Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Open Research Position: Performance Prediction of Parallel/Distributed Applications

From: Thomas Fahringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:09:17 +0200

The Institute for Software Technology and Parallel Systems at the
University of Vienna is offering within a research project a

    ********************************************************
    ***  Research Position in Performance Prediction of  ***
    ***     Parallel and Distributed Applications        ***
    ********************************************************

Applicants should have knowledge in one or more of the
following areas:

        + parallel and distributed systems
        + programming skills
            + parallel programming (HPF, MPI, threads, ...)
            + distributed programming (Java)
        + performance modeling (analytical + simulation)
        + simulation tools (discrete event simulation)

Position: Research position for a doctoral student or a post-doc.

Starting Date: immediately

Duration: Until March 2000.

   We are currently in the process to apply for project extension
   until March 2003 which would also mean that this position is
   funded until that time.

Project Summary:

   The position is offered as part of a long-term research project
   about performance-oriented application development for parallel
   and distributed systems.

   The main task of this position requires to develop a performance
   prediction tool for object-oriented multi-threaded parallel and
   distributed applications exploiting both data and task parallelism.
   These applications are executed on clusters of SMPs or network of
   workstations. Analytical performance prediction will be used to
   determine parameterized cost functions for small components of a
   parallel/distributed application. Parameters in cost functions
   reflect the problem sizes of an application and the machine sizes
   of a target architecture. Simulation will be used to model
   highly dynamic behavior of applications and architectures, in
   particular, data exchange, synchronization, thread context-switches,
   etc. The performance prediction tool computes various performance
   parameters including estimated execution and communication times,
   synchronization overhead, memory locality, load balance, etc.

For more information, please contact

        Thomas Fahringer ([email-masked])

=======================================================================
Thomas Fahringer, Ph.D.             Tel: (office): +43 1 310 56 08 - 86
Associate Professor                 Tel: (sec):    +43 1 310 56 08 - 71
University of Vienna                Fax: +43 1 310 56 08 - 88
Institute for Software Technology   E-mail: [email-masked]
and Parallel Systems                WWW: http://www.par.univie.ac.at
Liechtensteinstr. 22
A-1090 Vienna, Austria