Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] draft on random interface identifiers available

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:31:51 +0100

=> Yes, it is, but that's only for the GSM family
of course (and WCDMA). Anyway, I think this 
will probably raise some privacy issues (tracking
devices ...etc)

Hesham

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 15:48:02 +0100

=> privacy issues are the same than for MAC based IIDs...
Both (MAC and IMEI based IIDs) are attached to the hardware and
are reasonnably guaranteed to be unique in the whole universe.

Regards

[email-masked] (through the 00:10:dc:a2:53:82 Ethernet)

---

From: Gerald Maguire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 19:53:29 +0100 (MET)

One should be aware that there is a public space of IEEE MAC
addresses. (See the list which IEEE maintains - http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt.)

The problem goes much deeper and one should look at the excellent
material which Alberto Escudero has pepared on this topic. He is
approaching the problem with a stronger requirement, that those who
desire privacy should be indistinguishable (statistically) from those
who do not.

Chip