Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Returning Home, unicast Neighbor Solicitation

From: Moter Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:12:41 +0800

In the MIPv6 specification, Chapter 10.20, it descibes a mobile node can use
a special Neighbor Solicitation to learn the link-layer address of home
agent.  The destination address of the Neighbor Solicitation is home agent's
unicast address, and the source address is unspecified.

The unicast Neighbor Solicitation is used for address resolution in this
case, and turns it to a chicken-egg problem.  The problem is, how could a
mobile node send the "unicast" Neighbor Solicitation if it didn't know
destination MAC address?  As far as I know currently all implementation
either does not do it, or uses solicited multicast Neighbor Solicitation
(the normal way) for this case.

        Sincerely
        Moter Du

        ============================================================
        Moter Du                                  D410, Siemens STSL
        phone   +886 2 25186011
        Fax     +886 2 25053866
        mailto:[email-masked]
        ============================================================

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:26:01 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> this is already known to be incorrect. I think the next version of
the draft will come back to the previous text without a MUST because
to perform a DAD for the home agent address is a "last chance" solution.

Regards

[email-masked]