Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel, EDS, Sun Offer Secure Wireless Solution to Extend Sun ONE Portal Capabi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:40:18 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021119/192352_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search -

Finance Home -
Yahoo! -
Help

Welcome [Sign In]

To track stocks & more, Register

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.

Nextel, EDS, Sun Offer Secure Wireless Solution to Extend Sun ONE Portal Capability to Nextel Java Technology-Enabled Devices
Tuesday November 19, 9:33 am ET

Companies Align to Develop Wireless Data Solutions for Enterprises

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 19, 2002--
Nextel Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News), EDS and Sun
Microsystems, Inc. today announced a mobile portal solution that
securely extends functionality of the Sun(TM) Open Net Environment
(Sun ONE) platform to Java(TM) technology-enabled Nextel handsets and
wirelessly-enabled devices.

ADVERTISEMENT

This mobile portal solution enables a personalized, customizable
interface to provide an enterprise's employees, customers and partners
with a secure, single point of entry to company information,
applications and services.

Functionality extended to enterprise employees could include
product updates, real-time visibility into sales inventory, sales
force automation, and access to corporate directory and benefits,
anytime, anywhere and on the Nextel National Network and any Nextel
Java(TM) technology-enabled device.

This customizable mobile portal solution illustrates the
extensibility of the Sun ONE Portal Server as a platform for
delivering content and services to enterprise mobile users. The
solution is designed to be quickly implemented by enterprises of
virtually any size and industry, by leveraging the consulting and
integration services of EDS.

"EDS utilizes an open approach to working with clients, so we can
collaborate with others to develop and deliver fully integrated
solutions. In this case, EDS worked with Sun and Nextel to build a
proven portal solution that integrates a Java technology-enabled phone
to solve true business problems," said Michael Hegeman, vice president
of Mobile Applications for EDS Solutions Consulting. "This solution is
just one example of EDS' leadership in developing cutting-edge
mobility solutions for the marketplace."

The mobile portal solution also leverages Nextel's nationwide
packet data network and Java 2 Platform, Micro Edition (J2ME(TM))
technology-based handsets and devices. Last year, Nextel became the
first U.S. wireless carrier to deploy Java technology-enabled
handsets.

The advantages of J2ME technology include persistent memory, rich
graphical user interface, and the ability to run applications in and
out of network coverage.

"This solution brings together Nextel's Wireless Business
Solutions platform to address the real-time business needs of
enterprise customers and their mobile workforces, with the system
integration expertise of EDS and Sun's systems and software platform,"
said Ernie Cormier, Nextel's vice president, Enterprise Solutions. "As
a result of our great relationships with these companies and our
mutual commitment to collaborating on behalf of our customers, we are
able to help enterprises provide secure mobile access to critical
information anytime anywhere over Nextel's nationwide wireless voice
and data network."

"To provide anytime information access, we teamed together to help
enterprises define, design and execute mobile strategies to enable
quicker time-to-market, increase efficiencies and reduce costs," said
Steven Nathan, vice president, Strategic Software Solutions at Sun.
"Powered by Java technology, which is the basis for Sun ONE, this
solution addresses the complete service delivery value-chain from the
back-end infrastructure to the mobile device, making content delivery
better, faster and more profitable. Through our relationship with
Nextel and our "Continuum of Services" alliance with EDS, customers
are provided best-in-class solutions based on choice, leading
technologies and services."

The mobile portal solution will join Sun's growing portfolio of
iForce(SM) solutions, which is comprised of proven, best-in-class
offerings that can be customized and implemented in less time and with
minimal risk. The mobile portal solution is expected to be widely
available to enterprise customers later this year.

For more information, call your Nextel, and EDS sales
representative. A demonstration of the mobile portal solution will be
available at the Nextel Booth #3150 - Level 1 North Hall and Sun
iForce Partner Pavilion booth, #9257 - Central Hall at Comdex.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully-integrated wireless voice and data
communications services including Nextel Direct Connect® --the
long-range digital walkie-talkie feature; high quality digital
cellular services; Nextel Online® wireless data content and business
solutions; and two-way messaging services.

Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc. have built the largest guaranteed
all-digital wireless network covering 197 of the top 200 U.S. markets.
Nextel's wireless voice and packet data communications services are
available today in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240 million
people live or work.

About EDS

EDS, the leading global services company, provides strategy,
implementation, business transformation and operational solutions for
clients managing the business and technology complexities of the
digital economy. EDS brings together the world's best technologies to
address critical client business imperatives.

It helps clients eliminate boundaries, collaborate in new ways,
establish their customers' trust and continuously seek improvement.
EDS, with its subsidiaries, serves the world's leading companies and
governments in 60 countries. EDS reported revenues of $21.5 billion in
2001. The company's stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange
(NYSE:EDS - News) and the London Stock Exchange. Learn more at www.eds.com.

About Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Since its inception in 1982, a singular vision - "The Network Is
The Computer(TM)" -- has propelled Sun Microsystems, Inc.
(Nasdaq:SUNW - News) to its position as a leading provider of
industrial-strength hardware, software and services that make the Net
work. Sun can be found in more than 100 countries and on the World
Wide Web at http://www.sun.com.

Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo, Java, iForce and the Network
is the Computer are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun
Microsystems, Inc., in the United States and other countries.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Inc., Reston
Margaret Brown, 703/433-4904
[email-masked]
or
EDS
Terry Balluck, 972/797-8751
[email-masked]
or
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Courtenay Troxel, 650/786-8278
[email-masked]

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Compare REALTORS® and View Homes!

·

Web hosting. Best quality, 24/7 toll free support. Lowest prices.

·

$8.95 Domain Name Registrations & $7.75 Transfers at GoDaddy.com

·

Make Your PC Faster in Just Five Minutes!

·

Credit Card offers @ eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Hide Your Tracks Download internetwasher.com only $79.95!

·

Find Old Friends at Classmates.com

·

Interest rates won't stay this low forever. Yahoo! Mortgage Center

·

Join Gevalia Kaffe today & Get a Great Gift!

·

Get instant auto insurance quotes now

Related
Quotes

EDS
NXTL
SUNW

14.91
12.74
3.61

+0.01
-0.21
-0.116

News
News
News

View Detailed Quotes
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Belk Selects EDS to Manage Its Telecommunications Environment; Flexible Service Delivery Provides Reliability; Room to Grow at Lower Cost - PR Newswire (11:00 am)

·

Opsware/Guidance: Has 78.3M Shares Outstanding - Dow Jones Business News (10:07 am)

·

[external] Nextel Does Blackberry - at Forbes.com (10:00 am)

·

[external] Giuliani Says: 'Love Me, Love My Company' - at Forbes.com (8:22 am)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computer hardware, Computers, Networking, Software, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Stocks Cut Losses but Stay Negative - Reuters (10:46 am)

·

Big Charge Looming at GE, Analysts Say - Reuters (11:07 am)

·

Energy Costs Boost Consumer Prices in Oct - Reuters (9:00 am)

·

Charter to Restate Earnings Back to 2000 - Reuters (11:12 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright ©
2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy
-
Terms of Service
Copyright
©
2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.