Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Broadband - fiber optics

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:30:18 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: "Paul Christensen" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Broadband - fiber optics

Very nice article Jim...

One electrical utility company I'm working with is in the process of bringing fiber to
each home in a one million home-passing
population area.  Their intent is to create a fiber-delivered quasi "common carrier"
network and lease bandwidth on the fiber to
multiple service and content providers.  Aside from the obvious technical merits of such a
system, a 100% fiber-optic network
architecture may not be subject to Part 76 of the Commission's rules.  In effect, a
completely new distribution system is created
based on the transmission of on-demand, real-time data streams.  This technology exists
now between Internet-based content providers
and broadband Internet users, but alas, the final mile continues to be the limiting factor
in bringing high-quality streaming video
into the home.  If the connecting Internet backbone bandwidth is sufficiently large, this
would finally open up the Internet as the
inter-connecting medium to function as the traditional cable TV "headend."  Local content
servers placed in each market could be
used to distribute the bandwidth load off the Internet backbone.  Once a single,
single-mode fiber enters the home or business,
everything changes.  The bandwidth on one single-mode fiber is sufficiently large enough
to carry multiple OC-192 circuits through
the use of Dense-Wave-Division-Multiplexing (DWDM) techniques.  And, as interconnecting
fiber hardware continues to improve, I don't
believe we'll ever experience a last-mile bottleneck again.  With "fiber to the curb,"
it's going to be a very exciting future.

Paul Christensen, Esq.
Jacksonville, Florida

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "James H. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 4:38 PM
> Subject: Broadband - fiber optics
>
>
> >     I had an article on fiber optics and broadband in this week's Legal Times.  Since I wrote it, I naturally think it's worth
> > reading.  I would be interested in subscribers' reactions.
> > http://www.law.com/jsp/printerfriendly.jsp?c=PubArticle&t=PrinterFriendlyArticleState&&cid=1036630445634
> >
> > Jim Johnston
> >

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/