Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Boston TV station disrupts Camco police system

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 21:23:00 -0600

http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/november/m110102a.htm

By JASON LAUGHLIN
Courier-Post Staff
LINDENWOLD

A Boston-area TV station's new 24-hour-a-day digital signal is 
disrupting Camden County's police communications system, threatening 
public safety by drowning out calls from officers to central dispatch in 
certain kinds of weather.

<snip>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 22:42:46 -0500

Too bad there are not more technical details here.

Hey Peter Z. what do you know about this?

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Bill Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 02:35:24 -0500

They are authorized 1000 KW at 299 Meters or so on channel 20 DTV and run on
channel 5 analog.  The Tower is around 40-50 miles from water with very
little significant terrain in that direction, It is South West of Boston at
the intersection of State route 9 and Interstate 95.  In my case, When they
powered up, I started getting hit with IM and had to increase my preselector
selectivity to get the now troublesome 454 paging and 460 Police stuff out
of my 456 inputs.   I'm a little closer at about 5 miles.  We also have our
local PBS station assigned to Ch 19 also at 1000 KW and 317 meters and an
independent running 52 KW at just under 200 meters in downtown Boston on Ch
18.  Bad news for Boston Fire and most Boston area Fire departments running
on T-band frequencies. Boston is running on 483 out and 486 meg input freqs
like most other FD's and many PD's are on 482 and 470 outputs. These
corresponding to Channel's 16 and 14 respectively.

We have, at 456 megs, had numerous problems with cochannel from Maine, New
York and Virginia for over twenty years, when the system first went in,
during the summer months when conditions get bad, so these propogation
anomalies are not unknown.

I thought that the new DTV assignments were from Ch 21 to Ch 59 but
obviously, they are not.  I'm sure NJ could mitigate a lot of the problem
with some judicious satellite receiver placement.  Here's a perfect case for
the FCC to force the clearing of 700 MHz and allowing Public Safety access,
but who paysNJ for the move?.  Or, Nextel could deliver that nice public
safety system they have pushing ( Hey, Boston doesn't bother us!)   Or, WCVB
could go very retro and use some of that digital bandwidth to dispatch the
PD....... Hey, it worked at 1.6 megs, why not 500? make a little extra cash
that way too...

Who's going to be forced into "fixing" another spectrum allocation mess? or
are they going to Nextel this one too?

---- Original Message -----
From: "Marcel" <[email-masked]>