Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel/NHL All-Star Challenge Offers Fans a Chance to Win $250,000 in National Shootout Competition During Colorado Avalanche Games

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:56:13 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021125/252413_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search -

Finance Home -
Yahoo! -
Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.

Nextel/NHL All-Star Challenge Offers Fans a Chance to Win $250,000 in National Shootout Competition During Colorado Avalanche Games
Monday November 25, 1:50 pm ET

DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 25, 2002--Nextel (NASDAQ:NXTL - News)

-0-

Local Winners to Compete for Right to Face Tampa Bay Goalie Nikolai
Khabibulin at NHL All-Star Game in South Florida

Program to Benefit Hockey Fights Cancer through Nextel "Donate a Phone
Campaign"

Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) and the National Hockey
League (NHL) recently announced the launch of the Nextel/ NHL All-Star
Challenge, a national shootout competition to take place in 11 NHL
team markets, and through a national sweepstakes (U.S. residents only)
over a three-month period.

Locally, the competition kicks off during the Colorado Avalanche
game against the St. Louis Blues at Pepsi Center this Wednesday,
November 27 at 7:00 P.M.

The competition will culminate at the 2003 NHL All-Star Weekend
presented by Nextel in Sunrise, Fla., where one fan will have the
opportunity to shoot against Tampa Bay Lightning star goaltender
Nikolai Khabibulin for $250,000. Hockey great Phil Esposito will
announce and provide coaching to contestants during many of the local
competitions, including the Colorado Avalanche game on January 16.

The program also will benefit charity. Nextel is asking fans,
through a Donate a Phone campaign, to bring in their old or no longer
used wireless phones to Nextel retailers and participating NHL arenas,
with proceeds benefiting Hockey Fights Cancer.

A Chance to Win $250,000

Fans are invited to sign up for the opportunity to test their
shooting accuracy during one of three shootouts that will take place
at designated "Nextel Nights" in each participating NHL team's arena.
Winners advance to a fourth night of competition to determine a Local
Winner, who receives an all-expenses paid trip for two to 2003 NHL
All-Star Weekend in South Florida.

There, they will compete against 13 other contestants from around
the country. The winner will shoot on Khabibulin between periods at
the NHL All-Star Game on Sunday, February 2, 2003, for a chance to win
$250,000.

The Colorado Avalanche "Nextel Nights" in Denver, CO, will be held
on Wednesday, November 27, Friday, December 27, Thursday, January 16,
2003, (hockey great Phil Esposito will be in attendance), and Monday,
January 20, 2003.

Three additional winners will be selected through a sweepstakes at
Nextel retailers and on NHL.com.

Other participating teams are: Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue
Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Nashville Predators, New
York Rangers, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning,
and Washington Capitals.

"We're very excited to announce this national competition working
closely with our club partners, such as the Colorado Avalanche, and
the NHL," said Michael Robichaud, director of sports and event
marketing for Nextel Communications. "We're continuing to enhance our
partnership with the NHL, supported by the enthusiastic involvement of
Phil Esposito and Nikolai Khabibulin. This is a unique way to reach
our customers, since this is the first time a consumer has competed
against a professional athlete in an NHL promotion."

"We're thrilled that our partner Nextel is involving our fans in
this competition, while utilizing the Colorado Avalanche, to reach its
customers in innovative ways," said Tom Philand, Kroenke Sports senior
vice president of marketing & corporate sales. "The events, both
locally and at All-Star Weekend, are sure to be a fan favorite, while
benefiting a worthy cause - Hockey Fights Cancer."

How to Enter

Entries are available at all Nextel Retail store locations
nationwide, as well as team arenas and participating Nextel Authorized
Retailers. Fans can also enter and obtain official rules by logging on
to www.nhl.com/nextel or www.coloradoavalanche.com. No purchase is
necessary and entries can be submitted through December 30, 2002.

Donate a Phone to Benefit Hockey Fights Cancer

In association with the competition, Nextel has partnered with the
Wireless Foundation and Central Transport to announce its Donate A
Phone program. Fans are asked to recycle their old, no longer used
wireless phones on 44 "Nextel Nights" including four at Pepsi Center
or at any of its participating Retail Store locations over the next
three months. (Please see following list.)

For each phone collected, funds will be donated to the NHL's
non-profit organization, Hockey Fights Cancer. Collections begin
during the first week of November at Nextel Retail Stores in each team
market, and will last through January 2003. Results of the Donate a
Phone Program will be announced during the All-Star Game events in
February.

"The primary goal of the Donate a Phone Program is to collect
wireless phones that consumers aren't using to provide additional
funding for Hockey Fights Cancer," said Robichaud. "With more than 30
million used phones lying idle in American homes and businesses, this
is an opportunity for our customers to help support a worthy charity
and at the same time, provides an environmentally sound disposal of
unused phones."

"We are proud to donate transportation services in partnership
with Nextel and the Wireless Foundation in their efforts to help
Hockey Fights Cancer," said Mike Lorenz, president of Central
Transport.

