Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TelecomWeb

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:17:16 -0500

SENATE GETS AN EARFUL ON BROADBAND SUBSIDIES –
Most of the talk on Capitol Hill these days is not about 
telecommunications, but a few committees continue to hold 
hearings on the future of the industry, including the Senate 
Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. Now that the 
telecom industry is stressed almost to the breaking point, the 
government may be formulating a plan to step into the fray. 
http://www.telecomweb.com/broadband/feature.htm

FCC URGED TO REFORM, NOT RESUSCITATE, FAILING CARRIERS –
Following what it says was a failed en banc hearing at the FCC 
regarding ways to resuscitate the communications industry, a 
diverse group of telecom executives and Internet analysts has 
asked the commission to let flagging telcos fail and "fail 
fast," rather than allowing them to continue along the same 
path that has led to the current telecom depression. 
http://www.telecomweb.com/fiberoptics/feature.htm

BOLD VISION NEEDED TO REVITALIZE COMMERCIAL SPACE -
A bold, all-American vision for the future of space 
commercialization needs to be developed to catalyze U.S. 
leadership in the field, said Dr. Loren Thompson, chief 
operating officer of The Lexington Institute, at a meeting of 
the Washington Space Business Roundtable. The Lexington 
Institute, a non-profit public policy think tank located in 
Arlington, Virginia, traditionally has not been involved in 
space issues, but his remarks to the WSBR represented "an 
attempt to correct this," he said. 
http://www.telecomweb.com/satellite/feature.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT PBI MEDIA'S TELECOM GROUP
NEWSLETTERS? Visit TelecomWeb's catalog page 
http://www.telecomweb.com/catalog/ to read about all of our 
offerings! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ECONOMIC, POLITICAL FORCES POINT TO FCC RETURNING PAYMENTS –
The Federal Communications Commission probably won't learn until 
early next year whether it can cancel NextWave Telecom's 
spectrum licenses, but the dispute's impact on the U.S. wireless 
industry is already known. 
http://www.telecomweb.com/wirelessdata/feature.htm

FINANCIAL PROFESSIONALS INCREASINGLY TURN TO INTERNET, AFP 
SURVEY SAYS –
Less than a week after Rep. Mike Ferguson (R-N.J.) introduced 
"The Check Clearing for the 21st Century Act" in the House of 
Representatives, the House Financial Services Subcommittee on 
Financial Institutions held hearings on the measure. The bill, 
H.R. 5414, aims to facilitate check truncation by allowing banks 
more easily to exchange checks electronically by permitting the 
use of substitute checks. Current law requires banks to 
physically present and return original checks. Other objectives 
of the measure include fostering innovation in the check 
collection system without mandating receipt of checks in 
electronic form, and improving the overall efficiency of the 
nation's payments system.
http://www.telecomweb.com/ebusiness/feature.htm

PROTEK - THREE STEPS TO SUCCESS –
Paul Beaumont joined Protek as Chief Operating Officer in July 
2001and took over as CEO in February 2002. The appointment came 
soon after Dr John Greig joined the company as CTO (in January 
2002), and, while Beaumont doesn't admit to it, the signs are 
there that he clearly had his eye on the top job from the start. 
He shows a steely determination in his mission to bring the 
company from, in his words, "burning a horrendous amount of 
cash", back to generating cash and securing new revenues. 
http://www.telecomweb.com/billing/feature.htm

****************************************************************
* COMMUNICATIONS TODAY * COMMUNICATIONS TODAY * COMMUNICATIONS 
****************************************************************
Below are selected stories from our free daily eletter, 
Communications Today, which covers the day's news across the 
telecom spectrum, from satellite to broadband to wireless. To 
get CT delivered to your desktop, go to 
http://www.telecomweb.com/subscribe/ctsubscribe.htm

USTA ISSUES CALL FOR 2003 PAPERS -
In preparation for SuperComm 2003 next June in Atlanta, the 
U.S. Telecom Association has opened the window for proposals 
for white papers that will be presented at the gathering's 
concurrent engineering conference. Proposals will be accepted 
from any telecom or media service provider, technology 
supplier, government agency, government contractor, student or 
academic. Potential topics include but are not limited to: 
technology innovation & vision, risks & benefits of next 
generation network protocols & standards, VoIP & data network 
security, converged network operations & management, wireless 
broadband, telephony over cable & xDSL, fiber & Ethernet access 
technologies and telecom business. The deadline for abstracts 
is Dec. 20; more information is available at 
http://www.usta.org.

