Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] questions on fast handoffs for MIPv6

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:33:33 +0200

Alper, 

> > 	Ping pong is not the only reason for using bicasting, 
> > 	once you anticipate movement, you're ever 100 % sure
> > 	about the exact time at which you will lose L2 connectivity, 
> > 	therefore packets will be lost in the mean time.
> > 
> 
> Basically, what I'm saying is, choice of smoothing technique is 
> implementation/system specific, and not a part of the "protocol". Implementors 
> can use FMIPv6 protocol with any of the available smoothing techniques, and be 
> able to interoperate with others' products.
> 
	=> Not quite, that maybe true in the network determined case where 
	the MN does not send a BU to the old AR. If the MN sends a BU
	then it MUST be able to request bicasting for a number of reasons:

	1. BU list management in terms of lifetimes
	2. In some cases (different access technologies) the MN doesn't 
	    need to request bicasting at all. The AR won't have that knowledge
	    and therefore the best place to have the request is the BU. 

	Hesham

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:28:32 -0700

Hello Hesham,

>             and therefore the best place to have the request is the BU.

I don't think that this behavior has been mandated -- certainly
not for Mobile IPv6!  Thus I would ask that you not capitalize such
"MUST"s merely for emphasizing your point.  A lot of people might
get the wrong impression.

Plus, how does (2) support your contention?!  Didn't you claim in
earlier messages that when bicasting has value, its value depends
on characteristics of the access medium?  Why doesn't the access
router have knowledge of those characteristics?

Regards,
Charlie P.