Subject: [mobile-ip] Rate limiting of Binding Error Message.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 09:40:24 +0530

Hi All
I have a problem.
In "mobile ip draft-17",  section 6.3 Home address destination option, it
is mentioned that Binding Error essage should be rate limited.
But How to do rate limiting of Binding Error Message??

If we put some constrain like CN will send binding error once in one
second, or once in five seconds. Then it may possible that CN can receive
some packet, which contains Home address option, but no Binding Cache entry
exists, but still CN can't send Binding Error Message.

or CN can keep the entry in the Binding Cache whith state as invalid so
that rate limiting should be done for that destination address. but this
may cause problem of insufficient resources,if some fake node keep sending
such packets with different source address, then CN will keep adding entry
in binding Cache.

Best Regards
Arvind

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:30:18 +0300

> such packets with different source address, then CN will keep adding entry

Good point.

I agree that keeping memory to rate limit BEs is contrary to the
whole idea of BE, as it may be caused by running out of memory or
having to do a reboot.

I'm not sure I agree that every packet with a HAO and no BCE should
be reported as an error. Assuming a stream of packets with a HAO hits
a recently rebooted CN, I would expect only one or two BEs to be sent
back.

The question is then, how do we achieve this? Note that the limits
for BEs would typically be higher (more BEs allowed / s) than for
more expensive messages such as Binding Updates. Is that enough?
Or should we define the maximum rate for BEs as a function of the
number of packets received with a HAO?

Jari