Subject: [mobile-ip] Mipv6 issue #159: D-bit

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:26:58 +0200

Hi,

I'm working on text for resolving this issue. As you remember, we are
planning to remove the D bit and make the HA responsible for keeping
track of when it needs to DAD and when not.

Here are the text changes:

- Remove D-bit text from 6.1.7 (binding update)

- In 10.3.1 (registration), change the current D-bit text to the following:

        Unless this home agent already has a binding for the given and
        implied home addresses, the home agent MUST perform Duplicate Address
        Detection [13] on the mobile node's home link before returning
        the Binding Acknowledgement. This ensures that no other node on
        the home link was using the mobile node's home address when
        the Binding Update arrived.

- In 11.4.3 (prefix advertisements), delete the text about the D-bit.

- In 11.5.4 (returning home), delete the text "It SHOULD also perform
   DAD for addresses which may have been registered with 'D' and 'S' bits
   set to one.". This leaves only the recommendation that DAD SHOULD be
   run on bindings that have expired.

- In 11.7.1 (sending bus), delete the text about duplicate address
   detection.

- Delete the text about D-bit in 11.7.2 (correspondent binding
   procedure).

- Reformulate a number of instances of "when the (D) bit is set ..."
   to "when the home agent performs DAD ...".

Jari