Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Routing header Vs tunneling

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:24:44 +0200

Glenn,

> The namespace stuff intrigues me, but I suppose my present thinking is 
> that we don't need to send HI's in every packet.

Right, we don't need to send HI's on every packet, nor HIP does.
Actually, once you step on that road, you'll recognize that you won't
need the source address in most IP packets at all.  Instead, you
could well do with a "Reply-To-Address" DO, and you could use
the source address field for something more useful.

For some fun reading about that, see our half-jokingly paper at Nordsec,
http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/publications/nordsec2001.pdf

 > I.e. the same reasoning

> given by others on this issue is used in ZOD to not send the MIP home 
> address in every packet. So from a fear of hypocrisy point of view, ZOD 
> should make reasonable sense to those who do not think the HI should be 
> sent on every packet. If not, perhaps this ID may serve to change 
> peoples minds and expedite the resolution of the HI/Stack ID question.

I sincerely hope so.

--Pekka

---

From: "Glenn Morrow"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:54:24 -0600

> http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/publications/nordsec2001.pdf

Pekka,

So the paper is basically saying that the source address should be encrypted
for privacy reasons and the only way to do that is by making it something
that could be covered by ESP; namely, a DO.

ZOD is not trying to propose such radical things and it really shouldn't be
put into the same barrel as such concepts. I

If ZOD is applied to MIP, the same signaling and same data-structures used
in the existing implementations are re-used as is. The only change is you
don't include the DO, RH or tunneled address (take your pick) and you don't
have to worry about all of this MTU stuff. It actually simplifies the
implementation. Depending on the original implementation, developers might
find that they can actually remove some code. 

ZOD is simply using the end to end and fate-sharing principles to get rid of
the per-packet overhead and avoid all of this MTU unpleasantness.

Thanks again,

Glenn