Subject: [mobile-ip] New I-D, Reliable and Scalable Mobile IP Regional Registration

From: "Eunsoo Shim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:24:33 -0500

Hi,

We submitted a new I-D.

Title : Reliable and Scalable Mobile IP Regional Registration
Author(s) : Eunsoo Shim, Richard D. Gitlin
Filename : draft-shim-reliable-reg-reg-00.txt
Pages : 12
Date : 08-Mar-01

It is available also at the following URL:
http://www.comet.columbia.edu/~eunsoo/paper/draft-shim-reliable-reg-reg-00.t
xt
http://www.comet.columbia.edu/~eunsoo/paper/draft-shim-reliable-reg-reg-00.p
df

Fllowing is the abstract:

  We propose a mechanism that allows local registration of a mobile
   node for a handoff within the same visited domain in a reliable and
   scalable way. This mechanism is an extension of the base Mobile IP
   and the Mobile IP Regional Registration protocols. The key ideas
   include allowing registration via a group of care of addresses for a
   mobile node, where there is a primary care of address to which the
   home agent forwards the packets for the mobile node. Each care of
   address corresponds to a gateway foreign agent, which share a trust
   relationship. Peer gateway foreign agents and the foreign agents
   monitor failure of a gateway foreign agent. When the gateway foreign
   agent corresponding to the primary care of address fails, one of the
   peer gateway foreign agent corresponding to a secondary care of
   address takes over the role of the failed gateway foreign agent and
   initiates update of the registration status automatically. When all
   gateway foreign agents fail, the foreign agents disable regional
   registration automatically.

Thank you.

Eunsoo