Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] I-D ACTION:draft-shahrier-mobileip-nat-00.txt

From: "Shahrier, Sharif M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:25:07 -0400

The binding is one global address to one private address for a given
session.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mingguey M. Yang [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 3:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] I-D ACTION:draft-shahrier-mobileip-nat-00.txt

Sharif,

In the "System Architecture" section:
   ...
   The NAT tables have to be set up, to reflect the correct binding
   between the global address of NAT-A and the local address of the
   sender in A...

Is the binding of one global address to one private address mapping? Or one
global
address to many private addresses mapping?

Mingguey

---

From: "Mingguey M. Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:38:06 -0500

Sharif,

In your proposed architecture, Basic Static NAT-routers are used. This means
that a set of globally unique IP addresses (i.e., a set of registered
addresses) is reserved by each NAT device (located in a NAT-enabled router)
just for the purpose of  for address translation, i.e., mapping the private
address of each local private node that wants to communicate with an external
node (i.e., CN) to one of the reserved global addresses. This is an one-to-one
mapping within not only the NAT table but also the entire private network.

Your proposal says that the format of a binding in the NAT is (Global IP
Address of NAT, Local IP Address). Is the "Global IP Address of NAT" the
registered IP address of the NAT-enabled router itself or one of the globally
unique IP addresses reserved by the NAT located in the router? If it is the
former, then NAPT is used (instead of basic static NAT), where port numbers are
involved in the address translation. If it is the later, then the format of a
binding in the NAT should be (A Global IP Address Reserved by NAT, Local IP
Address).

Mingguey