Subject: WCMC Special Issue on Ad Hoc Networking

From: Stefano Basagni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:57:47 -0600 (CST)

***********************************************************************
We apologize if you received multiple copies of this Call for Papers.

Please, feel free to distribute it to those who might be interested.

Very truly yours,

The guest editors

  ************************** CALL FOR PAPERS **************************
 
                           WILEY INTERSCIENCE 
                 announces a Special Issue of the Journal
 
            WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS & MOBILE COMPUTING (WCMC)
          (http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1530-8669/)
 
                                    on
 
        MOBILE AD HOC NETWORKING: RESEARCH, TRENDS AND APPLICATIONS

                           With Guest Editors:

                         Prof. Stefano Basagni
  Center for Advanced Telecommunications Systems and Services (CATSS)
                     Department of Computer Science
                   The University of Texas at Dallas
                          [email-masked]

                            Dr. Sung-Ju Lee
                Internet and Mobile Systems Laboratories
                      Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
                            [email-masked]

 * OVERVIEW:
 
 Tertium millennium ineunte (at the dawn of the third millennium) it is
 more and more clear that wireless communications will be the natural
 form of communication among people, living beings and things. Virtually
 every appliance will be equipped with a small, cheap, lightweight
 wireless interface and the corresponding possibility of communicate
 anytime, from anywhere, to anybody/thing, in the world and beyond.
 
 At the focal point between wireless communications and mobile
 computing, mobile ad hoc networking is rising as the technology that
 better fit a scenario where fixed infrastructure, such as the one of
 cellular wireless networks, is neither available nor a viable choice.
 Among the major challenges imposed by the ad hoc architecture, are the
 mobility of possibly all network nodes and the corresponding
 unpredictable and continuous change in the network topology. In
 addition, because of the limited radio propagation range, routes are
 mostly multihop (each host also acts as a router) which imposes the
 need of multipoint communication algorithm designed "ad hoc" to take
 the complex dynamics of motions and radio propagation into account.
 These characteristics in combination with bandwidth, energy and memory
 constraints make ad hoc networking research at the same time
 interesting and challenging.

 * SCOPE:
 
 With this special issue we aim to bring together state-of-the-art
 contributions that range from papers that survey research in ad hoc
 networking over the past thirty years to papers that describe
 commercial and industrial experiences. Innovative and original research
 papers are also sought. Areas of interest include, but are not limited
 to, the following:

 - Industrial state of the art             - Bluetooth and home networking
 - Routing and multicasting                - Medium access control
 - TCP and reliable multicast              - Applications
 - Security and privacy                    - Quality of service
 - Energy-efficient protocols              - Sensor networks
 - Protocol analysis and evaluation        - Network architecture       
 - Implementation and testbed experiments  - Pervasive computing

 * PUBLICATION SCHEDULE:
 
      Manuscript Due: August 31, 2001
      Acceptance Notification: December 15, 2001
      Final Manuscript Due: January 15, 2001
      Date of Publication: Second quarter 2002

 * SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
 
 Authors should e-mail an electronic Postscript copy of their paper to
 Dr. Sung-Ju Lee, [email-masked], by August 31, 2001. Submissions
 should be limited to 20 double space pages excluding figures, graphs
 and illustrations. If e-mail submission is impossible then six (6)
 copies of the paper (double-sided if possible) should be sent by the
 due date to:

     Dr. Sung-Ju Lee
     Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
     1501 Page Mill Road, Mailstop 1U-17
     Palo Alto, CA 94304

 For more information visit:
              http://www.utdallas.edu/~basagni/wcmcsi.html

   ******************************************************************

--
Stefano Basagni, Ph.D.          Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Center for Advanced Telecommunications Systems and Services     (CATSS)
The University of Texas at Dallas MS EC31          Richardson, TX 75080
Tel. 972 883 2216 ~~~ Fax 972 883 6204 ~~~ E-mail: [email-masked]