WI-FI ALLIANCE ANNOUNCES NEW WI-FI SECURITY STANDARD - 
In response to criticism that the Wi-Fi standard's original 
Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) specification offers 
insufficient security, the Wi-Fi Alliance has announced an 
improved specification, Wi-Fi Protected Access. The new 
standard will be compatible with existing hardware assuming 
software and firmware upgrades, and is expected to be available 
in new Wi-Fi equipment in the first quarter next year. Notably, 
Wi-FI Protected access is not a full-blown IEEE standard, but 
is instead "derived from" the forthcoming 802.11i standard. 

That standard isn't expected to be complete until the end of 
next year and is expected to require hardware changes, so 
members of the Alliance teamed up with IEEE's 802.11i task 
group to create Wi-Fi Protected Access as a "significant near-
term enhancement." In enterprise applications, the standard 
will use an authentication server, but there will also be a 
home/SOHO option in which users will manually enter 
passwords.For more information on this and other news in the 
broadband industry, read the latest edition of Communications 
Today's sister publication, Broadband Business Report. For 
subscription details, visit the "newsstand" at 
http://www.TelecomWeb.com.

ITU DEFINES COST-EFFECTIVE VIDEO, DATA AND VOICE - 
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has approved 
specifications that will allow traditional "copper wire" 
telecom operators to compete cost-effectively with cable and 
satellite operators in providing multimedia services. Those 
services are dubbed the "triple play" and offer multiple high-
quality digital video streams, high-speed Internet access and 
voice communications. Operators will be able to offer these new 
services at significantly reduced deployment costs, said Don 
Clarke, chairman of the ITU-T Focus group.

Consumers also will benefit with the availability of new 
multimedia services, Clarke said. "This means that while Mom is 
checking the TV weather forecast in one room, the kids are 
enjoying a movie in another, Dad can be reading his email," he 
said. Significant interest has been shown in Very High-Speed 
Digital Subscriber Line (VDSL) services, with operators 
including Bell Canada [BCICF], Qwest [Q], Telecom Italia [TI] 
and Telenor [TELN] conducting trials. Bell Canada already has a 
triple play service proposition and plans to extend this 
service to apartment buildings using VDSL. The service offering 
would provide new competitive opportunities to generate 
revenues via the enhanced interactivity that VDSL provides, 
Clarke added.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Remind top telecom officials and management every day about the 
EXCELLENCE OF YOUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES by advertising on the 
number one telecom Web site – TelecomWeb.com! Visit 
TelecomWeb's media kit for the subscriber profile, ad 
specifications, prices, and the advantages of advertising on 
TelecomWeb. 
http://www.telecomweb.com/advertise.htm  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***************************************************************
*NEW ON TELECOMWEB * NEW ON TELECOMWEB * NEW ON TELECOMWEB *  
*************************************************************** 
This portion of the eletter is dedicated to keeping you abreast 
of the new offerings on TelecomWeb www.telecomweb.com Visit the 
links below to preview our new offerings!

TELECOM MARKETING AWARDS WINNERS ANNOUNCED - 
PBI Media's Telecom Group has announced the winners of its 
Telecom Marketing Awards, honoring the best marketing campaigns 
and efforts in telecom during the 2001 calendar year. The 
winners are being profiled in Broadband Business Report, 
Wireless Data News, Satellite News and Fiber Optics News. 
Contact [email-masked] for more info. For more 
about the awards program, contact Amy Urban at 
[email-masked].

