Subject: [mobile-ip] [email-masked] -- OK to post!

From: Steven Glass - Solaris Software <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:33:37 -0500 (EST)

Fellow mobile-ip participants,

    OK - I think we're through the worst of the readjustment period.  It's
obvious the list I inherited would suffer the same casualties as it did at
Nortel, but I think I've worked out the [major, and now a lot more minor]
problems.  The major problem was a mail server in Korea looping mail, so
they're gone.  It's been nearly 50 minutes now since I sent out the test
message; no loops, and only 6 bounces, 4 for over-quota reasons.  I'm going to
declare the list officially open again.

    In case one of the many distribution lists that are subscribed to the main
mobile-ip distribution list contains a[n old] mail loop, I've asked the folks
at Nortel to bounce email to [email-masked] with a
message indicating posting should be to [email-masked].  I
don't know if they've done this, but if you get this bounce, check where you
sent your post!

    You MUST post from the email address that's subscribed in order to
actually have your email delivered to the list.  This is to combat the spam
that's given us a lot of angst.  I've got mungedomain enabled, so that helps,
but it's not completely forgiving.  If you're getting list mail, and you don't
see what you're posting on the list, you're probably subsribed using a
different email address.  Either email me (from the same account, please) and
I'll look into it, or resubscribe then repost (yes, you'll likely then get two
coppies of everything, but you'll be able to post while we talk about what
other address you may have subscribed).   For those that are curious:

        # mungedomain        [bool] (no) <majordomo>
        # If set to yes, a different method is used to determine a matching
        # address.  When set to yes, addresses of the form [email-masked]
        # are considered equivalent to addresses of the form [email-masked].
        # This allows a user to subscribe to a list using the domain address
        # rather than the address assigned to a particular machine in the
        # domain. This keyword affects the interpretation of addresses for
        # subscribe, unsubscribe, and all private options.
        mungedomain       =   yes

    The max message size you can post to the list is the 'default' of 40K. 
This is HUGE, so I'm thinking of decreasing it.  Still, people are trying to
post messages larger than this!  Don't.  Use pointers.  To me, 10K seems like
a far more reasonable max, but I'm willing to compromize.  I'll entertain
votes for to decrease this to specific values.

    Unsubscribe to [email-masked] is now working. 
Sunroof.eng.sun.com had a small conflict between Majordomo's passwd:uid and
nis:uid, but we're over it.  If you want to unsubscribe (here, I'll make it
easy for you):  

        <mailto:[email-masked]?body=unsubscribe>

    Email is being archived, so no worries, but it wont be accessible from
outside of Sun until later (which means the header List-Archive:
<http://playground.sun.com/mobile-ip/> is currently broken).  The archives
from when the list was at Nortel are still available at Nortel, Archive:
http://www.nortelnetworks.com/standards as it says on the mobile IP WG
webpage.  When the archives are reachable at Sun I'll send out another
announcement.

    As an advisary, I've been and will be fairly tolerant about full-queues,
especially if we have another looping issue.  However, if I keep seeing
bounces to your address because you've been over-quota for a while, you're
going to need to resubscribe when you catch up!

    FYI: [email-masked] : This is the old working group list from
many years ago.  Someone apparently posted their subscriber list, I don't know
why.  The mail headers from posts to that list seem to indicate it just points
to the list address at baynetworks.com (nortel).  I'd think that those who are
subscribed to it would have been around long enough to know the right way to
unsubscribe is NOT to post to the list.  If you wish to get off the smallworks
list, send email to smallworks, but NOT to the list!  If you send unsubscribe
email to (any of) the list(s), best case is it simply goes in my inbox, and
you *will* have to wait until I get to it.  I don't care how many emails you
send before I have time to grok the first one (well, OK, I do), but what
you'll experience is a queueing problem.  If you can't unsubscribe
automatically, then please be patient.  The good news is all [un]subscribe
email to [email-masked] seems to be getting caught, and
delivered to me.  The caveat is [un]subscribe to another alias, who knows.

    Any other issues, please let me know.

                              Cheers,
                                  Steve