Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Above The RIM: Yet Another New Licensing Deal Sends Stock Soaring

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:04:00 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=11/08/02

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search Wireless Week

Entire Site
Articles
Web-Exclusive
Archives
Companies
Products
Directories
Events

Tips

|  Archives  |  Events  |  Directories  |  Discussions  |  news@2direct®  |  Subscribe  |

You Are Here > Home > News@2 Direct

Issues

Newsletter

news@2direct® Archive

Topics

Applications
Business and Finance
Global Regions
Industry Trends
Regulatory
Technology
Wireless Internet

Tools / Services

Archives

Capitol Hill Contacts

Directories

Events

Glossary

Industry Research

Industry Stocks

In-Stat Store

International Data

Product/Web Showcase

Show Dailies

Webcasts

Wireless 101

Web Directories

Associations
Carriers
Education
Government
Publishing
Research/Consultants
Vendors

Inside Wireless

Advertise - Web

Editorial Calendar

Print Subscription

Reprint Requests

Privacy Policy

Direct Marketing Lists

Above The RIM: Yet Another New Licensing Deal Sends Stock Soaring

By Wireless Week Staff
November 8, 2002

Print

E-mail

Subscribe

Single-page Format

Research In Motion is on a roll, announcing another
major new licensing deal that reflects the company's strategy to leverage the
technology it has developed for its BlackBerry wireless messaging system and
equipment.

RIM and Nokia today said they have a software licensing
agreement, terms of which were not disclosed, enabling Nokia to use and
distribute certain BlackBerry software globally, in conjunction with Nokia
products.

Word of the deal helped send RIM shares jumping by about 21 percent to $15.87
a share in mid-day Nasdaq trading today, as investors cheered the idea that the
company was opening up significant new revenue sources that will reduce its
reliance on equipment sales.

Besides the Nokia deal, RIM this week unveiled similar pacts with Handspring
and Palm, creating the potential for its technology to be used in millions of
handheld devices worldwide. Although the company's flagship BlackBerry device
and service have a great reputation among users, RIM counted only 408,000
BlackBerry customers as of Aug. 31. By comparison, Nokia estimates that it has
sold 1 million of its new 7600 series camera-phones since their introduction
several months ago.

For Nokia, the technology could provide benefits in the enterprise world that
is the BlackBerry's predominant customer base.

'BlackBerry provides a secure and extensible platform that will enable IT
departments to easily support Nokia mobile phones,' says Jim Balsillie, RIM's
chairman and co-CEO.

<< Previous News@2 Article

More News@2 >>

News Briefs:

Canadian GSM operator Microcell,
which is struggling to stay financially afloat, says it added only 5,978 net
new retail subscribers in the third quarter, compared with 66,698 a year
earlier. The company blamed the drop largely on a surge in churn among its
postpaid customers, rising to a monthly average rate of 3.9 percent from 2.8
percent a year earlier.

Ericsson says it supplied the network equipment and services
for Cable & Wireless Panama's deployment and launch of the world's first 850 MHz
GSM/GPRS network. The new network will supplant the service provider's
existing TDMA offering.

The Schlotzky's Deli chain is the
latest to jump on the 802.11 hot spot bandwagon. The company this weekend will
be offering free Web access via wireless LAN at 10 restaurants in Austin,
Texas, and may expand the offering in the future.

There's nothing like recognition from the pocket-protector crowd:
Sprint says its
PCS Vision service has been recognized by Popular Science
Magazine
as one of the most outstanding technologies this year.

Arch Wireless says it had an $8.8
million profit in the third quarter, compared with a $95.8 million net loss in
the same period last year. The messaging company, which this year emerged from
a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization that slashed its debt load, says there
was no subscriber growth in its two-way messaging units and a net decline of
588,000 one-way units during the quarter.

Superconductor Technologies says total revenue more than
doubled to $4.7 million in the third qurarter, while the net loss for the
wireless components maker remained steady at $4.8 million.

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=11%2F08%2F02;desc=Friday;sz=468x60;ord=3756982411362816?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=11%2F08%2F02;desc=Friday;sz=468x60;ord=3756982411362816?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=11%2F08%2F02;desc=Friday;sz=468x60;ord=3756982411362816?" border=0 width="468" height="60"></A></noscript>

Wireless Home

About Us

Advertise

FAQs

Contact Us

Register/Log In

© 2002 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this Web site is subject to its Terms and Conditions of Use
Privacy Policy