Subject: [mobile-ip] Extension proposal for FMIPv6 draft

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:50:07 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,

A draft was just submitted to the IETF drafts editor with a proposal for
an extension to FMIPv6. The extension is designed for zero L3 latency,
to accommodate fast vehicular movement and to reduce the probability
of human perceptable artifacts in real time traffic. The proposal
is similar to the POST-REG technique for FMIPv4. An abstract is attached
below. 

There should be a copy of the draft at 
http://www.diameter.org/draft-kempf-beth-ipv6-00.txt shortly, if you
would like to get a jump on the drafts editor.

		jak
		
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Abstract 
    
   This document discusses an extension to the Fast Mobile IPv6 
   handover protocol described in draft-ietf-mobileip-fastmipv6-01.txt 
   that reduces the amount of L3 latency in Mobile IPv6 handover to 
   zero. The protocol uses bi-directional edge tunnels and deferred 
   Care of Address establishment to eliminate L3 radio traffic during 
   handover, allowing a Mobile Node to move rapidly across a series of 
   subnets without having to change its Care of Address while a real 
   time session is in progress. Later, when the real time session has 
   completed, the Mobile Node can use the Fast Mobile IPv6 handover 
   protocol or the original Mobile IPv6 handover protocol to establish 
   a Care of Address. An added benefit of the protocol is that header 
   compression context for real time traffic can be transferred from 
   the old Access Router to the new and reused unchanged, since the 
   headers associated with the traffic to and from the MN over the air 
   do not change. The design stems from a different series of tradeoffs 
   than those that motivated the Fast Mobile IPv6 protocol.

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:55:11 -0700

> would like to get a jump on the drafts editor.

The draft is now available on the web site for your perusal.

Thanks,

PatC