Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] all IP on 3gpp: MIPv6

From: "Pietro Biasci (TEI)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 19:04:40 +0100

Hi all,

While 3GPP selected IPv6 as mandatory for IP Multimedia, it seems that 3GPP IMS architectures are neglecting for the moment
MIPv6 (see for example 3G TS 23.228), I think for some different reasons (such as SIP location and mobility management built-in features), but I cannot completely understand why.

In fact for the 3GPP Release 5, I was not able to find in 3GPP recent discussions about MIPv6 or TR/TS about that...MIPv6 seems out of scope, but I'm not sure it's a so good technical decision, if it is.

Are you (or anybody of the list) able to clearly explain 3GPP technical viewpoint about MIPv6 in a Multimedia environment ?

Interesting is also 3GPP2 point of view and timeframe.

BR, /Pietro

ERICSSON///
Pietro Biasci
UMTS IP Networking
E-mail *        [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Dolan, Michael F (Mike) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 6:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] all IP on 3gpp

Jaime,

Hi!  I am the vice-chair of the 3GPP2 All-IP Group.

Please be assured that 3GPP2 certainly intends to support IPv6. That
decision is already written into our adopted Requirements document.  Mobile
IP and specifically Mobile IPv6 have been at the core of many discussions
for the last year or more, and are a basic tenet in our ongoing work.

3GPP2 already has IPv4 (and Mobile IPv4) built into its standards.  Members
of 3GPP2 TSG-P (Tom Hiller, Pat Calhoun, Pete McCann, Mark Lipford, and
others) have been working closely with the Mobile IP WG for some time now to
add needed extensions to Mobile IPv4 to support wireless environments.
Since Mobile IPv4 is already a foundation block of 3GPP2 systems, 3GPP2
cannot abandon IPv4.  Instead, an evolutionary path that moves 3GPP2 systems
as quickly as possible to IPv6 is a hot work item.

Your list of issues is a good one.  It matches many similar lists held by
others.

I suggest that if you (or others) wish to continue this discussion, please
contact me directly.  That will help keep this email list for more technical
topics.

Thanks for your question.

Have a good day,
Mike Dolan
3GPP2 All-IP Vice-Chair
Lucent Technologies
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
PH  +1.630.979.1033
Mob +1.630.697.3549

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaime Dias [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 6:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MOBILE-IP] all IP on 3gpp

Hi!

I'm studying scenarios for the ALL IP in an UMTS environment.
I've already see some approach with Cellular IPv6 and/or MIPv6, but that's
where the confusion begin:
    Some approach byu 3G.IP refers about an MIP to the RNC.
    Until now the IP between the UE and the RNC are tunnelled, so, where the
Cellular IP take place?

In respect of the advantages of an IPv6 ALL IP, "I think" that it don't rest
many doubts:
    Mobility as an inherent feature
    Route optimisation
    MIPv6 includes features to minimize loss in-flight packets during
handover
        No foreign agents need to be deployed.
    Address space.
    QoS
    Security

So, can anybody tell me why the 3GPP2 are so reluctant about the IPv6?

I would be very thankful.

Jaime Dias
__________________________________________
Jaime Sousa Dias
INESC Porto
fone.: +351 22 2094258
fax:+351 22 2084172
Telecom & Multimedia Unit
Porto, Portugal
http://www.inescporto.pt/ <http://www.inescporto.pt/>
http://telecom.inescn.pt <http://telecom.inescn.pt>
__________________________________________

---

From: White Douglas-P28617 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:56:53 -0700

Pietro,

I'm not qualified to give you a "3GPP technical viewpoint", but here's my
observations in working with 3GPP, for what it's worth:

MIPv6 is on the radar screen for at least *some* companies participating in
3GPP.  A proposed work item was submitted to TSG SA2 from MWIF trying to get
MIPv6 enhancements in Release 5 (started off as S2-001814 and was revised to
S2-002061 --> ftp://ftp.3gpp.org/TSG_SA/WG2_Arch/TSGS2_15/tdocs/).  The last
I saw, it met some resitence, was slightly revised a couple of times
(S2-002061rev2), and ended up getting shot down for various reason.  The
main reason being the lack of analysis performed to specifically address the
impacts on the IMS.  Keep in mind that MIPv6 in UMTS would not take the
place of existing mobility management mechanisms, but would really just be
there to support inter-system mobility.

There was an brief email discussion on the SA2 email exploder discussing the
proposed work item.  If you (or anyone else) is interested, I have that
email chain that I could send you if you want to see the history and reasons
for not approving it.  I just don't want to post it here in the interest of
everyone else on this list :-)

But long story short, without an approved work item in 3GPP no work will get
(officially) done.  As it stands, IMHO, 3GPP doesn't have any resemblence of
an IPv6 inter-system mobility solution.  I'm not sure what the plans are to
reintroduce the proposal at a later date, but in order to have time to get
the work done in the Release 5 time frame (~Dec 2001), I would imagine the
work item would need to be approved rather soon.

BR,
Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Pietro Biasci (TEI) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 11:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] all IP on 3gpp: MIPv6
Importance: High

Hi all,

While 3GPP selected IPv6 as mandatory for IP Multimedia, it seems that 3GPP
IMS architectures are neglecting for the moment
MIPv6 (see for example 3G TS 23.228), I think for some different reasons
(such as SIP location and mobility management built-in features), but I
cannot completely understand why.

In fact for the 3GPP Release 5, I was not able to find in 3GPP recent
discussions about MIPv6 or TR/TS about that...MIPv6 seems out of scope, but
I'm not sure it's a so good technical decision, if it is.

Are you (or anybody of the list) able to clearly explain 3GPP technical
viewpoint about MIPv6 in a Multimedia environment ?

BR, /Pietro

ERICSSON///
Pietro Biasci
UMTS IP Networking

-----Original Message-----
From: Dolan, Michael F (Mike) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 6:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] all IP on 3gpp

Jaime,

Have a good day,
Mike Dolan
3GPP2 All-IP Vice-Chair
Lucent Technologies

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaime Dias [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 6:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MOBILE-IP] all IP on 3gpp

Hi!

Jaime Dias