Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Header Compression overhead in HMIPv6

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:17:04 +0100

Hello Rajeev, 

	IF context transfer is needed for HC, then it's a seamoby
	issue that I hope we don't get into here. 

> traffic, the flow may last as long as only 20 packets, 
> 
	=> You probably know HC more than me, but I checked
	with the HC experts and I was told that this is not 
	true. 3-4 packets in the worste case scenario is 
	what I've been told. 

	Regards,
	Hesham

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:32:59 -0800

Hello Hesham,

>         issue that I hope we don't get into here.

Yes. I agree that context transfer is a seamoby issue. I was just cross
posting the CT comments for FYI.

>         true. 3-4 packets in the worste case scenario is

Well, you need to set up context and in my analysis, I have shown that
it can take 12 packets before a compressor can transition to the
so-called SO state in which the header overhead is minimal. I would be
glad to know how this could be achieved with fewer packets.
My main point was that some flows are short-lived and thus there is a
trade-off between context establishment overhead and how long the flow
lasts.

Regards,

-Rajeev