Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi To Show Off Its Business Savvy

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:41:28 -0500

http://library.northernlight.com/FF20021129140000076.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

Wi-Fi To Show Off Its Business Savvy

Nov 29, 2002 (Internet.com via COMTEX) -- SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- As a wireless standard, 802.11 (also known as Wi-Fi ) is an increasingly popular technology that provides high-speed wireless Internet access in airports, cafes, corporate offices, universities, factories and homes.

Source:

INT Media Group, Inc.

Date:

11/29/2002 16:52

Price:

Free

Document Size:

Very Short (397 words)

Document ID:

FF20021129140000076

Subject(s):

ITC; Adoption; Business; California; CEO; Conference; Corporate; Executive; Internet; Local; Marketing; Mobile Computing; Money; Networking; Products; Technology; Wireless; Wisconsin

Wi-Fi To Show Off Its Business Savvy

Story Filed: Friday, November 29, 2002 4:52 PM EST

Nov 29, 2002 (Internet.com via COMTEX) -- SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- As a wireless
standard, 802.11 (also known as Wi-Fi ) is an increasingly popular technology
that provides high-speed wireless Internet access in airports, cafes, corporate
offices, universities, factories and homes.

But while tapping into your local hotspot like those offered by Starbucks is all
well and good, making sense (and money) of the alphabet soup that make up the
enterprise versions of the mobile platform can be difficult. Cutting through the
hype will be the focus of the 802.11 Planet Fall 2002 Conference & Expo
(December 3-5). The Wi-Fi Alliance certified event brings together some of the
biggest names in mobile computing to discuss cutting edge strategies in 802.11.

The three-day event is hosted by 802.11-Planet.com , 802.11-HotSpots.com , , and
internet.com , and is produced by Jupitermedia , the parent company of this
site.

Keynoting the event is Dennis Eaton, Chairman of the Wi-Fi Alliance and
Strategic Marketing Manager for Intersil; Sky Dayton, Founder and CEO of Boingo
Wireless; and Kevin Duffy, General Manager of the Broadband Services Division at
Proxim.

"From its humble beginnings in 1990, Wi-Fi has been successful beyond our
wildest imagination with over 500 certified products to date" said Eaton. "We
are in the early phases of much broader adoption of Wi-Fi technology as it
starts to find its way into all sorts of products and applications that were
never originally envisioned."

Already companies like Intersil, Proxim, Yamacraw and Intel are looking forward
to the next few years. That's when analysts are predicting "intelligent"
wireless roaming will be an established technology, the number of Wi-Fi hotspots
should triple and a 90 percent of laptops will have 802.11wireless LAN
capabilities.

"We're just now seeing the possibilities of wireless networking, and over the
next year we should see a whole new class of applications hitting the market
that can take advantage of wireless computing," said Executive Editor Kevin
Reichard.

By InternetNews.com Staff
URL:
http://www.internet.com

Copyright 2001 INT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Republication and redistribution of INT Media Group content is
Expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of INT Media
Group, Inc.. INT Media Group, Inc., shall not be liable for any errors
or delays in the Content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

SUBJECT CODE: 802.11
Broadband
General
Intel

Copyright © 2002, INT Media Group, Inc., all rights reserved.

You may now print or save this document.