Subject: [NEXTEL-1] `Warchalking'' To Mark Free Wireless Internet Access

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 17:30:49 -0500

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=34216713&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

News

IndustryWatch

Aerospace/Defense

Auto

Aviation

Banking

Business and Finance

Chemicals

Computers

Economy/Markets

Energy

Entertainment

Environment

Food

Government

Healthcare

Insurance

Internet

Metals & Minerals

Real Estate

Retail

Small Business

Telecommunications

- Equipment

- Fiber Optics

- Local Providers

- Long Distance

- Wireless

- Regulations

- Satellite

Transportation

Travel

Utilities

searchIndustryWatch

Markets &
Stocks

Commentary

Technology

Personal Finance

Retirement

Mutual Funds

Money 101

Money's Best

Track your
stocks

Calculators

CNNfn
on TV

Services

CNN.com

CNNSI.com

MONEY
Magazine
Customer
Service

E-MAIL
NEWSLETTERS
sign
up!

MOBILE NEWS
•AvantGo

sign
up!

``Warchalking'' To Mark Free Wireless Internet Access Via Schlotzsky's Deli ``Cool Cloud''; International Chalk Symbol Lets Customers and Community Know Where to Log On

Source: Business Wire

Publication date: 2002-11-08

AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 8, 2002--Schlotzsky's(R) Deli
restaurant patrons and pedestrians will be pondering the sidewalks,
scratching their heads in puzzlement at the chalk marking at their
feet. More than 80,000 college football fans at the UT/Baylor game in
Royal-Memorial Stadium on Saturday, November 9th, will be gazing
upward in wonder at a banner flying with the same mysterious symbol
behind a small plane.

What does it all mean? It's the launch of Schlotzsky's Deli Cool
Cloud(TM) network, and its symbol is the strangely evocative, almost
reverse parentheses -- now appearing on sidewalks outside of 10
Schlotzsky's(R) Deli restaurants in Austin where the Wi-Fi (wireless
fidelity) hotspots can be found and on one particular high-flying
banner.

A pioneer in providing free Internet access to its customers,
Schlotzsky's(R) Deli is taking that service one step further --
extending the Cool Deli(TM) Stations that already offer complimentary
games and access to e-mail and major newspapers to children and adults
who come in for fresh, quick delicious food and providing a wireless
connection for laptop and palmtop users whose computers contain
wireless networking cards (business travelers will really love it).

With nods to the hobo maps of old (when homes were marked as good
for handouts or bad) and the new-millennium trend of war-chalking to
mark free wireless Internet access sites, Schlotzsky's(R) Deli is
using the international symbol to landmark its own non-encrypted
wireless sites at Company-owned restaurants in Austin and in Houston.
(See historical note on "warchalking" below.)

Even before Cool Cloud's official launch on November 9, usage is
exceeding expectation, with the 12 dBi omni-directional wireless
antenna atop the Guadalupe Street Schlotzsky's(R) Deli reaching
hundreds of students at University of Texas at Austin, where wireless
technology guru Ted Rappaport leads the new Wireless Networking and
Communications Group of the College of Engineering and its
multi-million-dollar wireless research program.

"Wireless is the future of connectivity," says UT's Rappaport,
"and Schlotzsky's(R) Deli is a real hotbed of innovation in this area.
Their Cool Cloud(TM) initiative is a great example of wireless
networking technology coming into the mainstream."

Schlotzsky's, Inc. (Nasdaq:BUNZ) president and CEO John Wooley
says, "We are a fun, innovative restaurant company yet again on the
cutting edge of an exciting trend. Free Internet access just makes
sense to us. More important, our customers are telling us they like
it. Their response tells us that this is a good direction for us."

He continues: "Now that we have the signal in our restaurants,
we'd like to share it with the neighborhood and communities where we
operate. We're talking with schools, libraries and community leaders
to find ways to bring free Internet access to people who aren't able
to afford it on their own. A second goal is to help libraries and
community centers continue to be vibrant, positive and education
places."

Because Schlotzsky's(R) Deli Cool Cloud(TM) hotspots are
802.11b-compliant, any similarly compliant Mac or Windows computer
with a wireless networking card should operate on the network. Full T1
Internet connections provided by local Texas.net with software
designed especially for Schlotzsky's(R) Deli are being used so
customers can experience the full potential of the Net. The 10
Austin-area Schlotzsky's(R) Deli restaurants with Cool Cloud(TM)
wireless network hotspots are located as follows:

Its Flagship store on South Lamar Boulevard, just south of Town
Lake;

In the Littlefield Building at Congress Avenue and Sixth Street;

On Guadalupe Street near The University of Texas;

In Sunset Valley on Brodie Lane at State Highway 290;

In Maconda Park at Loop 620 and Highway 183;

On Balcones Woods Drive at Highway 183;

Near Northcross Mall at Anderson Lane and Burnet Road;

At La Frontera at I-35 in Round Rock;

In Cedar Park on Highway 183; and

In the Brodie Oaks Shopping Center on South Lamar Boulevard.

