Subject: [NEXTEL-1] E911 Summit Seen Favorably By Wireless

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:21:31 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=108027&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search Wireless Week

Entire Site
Articles
Web-Exclusive
Archives
Companies
Products
Directories
Events

Archive Map

Tips

|  Archives  |  Events  |  Directories  |  Discussions  |  news@2direct®  |  Subscribe  |

You Are Here > Home
> Business and Finance >

Issues

Newsletter

news@2direct® Archive

Topics

Applications
Business and Finance
Global Regions
Industry Trends
Regulatory
Technology
Wireless Internet

Tools / Services

Archives

Capitol Hill Contacts

Directories

Events

Glossary

Industry Research

Industry Stocks

In-Stat Store

International Data

Product/Web Showcase

Show Dailies

Webcasts

Wireless 101

Web Directories

Associations
Carriers
Education
Government
Publishing
Research/Consultants
Vendors

Inside Wireless

Advertise - Web

Editorial Calendar

Print Subscription

Reprint Requests

Privacy Policy

Direct Marketing Lists

Business and Finance

Print

E-mail

Subscribe

E911 Summit Seen Favorably By Wireless

By Wireless Week Staff
November 20, 2002
news@2 direct

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- As the Department of Transportation
reviews the progress made in deploying wireless enhanced 911 services, the
wireless industry is full of good words for recommendations for fostering
deployment.

The DOT's Steering Council today hosted a meeting to review the progress of
E911, including the recommendations of the so-called Hatfield Report on the
issue.

The report, based on a review spearheaded by Dale Hatfield, former chief of
the FCC's office of Engineering and Technology, recommends among other things
the creation of a national wireless E911 clearinghouse and calls for greater FCC
oversight of wireless E911 implementation.

CTIA today said the public safety community and the private sector need to
work more closely to accomplish E911 goals. 'Part of the solution is creating a
voluntary information clearinghouse to facilitate the speedy exchange of
information among the participants,' stated Tom Wheeler, CTIA's president and
CEO. 'The key is realizing this is a team effort, and every player - from
wireless carriers, to wireline exchange providers, to public service answering
points - has to pull his weight for consumers to win the day.'

Wheeler says the wireless industry strongly supports many of Hatfield's
recommendations, including the idea that shifting regulatory demands have
hindered greater E911 deployment.

PCIA also has weighed in on the issue in support of a national clearinghouse.
The organization, which represents the wireless tower industry, also noted that
it was important to recognize that tower and antenna infrastructure were
critical elements to deployment of wireless E911.
Jay Kitchen, president and
CEO of PCIA, says the group is recommending that the FCC or another appropriate
federal entity look into whether there should be federally mandated expedited
zoning reviews or a zoning waiver process for installation of E911 antennas.
PCIA contends that slow siting approvals have hindered deployment.

PCIA in its official comments on the Hatfield Report also recommends FCC
implementation of a federal policy on collocation of public safety facilities.
The group contents there should be minimal or no local regulation of such
collocation permitted.

Print

E-mail

Subscribe

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=story;verid=34;sz=468x60;ord=37580441696037376?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=story;verid=34;sz=468x60;ord=37580441696037376?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=story;verid=34;sz=468x60;ord=37580441696037376?" border=0 width="468" height="60"></A></noscript>

Welcome

Register / Log in
here for e-letters and other features.

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbutton;pos=1;lay=story;verid=34;sz=125x125;ord=3758044214717696?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbutton;pos=1;lay=story;verid=34;sz=125x125;ord=3758044214717696?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbutton;pos=1;lay=story;verid=34;sz=125x125;ord=3758044214717696?" border=0 width="125" height="125"></A></noscript>

Related Articles

AirBand Thrives Where Others Faltered

U.S. Cellular Launches In Chicago

Briefs

Stock Watch

Edit

Ticker

Last

Change

QCOM

39.29

2.28

BLS

27.39

2.13

SBC

26.84

1.36

VZ

39.33

1.34

USM

27.80

1.28

NXTL

13.73

1.00

BTY

35.04

0.89

TDS

51.98

0.80

CELL

6.08

0.75

VOXX

8.68

0.73

NASDAQ

1,416.85

42.34

DJIA

8,635.42

160.64

S&P 500

913.30

16.56

Industry Stocks

Data delayed at least 20 min.

Get Quote/Company Info

Ticker    Find symbol

Related Events

ProMat 2003

More >>

Wireless Home

About Us

Advertise

FAQs

Contact Us

Register/Log In

© 2002 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this Web site is subject to its Terms and Conditions of Use
Privacy Policy