Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FAA plan ready for takeoff

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:10:25 -0500

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/1104/web-nas-11-07-02.asp

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

SEARCH THE SITE

Advanced Search

ALSO ONLINE

Events Calendar

Letters Archive

Online Archive

Print Archive

Milt Zall Columns

Special Reports

NEWS BY TOPIC

Accessibility

CIOs

City

Columns

County

Defense

Democracy

E-Government

Funding

Homeland Security

Industry

Intergovernmental

International

Policy

Privacy

Procurement

Records Management

Schools

Seat Management

Security

State

Technology

Telecom

Training

Workforce

READER SERVICE

Advertise

Contact us

Editorial Calendars

E-mail Newsletters

Linking to us

Links Disclaimer

Online Permission

Privacy Policy

Site Map

Subscriptions

Site Problems?

VENDOR          SOLUTIONS

CITPAD

GSA FSS

ForeScout
White Paper

FAA plan ready for takeoff

BY Megan Lisagor

Nov. 7, 2002

Printing? Use this version.

Email this to a friend.

RELATED LINKS

Commission on the Future of the U.S. Aerospace Industry

"Security runs through DOT budget" [FCW.com, Feb. 5, 2002]

"10-year FAA effort takes off" [Federal Computer Week, June 11, 2001]

"FAA modernization plan ready" [FCW.com, June 5, 2001]

A presidential commission will recommend full funding for the Federal Aviation
Administration's 10-year modernization plan, officials said Nov. 5.

The Commission on the Future of the U.S. Aerospace Industry will unveil
its findings in a report Nov. 18, but insiders previewed some of its contents
at the Air Traffic Control Association Inc.'s annual convention in Washington,
D.C.

The FAA's Operational Evolution Plan (OEP), a mix of information technology
and other initiatives, will get the thumbs up, according to Bob Walker,
chairman of the commission.

"We see it as very important to fully fund and move ahead with the OEP,"
said Walker, president and chief executive officer of Wexler & Walker
Public Policy Associat

The OEP, released in June 2001, spells out a series
of steps that will expand the capacity of the airspace system to meet passenger
demand by 2010.

The Bush administration is asking Congress for $14 billion for the FAA
— a 1.6 percent decrease — for fiscal 2003. Of that amount, $30 million
— about a $2 million increase - is earmarked for the agency's Office of
Information Services, which oversees IT services.

The question remains, however, "What will happen beyond the OEP?" said
Jeffrey Shane, the Transportation Department's associate deputy secretary.

"We think that you have to have an extremely robust system for the future
so you have a lot of options," Walker said.

In its report, the commission also will underline the importance of
interagency cooperation, particularly among the Defense Department, NASA
and the FAA, he said.

"We have got to begin a process of horizontal decision-making to ensure
when we're making investments that they're broadly applied," he said.

Another important step is marrying the technology with policy, said
Charles Keegan, the FAA's associate administrator for research and acquisitions.
"I think it's an area that's relatively new for us," Keegan said.

The real challenge facing the FAA "is that we don't understand where
aviation fits into the national culture," he added. "An opportunity exists
today to redefine and re-establish [that]."

Advertisement