Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nhl Insider

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 18:15:38 -0500

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=34031883&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

News

IndustryWatch

Aerospace/Defense

Auto

Aviation

Banking

Business and Finance

- Bankruptcy

- Dividends/Earnings

- Executives

- Intellect. Prop.

- Investments

- Investors

- IPO's

- Joint Ventures

- Labor

- Mergers & Acq.

- Mortgages/Loans

- Products

- Reg. and Taxes

- Venture Capital

Chemicals

Computers

Economy/Markets

Energy

Entertainment

Environment

Food

Government

Healthcare

Insurance

Internet

Metals & Minerals

Real Estate

Retail

Small Business

Telecommunications

Transportation

Travel

Utilities

searchIndustryWatch

Markets &
Stocks

Commentary

Technology

Personal Finance

Retirement

Mutual Funds

Money 101

Money's Best

Track your
stocks

Calculators

CNNfn
on TV

Services

CNN.com

CNNSI.com

MONEY
Magazine
Customer
Service

E-MAIL
NEWSLETTERS
sign
up!

MOBILE NEWS
•AvantGo

sign
up!

Nhl Insider ; Your Weekly Bounce Off The Boards With The National Hockey League

Source: Palm Beach Post

Publication date: 2002-10-20

Arrival time: 2002-11-01

SLAP SHOTS

Rebounds and ricochets from the Eastern and Western conferences.

- What was first believed to be a minor laceration of his right
thumb turned serious for Toronto goaltender Ed Belfour, who is
thankful the Maple Leafs' training staff treated the injury with
antibiotics immediately after he cut the thumb while pulling off his
catching glove after an exhibition game on Oct. 5.

"I didn't think it was as bad as it was," Belfour said later. "It
didn't bother me all week, then after the game it started throbbing
and swelling up.

"If I hadn't gotten on antibiotics right away, there was a good
chance it would've infected my whole hand, or worse, have to cut off
a limb or a finger or a thumb or a hand. It's pretty scary when they
tell you that."

- The Tampa Bay Lightning paid a visit to nearby McDill Air Force
Base this week to thank some of the troops who have been involved in
recent U.S. military operations overseas.

The players distributed hats and T-shirts and spent about 90
minutes of the 2 1/2-hour visit signing autographs. As General
Manager Jay Feaster so aptly put it, "These people lay down their
lives so we can play games . . . and their attitude is that we are
the heroes. That is amazing."

- Think you could score on Tampa Bay goaltender Nikolai
Khabibulin? One fan will get that chance during next February's All-
Star Game at the Office Depot Center, though it's unlikely that fan
will hail from South Florida.

The promotion, which would be worth $250,000 if the lucky fan
actually gets one past Khabibulin, is being backed by Nextel, which
is holding Shoot-Out nights at 11 arenas around the NHL. The
Panthers have a partnership with another cell-phone company, so they
won't be included, though three additional winners will be selected
through a sweepstakes at Nextel retailers and on nhl.com.

BEHIND THE GLASS

Nowhere is the national anthem a bigger part of game night than
at Blackhawks games. We spoke with Patrick Blackwell of Chicago's
Lyric Opera.

BB: What was your first experience with the national anthem at a
Blackhawks game?

PB: One of my colleagues at Lyric Opera took me to a game in 1997
and, being the singer that I am, I noticed that from the moment the
organ began to play, everyone erupted and kept cheering through the
whole song. It took me by surprise at the onset.

BB: How about your first experience singing it?

PB: I was asked in the fall of 1999, and I've sung it about 8-9
times per year since. I find you fall into the rhythm with the crowd
and end up going with it. It enhances your singing.

BB: I'm sure everyone would like to hear about your first
experience after Sept. 11. Do you remember it?

PB: Very vividly. It was a pre-season game, and the tone and
atmosphere of the United Center was quite different than usual.
There was more of a somber flavor in the crowd; though they were
still enthusiastic, there was something more to focus on. If it ever
had meaning, it had more then. I felt that. There was sorrow, but
also there was one of the most proud feelings of patriotism.

BB: What's your most memorable experience with it?

PB: It was the season opener about two weeks later. The crowd is
always revved up anyway for season openers, but that night the
adrenaline was at an absolute all-time high.

BB: Have you talked to Blackhawks fans about this tradition?

PB: I have, and they all agree that they've always cherished this
tradition, and that it's truly the best prelude to a hockey game. I
understand there was a time when they didn't start cheering until
the line "O'er the land of the free . . . " Now they start at the
first note.

BB: What do you think is at the core of the experience?

PB: What I feel is, no matter what the rivalry between the two
teams playing in the game, we're all one under the American flag.

TELL THE TRUTH

Eric Lindros has already picked up a suspension and a game
misconduct. Is he a dirty player?

Roberto Luongo: "He scored three goals on me, that's dirty
enough."

Olli Jokinen: "No. He plays hard, but the boarding call he got
tossed out for, I saw it on TV and the guy was down already.
Sometimes everybody plays dirty. I don't think he's that dirty. And
we have to play against him four times."

Brad Ference: "He tries to overprotect himself a bit too much due
to the things that have happened to him in the past. That's OK, as
long as he expects it in return. If he's going to keep his stick
high, I'm going to keep mine equally as high."

TWO MINUTES

Your time in the box if you don't read this rant.

Mike Keenan and Rick Dudley did the right thing last week when
they reconsidered and - for now, at least - reversed their decision
to send Stephen Weiss back to junior.

Weiss has spent three full seasons in junior and is past the
point where playing there would do him any good. If he's on his way
to being a star, as the Panthers believe, his best training ground
is the NHL.

Publication date: 2002-10-20

© 2002, YellowBrix, Inc.

CNNmoney

contact us | magazine
customer service |
site
map | CNN/Money
glossary

OTHER NEWS: CNN | CNNSI | Fortune | Business 2.0 | Time | ON
Copyright © 2002 CNN America, Inc. An AOL Time
Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you. privacy policy