Subject: [mobile-ip] Receiving Binding Refresh Request

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:42:20 +0530

Hi all,
I have an issue, regarding the processing of the Binding Refresh Request
message.

The draft says that "When a mobile node receives a Binding Refresh Request
message and there already exists a Binding Update List entry for the source
of the Binding Refresh Request, it MAY start a return routability
procedure."

It also mentions that "the state of the BUL, which has a valid binding
changes from "Bound" to "WaitHC" state after processing the BRR message".
( As per Appendix. A)

The necessity of the Binding Refresh Request message is to update the
Binding Cache of the CN, before the Lifetime expires. But as soon as the
mobile node get the BRR message, MN initiate the RR procedure and changes
the state to WaitHC. Thereafter the packet to that destination will be
reverse tunneled, till the BU procedure is complete. This is almost like
initiating RR procedure, after the lifetime expires.

Though, MN has a valid remaining time in its BUL, why for just refreshing
the Bcache, MN should loose the remaining time of the last Binding and
reverse tunnel the packet, till the binding update procedure is complete.

Regards,
Srinivasan

---

From: "Kalyan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:15:22 +0530

Hi,

    The reason is given below.

    Any node which is observing the traffic can pretend like a CN and it may
send a BRR with the CN's address.
As per the security is concerned,MN MUST communicate with those CNs only for
which it is having entry in the BUL.

Is this OK.

Regards,
Kalyan.