Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NY Times Items

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:04:46 -0500 (EST)

TODAY'S HEADLINES
The New York Times on the Web
Monday, November 18, 2002 
---------------------------------------------- 
For news updated throughout the day, visit www.nytimes.com 

QUOTE OF THE DAY 
========================= 
"It's important to remember that cellphones are glorified radios.
They're subject to interference from a lot of things, from building
walls to sunspots to the weather. There will always be a tradeoff
between mobility and call quality." 
-TRAVIS LARSON, a spokesman for the wireless industry's main trade
group. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/technology/18CELL.html?todaysheadlines 

snip

----- 
Investigation Into Fatal Fire at Jail Finds Safety Lapses 
North Carolina inspectors have overhauled safety programs and increased
pressure on local officials to improve their lockups. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/national/18JAIL.html?todaysheadlines 

snip

----- 
Success of Cellphone Industry Hurts Service 
Americans' use of cellphones has increased so quickly that wireless
networks are becoming overloaded.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/technology/18CELL.html?todaysheadlines 

snip

----- 
Businesses, Big and Small, Bet on Wireless Internet Access 
In the wake of the wild boom and bust that followed the emergence of the
Web, some now argue that the wireless Internet is the next frontier. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/technology/18WIFI.html?todaysheadlines 

snip

----- 
Ridge Takes to TV to Describe Terror Threats as 'Nothing New' 
President Bush's domestic security adviser, Tom Ridge, on Sunday played
down the significance of reports of new threats from the Qaeda terrorist
network.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/politics/18RIDG.html?todaysheadlines 

snip

NY REGION 
========================= 
Storm Leaves Thousands of Connecticut Homes Cold, Wet and in the Dark 
Heavy winds left much of northwestern Connecticut without electricity on
Sunday and made roads impassible from downed tree limbs heavy with ice. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/nyregion/18STOR.html?todaysheadlines 

snip

----- 
An Urban Drought
By BOB HERBERT 
The problems that have led to New York City's worst fiscal crisis since
the 1970's are circulating like a virus through cities all across
America. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/opinion/18HERB.html?todaysheadlines

snip

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/