Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Camera memory cards shrink to fit cell phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:13:28 -0500

Camera memory cards shrink to fit cell phones

A reduced-size standard for the MultiMediaCard was approved at the MultiMediaCard
Association's recent membership meeting in Boston, according to Andy Prophet, Executive
Director of the trade organization.

The new Reduced Size MultiMediaCards (RS-MMC) will store data for mobile phones in a form
factor that is approximately one-half the size of the standard MultiMediaCard. The new
cards will be manufactured and marketed by various members of the MMCA with density ranges
of 16/32/64 Mbytes available immediately, expanding to 128 and 256 Mbytes later in 2003.
Both standard and RS-MMCs have seven pins and can be used in existing host platform.
However, the MMCA believes the new RS-MMCs will find most acceptance in next-generation
smart mobile phones.

Dimensions of the reduced size cards are 24x18x1.4 mm, reduced from 24x32x1.4 mm in
existing cards. The reduced size cards are supported by cell phone makers, and compliance
issues have been taken into consideration so that, for example, a card from a cell phone
can be inserted in a digital camera.

According to Gennaro Massa, MultiMediaCard Program Manager at EEMS, "We thought, back in
1999, the MultiMediaCard could be a very good candidate for form factor reduction by
`chopping' the long side of the standard card in half, leaving the silicon portion intact
and reducing the total volume by more than 40 percent. We pursued this even though the
standard card was already the smallest form factor for any memory card. We are very proud
that the MMCA, after serious discussion and evaluation, recently adopted the RS-MMC,
validating the original concept. The first functional samples were produced by EEMS in
August 2001, and we are committed to supplying design, assembly and test services to
interested customers on both card standards."

Posted to the site on 12-Nov-02

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/