The winners are:

* Community Relations
Winner - Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson for "Ericsson Response"
Honorable Mentions: Weber Shandwick for Verizon's vIQ 
Educational Video; 
and AT&T for its "AT&T Broadband Freedom Flag" campaign

* Crisis Management 
Winner - Verizon for its Sept. 11 Crisis Communications efforts
Honorable Mention - Merit Group and Visual Networks for 
"Managing PR in a Turbulent Market"

* Marketing Communications 
Winner - PR21 and Bluetooth Special Interest Group for "The
Campaign for De-Positioning Bluetooth Wireless vs. Wi-Fi"
Honorable Mention - The Townsend Agency for the "San Diego 
Telecom Council and UCSD Connect" campaign

* New Product Roll-Out 
Winner- Hughes Network Systems for the "DIRECWAY Broadband-Via-
Satellite" campaign
Honorable Mention - PR @vantage for the Lumentis campaign

* New Service Roll-Out 
Winner – Morrow & Associates for the "Rolling Thunder" campaign 
on behalf of Masergy Communications Inc. 

* Public Affairs 
Winner - Richard French & Associates and the North Carolina 
Rural Internal Access Authority for the "Hey, Y'all, You've Got 
Mail" campaign

* Tradeshow Marketing 
Winner - Weber Shandwick's Supercomm representation for client 
Agilent Technologies

PERSONNEL MOVES ADDED TO SATELLITE TODAY – 
Who's been hired. Who's been promoted. Who's launching out. 
Visit this section of Satellite Today on a weekly basis, in 
order to stay informed of the moves taking place in the 
satellite industry.

Are you on the move? Email us [email-masked] so you can be 
included in the next edition of Personnel Moves.

http://www.telecomweb.com/satellite/personnel/index.html

DBS NORTH AMERICA DATABOOK NOW AVAILABLE -- 
The just-released 2002 DBS NORTH AMERICA DATABOOK by the Carmel 
Group provides in-depth profiles of the U.S. and Canadian DBS 
players, analyzes the key factors that have contributed to the 
success of DBS in North America, and evaluates the issues, 
trends and challenges that will mold the future of this nascent 
industry. Buy it today at 
http://www.telecomweb.com/satellite/studies/1028640137.htm

****************************************************************
RESEARCH * RESEARCH * RESEARCH * RESEARCH * RESEARCH * RESEARCH
****************************************************************
* Reports found on TelecomWeb are of the highest caliber, 
allowing you to get the latest news and research it all on one 
site. Visit our Reports & Studies store to see all of our 
offerings! http://www.telecomweb.com/studies/

SPECIAL OFFER FOR WIRELESS DATA NEWS -
TLFT readers automatically qualify for $100.00 off Wireless 
Data News, the engaging newsletter with the most reliable data 
on the state of wireless and the most proprietary analysis of 
international and domestic markets. Call 1-800-707-5808, 
mention code DM0306 and receive $100.00 off the subscription 
rate.

Below are some of our editors' report picks for the month:

MARGIN MANAGEMENT BRIEFINGS FOR SENIOR OPERATIONAL MANAGERS –
http://www.telecomweb.com/billing/studies/1031087777.htm

AMERICAS WIRELESS LANDSCAPE WALLCHART -
http://www.arcchart.com/wallcharts/americas_3gpromo.asp

MOBILIZING FIELD SERVICE -
http://www.telecomweb.com/wirelessdata/studies/1024433179.htm

P2P - EVOLUTION, REVOLUTION OR FLASH IN THE PAN -
http://www.telecomweb.com/wirelessdata/studies/1028920584.htm

***************************************************************
*INTERVIEW OF THE MONTH * INTERVIEW OF THE MONTH * INTERVIEW OF 
***************************************************************
* TelecomWeb subscribers have access to all of the interviews 
provided in our Executive Q&A section of our site. Visit this 
link to see all of the high-end interviews conducted by our 
award-winning editors. http://www.telecomweb.com/execqa-all.htm

KAMPER KEEPS COMPANY FOCUS UNDER ONE TENT -
Gregg Kamper says he's flexible, and it has nothing to do with 
yoga or Pilates. The senior vice president and general manager 
of Dominion Telecom, a wholly owned subsidiary of energy 
powerhouse Dominion Resources in Virginia, says flexibility is 
the key to his management style, a trait he learned from a 
colleague at a former employer, GTE.

