Subject: question about agent advertisement in 2002.bis and rfc 2002

From: Alpesh Patel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:07:26 -0600

Folks,

The RFC and the .bis document states that the destination address in case
of agent advertisement should be set to 224.0.0.1 (all systems on this
link) or 255.255.255.255 (limited broadcast address). This is referred to
RFC1256. There is no mention to setting the destination address in relation
to an agent solicitation message.

RFC1256 says that in response to an agent solicitation, the router should
either unicast the response to the solicitating host's address or multicast
it. No mention about using the limited broadcast address. The exact wording
is attached:
*******
In addition to the periodic, unsolicited advertisements, a router
   sends advertisements in response to valid solicitations received on
   any of its advertising interfaces.  A router may choose to unicast

Router Discovery Working Group                                 [Page 10]
^L
RFC 1256             ICMP Router Discovery Messages       September 1991

   the response directly to the soliciting host's address (if it is not
   zero), or multicast it to the interface's configured
   AdvertisementAddress; in the latter case, the interface's interval
   timer is reset to a new random value, as with unsolicited
   advertisements.
******

I would suggest to remove this comment about setting the destination to
either the multicast or link specific broadcast to eliminate the confusion
it is causing. 

Thanks
-a