Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Introduces Virtual Private Networking for TETRA Systems

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:25:32 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-18-2002/0001842902&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Motorola Introduces Virtual Private Networking for TETRA Systems

MOTOROLA LOGO

Motorola logo. (PRNewsFoto)[TC]

SCHAUMBURG, IL USA 03/07/2002

MOTOROLA LOGO

Motorola logo. (PRNewsFoto)[JL]

SCHAUMBURG, IL USA 04/15/2002

Motorola Enables Multiple Organizations to Work on One, Secure TETRA System
With Confidence

NICE, France, Nov. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Motorola (NYSE: MOT) today
announced the availability of secure, wireless, Virtual Private Network (VPN)
functionality on its Dimetra IP TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) system.
This means that it is now possible to have more than one agency sharing the
same TETRA system without the risk of calls being accidentally intercepted by
the wrong agency.
VPN functionality allows multiple organizations to realize the benefits of
a shared system, however each organization will operate on its own closed
network, meaning it cannot "see" outside of its network and other users cannot
"see" in. Therefore the communications of the user groups remain completely
separate and secure.
The VPN functionality is available for both voice and data.

Voice:
Motorola's Dimetra TETRA VPN offering provides privacy and confidentiality
for both individual as well as talkgroup calls across the system allowing
multiple organizations to share the same network efficiently. The system
makes the usage transparent to other users, and users defined for one
talkgroup will not be able to listen in to other talkgroups' calls.
Additionally, for users with highly sensitive communications, talkgroups can
be cryptographically separated by having calls encrypted end-to-end on a per
user organization basis.

Data:
A data tunnel is created across Motorola's Dimetra IP public network,
creating a private and confidential link. Motorola is the first manufacturer
to implement a GPRS (General Packet Radio System) service node, enabling VPN
functionality to wirelessly connect with an organization's existing computers,
servers and network management tools. VPNs are therefore particularly useful
for employees that work away from the office, bringing critical information to
the point of decision in the field. For example, in the case of a police
officer, the control room will be able to send mug shots or fingerprints from
a database directly and securely to the police officer in the field, giving
him or her remote access to databases.
Because IP is a known standard, installation is similar to intranet
installation, using standard protocols and hardware, hence it should cause no
unusual implementation issues.
Security is a key issue when multiple organization are operating on a
single network, particularly when the organization involved are police, fire
or ambulance services. In mission-critical environments, it is important that
calls meant for the ambulance service, for example, do not get misplaced and
accidentally sent to the wrong service wasting valuable time. When voice or
data traffic travels on the VPN, IPSec (Internet Protocol Security) ensures
increased protection of encrypted data from the point it leaves databases to
the point it arrives on mobile data terminals.
For operators, Virtual Private Networks enable multiple customers to use
the same system -- for example, it has the ability to accommodate both public
safety and commercial users on the same network - which can boost operators'
business potential. The use of VPNs ensures there is no duplication of
wireless infrastructure and it gives operators access to economies of scale in
purchase, training and logistics.
Sys Hansen, Marketing Manager, Motorola Dimetra systems, commented: "There
is a trend in the market to outsource the operation of wireless networks.
Having different users sharing one common network enables economies of scale
for network operators, which can then be passed to users. With the new levels
of encryption and security, users can be confident that their private network
stays private from other organizations' users."
The Virtual Private Network facility is available on all Motorola Dimetra
IP systems.

About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in providing integrated
communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2001 were
$30 billion.

About TETRA
The Airwave service uses TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA), a new open
digital trunked radio standard which is defined by the European
Telecommunications Standardisation Institute (ETSI) to meet the needs of the
most demanding professional mobile radio users.

For more information visit:

Motorola TETRA: http://www.motorola.com/tetra
TETRA MoU: http://www.tetramou.com
Motorola Internet Media Centre: http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter

Photography is available at:
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/graphics/list/0,1099,2-1,00.html .

SOURCE Motorola, Inc.

Web Site: http://www.motorola.com

Photo Notes: NewsCom:
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020307/MOTLOGO
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020415/MOTNOTAGLOGO AP
Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org PRN Photo Desk,
+1-888-776-6555 or
+1-212-782-2840

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.