Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Michigan's statewide 800 MHz System

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 16:22:41 -0500

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Nov 8, 2002 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Shelby Township, Mich.,
has enhanced
communications for its police and fire departments by joining Michigan's statewide 800 MHz
Public Safety Communications
System (MPSCS) designed by Motorola (NYSE: MOT), and by revamping its public safety
dispatch capabilities. The system
is part of Motorola's extensive portfolio of integrated communications and information
solutions to address mission- critical
public safety and security requirements worldwide.

"Updating our township's public safety communications was my number one priority when I
became police chief in 2001,
because our old system was not adequate to cover our rapidly growing township," said
Robert Leman, chief of police for
Shelby Township. "We worked with Motorola to implement the technology we needed to better
serve our citizens by
improving our radio coverage, renovating the dispatch system and providing
interoperability with our statewide system."

Captain Tom Miller, Michigan State Police, noted the cost effectiveness of sharing the
MPSCS. "By joining the statewide
system already in place, Shelby Township has saved significant costs associated with
designing and building their own
communications system," said Captain Miller.

The township spent approximately $700,000 to upgrade its public safety communications
systems. Improvements include
renovation and expansion of the existing dispatch center at police headquarters,
integration with the MPSCS, and purchase of a
four-position Motorola CENTRACOM Gold Series(TM) console for dispatchers, 57 ASTRO XTS
3000(TM) digital
portable radios and 42 ASTRO SPECTRA(R) digital mobile radios for police and fire
departments.

The digital radios will enable Shelby Township police and fire departments to operate on
Michigan's existing statewide
Motorola digital radio communications system. Agencies will collaborate on a plan to use
the system's channels and set up
pre-arranged talk groups, allowing township officials, police and fire departments to
communicate effectively amongst
themselves as well as with the State Police and other system users.

"This technology is an enormous improvement that addresses the safety concerns we had
regarding adequate coverage for
police and fire personnel out in the field," said Chief Leman. "The system also provides
interoperability with other state, federal
and local agencies as they begin to operate on the statewide infrastructure -- an
important feature in receiving mission-critical
information during emergency situations."

The system was chosen for its dependability, said Shelby Township Supervisor Ralph
Maccarone. "As a former law
enforcement officer, I was able to experience firsthand the reliability of Motorola public
safety communications equipment," he
said. "As the chief elected official of our community, it is my responsibility to see that
our citizens are protected by the best
means available. When upgrading to the new 800 MHz technology to support our police, fire
and paramedic communications
services, Motorola was the system of choice because of its longstanding reputation as an
efficient and dependable system to
protect our community."

Working with Motorola also enabled the township to stage and test its new dispatch center
at Motorola headquarters in
Schaumburg, Ill. before going online. Michigan State Police communications division
officers programmed the radios and led a
training program for officers on site. Motorola's local sales and service agent, Mobile
Communication Sales of Roseville,
Mich., led the installation and implementation of the system. The police department went
online in September, and the fire
department will begin using the system later this fall.

Shelby Township, with a population of 65,000, covers 36 square miles, is located in
southeast Michigan, and is in the state's
third largest county, Macomb County. Shelby Township responds to more than 25,000
emergency calls each year.

"We are proud to have played a role in designing and implementing a communications system
that will have a tremendous
impact on the delivery of public-safety services in Shelby Township and throughout
Michigan," said Motorola Communications
& Electronics, Inc. Vice President Bill Ridenour.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/