Subject: RE: Test

From: "Ron Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:31:07 -0600

Jiwoong,
 
I apologize for not letting everyone know what was happening.  I have no
excuse except for being an idiot.  Anyway, what is happening is that the
owner of the mail server no longer has the resources to handle everything so
the Mobile IP mailing list was moved to a different server and this server
is running majordomo instead of listserv.  From the end user perspective
this should not change too much because the mail aliases have stayed the
same.  However, the problem we are seeing is some people are not getting the
mail because their mail servers are returning the mail with "too many hops"
errors.  
 
The problem should be fixed today.  I will let everyone know when that
happens.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Young   [email-masked]   http://www.nortelnetworks.com/
<http://www.nortelnetworks.com/> 
                                                                    
  You can't spell Nortel without Ron; of course, you can't spell moron
                           without Ron either. 
-----Original Message-----
From: Jiwoong Lee [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 10:57 PM
To: Young, Ron [RICH1:IP21:EXCH]
Subject: Re: Test

Sir, 
 
Would you please explain what happend to this mobile IP ML if you are
somewhat connected to this administration ?

Thank you, 
(And posting to ML please.)

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Ron Young <mailto:[email-masked]>  
To: [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>  
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 7:32 AM
Subject: Test

Test 

I'm just testing the mail server because it appears alot of people are not
receiving mail.  

Test 2: from internal Nortel account 

------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Ron Young   [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
http://www.nortelnetworks.com/ <http://www.nortelnetworks.com/>  
                                                                     
  You can't spell Nortel without Ron; of course, you can't spell moron 
                           without Ron either.

---

From: "Joe Creel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:37:13 -0600

Ron;

Can I get one of the NDR related to this....I am the one to complain to
concerning e-mail routing and the majordomo server now....

thanks
Joe

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 2/9/01 at 9:31 AM Young, Ron [RICH1:IP21:EXCH] wrote:
Jiwoong,
 
I apologize for not letting everyone know what was happening.  I have no
excuse except for being an idiot.  Anyway, what is happening is that the
owner of the mail server no longer has the resources to handle everything
so the Mobile IP mailing list was moved to a different server and this
server is running majordomo instead of listserv.  From the end user
perspective this should not change too much because the mail aliases have
stayed the same.  However, the problem we are seeing is some people are not
getting the mail because their mail servers are returning the mail with
"too many hops" errors.  

                                                                    
-----Original Message-----
From: Jiwoong Lee [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 10:57 PM
To: Young, Ron [RICH1:IP21:EXCH]
Subject: Re: Test

Sir, 

Thank you, 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Ron Young 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 7:32 AM
Subject: Test

Test