Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Nov. 1, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 05:16:44 -0500

911 tech company Intrado Inc. announced that it delivered "sweet quarterly performance" of
$27.4 million in revenue, and a profit of $3.9 million. Intrado president George Heinrichs
attributed the results to a "recurring revenue services approach," which allowed the
company to "compete favorably in these difficult economic times." It was Heinrichs who
used the term "sweet" to describe the results, noting that the word is "the current
parlance of youth." In the parlance of investors, Intrado stock has slid from its Oct.
2001 all-time high of $33.17 a share to a recent $11.62.

--------------------------
Time to kick butt!...in a short but sweet Public Notice on Thursday, the FCC said its
rules requiring wireless carriers to transmit 911 calls from uninitialized phones do <not>
preclude the carriers from blocking 911 calls, "pursuant to applicable state and local law
enforcement procedures." That is, if you've received 658 calls over 10 days (like
Minneapolis), and police are tracking down the culprit, the carrier has the authority to
turn off the phone. The purpose of the original rule, the FCC said, was to allow callers
with "authentic" emergencies to reach a PSAP, no matter what carrier they selected, and
which carriers were on-the-air when they made the 911 call.

"Where a PSAP has identified a handset that is transmitting fraudulent 911 calls and makes
a request to a wireless carrier to block 911 calls from that handset in accordance with
applicable state and local law enforcement procedures, the carrier’s compliance does not
constitute a violation of (FCC rules)."

--------------------------
Also on Friday, the FCC granted an April 2002 waiver request from Monroe County (NY) to
use 931.3125 MHz for paging, saying the county had met the five statutory requirements for
the waiver, including no other available frequencies, and a definite need: the county said
it needed to replace its 1974-vintage, 453.400 MHz paging channel that handles 4,000
pagers, used by every public safety agency in the county for routine dispatch, call-ups
and other notifications. The current system suffered from co-channel interference and
equipment problems. The FCC received no unfavorable comments on the proposal.

--------------------------
During a Wednesday speech at a University of Colorado telecom forum, FCC chair Michael
Powell said the spectrum policy reform is a crucial initiative, and admitted that, "We are
still living under a spectrum ìmanagementî regime that is 90 years old." He talked about
interference, spectrum scarcity, and government regulation, and delved into what he called
"key steps to reform." Check our homepage headlines for a link to a transcript of his
speech and analyze how his remarks might foretell the future.

--------------------------
No details, but Palo Alto (Calif.) police dispatcher Valerie Kerr and her husband were
arrested by PAPD and charged with misusing information she allegedly obtained from police
computer files, and for causing a false report of an emergency to be filed. Police would
only say she obtained information about a person related to her husband, and that the
false emergency was related to that same person. Kerr is on admin leave during an
investigation.

--------------------------
APCO counsel Robert Gurss has penned a letter to the FCC saying the Consensus Proposal
groups will shortly submit additional material on the issue of 800 MHz interference,
including "detailed funding arrangements." Gurss said they originally promised the
information by Oct. 23, but that "the breadth of the issues" has required more time. He
noted the groups will also include information on border regions, timing, logistics,
post-retuning rights and responsibilities.

--------------------------
It turns out there were two 911 callers who reported the sniper suspects' vehicle in a
Virginia highway rest stop... one of them tried twice to use a cellular phone, but
couldn't get a signal. He dialed back about after he moved his van, and then says he
stayed on the line with a dispatcher for 3 hours until the SWAT team arrested the
suspects.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 07:41:56 -0500

Uhhh...  Last time I checked, that Frederick County, Maryland highway
rest stop is still in fact, in Maryland.
Cheers, Alan Dixon - Pop'Comm

--------- Original Message ----------
From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>,
         WFHSG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 05:16:44 -0500
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Nov. 1, 2002

        <snip>
--------------------------
It turns out there were two 911 callers who reported the sniper suspects'
vehicle in a
Virginia highway rest stop... one of them tried twice to use a cellular
phone, but
couldn't get a signal. He dialed back about after he moved his van, and
then says he
stayed on the line with a dispatcher for 3 hours until the SWAT team
arrested the
suspects.

..