Subject: [mobile-ip] draft on Macrodiversity in IPCN

From: Joseph Soma Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:37:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
We have done some work on the topic of macrodiversity and
soft handoffs in IP cellular networks. Since the draft
has graphs and a few equations, I couldnt present it as
an Internet Draft. But you can download it(pdf and ps) from

http://cwc.ucsd.edu/~soma

Feedback and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph
-----------------
Title: Macrodiversity in IP Cellular Networks
Abstract: Several proposals have been made to handle fast handoffs
in an IP based cellular network. All these proposals focus on the
problem of routing packets in a fast and efficient manner. However,
handoffs can also be used to exploit macrodiversity and increase
coverage and capacity as is done in current cdma networks via soft
handoffs. We show that soft handoffs are not suitable for IP cellular
networks and propose a new method to exploit macrodiversity via fast
hard handoffs. Our method does not suffer the disadvantages of soft
handoffs in IP cellular networks. We show through simulations that our
scheme achieves coverage gains approaching those obtained by soft handoffs.
------------------------