Subject: [mobile-ip] working group last call complete on NAT traversal

From: Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:27:50 -0400

The working group last call on NAT traversal has been closed.  We are
requesting
IETF last call on version -03 of the document.

The following changes were made as a result of WG last call:

    In section 3.1.2, a paragraph has been added pointing forward to
     a more thorough discussion of handling the case of registering through
    an FA with a co-locate care-of address.
 
 	    In section 3.2, the exact meaning of the 'F' flag has been
     clarified, and an 'E' flag has been added which enables a HA to require
     that the MN use icmp echo requests as keepalive messages, rather than
     registration requests.
 
 	    In section 3.4, some Agent Advertisement flags which are not
     covered by any RFC, but were proposed in other drafts have been
removed.
 
 	    In section 4.4, a section has been added which clarifies the
     actions of a mobile node when receiving a registration reply from a
home
     agent which does not understand the UDP Tunnelling Request Extension.
     In the same section, the use of the 'F' flag has been decoupled
     from the use of the 'R' flag when registering through an FA with a
     co-located CoA.
 
 	    In section 4.5 a paragraph has been added which points out that
     when an FA uses NAT traversal, it MUST send the RRQ with ip source
     address matching its CoA. Also, when discussing whether an FA should
require
     reverse tunnelling or not, a default case has been added for use when
     the exact capabilities of the NAT is unknown.
 
 	    In section 4.6, the text has been changed to match the
     de-coupling of 'R' flag and 'F' flag in the co-located CoA registered
     through FA case. A paragraph has also been added here to clarify which 
     address the HA should use as effective CoA when doing UDP tunnelling.
 
 	    In section 4.9, text has been added regarding the 'E' flag
     mentioned above, and the originator of keepalives has been changed to
be
     the requestor of the UDP tunnel, rather than always being the MN.
 
 	    In 4.10, again some changes to de-couple the use of the 'F' and
     'R' bit of UDP Tunnel Request Extensions.
 
 	    Section 6, Security condiderations, has been completely
     re-written, to more clearly discuss the different existing
     vulnerabilities.
 
 	    In section 7, IANA considerations, a paragraph has been added
     pointing to IANA's online database, and temporary values for use in
     interoperability testing has been suggested.
 
 	    The Acknowledgements has been updated, and the references has
     been split into Normative and Informative.
 
 	    Finally, in a number of places, the wording has been changed to
be
     clearer and more easy to read.

Henrik is submitting version -03 of the draft, until then it can be found
here:

     The -03 version of the draft can be found at
  http://www.levkowetz.com/pub/id/draft-ietf-mobileip-nat-traversal-03.txt,
 
 	and text with change bars marking the changes since -02 is here 
 
http://www.levkowetz.com/pub/id/changes-draft-ietf-mobileip-nat-traversal-02
..3.txt