Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] questions on fast handoffs for MIPv6

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:26:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Vijay,

>> JMC :
>> What happens if  ESP is used ? Alt-CoA will be encrypted and you couldn't do 
filtering ...
>
>what filtering? the source address of the F-BU is the oldCoA 
>and it is still attached to oldAR. so ingress filtering is fine.
>

This is only if everything goes as planned. It is also possible that
the F-BU could get sent after the L2 handover. And there are
lots of possibilities for things to go wrong.

		jak

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:10:29 -0700

> lots of possibilities for things to go wrong.

thats right. but we were talking about sending F-BU when still
attached to the oldAR.

at the newAR there is a problem. the MN still uses the oldCoA 
as the source address (because it cannot start using its 
newCoA), but the newAR knows about oldCoA (it came in the HI 
message from the oldAR). the newAR also has the link layer 
address of the MN (this also from the HI message). it can be 
made to work.

Vijay