Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SDR Forum Strengthens its International Focus by Establishing New Relationship with Well-Respected European-Based Research Group

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:50:25 -0500

http://library.northernlight.com/FC20021118740000849.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

SDR Forum Strengthens its International Focus by Establishing New Relationship with Well-Respected European-Based Research Group

NEW HARTFORD, N.Y., Nov 18, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The Software Defined Radio (SDR) Forum, an international wireless industry association, and the Virtual Centre of Excellence in Mobile & Personal Communications (Mobile VCE), an international wireless research organization, announced their commitment to work together in their efforts to develop and promote SDR technologies. The organizations signed a Memorandum of Understanding during the SDR Forum's annual international technology conference and product exposition in San Diego.

Source:

Business Wire

Date:

11/18/2002 09:41

Price:

Free

Document Size:

Short (1 or 2 pages)

Document ID:

FC20021118740000849

Subject(s):

Asia; Business; College; Commercial; Communications; Conference; Consumer; Defense; Environment; Europe; Executive; Hardware; Industrial; London; Market; Marketing; North America; Policy; Public Relations; Radio; Research; Security; Software; Technology; Telecom; Telecommunications; Television; Texas; Web; Wireless

Document Type:

Press releases

SDR Forum Strengthens its International Focus by Establishing New Relationship with Well-Respected European-Based Research Group

Story Filed: Monday, November 18, 2002 9:41 AM EST

NEW HARTFORD, N.Y., Nov 18, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The Software Defined Radio
(SDR) Forum, an international wireless industry association, and the Virtual
Centre of Excellence in Mobile & Personal Communications (Mobile VCE), an
international wireless research organization, announced their commitment to work
together in their efforts to develop and promote SDR technologies. The
organizations signed a Memorandum of Understanding during the SDR Forum's annual
international technology conference and product exposition in San Diego.

This combining of efforts will facilitate joint activities between the SDR Forum
and Mobile VCE relating to research and the development of new SDR technologies,
market/business opportunities, public relations/marketing outreach and special
events support.

"Our new relationship with the Mobile VCE highlights our efforts to continue to
develop international cooperation with organizations that have common interests
in SDR technologies," said Allan Margulies, SDR Forum Chief Operating Officer.
"As the Forum continues to strengthen its global reach and focus, we fully
expect to establish more relationships with other well-respected industry
organizations throughout the world."

Research results on security issues from the Mobile VCE already have been
included in recent Forum submissions to the Federal Communications Commission.
In addition, the SDR Forum will provide support to an upcoming event being
organized by Mobile VCE to develop a European understanding of the regulatory
environment for software defined radios.

"We look forward to working with the Forum in our effort to develop and promote
new SDR technologies," said Walter Tuttlebee, Ph.D., executive director, Mobile
VCE. "Our members are developing innovative concepts and technological solutions
relating to mobile and personal communications. Our relationship with the Forum
will only serve to enhance these efforts."

The FCC has long considered SDR technology as an enabler to better spectrum
management. A year ago, the Commission made specific regulation changes to allow
SDR devices easier access to the commercial marketplace. Most recently, the
FCC's Spectrum Policy Task Force presented recommendations to modernize the
rules that guide how US spectrum is managed and utilized. Among its key
findings, the Task Force reported that: "While technological advances are
contributing to the increased diversity of spectrum-based consumer applications
and greater consumer demand for spectrum-based services, technological advances
such as the increased use of digital technologies and the development of
software-defined radios are providing some potential answers to current spectrum
policy challenges."

About SDR Technology

In SDR, functions traditionally performed by hardware via analog circuits, such
as the generation of the transmitted radio signal and the tuning and detection
of the received radio signal, instead are performed by software residing in
high-speed digital processors. Because these functions are carried out in
software, the radio can be easily programmed to transmit and receive over a wide
range of frequencies using a variety of transmission formats used around the
world. In addition, the operating parameters of a software defined radio can be
easily changed in the field by a simple software change.

SDR provides an efficient and comparatively inexpensive mechanism for the design
and implementation of multi-mode, multi-band, multi-functional wireless devices
that can be enhanced using software upgrades, thus addressing many of the most
challenging issues confronting the wireless industry.

About the Software Defined Radio Forum

The Software Defined Radio Forum is an international industry association
dedicated to supporting the development and deployment of software defined radio
systems that enable flexible and adaptable architectures in advanced wireless
systems. The membership of the SDR Forum spans commercial, defense, and civil
government organizations, and includes wireless service providers, network
operators, component and equipment manufacturers, hardware and software
developers, regulatory agencies, and academia. Presently numbering more than 100
organizations, the SDR Forum's membership includes major commercial wireless
players from Asia, Europe, and North America. The SDR Forum's administrative
office is headquartered in New Hartford, N.Y. Additional information is
available on the SDR Forum Web site at
http://www.sdrforum.org.

About The Virtual Centre of Excellence in Mobile & Personal Communications

Established in 1996, Mobile VCE operates at the interface between the wireless
telecommunications industry and relevant academia. Reflecting the nature of its
industrial members, the vision of Mobile VCE is global and its research
internationally recognized. It is in process of establishing new linkages with
similar research organizations, such as this one in Asia and in North America.
Mobile VCE's membership currently comprise the following companies - BBC, Crown
Castle International, Degree2 Innovations, Fujitsu, Hutchison 3G, Independent
Television Commission, Inmarsat, Lucent, Matsushita, Motorola, NEC, Nortel,
Nokia, NTL, O2, Orange, Philips, the UK's mobile regulator the
Radiocommunications Agency, Samsung, Siemens, SK Telecom, Sony, T-Mobile,
Tality, Texas Instruments, Thales, Toshiba, Vodafone -- and the following
universities -- Bradford, Bristol, Edinburgh, Kings College London, Royal
Holloway College, Southampton, Strathclyde and Surrey.

CONTACT: SDR Forum, New Hartford, N.Y.
Al Margulies, 315/736-2433
[email-masked]
or
Mobile VCE
Dr. Walter Tuttlebee, +44 (0)1256 338604
[email-masked]

URL:
http://www.businesswire.com

Today's News On The Net - Business Wire's full file on the Internet
with Hyperlinks to your home page.

Copyright (C) 2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved.

KEYWORD: NEW YORK DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA UNITED KINGDOM

INDUSTRY KEYWORD: COMPUTERS/ELECTRONICS

HARDWARE

SOFTWARE

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

INTERNET

SOURCE:

SDR

Forum

Copyright © 2002, Business Wire, all rights reserved.

You may now print or save this document.