Subject: [mobile-ip] Sending Binding Acknowledgement with routing header.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 20:29:41 +0530

Hi All
In "Mobile IP Draft-17", in section 6.1.8 Binding Acknowledgement (BA)
Message:  it is
mentioned that No routing header are added to the message, and in
section 9.4.4 Sending Binding Acknowledgements: it is mentioned that the
packet, in which the binding acknowledgement is returned, is to be sent to
the mobile node at any address other than the mobile nodes home address, it
must be sent using a routing header (even if the binding was rejected ).

this creates little confusion ........isn't it ?

regards
Arvind

---

From: Keiichi SHIMA / 島慶一 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:05:18 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

From: [email-masked]

> this creates little confusion ........isn't it ?

I don't understand the reason why the above change (not inserting a
routing header to a BA).  Could anybody explain it?

Since all the packet should be sent with a routing header if the
sending node has a valid bindinc cache, a binding ack should have a
routing header also.  The MN thinks that the sending node doesn't have
a binging cache when it receives a packet without a routing header.
As a result, the MN will send a binding update..  If the MN receives a
binding ack without routing header, it sends a bu again even if the
binding ack indicates that the binding update has succeeded.
Otherwise, we must write a special code to treat a binding ack when
checking the route optimization status when receiving packets.

Regards,

---
Keiichi SHIMA
IIJ Research Laboratory <[email-masked]>
KAME Project <[email-masked]>

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:33:39 +0200

=> confusion?

=> I agree, the only case where the routing header is not needed
is for binding deletion when the MN has returned at home. In all other
cases, including for errors, the RH is mandatory. 9.4.4 is right and
6.1.8 should only refer to it.

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: I know some implementations which explicitely check the presence of the RH.