Subject: [mobile-ip] Address to use in the SA between FA-HA

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:30:18 +0200

Hi,

RFC 3220 doesn't define which address to use when creating the SA between
the FA and HA. I have always assumed that it was the care-of-address in the
registration request header, but considering the case when a mobile
registers with an FA just because it has set the 'R'-bit in its
advertisement. The rfc doesn't say which Ip address to use in this case, the
CoA or the source address of the incoming reguest.

This will cause interoperability problems within mobile ip itself, and also
affects other protocols such as Diameter. The best would be to always use
the CoA since the incoming request may not always have a source address
(e.g. when coming via a Diameter Request).

/Fredrik

---

From: Tony Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:05:54 -0700

All,

I agree with Fredrik. Thus, always use the CoA.

I haven't seen any objection to this, so can I assume that this is the
consensus? If no objections / comments I will assume that this is the case and
don't make any changes regarding this to the Diameter MIPv4 application draft.

Regards,

/Tony