Subject: [mobile-ip] Mipv6 issue #182: Configured care-of addresses

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:13:28 +0200

Another issue from your long e-mail. You wrote:

 > > In some cases, a mobile node may already know a (constant) IPv6
 > > address that has been assigned to it for its use only while
 > > visiting a specific foreign link.  For example, a mobile node may be
 > > statically configured with an IPv6 address assigned by the system
 > > administrator of some foreign link, for its use while visiting that
 > > link. If so, rather than using Address Autoconfiguration to form a
 > > new care-of address using this subnet prefix, the mobile node MAY use
 > > its own pre-assigned address as its care-of address on this link.
 >
 > So, explain to me how the device knows when it is connected to the
 > specific foreign link where it is allowed to use a particular address,
 > as opposed to some random link where that address would not work....

Perhaps it detects this from the RA that it hears. However,
I'm not too happy with this function myself. Is there a specific
reason why this is needed in some environment? Aren't regular
IPv6 mechanisms sufficient? Is this in the spec for optimization
reasons? Wouldn't it be better to work on optimistic DAD and improved
beacons or other schemes instead, given that the configuration-based
approach doesn't appear to be a very scalable solution in the first
place.

My proposal is to remove this feature and the paragraph above.

Jari