Fiber Optics News recently spoke with Gregg Kamper, who 
detailed why his company has managed to remain strong and fully 
funded when many of its competitors have not, and why telecom 
companies need to keep their focus in times of economic 
lethargy.

To access this story, TelecomWeb subscribers should visit 
http://www.telecomweb.com/execqa-all.htm and click on the Fiber 
Optics heading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TelecomWeb's sister publications offer the most comprehensive 
and useful coverage of the telecom business. Instead of hiring 
a consultant or reading through reams of reports and studies, 
consider a subscription to one of our award-winning 
publications. Get free trial issues by visiting 
http://www.telecomweb.com/catalog/#newsletters
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

****************************************************************
* CALENDAR * CALENDAR * CALENDAR * CALENDAR * CALENDAR * 
****************************************************************
* TelecomWeb's calendar provides all the events that industry 
insiders will be attending. Have an event that's relevant? Post 
your event here! http://www.telecomweb.com/calendar/add.htm
 
Don't Miss Your Chance to attend the major satcom forum in Europe

SATELLITE 2002 Europe is proving to be a must attend European event.
Satellite professionals have registered from more than 26 countries
including Argentina, Canada, Finland, France, Isreal and Russia, to name
a few.  Representatives from companies such as: Siemens Austria, TV
Brussels, Zenith, Sun Microsystems, France Telecom, Arianespace,
Eutelsat, Spacecom Ltd., Telespazio, Europe On-Line Networks, Visiosat,
Pascall Electronics and Panamsat have already registered.  If you are
doing business in the international satellite marketplace, you need to
be at SATELLITE 2002 Europe December 10-12, 2002, Paris, France.
Register today at www.satellite2002-europe.com.

Other Events in Nov/Dec:
Nov. 11-12: Accelerating Wireless Technology
Nov. 20-21: The Wireless Enabled Enterprise Forum 2002
Nov. 25-26: Global MILSATCOM
Dec. 3-5: CWM Europe 2002
Dec. 4-6 : Fiberoptic Automation Expo
Dec. 10-12: Satellite 2002 Europe

For the complete Calendar of Events, visit 
http://www.telecomweb.com/calendar/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "arclight_arclight" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 04:20:15 -0000

--- In NEXTEL-1@y..., Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:

WARNING: The following contains a RANT.

(snip)
> satellite operators in providing multimedia services. 

(snip)

 Significant interest has been shown in Very High-Speed 
> Digital Subscriber Line (VDSL) services, 

(snip)

This stuff, by the way, is guaranteed death on HF radio.  Significant 
levels of broadband noise assuming the outside plant is perfect (and 
how many cross-boxes, peds, and other terminals have you seen hanging 
open, messy, or otherwise less than perfect?).  It won't be long 
before anyone who wants to listen to anything other than FM radio 
will have to move to the country, I guess.

I asked one of the folks working on the VDSL standards why they 
didn't move the operating frequency up to about 25-35 MHz (I'd GLADLY 
trade 10 meters for reduced noise below).  They won't get as much 
range with the current plant, the gentleman stated, so they plan to 
drop themselves in (from memory) the 10-21 MHz range.  Ain't this 
just grand???  

Maybe it's time to start running serious HF RTTY at 1 KW or so...if 
enough folks do that then the VDSL and Home Phoneline Networking 
folks might wise up.

Dave Maples

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 02:26:07 -0600

Dave,

What's the upper end of plain-DSL and to what extent does it already 
cause interference in the AM broadcast band?

(I'm guesstimating around 180kHz.for a 1.5 megabit signal using 256-QAM 
DSL-style modulation.)

-rick

---

From: "Steve S. Bosshard \(NU5D\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:48:49 -0600

Remember, if it leaks, it will also ingress.  Sunny Boy 1000 and TL922 (single and pair of
3-500Z's) ready for action, 160 - 10 Meters.

ssb

---

From: "Steve S. Bosshard \(NU5D\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:53:08 -0600

1 KW at 1990 kHz. lsb will stop one cold - even with substantial filtering and sheilding and grounding.  ssb