Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Timmy at UBS Warburg Conference-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:17:27 -0500

Highlights-

Timmy said:

* Public Safety is the fastest growing segment-

* There is really only one company that can provide interoperability ...and that ia "US"
(Nextel).

* 16,000 sites on the air (Hmm  he said 17,000 previously)

*  New Trashcoder (Vocoder) due for deployment Q3 2003
(delivery 1Q 2003)

* Nextel is going to wait to deploy 3G (what he failed to say is nextel can't afford to
deploy 3G).

* If Boost works we will grow it, if not we will CAN it.

Much of this was a repeat from Timmy's previous Conference.

Audio from UBS

http://event2.streamx.us/UBS20021111/SubCast.asp?SubCastID=1246&MediaType=wm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:46:12 -0500

UBS Warburg Conference-Additional Notes

A few months ago there was a discussion here regarding traffic management on Nextel's
system. Call blocking due to unavailable RF channels was a main concern.  Nextel announced
"Directed Retry" at the Warburg Conference. Directed Retry increases network efficiencies
through call management. In a mobile radiotelephone system, a base station (EBTS), upon
receiving a service request from a mobile station, ascertains whether the service request
can be accepted according to the availability of voice/data channels in the base station,
and, if the service request cannot be accepted, compares a measured signal strength (SQE) of
the service request with at least one threshold value.

If the signal strength exceeds the threshold, the mobile station is directed to retry the
service request on one or more of a first set of channels assigned to neighboring base
stations. It should be noted that the thresholds are variable. Otherwise, the mobile station
is directed to retry the service request on one or more of at least a second set of channels
assigned to neighboring base stations. Accordingly, directed retries nearer the interior of
a cell may be restricted or eliminated, whereas directed retries toward the periphery of the
cell may be freely allowed or less severely restricted. Since interference is greater from
mobile stations transmitting nearer the interior of a cell on the frequency of an adjacent
cell than from such
mobile stations transmitting from the periphery of the cell, interference is therefore
reduced.

Additional information can be found here.

http://www.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/people/peter/24.pdf

Nextel also upgrade the Nortel switch capacity from 120K to 200K subs.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG