Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Smoking cellphone explodes in classroom

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:27:27 -0500

Smoking cellphone explodes in classroom

November 12 2002 at 02:17PM

Helsinki - Nokia, the world's largest maker of cellphones, warned on Tuesday about the
dangers of using pirated phone parts after a Nokia phone with a copycat battery exploded
in a Norwegian classroom.

Fifteen-year-old Niklas Eivik of Norway saw his cellphone, recently fitted with a pirated
battery, explode in a classroom filled with students last week. Nobody was hurt by the
blast.

Nokia said it was surprised to learn of the explosion.

"This is very rare, I have never heard about such incidents before, and we are obviously
glad that nobody was hurt," Kari Tuutti, spokesperson for Nokia Mobile Phones, said.

'Smoke started to come out of the phone'
"It was not an original Nokia battery, which we guarantee, but a pirated one, and we can
only hope that the retailers who sell those will manage their quality control properly,"
Tuutti stressed.

Eivik said that one of his classmates was holding the phone when the blast occurred.

"Smoke started to come out of the phone, and the girl who was holding it then dropped it,
but it exploded before it hit the ground," he said.

After the explosion the phone was unrecognisable, burnt and melted with pieces strewn all
over the floor, he said.

"The classroom was filling up with smoke, and it took some seconds before we understood
what had happened. But when we realised that the mobile phone had exploded, we ran out of
the class room right away," Eivik said.

Eivik, who lives outside the town of Harstad about 1 500km north of Oslo, had owned the
phone, a Nokia 3310, for two years, but had recently bought a new but pirated battery from
a Scandinavian mail order firm.

"They also sold original Nokia batteries, but they were almost twice as expensive, so I
bought a non-original one for 200 kroner (about R272) instead," he said.

The phone and battery that exploded are currently being examined by Norwegian authorities.
- Sapa-AFP

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw1037100781164B215

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Steve S. Bosshard \(NU5D\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:27:50 -0600

Similar incident with cell fone battery in Israel a year or so ago - reported in this reflector.  ssb