Subject: [mobile-ip] Qustion about Router Advertisement message

From: "Byung-Jin Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:06:12 +0900

Hello.
In mobie IP, a MN know it's movement by getting new Router Advertisement message.
But, router advertisement message is L3 (ICMP) message, isn't it?
To get the router advertisement message L2 links already estiblished? Or without L2 link, a MN can get the router advertisement message?
Anyone who can describe this reply.

Best Regard.

---

From: Brett Pentland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:21:23 +1100

Byung-Jin Lee wrote:
> To get the router advertisement message L2 links already estiblished? 

Yes the L2 link has to be established.  In the absence of any L2
triggering information, the L3 code doesn't know this, and finds out
when a router advertisement arrives.  If the L2 is able to tell the L3
that movement has just happened, then the MN may send a router
solicitation to request that an RA be sent.

> Or without L2 link, a MN can get the router advertisement message?

Brett.