Subject: [MOBILE-IP] A new draft - Buffer Management for Mobile IP

From: Haseeb Akhtar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:23:20 -0500

Hello all,

The following draft has been sent to IETF secretariat for submission. While
it makes its way, here is a copy of it. Your comments are welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Title           : Buffer Management for Mobile IP
Author(s)    : M. Khalil, H. Akhtar, E. Qaddoura, C. E. Perkins, A. E. Cerpa

Filename    : draft-mkhalil-mobileip-buffer-00.txt
Pages        : 20
Date          : 21  Oct 99

          Security and Smooth handoff with minimal data loss and delay are
     desirable goals of any mobile network. To minimize data loss while
     changing FAs, a MN can request the previous FA to allocate buffers
     for storing its (MN's) data. This buffered data is then forwarded
     to the MN when it registers with the new FA. This approach may
     decrease the window of data loss and delay during handoff.

     Additionally, it may be necessary for the MN to authenticate the
     new FA before allowing it (the new FA) to receive data from the
     previous FA.

     This draft outlines a buffering protocol that minimizes the
     potential loss of data while the MN changes its subnetwork point of
     attachment. This draft also provides a way for the MN to verify the
     new FA during the handoff, if and when that is needed.

 <<draft-mkhalil-mobileip-buffer-00.txt>>

It's also available at URL:  ftp://137.118.21.16/mobile-ip/docs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Haseeb