Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vote for RCR Wireless News’ person of the year

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:04:16 -0500

Vote for RCR Wireless News’ person of the year
November 27 12:08:00, 2002

It’s time to choose RCR Wireless News’ 2002 Person of the Year. This year, we’ve decided
to let you voice an opinion in this process. Who do you think was the person who most
influenced the industry in 2002? Enter your vote via the poll question near the bottom
left of the home page of RCRNews.com.

There are a number of worthy candidates for this year’s choice. The RCR editorial staff
has selected five. Because this is our award and we need to be able to defend it, the edit
staff still will choose the person of the year. But we thought a popular vote would be
fun, too. And our readers can still influence us. Not everyone on the editorial staff has
voted yet.

We’ll announce the winner later this year. The only rule is that past winners cannot be
nominated. They are: Morgan O’Brien (1993); Reed Hundt (1994); Wayne Schelle and Jay
Bhagat (1995); Irwin Jacobs (1996); George Schmitt (1997); Dan Hesse (1998); Alain
Rossmann (1999); Chris Gent (2000); Allen Salmasi (2001).

Below are this year’s candidates and brief summaries of why they were nominated:

CONFUSED >Judge Catherine Blake, U.S. district judge in Baltimore. She had the power to
turn the industry upside on its ear if she had ruled that a class-action lawsuit alleging
a connection between brain cancer and cell-phone use was allowed to go forward. But after
judiciously looking at the facts, Blake ruled there is no evidence cell-phone use is
linked to brain cancer—a huge win for industry.

OH HELL NO > Tim Donahue, Nextel chief executive. In one word, ARPU. Nextel is the only
carrier to have successfully avoided cut-throat pricing wars that everyone agrees hurt the
industry, but that no one else seems to be able to escape. Nextel also is smart for
holding off on a 3G technology decision and has not had to make the financial investment
that would have accompanied such a choice.

WHO?> Jorma Ollila, Nokia chief executive. Nokia is the one vendor that has weathered the
downturn the most favorably and is actually in a stronger position overall than it was
during the boom times. The vendor has refocused on its handset business as the spending by
operators for infrastructure has dried up. It has increased its handset market share and
with its recent product releases looks to drive replacement handset sales, which is key to
the entire industry for future growth. Although the company’s stock price has dropped
significantly since mid-2002 and it has made profits and sales warnings, it has fared
better than other vendors in the industry, some of which have seen their stock plummet to
less than $1. The company won a major battle this year when Sendo chose its Series 60
handset platform over Microsoft’s platform. Microsoft poses the biggest threat to Nokia,
and Nokia has made major inroads this year in that battle. Also, the company decided to
license its Series 60 platform instead of keeping it proprietary. The company was the
driver behind the Open Mobile Alliance, which has grown to include all major players in
the industry, from content companies to IT companies to Microsoft itself. Its staff size
has gone from a high of 60,000 to 52,400, while its major competitors have tripled that in
numbers of layoffs. While Ericsson is selling R&D units left and right and Lucent is
making more job cuts, Nokia seems to be well focused on future technology and development.

POSSIBLY> John Stanton, T-Mobile USA chief executive. Stanton’s bold decision to integrate
its existing network with 802.11b technology enables the carrier to take advantage of the
past and the future in one swift move. Wireless LAN, no matter its life span, is the wave
of the moment, and the person on top of it deserves the blame or accolade of its fortunes.
Whether it is a transient technology is not material. What is important is that it is the
single most-pervasive technology and investment of the year. It attracted the most money
from venture-capital players. Most carriers and vendors had to tweak their strategies to
accommodate this idea. Some vendors, with the Rainbow Project, are looking to compete with
carriers because they think Wi-Fi has such potential. T-Mobile also has been able to gain
market share in a down year, despite changing its name and its spokeswoman. The carrier
has been innovative in network sharing and embracing data with its HipTop pager launch.

POSSIBLY> Dennis Strigl, Verizon Wireless chief executive. Verizon, the nation’s largest
carrier, is known as a conservative company, and that has served it well this year,
especially in this downtrodden market. In an industry that often drowns in promising too
much, Strigl has been wise to focus on core competencies. Verizon decided against spinning
off its wireless division, which was a good move. ATT Wireless Services Inc.’s stock and
Sprint’s PCS tracking stock have not fared well. It turns out wireless divisions are
better cared for under the strengths of their parents. Verizon also has been cautious in
rolling out 3G services—another prudent decision in a soft economy. Often, trailblazers
are first to fall on the sword. Instead, Strigl has guided Verizon with a steady hand,
concentrating on the basics, like great network coverage. But Strigl hasn’t neglected the
future, either. The carrier put significant money behind a wireless data marketing
campaign. And Verizon should be commended for leading the fight to get re-auction pledges
back from the government, a battle that helped a number of carriers.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
·FREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:07:01 -0500

I wonder how much Timmy paid for this one???

http://www.rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/poll.pl

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG