Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New California Legislation Endorses TIA/ANSI Project 25 Wireless Standards

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 19:31:07 -0500

Standards Update : Public Safety

New California Legislation Endorses TIA/ANSI Project 25 Wireless Standards

On September 29, California Governor Gray Davis signed legislation (AB 2018) requiring a
state board to evaluate public safety wireless communications equipment to recommend the
purchase of communications equipment consistent with the public safety digital
communications standards of TIA and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
These standards are also referred to as Project 25, or Project 25 standards.

TIA and ANSI worked cooperatively to educate appropriate legislative staff and the
governor’s office on the importance of
interoperability, Project 25 standards, and how TIA standards support competitive
procurement.

"In a post-September 11 world, interoperability for public safety land mobile radio
systems is critical to the United States and
California. We applaud ANSI for pulling a team of standards development organizations and
industry representatives together to provide information to the legislative process,"
stated TIA Senior Vice President of Standards and Special Projects Dan Bart.

The legislation

1.Establishes the Public Safety Communications Act of 2002 for the purpose of developing
and implementing a statewide
integrated public safety communications system that facilitates interoperability and other
shared uses of public safety
spectrum

2.Empowers the Public Safety Radio Strategic Planning Committee to assist specified state
agencies in entering into
agreements for interoperability or other shared use of public safety spectrum with a local
agency or other entity that operates
a communications system on public safety spectrum and has capacity and technical ability
for interoperability or other
shared use

3.Directs the Planning Committee to recommend the purchase of communications equipment
consistent with the public safety
digital communications standards of TIA and ANSI. The committee is to report back to the
legislature by January 1, 2004, on
efforts to acquire public safety wireless communications equipment that is compliant with
current TIA and ANSI standards to
assure interoperability.

TIA contributed information to California officials on behalf of its Private Radio Section
and Engineering Committee TR-8 on Mobile and Personal Private Radio Standards.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/