Subject: [mobile-ip] MIPv6 Issues (Update on issues Closed and Open)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:39:30 -0600

Hello,

Just to provide an update on issues that are closed and the ones that
are open at this time w.r.t Mobile IPv6

Closed
======

1: New RH Type (2) or a new DO to carry the HoA towards 
   the mobile node

Consensus: New RH Type

2: Mechanism for securing BUs 

Consensus: Return Routability based test as the baseline mechanism in
the MIPv6 specification for verifying the home address ownership
claim. 

Caveat: However if there are mechanisms more secure than RR are
available (e.g. RR+CGA, AAA based, PKI etc.) they could be used to
secure the BUs. 
If mechanisms more secure than RR are available, there needs to be a
mechanism that indicates to a CN:
	  a. Do RR
	  b. Do NOT do RR 
The current proposal is to reserve a bit in the interface part of the
IPv6 address which would indicate this preference. However discussion
is still in progress and this item needs to be approved by the WG
soon. The DT will be sending an analysis of the bit approach shortly.

Open
====

1. Piggybacking

The DT will be sending an analysis of the IPsec interaction issues
w.r.t piggybacking (as a followup to the earlier note) in addition to
making a recommendation. WG consensus on the DT recommendation will be
sought in order to reach closure.

2. Home Address destination option processing

Discussion in progress. DT evaluating proposals that have come up on
the mailing list.

3. The bit mechanism to turn on/off RR

See above.

-Chairs