Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Evolutionary Cell Phones, Headsets Debut

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:31:48 -0500

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/pcworld/20021119/tc_pcworld/107055
-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

News Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome, Guest

Personalize News Home Page

-

Sign In

Yahoo! News
Tue, Nov 19, 2002

Search

News StoriesNews PhotosAudio/VideoFull CoverageThe New York TimesAll of Yahoo!

for

Advanced

News Front Page

Top Stories

Business

World

Entertainment

Sports

Technology

Internet

Personal Tech.

Communications

Software

Enterprise

Apple/Macintosh

Politics

Science

Health

Oddly Enough

Op/Ed

Lifestyle

Local

Comics

News Photos

Weather

Most Popular

Audio/Video

Full Coverage

Lottery

Crosswords

News for Kids

News Resources

Providers

Reuters

AP

TechWeb

USA TODAY

NewsFactor

PC World

News Alerts

Comdex

Nokia

Search News

Search:

News StoriesNews PhotosAudio/VideoFull CoverageNew York TimesAll of Yahoo!
for

Advanced

Technology - PC World

Evolutionary Cell Phones, Headsets Debut

Mon Nov 18, 8:00 PM ET

Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service

LAS VEGAS-- Some innovative mobile phones and accessories were shown
for the first time Monday evening at MobileFocus, a showcase on the sidelines
of the Comdex (news - web sites) trade show here.

•

Cell Phone Maker Calls on USB

•

Nokia's New Phone Straddles Two Worlds

•

Nokia Launches Multi-Function Mobile Gadgets

•

Siemens Shows Stylish GSM Phones

•

Samsung Smart Phones to Run Symbian

Research In Motion unveiled a version of its BlackBerry wireless
handheld that includes two-way radio capability. The BlackBerry 6510, which
will be sold by U.S. national mobile operator Nextel Communications, includes a
Motorola two-way radio for Nextel Direct Connect service.

The 6510 is similar to current combination phone-handhelds from RIM,
except for a button added to the top of the device that lets users make a
direct "walkie-talkie" connection to anyone in a selected group of colleagues
or friends in the same Nextel local calling area. A local calling area may
extend over hundreds of miles, according to information on Nextel's Web
site.

The BlackBerry 6510, which also has conventional mobile phone
capability, is available now from Nextel for an introductory price of $500.

Nokia (news - web sites), Logitech Previews

Nokia showed off a variety of new handsets including the Nokia 3650,
which features a large, 176-by-208-pixel color display and a keypad with the
numbers arranged in a circle. The distinctive design was intended to appeal to
a young audience, according to the company.

The phone has a built-in digital still and motion camera and supports
audio capture. It also lets users send audio and video content along with text
using Multimedia Messaging Service. It has Global System for Mobile
Communications voice and data capability as well as support for high-speed data
transfer using General Packet Radio Service and High Speed Circuit Switched
Data. The 3650 is set to become available in early 2003 for $400 or less, Nokia
officials said.

Logitech previewed a wireless headset for mobile phones that uses a
proprietary ultra-low-power radio frequency technology. The headset can be used
with existing mobile phones via a small dongle that snaps into the bottom of
the phone.

Despite the new technology, the product doesn't represent a shift away
from Bluetooth wireless data technology, according to spokesperson Susan Ross.
In fact, Logitech is still exploring Bluetooth and hopes to use the wireless
technology in a headset next year, she said.

"A lot of customers don't want to buy into a Bluetooth phone because
they're locked into a service contract" with a mobile operator, Ross said

The RF headset has a range of about 12 feet to 15 feet between the phone
and headset. Users can initiate calls and change volume using controls on the
headset, which wraps around the ear and has a microphone on a small attached
arm. Numbers can be dialed by voice. The setup could be used for safely making
calls while driving, Ross said.

ADVERTISEMENT

<a href="http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/yhxxxaws07200039ave/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/time=1037777436855845" target="_blank"><img border="0" src="http://view.atdmt.com/AVE/view/yhxxxaws07200039ave/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/time=1037777436855845" /></a>

Logitech expects to announce the product officially at the Consumer
Electronics Show in January and begin shipping it that same month for about
$100.

Email Story

Post/Read Msgs

Print Story

Ratings:

Would you recommend this story?

Not at all

1
- 2
- 3
- 4
- 5

Highly

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"
src="http://personal.news.yahoo.com/us/news/ratings/getavgrate.html?locale=us&prop=news&rateid=pcworld/20021119/107055&type=T&js=1">
</script>

Next Story:

Copy Control Complaint Desk Opens (PC World)

More Technology - Top Stories Stories

·

NCR to Eliminate 1,500 Jobs

(AP)

·

Microsoft To Add OneNote To Office
(TechWeb)

·

A White House tour and an iPod celebration
(USA TODAY)

·

Where Is MP4?
(NewsFactor)

·

FDA Warns Applied Digital on Chip Implant
(Reuters)

Shopping for a new car?

ADVERTISEMENT

Get a free price quote from a dealer in your area. No obligation, no hassle.

- Model - - Select a Make -

Zip:

Toyota Car

Toyota Trucks

Jeep

Chrysler

Honda
Nissan

Ford Car

Ford Trucks

Chevrolet

Chevy Truck

Buick
Cadillac

Weekly Specials

ADVERTISEMENT

·

Find Old Friends at Classmates.com

·

Refinance Now! Before Rates Increase!

·

Planning to Sell Your Home? Compare REALTORS® Now!

·

$8.95 Domain Name Registrations & $7.75 Transfers at GoDaddy.com

·

10 Dangerous Intersections

·

Credit Card offers @ eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

TD Waterhouse-Special Offer

·

Join Gevalia Kaffe today & Get a Great Gift!

·

$7.95 Domain Name Registrations & Transfers at Aplus.Net!

·

Web hosting. Best quality, 24/7 toll free support. Lowest prices.

ADVERTISEMENT

Services

•

Daily Emails

•

Free News Alerts

Tech
Education

•

Online IT

Degree Programs

•

Online IT Certification Programs

from Yahoo! Education

Copyright © 2002 PC World Communications, Inc.

Copyright © 2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service