Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fire Dept. Tests Radios in High-Rise Drill

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 04:41:11 -0500

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/25/nyregion/25RADI.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

International

National

Washington

Business

Technology

Science

Health

Sports

New York Region

-

The City

-

Columns

Education

Weather

Obituaries

NYT Front Page

Corrections

Editorials/Op-Ed

Readers' Opinions

Arts

Books

Movies

Travel

Dining & Wine

Home & Garden

Fashion & Style

New York Today

Crossword/Games

Cartoons

Magazine

Week in Review

Multimedia/Photos

College

Learning Network

Archive

Classifieds

Book a Trip

Personals

Theater Tickets

NYT Store

NYT Mobile

E-Cards & More

About NYTDigital

Jobs at NYTDigital

Online Media Kit

Our Advertisers

Your Profile

E-Mail Preferences

News Tracker

Premium Account

Site Help

Privacy Policy

Home Delivery

Customer Service

Electronic Edition

Media Kit

Community Affairs

Text Version

Discover New Topics in Depth

Small Business Center: OPEN NetworkSM
tools

Ranked Highest in Satisfaction 3 Times!

25 COMMISSION-FREE TRADES Join Ameritrade today!

Welcome, bullshit

Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

November 25, 2002

Fire Dept. Tests Radios in High-Rise Drill
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Topics

Alerts

Fires and Firemen

Create Your Own | Manage Alerts
Take a Tour

Sign Up for Newsletters

Hats Off to a New Fireboat, 1958

Price: $195. Learn More.

he Fire Department tested new hand-held radios yesterday as part of a drill involving about 100 firefighters in a high-rise, 30 Rockefeller Plaza in Midtown.

To test the radios, which operate on UHF, the department distributed them in Staten Island in August. They are believed to be better at penetrating buildings and are compatible with police radios.

The department "will continue to test them as long as they can to make sure that in the future, if they are implemented, that there is no compromise of firefighters' safety," said Firefighter Jim Long, a department spokesman. "They are still testing. They are not going to implement them citywide until they are satisfied with all tests," he said.

Doing research? Search the archive for more than 500,000 articles:

Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

It's easy to follow the top stories with home delivery of The New York Times newspaper.

Click Here
for 50% off.

Home | Back to New York Region | Search | Corrections | Help | Back to Top

Copyright The New York Times Company | Permissions | Privacy Policy

The latest Mutual Funds Report is now available at NYTimes.com. The Times takes a look at the dismal third quarter, as well as where things may be headed.

Click here to read the report.

Search by Zip Code:

Sign
up for E-Mail Alerts,

Luxury
& Vacation Homes

• Hamptons

• Florida

• Wine Country

• Western States

• More...

Mortgage & Moving
Services

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 05:50:04 -0500

My old office was at "The Rock" on the 18th floor. I use to have
problems hitting local commercial repeaters if I was not by a window.
FDNY picked an excellent bldg. to test UHF penetration in. Not even my
UHF Saber III (on Steroids running 7 watts) could get out from the sub
basements there.

The building is a fully sprinkled Class "A" fire proof building with a
fire tower. Anytime there was a fire it was always contained and knocked
down quickly. I think they might have a high rise repeater system and a
BDA for below grade operation.

I'm sure Steve M. can add some insight.
Steve did ever catch a job there?