Subject: [MOBILE-IP] AAA Keys Draft

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:08:16 -0700

In the current proposed Mobile-IP architecture, a KDC is involved that
generates keying information for all three mobility nodes. The keys are
used for computation of the various authentication extensions.

Currently, the Home and Foreign agents get their keys via the AAA
protocol. However, the Mobile Node needs to also get the keys, and the
proposal was to have those keys sent back to the Mobile Node within the
Registration Reply.

The draft draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-00.txt defines the extensions
necessary to send such keys to the Mobile Node, but the draft was removed
as a WG work item. The KDC approach cannot be used without this draft.

I would like to get opinions from the list as to whether this draft should
become a WG work item. If so, I would like to have a quick review and
send it out for last call after the next IETF. Most of the MIP/AAA
architecture documents that I've seen (some of which are not yet available)
all call for this type of functionality.

Thanks,

PatC

---

From: Yoshiyuki Tsuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:41:37 +0900

Hello, Pat and MIP community,

 I'm sorry for my late reply:

>> all call for this type of functionality.

 From my understandings, an MN needs light key distribution mechanisms
 in case of using dynamic home address assignment.  And, I'm just about
 to implement the mechanisms written in the draft:
 draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-00.txt.

 Are there any technical problems in the above draft ?
 Or could nobody else find its importance ?

Thanks.

"Yoshi"yuki Tsuda( [email-masked] )
Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corporation