Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Mobile Netwoks in MIPv6

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:23:06 -0800 (PST)

Hesham/All,

>So do you think the draft or at least the problem should 
>be considered as part of the charter ?
>If so, you might like to consider this draft as one proposal
>(a good one IMHO). 
>

I think MIPv6 and any hierarchical scheme needs to support mobile
networks. I also think there should be no qualifications on the
support provided, that is, it should be possible to compose an
arbitrary network behind a mobile router and have it work. I also
think this should be a working group item. If we transfer the
QoS item off the charter to the new NSIS group, then we would
have room for a new one supporting mobile networks without causing
the charter to increase in size. 

The other possibility would be to have Seamoby work on mobile networks,
but since it is an explictly mobile IP related item, it seems more
appropriate for the mobile IP group.

		jak

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:07:35 +0200

Hi all,

First, thanks to Hesham.

> the charter to increase in size.

Mobile IPv6 is meant to support mobile nodes, and a mobile node could be
a host or a router.  As long as you are dealing with mobile routers, you
also have to deal with the mobile network behind the mobile router, and
it is not limited to a sole subnet.   As a matter of fact, it is already
explicitly stated in the Mobile IP WG charter that the group should
address mobile host AND ROUTERS:   "The Mobile IP Working Group has
developed routing support to permit IP nodes (hosts and routers) using
either IPv4 or IPv6 (...)".   

> appropriate for the mobile IP group.

IMHO, It should definitely be discussed in the Mobile IP WG, and not
anywhere else.    At the present time, MIPv6 does only support the
moving node, not what is behind.     The reason is explained in the
draft.  If it is not sufficiently well explained, please speak up.

Thanks,
Thierry.

--
* mailto:[email-masked]  Tel +33 (0) 4 76 61 52 69 
* INRIA Rhone-Alpes Projet PLANETE       (fax 52 52) 
* and MOTOROLA Labs Paris
* http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete