Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Launches a Smart, Ergonomic, Power-Efficient TETRA Base Station at the TETRA World Congress 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:26:11 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-18-2002/0001842901&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Motorola Launches a Smart, Ergonomic, Power-Efficient TETRA Base Station at the TETRA World Congress 2002

New Base Station Design Reduces Maintenance Costs And Makes Site Acquisition
Easier

NICE, France, Nov. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Motorola (NYSE: MOT) today
launched a smart, ergonomic, power-efficient base transceiver station, called
MBTS. Weighing just 70 Kg, the MBTS is the industry's lightest dual-antenna
eight channel TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) base station and is designed
for Motorola's Dimetra IP system.
The light weight and small size of the MBTS means faster and less
obtrusive site installation which can help infrastructure providers better
address many of the usual steps related to site acquisitions, such as planning
permission. Warm air flows out at the top of the base station through a
natural convection chimney. With no need for fans, the station requires less
maintenance and power due to fewer mechanical components. The base station
meets the growing need among infrastructure providers for lower operating
expenses through greater power efficiency and lower maintenance costs.
Due to its small size, the MBTS, which is enclosed in a cabinet, can
easily be fitted into an outdoor enclosure utilising an air-to-air temperature
exchanger. The MBTS was designed in response to Motorola's research among
project teams in Europe, which revealed that one of the biggest obstacles to
TETRA rollout is site acquisition.
The base station transmits 10 watts of power per carrier signal, which is
sufficient power for most TETRA base station sites. A duplexer in the base
station enables a duplexed transmit and receive function on the same antenna,
which further reduces the required antennas per site. The low transmission
power of the antenna, together with an energy-efficient design, means that the
maximum power needed to run a dual antenna base station is only 350 watts.
Consequently, it is possible to run the MBTS from a main power supply, which
means that no additional un-interruptible power supply unit is needed.
Sys Hansen, Marketing Manager, Dimetra Systems Marketing and Business
Development at Motorola, commented: "This MBTS is designed to meet the growing
trends in the public safety market for smaller cells and portable coverage.
In addition, the small size and light weight of this MBTS will make site
acquisition easier; accelerating the roll-out of TETRA across Europe."
Motorola's Dimetra intellectual property offers a flexible base station
portfolio. This MBTS is expected to be available in Europe in August 2003.

About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in providing integrated
communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2001 were
$30 billion.

About TETRA:
The Airwave service uses TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA), a new open
digital trunked radio standard which is defined by the European
Telecommunications Standardisation Institute (ETSI) to meet the needs of the
most demanding professional mobile radio users.

For more information visit:

-- Motorola TETRA: http://www.motorola.com/tetra
-- TETRA MoU: http://www.tetramou.com
-- Motorola Internet Media Centre: http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter

Photography is available at:
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/graphics/list/0,1099,2-1,00.html

SOURCE Motorola, Inc.

Web Site: http://www.motorola.com/tetra http://www.tetramou.com
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter http://www.motorola.com

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.