Subject: [mobile-ip] Multiple tunnels over unoptimized route packets for Extended mode

From: Theo Pagtzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:27:42 -0800

Hesham,

   I have the impression that the Extended mode actually makes things a
little worse in terms of tunneling.

Consider:

Extended mode

CN send a packet to the Home Addr of the MN (no binding available at CN
yet). The MN's HA intercepts and encapsulates (1)
packet is sent to the LCoA of the MAP (registered as alternate-CoA of
the MN)
MAP is not there (aircraft took-off for Minneapolis)
MAP's HA intercepts packet and encapsulates (2)
packet goes to the RCoA of the MAP/Mobile AR.
packet intercepted by MAP's MAP (this is basic mode for MAP/Mobile AR)
and encapsulated to LCoA of MAP/Mobile AR   (3)

That implies that for every mobile AR you have you will need an extra 2
encapsulations per movement of MAP/Mobile AR

so for N mobile routers you will have 1+N*2 encapsulations......

this is excluding any realistic assumptions about the frequency of
handoffs of either MN or MAP/Mobile ARs
and as a result discpatch of multitunneled packets.

Couldn't that pose scalability problems???

Theo

UCL/ Mobile Systems

---

From: Theo Pagtzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:35:25 -0800

Claude/Hesham,

   why in Basic mode you want to keep the Home addr secret from the MAP.
What good would it do???

Theo

UCL/ Mobile Systems

---

From: Theo Pagtzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:47:29 -0800

Claude/Hesham,

Furthermore,

  It is my impression that by the moment you hide your home address from
the registering MAP, the latter has no means of finding your AAA-H entity
in the home domain (unless you could show us otherwise) and as such you run
the risk of _not_ being admitted in the domain under BASIC mode.....since
the AAA-L cannot contact your home AAA authority for credential
verification....

do you intend to bypass such functions?

If the above is not the case could you please show to the contrary...

Theo

UCL / Mobile Systems

---

From: Claude Castelluccia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:25:51 +0200

>    why in Basic mode you want to keep the Home addr secret from the MAP.

Hello Theo,

We actually don't intend to hide the Home Address from the MAP this is just

the way it is... The MAP is a HomeAgent that binds the RCoA to the LCoA...
From the MAP perspective the RCoA is the home address and the LCoA the
CoA...
The MAP is a HomeAgent..it does not even know that it is used by HMIPv6
....

regards,

Claude.

--

----------------------------------------
Claude CASTELLUCCIA, INRIA Rhone-Alpes
ph:  +33 4.76.61.52.15 (fax: 52.52)
http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/