Any portable cellular or PCS phone is accepted, excluding bag
phones or vehicle-installed models. Nextel will also take the phones'
batteries or chargers, if available. Collection dates will occur at
Colorado Avalanche games on Wednesday, November 27, Friday, December
27, Thursday, January 16, 2003, (hockey great Phil Esposito will be in
attendance), and Monday, January 20, 2003.

Donate a Phone is a part of the Cellular Telecommunications and
Internet Association (CTIA) Wireless Foundation's national campaign
which collects wireless phones that are no longer being used by
consumers. In partnership with both industry and civic organizations,
Donate a Phone generates funding for a variety of charitable efforts
at local and national levels.

About Hockey Fights Cancer

Hockey Fights Cancer is a joint charitable initiative founded in
December 1998 by the National Hockey League and NHL Players'
Association and supported by NHL Member Clubs, NHL Alumni, the NHL
Officials' Association, Professional Hockey Athletic Trainers and
Equipment Managers, corporate marketing partners, broadcast partners
and fans throughout North America.

Hockey Fights Cancer is committed to raising money and awareness
for hockey's most important fight. Over the last five years, more than
$5 million has been raised. Fans are encouraged to join the fight by
calling 1-800-540-6500 or logging on to www.hockeyfightscancer.com.

About CTIA Wireless Foundation

The Wireless Foundation supports programs that address some of our
country's greatest challenges through creative applications of
wireless technology. For additional information on the Wireless
Foundation, please visit www.wirelessfoundation.org.

About Central Transport

The Central Transport® brand, marketed by Central Transport
International, Inc., is a major less-than-truckload (LTL) service
reaching across most of North America. The company, based in suburban
Detroit, is part of a group of transportation-related companies owned
by privately held CenTra, Inc., which Forbes ranks among the largest
500 private companies in America.

For more information, visit www.centraltransportint.com.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 197
of the top 200 U.S. markets.

Through recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service
is available today in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240
million people live or work.

Note: Store list to follow.

-0-

Nextel Retail Store Collection Sites

Chapel Hills Colorado Springs
1710 Briargate Blvd. 750 Citadel Drive East
Colorado Springs, CO 80920 Colorado Springs, CO 80909
719.528.8050 719.573.2420

Westwood Shoppingtown Southwest Plaza
10705 West Colfax Avenue 8501 West Bowles Avenue
Lakewood, CO 80215 Littleton, CO 80123
303.274.0314 720.981.0873

Superior Marketplace Cherry Creek Mall
502 Center Drive 3000 East 1st Avenue
Superior, CO 80027 Denver, CO 80206
720.304.3748 303.331.1568

Greeley Mall Park Meadows Mall
2050 Greeley Mall 8405 Park Meadow Center Drive
Greeley, CO 80632 Littleton, CO 80124
970.351.8857 303.790.1166

Southglenn Mall The Shops at Jefferson Village
6911-341 S. University Blvd. 9956 West Remington Place
Littleton, CO 80122 Littleton, CO 80128
303.738.1772 720.922.1652

Contact:

Nextel Communications Inc.
Media:
Brina Bittle, 703/928-0481
or
Colorado Avalanche
Jean Martineau, 303/405-6005
or
Hayne Ellis, 303/405-6010

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

$8.95 Domain Name Registrations & $7.75 Transfers at GoDaddy.com

·

Planning to Sell Your Home? Compare REALTORS® and View Homes!

·

Join Gevalia Kaffe today & Get a Great Gift!

·

Low Cost $39.99/Mo. Unlimited Nationwide Calling. www.vonage.com

·

Web hosting. Best quality, 24/7 toll free support. Lowest prices.

·

#1 site for Credit - www.eCreditCards.com(U.S. Only)

·

Find Old Friends at Classmates.com

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

Paying too much for car insurance? Find out

·

Interest rates won't stay this low forever. Yahoo! Mortgage Center

Related
Quote

NXTL

13.521

-0.309

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Stock Rating Reiterations Midday Update: NVLS TPC NXTP - Dow Jones Business News (12:45 pm)

·

[external] 'Smart Money' Places Its Wireless Bets on Nextel, AT&T Wireless - at TheStreet.com (10:52 am)

·

Nextel downgraded by Kaufman Bros - Briefing.com (Fri Nov 22)

·

Ten Reasons This Rally's for Real - RealCommentary from TheStreet.com (Fri Nov 22)

More...

·

By
industry:
Sports, Telecom

Top Stories

·

SEC, Companies Settle Disclosure Cases - Reuters (1:31 pm)

·

Existing Homes Sales Rise in October - Reuters (10:54 am)

·

Late Thanksgiving Dents Retail Sales - Reuters (12:43 pm)

·

Ford Leads Auto Stocks Higher - Reuters (12:31 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

Copyright ©
2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy
-
Terms of Service
Copyright
©
2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.