Proposed
Standard

September 2008  Submit ICE-TCP draft as a Proposed Standard

November 2008   Submit SDP elements for FEC framework as Proposed
Standard

December 2008   Submit revised RTSP spec for Proposed or Draft Standard
(as appropriate)

December 2008   Submit RTSP NAT considerations draft

January 2010    Submit revised SDP specification to IETF for Proposed
Standard

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic