Subject: [MMUSIC] New rev of SDP Traffic Classes ID

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 06:53:47 -0500

MMUSIC

This note is to let everyone know that we have updated the traffic classes ID

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-mmusic-traffic-class-for-sdp-01.txt 

This draft's main purpose is to identify the type of traffic is in a 
session. In other words, more granular than 'video' or 'audio', but 
give meaningful application identification. The intent is to aid in 
the assignment of which DSCP a session (or flow) is to be assigned 
without binding the network to a fixed value. In the case of video 
traffic, some believe that they want to handle or treat telepresence 
handled or treated differently than desktop video or mobile/handheld 
video or webex session within certain environments. Video is the 
emphasis to this effort, but audio can be equally identified.

What's changed in this version is that instead of relying on RFC 
4594's (table 3) as the assignment template for labels, we're 
exploring a multilayered approach (that's in this version of the 
doc), including the ability to indicate proprietary strings and 
whether or not Call Admission Control is being or has been applied to 
a traffic type session or flow.

What we lack in this version is a clear set of definitions for each 
application label and sub-application label - i.e., being able to 
clearly identify a traffic type fits into a single traffic class 
(therefore app label and/or sub-app label).  If this approach is 
acceptable by the WG, we're going to actively reach out for input 
between now and Quebec City so that the next version will some or a 
lot of agreement within this WG (we hope). We know this isn't an easy 
topic (when do I ever choose an easy topic, right  ;-)

This is what I will focus on during my presentation time on Friday.

James