Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The E. F. Johnson Room

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:16:34 -0500

http://www.heartlandia.com/personal/ka0vsl/johnson.htm
--

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Welcome to the E. F. Johnson Room

of the Virtual Thermonic Emmitter Museum.

The E. F. Johnson Viking Ranger II Transmitter was a very nice
AM/CW transmitter. The VFO operated on the 160 through 6 Meter Bands. The Ranger II used a
pair of 6L6 tubes in the modulators driving a 6146 power tube to produce about 50 watts of
high level AM. The Ranger II ha very good audio qualities and was quite popular with CW
Operators. The Ranger II was manufactured in 1961 and sold for $360.00.

The E. F. Johnson Viking Invader 2000 Transmitter was the high
power version of the Invader 200. The exciter used a Crystal fitler for Single Side Band
generation and had a power output of 160 watts thru 2 6146 finals. The Amplifier RF deck
consisted of 2 4-400 Power Tubes running 2200 Volts on the plates. The Invader 2000
produced 2000 watts input power on SSB. Hence its name. The out board Power Supply the
same size as the radio in volume and weighs about 125 Lbs. The neated thing about the
Invader 2000 is the light orange glow of the 4-400s when they are working. The Invader
2000 was manufactured in 1961 and sold for $1229.00. The Invader 200 sold for $619.50.

The E.F. Johnson Kilowatt Match Box was THE heavy duty
antenna tuner used in the 50s and 60s. The parallel matching network would match both
balanced doublet antennas and random wires. The Match Box was manufactured in 1960 and
sold for $225.00.

Click to return to the Lobby of the Thermonic Emitter Museum.

Powered by