Subject: [mobile-ip] RE: [Sipping] SIP-AAA Requirements (fwd)

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:39:04 -0500

As 3GPP, 3GPP2 and 802.11 wireless networks are poised to use both SIP
and Mobile IP, one cannot help notice there seems to be a lot
commonality between:

1-SIP AAA requirements
http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-loughney-sip-aaa-req-00.txt

2-3GPP Requirements on SIP
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-sipping-3gpp-reqs-03.txt

3-and most of all, Mobile IP AAA Requirements, RFC 2977
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2977.txt

The mobile IP WG http://ietf.org/html.charters/mobileip-charter.html has
actually covered a lot of groundwork, where it may make sense to avoid
duplication, such as for example for AAA Registration Keys
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-09.txt

Here are some striking analogies:

Mobile IP    SIP
================
MN-----------UA
FA-----------Visited SIP Registrar
AAAL/H-------SIP AAA
AAAB---------Clearinghouse
See the AAAarch web page
http://iridal.phys.uu.nl/~aaaarch/doc10/home.html and also
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-johnston-sip-osp-token-02.txt

One more item that the Mobile IP WG has successfully solved is the
separation of specific AAA solutions such as RADIUS, DIAMETER or XML web
services from the mobile IP protocol itself. It is not for the SIPPING
WG to pick winners and losers in AAA solutions and promote one or
another, as has been discussed.

We should try to avoid coming up with several different/incompatible
infrastructures, multiple logons and general annoyance from duplication
of work. Or have the IESG step in to make order.

I believe the SIPPING Mobile IP and AAAarch IP folks should talk to each
other during the WG discussions or maybe possibly at a Bar BOF. I have
taken therefore the liberty to copy the Mobile IP and AAAarch lists.

>John will also be leading discussion on this topic at the interim
meeting next week.
The interested Mobile IP and AAAarch people cannot attend at such short
notice.

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Rohan Mahy
> Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 1:13 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] SIP-AAA Requirements (fwd)
>
>
> Hi,
>
> John Loughney has just submitted a first draft rewrite of the
> SIP AAA requirements.  Until it appears in the archive, you
> can download it from:
>
http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-loughney-sip-aaa-req-00.txt

Comments are solicited on the SIPPING list only.

John will also be leading discussion on this topic at the interim
meeting next week.

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 07:17:16 +0300

Hi Henry,

> The mobile IP WG 
> http://ietf.org/html.charters/mobileip-charter.html has

My comment would be that perhaps there are not many ways to skin a cat.

> another, as has been discussed.

Yes, that is why I was asked to work on the requirements, coming from
the AAA WG.  What is needed from SIPPING is to see what needs
SIP has, and I would appreciate feedback related to this.  From the AAA
WG view point (& IESG viewpoint, I believe) is that RADIUS is not
sufficient and there are well know deficiencies with RADIUS that
make further deployment problematic.  The ongoing Diameter work is
attempting to make AAA work for the Internet, which SIP is part of.
 
> infrastructures, multiple logons and general annoyance from 
> duplication of work. Or have the IESG step in to make order.

This is very important.  This is part of the exersize with regards
to SIP - we need to make sure the real requirements of SIP are covered.

> taken therefore the liberty to copy the Mobile IP and AAAarch lists.

I think that solutions for SIP-AAA need not overlap, but be re-used.  If
one solution can fufill 2 requirements, that solution seems quite ideal,
IMO.  Anyhow, I think the more immediate need would be to generate some
discussion on the draft, and see what has been left out.

thanks,
John