Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IEEE Spectrum Presents Panel Symposium of Cutting-Edge Technologies At COMDEX Fall 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:50:01 -0500

http://library.northernlight.com/FC20021118750000010.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

IEEE Spectrum Presents Panel Symposium of Cutting-Edge Technologies At COMDEX Fall 2002

LAS VEGAS, Nov 18, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) --; IEEE Spectrum; Panels To Cover Autonomic Computing, Organic Electronics, The Current; State of Gallium Nitride, Voice Control and The Semantic Web

Source:

Business Wire

Date:

11/18/2002 09:53

Price:

Free

Document Size:

Short (1 or 2 pages)

Document ID:

FC20021118750000010

Subject(s):

Art; Business; California; CEO; Computer; Conference; Electrical; Electronics; Engineering; Executive; Exploration; Government; Information Technology; Jordan; Knowledge Management; Local; Market; Marketing; Mining; Note; Optical; Optics; Physics; President; Products; Research; Revenue; Sales; Semiconductors; Standards; Technology; Track; University; Web

Document Type:

Press releases

IEEE Spectrum Presents Panel Symposium of Cutting-Edge Technologies At COMDEX Fall 2002

Story Filed: Monday, November 18, 2002 9:53 AM EST

LAS VEGAS, Nov 18, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) --

IEEE Spectrum

Panels To Cover Autonomic Computing, Organic Electronics, The Current
State of Gallium Nitride, Voice Control and The Semantic Web

IEEE Spectrum is featuring five technologies destined to make headlines and
generate revenue in the next five years in a five-panel track entitled "Crystal
Ball: Technology Infusion" here at COMDEX Fall 2002.

IEEE Spectrum, the flagship publication of the IEEE, the world's largest and
most influential electrotechnology association, has assembled experts from
corporations, government and academia to provide an insider's view of five new
business-critical technologies. Technologies to be explored are autonomic
computing, organic electronics, gallium nitride, speech recognition and the
semantic Web. The sessions will be held on November 19th and 20th as part of
COMDEX's business technology conference. In conjunction with the panel
discussions, product mock-ups, prototypes and further information pertaining to
each of the technologies will be on display in the IEEE Spectrum booth (#7958).

"IEEE Spectrum is showcasing tomorrow's technology today at COMDEX," said Harry
Goldstein, IEEE Spectrum senior associate editor. "Companies are spending their
precious research and development dollars on these technologies because of the
impact they will have on the world we live in and their projected economic
success."

"Key 3 is particularly pleased with our collaboration with IEEE Spectrum because
of the expertise and authority the magazine offers to COMDEX attendees," said
Mike Millikin, senior vice president, COMDEX Worldwide. "We also welcome the
members of the IEEE to COMDEX where they will be able to get a full perspective
on what are the next 'sure bets' in the IT world."

Additional information about the panels and the presenters:
Voice Control (Wednesday, Nov. 20, 1:00 p.m. local):

Jean Kumagai IEEE Spectrum senior associate editor will lead a panel discussion
previewing speech recognition for PDAs, car telematics, telephones and other
applications. Panelists are: Jordan Cohen, CTO, Voice Signal Technologies, Inc.;
Todd Mozer, CEO, Sensory Inc.; and Michael Weinhoffer, director, sales &
marketing, Embedded Speech Group, Phillips Speech Processing.

Autonomic Computing (Wednesday, Nov. 20, 10:30 a.m. local):

Harry Goldstein, IEEE Spectrum senior associate editor will lead a panel
discussion on how companies are designing computers and computer networks that
can configure, maintain and repair themselves without human intervention.
Panelists are: Alan Ganek, VP of Autonomic Computing, IBM; Surajit Chaudhuri,
senior researcher and manager, Data Management, Exploration and Mining,
Microsoft Research; and Wolfgang Gentzsch, director, Grid Computing, Sun
Microsystems.

The Semantic Web (Tuesday, Nov. 19, 1:00 p.m. local):

Steven M. Cherry, IEEE Spectrum senior associate editor will lead a panel
discussion on the new technologies to make Web searching easier, highlighting
new technologies that can interpret Web pages and even negotiate with them on
the users behalf. Panelists are: Ed H. Chi, research scientist, Palo Alto
Research Center (formerly Xerox PARC); Rob McCool, research programmer,
Knowledge Systems Lab, Stanford University; and Prabhakar Raghavan, VP and CTO,
Verity, Inc.

Organic Electronics (Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2:30 p.m. local):

Samuel K. Moore, IEEE Spectrum associate editor will lead a panel discussion on
organic carbon-based semiconductors and molecular electronics. These organic
electronics will make possible such things as a super-efficient display that can
be rolled up into a tube or popped into handheld devices, cheap circuitry
literally inked onto almost any surface and cheap flexible plastic circuits so
tiny their workings hinge on the action of a single molecule. Panelists are:
Julia Brown, vice president of Technology Development, Universal Display, Co.;
Daniel Gamota, department manager and Distinguished Member of the Technical
Staff, Motorola; and John Rogers, director of Condensed Matter Physics Research,
Lucent/Bell Labs.

The Current State of Gallium Nitride (Tuesday, Nov. 19, 10:30 a.m. local):

Glenn Zorpette, IEEE Spectrum executive editor will lead a panel discussion on
gallium nitride that has recently revolutionized the market for light-emitting
diodes (LEDs) by making possible the first green, blue and violet LEDs thus
creating a market worth over half a billion dollars a year. Now researchers are
closing in on the next stage of commercialization that will be at the heart of
digital video consoles and optical data-storage systems. Panelists will discuss
and compare the current state-of-the-art technologies in gallium nitride with
that of competing technologies and describe the applications and challenges for
GaN in the near future. Panelists are: John W. Palmour, director, Advanced
Services, Cree, Inc.; Steven DenBaars, Professor, Electrical Engineering,
University of California, Santa Barbara; and Noble Johnson, manager,
Optoelectronics, Palo Alto Research Center.

About Key3Media Group:

COMDEX Fall is a Key3Media event. Key3Media Group, Inc., produces information
technology tradeshows and conferences. Key3Media's products range from the IT
industry's largest exhibitions such as COMDEX and NetWorld+Interop to highly
focused events featuring renowned educational programs, custom seminars and
specialized vendor marketing programs. For more information about Key3Media,
visit
www.key3media.com.

About IEEE Spectrum

IEEE Spectrum is published monthly by the Institute of Electrical and Electronic
Engineers (IEEE), the world's largest organization of technology and business
leaders. 385,000 executives, engineers, and computer scientists at the world's
largest companies and universities look to IEEE Spectrum each month for the
latest news, the most accurate information, and the newest insights in their
fields. IEEE Spectrum readership comprises the largest concentration of
high-tech professionals and senior managers of any publication in its niche.
Collectively these readers own thousands of patents and develop standards that
ensure sound engineering practices worldwide. IEEE Spectrum also communicates
through its Web site, Spectrum On Line (
www.spectrum.ieee.org), whose content
includes numerous news stories and features beyond those featured in the
publication.

Editor's Note: IEEE Spectrum will be holding special press and analyst question
and answer sessions directly after each panel. For more information please
contact Scott Berwitz at 212/896-1272, [email-masked].

CONTACT: KCSA Public Relations Worldwide
Tim Heffernan/ Scott Berwitz
212/896-1223/ 212/896-1272
[email-masked]/ [email-masked]

URL:
http://www.businesswire.com

Today's News On The Net - Business Wire's full file on the Internet
with Hyperlinks to your home page.

Copyright (C) 2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved.

KEYWORD: NEVADA NEW YORK TRACK

INDUSTRY KEYWORD: COMPUTERS/ELECTRONICS

E-COMMERCE

INTERNET

NETWORKING

SOFTWARE

TRADESHOW

SOURCE:

IEEE

Spectrum

Copyright © 2002, Business Wire, all rights reserved.

You may now print or save this document.