Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Boeing Receives Key European Regulatory Authorizations for Mobile Broadband Data Service

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:16:37 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-18-2002/0001843298&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Boeing Receives Key European Regulatory Authorizations for Mobile Broadband Data Service

Licenses Build on Momentum for Commencement of Commercial Service in 2003

SEATTLE, Nov. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Regulatory agencies from Ireland, Norway,
Denmark, Belgium and The Netherlands have granted authorization for The Boeing
Company (NYSE: BA) to use a range of Ku-band radio frequencies for its
revolutionary Connexion by Boeing(SM) mobile information service.
The authorizations have been granted in support of service demonstrations
with Lufthansa German Airlines and British Airways that will begin in the
first quarter of 2003. The two leading European air carriers are pioneering
the use of broadband connectivity onboard commercial aircraft and will
commence three-month service demonstrations in January and February,
respectively.
Through their market-leading efforts, airline passengers soon will be able
to choose from a multitude of personalized real-time services in flight
including access to high-speed Internet, intranet and e-mail services,
e-commerce, shopping, entertainment content and travel and destination
information on trans-Atlantic flights between Europe and North America.
"We are extremely pleased with the willingness of the regulatory agencies
to authorize the commercial service demonstrations planned for early next
year," said Connexion by Boeing President Scott Carson. "Our regulatory team
has worked extremely hard and we are continuing to garner the licenses and
global regulatory support necessary for the introduction of in-flight
broadband connectivity."
The Connexion by Boeing service for commercial airlines is now less than
three months away following stringent review by government agencies in each
country that has the responsibility for allocating radio frequencies. To
support those efforts, Connexion by Boeing has used a dedicated Boeing 737
aircraft for research, testing, validation and demonstrations to ensure the
service can operate within its allocated spectrum without causing radio
interference with other spectrum users. In a parallel effort, the Connexion
by Boeing regulatory team has worked extensively with countries that are
members of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) for the global
spectrum allocation.
"The support we have received from the ITU-member states has been
gratifying," said Karen Gielen, Connexion by Boeing executive director of
Regulatory Affairs. "They have developed an appreciation for what we're
trying to accomplish and have helped us pave the way for the commencement of
customer demonstrations with Lufthansa and British Airways."
In addition to the passenger connectivity benefits, Connexion by Boeing's
unique broadband service provides airlines with a choice for an e-enablement
framework for commercial aircraft, transforming them into a value-added node
on an airline's global information network, allowing in-flight crews to talk
to the airline operation center and move data simultaneously over multiple
channels when they want, wherever they want. By taking advantage of the
service's unmatched bandwidth, airline personnel can send and receive
information that enhances operational efficiencies on the ground and in the
cabin environment.

About Connexion by Boeing
Connexion by Boeing is a mobile information services provider that is
bringing the fastest available high-speed Internet, data and entertainment
connectivity to aircraft in flight. The service is currently available to the
executive services market in the U.S., which includes operators of private and
government aircraft. In addition to its service demonstrations with Lufthansa
and British Airways, Japan Airlines announced its intent to become the Asian
launch customer and install the Connexion by Boeing service on 10 of its
long-range aircraft serving the Asia-to-Europe routes. For additional
information, visit the Connexion by Boeing web site at
http://www.connexionbyboeing.com .

For further information please contact Terrance Scott, +1-206-655-9350, or
Sean Griffin, +1-206-655-9359, both of Connexion by Boeing.

Click here

SOURCE Connexion by Boeing

Web Site: http://www.connexionbyboeing.com

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.