Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Communications Networks

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:37:24 -0500

Message

Here is a collection of some of the recent links on this list focusing on 
public communications networks.

"Bypassing the Carriers, a Burg Goes Broadband"
http://www.ecorridors.vt.edu/news/topic/communitynetworks/cumberland.shtml

Missouri case may go to Supreme Court 
http://www37.homepage.villanova.edu/kristin.guarino/
High%20court%20may%20settle.htm 

Public Power Magazine:  "Taking Fiber Home"
http://www.appanet.org/newsroom/magazine/high2.cfm

Cedar Falls Broadband Utility Fueling Economic Growth
http://www.appanet.org/pdfreq.cfm?PATH_INFO=/legislative
regulatory/broadband/news/news20021021.pdf&VARACTION=GO 

"Muni Nets Offer New-Business Lift"
http://www.broadbandweek.com/news/020722/020722_biz_4.htm 

LaGrange, GA, wins worldwide recognition for creative broadband
http://www.appanet.org/pdfreq.cfm?PATH_INFO=/legislativeregulatory/
broadband/news/PPDjuly23.pdf&VARACTION=GO

 More news on UTOPIA Project
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,405029935,00.html

"Broadband Suburbia" (thanks to Neil Lehto)
http://telephonyonline.com/microsites/magazinearticle.asp?mode=
print&magazinearticleid=156632&releaseid=&srid=
10164&magazineid=7&siteid=3

Wireless broadband for rural communities
http://www.wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/printer/12805/

Poor prospects of broadband in rural areas
http://intel.si.umich.edu/tprc/papers/2002/68/TPRC_paper_for_
September02.pdf

FTTH/B in Chelan County, WA 
http://www.alcatel.com/vpr/?body=http://www.home.alcatel.com/
vpr/vpr.nsf/DateKey/17092002_2uk 

Independence, Oregon, considers municipal broadband
http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/
html_standard.xsl?/base/news/1032609403136442.xml

The basics of rural Internet by satellite
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/17/technology/circuits/17basi.html

Bristol Virginia Utilities launches cable TV and high-speed Internet
http://www.bristolnews.com/front/MGBU26F3O7D.html

Charter drops rates in Bristol, VA, not Bristol, TN
http://www.bristolnews.com/front/MGB3CBI3O7D.html

Wireless in Sioux Falls, SD
http://www.forbes.com/best/2002/0325/002_print.html

SandNet -- Sandy, Oregon
http://www.ci.sandy.or.us/sandynet/sandynet.htm

New competition from public entities
http://telephonyonline.com/microsites/newsarticle.asp?mode=print&news
articleid=1426177&releaseid=&srid=10164&magazineid=7&siteid=3

Bristol editorial responds to Charter's gripes:  That's competition
http://www.bristolnews.com/features/editorial/MGBCFCLBP7D.html

Hopkinsville, Kentucky, surveys public on municipal utility entry
http://www.kentuckynewera.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/200211/03+City-
survey-11-3-02_news.html+20021103+news

City of Danville, VA to provide fiber-optic Internet access for local hospital
http://www.registerbee.com/MGB36BZK98D.html

Connected in Kentucky
http://www.govtech.net/magazine/sup_story.phtml?magid=
1505000000000021&id=3030000000027548.0 

Taunton MA, Municipal Lighting Plant to offer FTTH Dec. 1
http://www.tauntongazette.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5995980&BRD=
1711&PAG=461&dept_id=24232&rfi=6

Concord, MA considers FTTH via its Municipal Light Plant
http://www.townonline.com/concord/news/local_regional/con_
covcotelecomp11072002.htm

Milwaukee unveils municipal broadband network
http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle?doc_id
=IWK20021101S0032

Glenwood Springs to provide first municipal broadband network in Colorado
http://gp.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=GP&Date=20021112&
Category=VALLEYNEWS&ArtNo=211110003&Ref=AR 

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/state_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2419
_1541078,00.html  

More on Norwood, MA muni cable TV/broadband service
http://www.neponsetvalleydailynews.com/news/local_regional/norw_
cable11142002.htm

McAlester, Okla. providing wireless Internet access as a public utility
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=6063970&BRD=
1126&PAG=461&dept_id=434982&rfi=6

High Speed Internet on Tap In Sun Prairie, WI
http://www.madison.com/wisconsinstatejournal/local/23327.html

"Cities Online: Urban Development and the Internet"
http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/pdfs/PIP_Cities_Online_Report.pdf

Rural Broadband
http://www.opticalsolutions.com/articles/neteconomy061101.shtml

Debate continues on Tri-Cities (IL) municipal broadband network
http://www.kcchronicle.com/today/KCC/news/279048281617710.html

Galion, OH mulls municipal broadband network
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/news/stories/20021118/localnews/396579.html
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Here is a
collection of some of the recent links on this list focusing on
public communications networks.

