Subject: [NEXTEL-1] [Fwd: Global Wireless Weekly News 21.11.2002]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:51:47 -0500

-Advertisement-

               Thank you for choosing Global Wireless as your mobile
               industry news service. Global Wireless brings you original
               news, reported in-country and in-region, by a team of more
               than 30 journalists based around the world.

               THE FOURTH ANNUAL WORLDWIDE CARRIER CHART IS NOW AVAILABLE!
               For updates on every operator around the globe, with
               subscriber figures as of 30 June, 3G migration details, and
               technology and vendor details, access Databases on the site
               or click the banner ad above.

               For the latest features, including updates on 3G developments
               in China and buying wireless data at retail, access Features.

               -------------------------------------------------------------

               What's new in Global Wireless
               Week of November 18, 2002

               TOP STORIES
               • TDC's future under review as SBC plans discussed
               HELSINKI, Finland—SBC Communications (SBC) is holding
               extended talks with the Danish Department of Communications
               (DoC) centered on the U.S. telecom company's envisaged future
               ownership role in TDC, and specifically its long-term plans
               for its 42-percent equity holding in Copenhagen-based TDC.
               ...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3649

               • Auction results surprise Brazil’s Anatel
               SÃO PAULO, Brazil—Jarbas Valente, Anatel’s superintendent of
               private services, said he was surprised by the auction
               results for the surplus licenses in bands D and E for
               personal communications services (PCS). Anatel collected
               920,662 million reais (US$262.2 million) in the auction, or
               31.31...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3672

               • J-Phone raided by Japanese Fair Trade Commission
               TOKYO—Japanese operator J-Phone’s news that it has signed 1
               million picture service users was overshadowed by a raid on
               its headquarters by the country’s Fair Trade Commission. The
               raid was reported to be due to J-Phone’s alleged violation of
               anti-monopoly laws relating to the “Sha-mail” picture...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3642

               • Speculation mounts over MmO2 takeover
               OXFORD, United Kingdom—As calls grow for the large-scale
               consolidation of European-based cell-phone operators, at the
               top of many financial analysts’ list is U.K.-based MmO2.
               While the company recently announced better-than-expected
               first-half growth figures, the mobile operator is being...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3671

               • EU agrees to fund mobile payment standards
               OXFORD, United Kingdom—In an attempt to bring some order into
               the chaotic and extended fight over mobile payment standards,
               the European Union (EU) has stepped in and said it will fund
               a large-scale trial of a system with the backing of Vodafone
               and Orange. The trial, known as the Trusted...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3666

               • Canada to review foreign-ownership telecom law
               TORONTO—The federal government launched a review yesterday of
               the law restricting foreigners to minority stakes in domestic
               telephone companies. It is a process that could give Canadian
               firms greater room to raise capital. The long-proposed review
               of the ownership law, which restricts outsiders...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3646

               More TOP STORIES News

               INTERNATIONAL
               • Matsushita, Nokia agree on mobile-to-audio visual platform
               TOKYO—Matsushita Electric Industrial and Nokia announced they
               would jointly develop a platform for letting a mobile handset
               and an audio visual (AV) device communicate with each other.
               Following the agreement, both firms will develop handsets and
               audio visual devices, such as video players and...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3665

               • iTouch acquires U.K. service group M4
               DUBLIN, Ireland—Independent News and Media has strengthened
               its retail distribution presence through the acquisition of
               U.K. mobile services group M4. The deal was concluded through
               the company’s wireless application service provider arm
               iTouch. iTouch has moved on a number of other U.K. mobile...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3664

               More INTERNATIONAL News

               EUROPE
               • First Russian CDMA 450 MHz network to launch shortly
               ST. PETERSBURG, Russia—The first commercial CDMA 450 MHz
               network is to be launched soon in Russia by the St.
               Petersburg-based carrier Delta Telecom. City streets are
               already abounding in billboards advertising “Other
               communications. Not GSM.” Delta Telecom, an NMT 450 MHz
               carrier, has been...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3647

               • Orange says still committed to Swedish 3G
               OSLO, Norway—Despite growing speculation that owner France
               Télécom's debt will convince it to drop Orange Sweden's
               third-generation (3G) license, the company insisted it is
               committed. Orange Sweden press spokeswoman Annette Gregow has
               said Sweden is a priority, echoing owner Jerry Huxtable's...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3669

               More EUROPE News

               ASIA-PACIFIC
               • Indian panel gives cautious nod to ‘super regulator’
               NEW DELHI, India—The Indian government’s plan to set up a
               “super regulator” along the lines of the U.S. Federal
               Communications Commission (FCC) got a boost, with the
               Parliament’s Standing Committee on Information Technology
               giving its approval to the “Communications Convergence Bill,
               2001,” which...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3670

               More ASIA-PACIFIC News

               LATIN AMERICA/CARIBBEAN
               • Unifón, Personal make gains in Argentine market
               BUENOS AIRES, Argentina—The cell-phone market in Argentina
               returned to positive indices during the third quarter of the
               year, when the two major operators, Unifón, owned by
               Telefónica Móviles, and Personal, owned by Telecom Argentina,
               announced that during the period, they made gains of US$17...

               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3663

               More LATIN AMERICA/CARIBBEAN News

               NORTH AMERICA
               • Canadian public urges ban on handheld phones while driving
               TORONTO—A majority of Canadians now indicate they support a
               ban on the use of handheld phones while driving. The finding
               comes from the Road Safety Monitor, an annual public opinion
               survey done by the Traffic Injury Research Foundation (TIRF).
               About 64 percent of respondents said the use of cell...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3622

               More NORTH AMERICA News

               MIDDLE EAST/AFRICA
               • Namibia to get second mobile network within a year
               JOHANNESBURG, South Africa—The Namibian mobile telephony
               market is expected to witness the entrance of a second
               operator within 12 months. Gabes Shihepo, deputy information
               minister, said in a speech the process of issuing the second
               cellular license has been put into motion. The speech by...
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=3667

               More MIDDLE EAST/AFRICA News

               To see more Global Wireless coverage, go to
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/.

               * To edit your personal news profile, or to unsubscribe from
               the Global Wireless Email Alert, follow the link below:
               http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/profile.pl.

               -------------------------------------------------------------

               GLOBAL WIRELESS IS NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE!
               Just follow the link below and update your profile by
               checking the mobile alerts box and entering your mobile
               e-mail address. Global Wireless alerts will then be delivered
               to your Palm or Pocket-PC based device or any phone with text
               messaging capabilities.
               www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/profile.pl

               All content is copyrighted by Crain Communications Inc. 2002.
               Your comments are welcomed. E-mail Sandra Wendelken
               ([email-masked]), editor, with letters to the editor
               and feedback. Please forward this e-mail to other mobile
               industry professionals who might find this service helpful.

               If you would like to receive text versions of this alert,
               please reply to this e-mail with "Text" in the subject line.

               To get the latest news specific to the U.S. wireless
               industry, visit [Image].

               -------------------------------------------------------------

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/