Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi That Follows You Around

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 00:17:22 -0600

New startup announces phased-array "wi-fi" access points. This looks 
like a sword that cuts both ways - it could be used to reduce 
interference from adjacent networks - or increase it.

Company ...

http://www.vivato.net/

... and articles ...

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56166,00.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/04/technology/04WIRE.html?ex=1037077200&en=73fe9673f9ef8196&ei=5062
[ warning: the nytimes article is authored by John Markoff so set your 
hype-protection to full-on before reading. ]

Could someone comment on FCC part xxx compliance, etc. ???
(actually, someone has ...)

-------------------- SNIP ----------------------
Sometimes the FCC regulates how directional you're allowed to be.

The magic word here is EIRP, Effective Isotropic Radiated Power. It's 
how bright you look to someone who's in line with your RF beam. Even if 
your total power is low, and you're avoiding interference with people 
who aren't in line with your directional beam, high EIRP can cause 
problems for innocent bystanders anywhere on the line between you and 
your intended recipient.

EIRP increases with transmitter power and with antenna gain (== 
directionality).

This is why it's technically illegal to put a better antenna on your 
cordless phone, and why the phones don't come with easily replaceable 
antennas.

Now, if these people are really smart, they could set their beamforming 
code to plant a null on any 802.11 network that's not a customer, in 
which case they'll avoid interference.

Fred KC7YRN
-------------------- SNIP ----------------------

Could anyone else add to this?

-rick

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "wirelessintegrator" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 06:38:04 -0000

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/part15_8_23_02.pdf 

--- In NEXTEL-1@y..., Rick Parrish <rfmobile@s...> wrote:

//////snip/////