"Bypassing the Carriers, a Burg
Goes Broadband"

http://www.ecorridors.vt.edu/news/topic/communitynetworks/cumberland.shtml

Missouri case may go to
Supreme Court

http://www37.homepage.villanova.edu/kristin.guarino/
High%20court%20may%20settle.htm

Public Power Magazine:  "Taking Fiber
Home"

http://www.appanet.org/newsroom/magazine/high2.cfm

Cedar Falls
Broadband Utility Fueling Economic Growth

http://www.appanet.org/pdfreq.cfm?PATH_INFO=/legislative
regulatory/broadband/news/news20021021.pdf&VARACTION=GO

"Muni Nets Offer New-Business Lift"

http://www.broadbandweek.com/news/020722/020722_biz_4.htm

LaGrange, GA, wins worldwide recognition for
creative broadband

http://www.appanet.org/pdfreq.cfm?PATH_INFO=/legislativeregulatory/
broadband/news/PPDjuly23.pdf&VARACTION=GO

More news on UTOPIA
Project

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,405029935,00.html

"Broadband Suburbia" (thanks to Neil
Lehto)

http://telephonyonline.com/microsites/magazinearticle.asp?mode=
print&magazinearticleid=156632&releaseid=&srid=
10164&magazineid=7&siteid=3

Wireless broadband for rural
communities

http://www.wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/printer/12805/

Poor prospects of
broadband in rural areas

http://intel.si.umich.edu/tprc/papers/2002/68/TPRC_paper_for_
September02.pdf

FTTH/B in Chelan County,
WA

http://www.alcatel.com/vpr/?body=http://www.home.alcatel.com/
vpr/vpr.nsf/DateKey/17092002_2uk

Independence, Oregon, considers
municipal broadband

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/
html_standard.xsl?/base/news/1032609403136442.xml

The basics of rural Internet by
satellite

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/17/technology/circuits/17basi.html

Bristol Virginia Utilities launches cable TV and high-speed
Internet

http://www.bristolnews.com/front/MGBU26F3O7D.html

Charter drops rates in Bristol, VA, not Bristol,
TN

http://www.bristolnews.com/front/MGB3CBI3O7D.html

Wireless in Sioux Falls,
SD

http://www.forbes.com/best/2002/0325/002_print.html

SandNet -- Sandy,
Oregon

http://www.ci.sandy.or.us/sandynet/sandynet.htm

New competition from public entities

http://telephonyonline.com/microsites/newsarticle.asp?mode=print&news
articleid=1426177&releaseid=&srid=10164&magazineid=7&siteid=3

Bristol editorial responds to
Charter's gripes:  That's competition

http://www.bristolnews.com/features/editorial/MGBCFCLBP7D.html

Hopkinsville, Kentucky, surveys
public on municipal utility entry

http://www.kentuckynewera.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/200211/03+City-
survey-11-3-02_news.html+20021103+news

City of Danville, VA to provide
fiber-optic Internet access for local hospital

http://www.registerbee.com/MGB36BZK98D.html

Connected in Kentucky

http://www.govtech.net/magazine/sup_story.phtml?magid=
1505000000000021&id=3030000000027548.0

Taunton MA, Municipal Lighting Plant to
offer FTTH Dec. 1

http://www.tauntongazette.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5995980&BRD=
1711&PAG=461&dept_id=24232&rfi=6

Concord, MA considers FTTH via
its Municipal Light Plant

http://www.townonline.com/concord/news/local_regional/con_
covcotelecomp11072002.htm

Milwaukee unveils municipal
broadband network

http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle?doc_id
=IWK20021101S0032

Glenwood Springs to provide
first municipal broadband network in Colorado

http://gp.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=GP&Date=20021112&
Category=VALLEYNEWS&ArtNo=211110003&Ref=AR

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/state_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2419
_1541078,00.html

More on Norwood, MA muni cable
TV/broadband service

http://www.neponsetvalleydailynews.com/news/local_regional/norw_
cable11142002.htm

McAlester, Okla. providing
wireless Internet access as a public utility

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=6063970&BRD=
1126&PAG=461&dept_id=434982&rfi=6

High Speed Internet on Tap In Sun Prairie, WI

http://www.madison.com/wisconsinstatejournal/local/23327.html

"Cities Online: Urban Development and the
Internet"

http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/pdfs/PIP_Cities_Online_Report.pdf

Rural
Broadband

http://www.opticalsolutions.com/articles/neteconomy061101.shtml

Debate
continues on Tri-Cities (IL) municipal broadband network

http://www.kcchronicle.com/today/KCC/news/279048281617710.html

Galion, OH mulls municipal
broadband network

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/news/stories/20021118/localnews/396579.html

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---
You are currently subscribed to telecom-cities as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

To set DIGEST mode and only receive one list message per day with all the daily traffic, please visit the list website at http://www.informationcity.org/telecom-cities