The Schlotzsky's(R) Deli restaurant located in Houston on San
Felipe Street is also a Cool Cloud(TM) hotspot.

History of "warchalking": The hottest sign of the times has a cool
history.

Throughout the 1930's during America's Great Depression, a
loose-knit community of hobos hitched train rides from town to town
seeking the occasional odd job and handouts. Besides their transitory
lifestyle, they had a "language" of their own. Using basic symbols,
they used chalk marks to communicate with other hobos, indicating
everything from unfriendly railroad police to a safe place to crash.
The "free meal" symbol, two half moons, would be chalked on a
storefront, diner or the gate of a home to surreptitiously advertise
the presence of a generous person.

Fast forward to June 2002. London techie Matt Jones came up with a
symbol that could be chalked on pavements and walls to identify a
"hotspot" or place where wireless networks anyone could use to surf
the Internet were accessible. Naming the process "warchalking" and
posting the idea on his website, Jones soon discovered there were
plenty of players ready to roam their cities, locate such spots with
their laptops, and mark the places with two half moons. You'll now see
the free access and other symbols appearing in a growing number of
cities from Seattle and San Jose to Copenhagen. Chalk one up for the
re-emergence of a good idea lost in time!

-------------------------

Schlotzsky's, Inc., founded in Austin, Texas in 1971, is a
franchisor and operator of fast casual restaurants featuring upscale
made-to-order hot sandwiches served on distinctive sourdough bread,
along with sourdough crust pizzas, salads and soups. As of June 30,
2002 there were 671 Schlotzsky's(R) Deli restaurants open and
operating in 38 states, the District of Columbia and nine foreign
countries. Visit www.schlotzskys.com or www.cooldeli.com for more
information and e-coupons.

-------------------------

This news release contains "forward-looking statements," as
defined under the federal securities laws. Forward-looking statements
include those regarding the business plans and prospects of
Schlotzsky's, Inc. (the "Company"). Forward-looking statements reflect
the Company's expectations based on current information. The Company
undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements.
Shareholders and prospective investors are cautioned that actual
future results may be materially different because of various risks
and uncertainties, including but not limited to factors identified in
the Company's Form 10-K under the heading "Risk Factors."

Publication date: 2002-11-08

© 2002, YellowBrix, Inc.

CNNmoney

contact us | magazine
customer service |
site
map | CNN/Money
glossary

OTHER NEWS: CNN | CNNSI | Fortune | Business 2.0 | Time | ON
Copyright © 2002 CNN America, Inc. An AOL Time
Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you. privacy policy

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:10:40 -0800

Hey everyone,

This is YOUR opportunity to show your support of FREE Wi-Fi services
while it still exists.

You may have read where Starbucks has teamed up with another company to
install 802.11 Wi-Fi wireless data coverage aroung their coffee shop,
using public owned 'license free' radio spectrum.

The hitch is Starbucks's will CHARGE you for using thier local Wi-Fi
terminal. This has attracted other for-profit wireless companies. If
left unchecked, these opportunists will eventually ask the FCC for
exclusive rights to YOUR radio spectrum 'to protect their investment'
and YOUR access will be reduced or lost entirely.

Schlotzsky's Deli resturants have taken the opposite and commendable
approach towards providing service to their customers and the public in
general: FREE access to their Wi-Fi terminals and even advertising it at
their expense!

Starbucks and Schlotzsky's are both profit driven businesses but with
very different management attitudes towards thier customers. One is out
to get every dime they can wring out of the public while the other
depends upon the quality of their product and customer service to derive
an honest, earned profit.

We ALL need to show our support of the progressive leadership shown by
Schlotzski's the best way we can:  patronize their resturants and at the
same time let Starbucks know you aren't Daddy Warbucks!
Profits and customer attitudes DO count.

I have no relationship with Schlotzski's or Starbucks except as a
walk-in customer, just like most of you, but I do know when I see
someone doing the right thing they should be rewarded.

Pass the word NOW and save FREE Wi-Fi band and 802.11 access for the
future.

I'm going to Schlotzski's for lunch. See you there.

Jack Daniel
===================================================

Marcel wrote:
>                    ``Warchalking'' To Mark Free Wireless Internet Access
>                    Via Schlotzsky's Deli ``Cool Cloud''; International
>                    Chalk Symbol Lets Customers and Community Know Where to
>                    Log On

>                    Publication date: 2002-11-08
 snip----------------------

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:59:21 -0500

The spectrum is free, use of their internet connection, and any fees they
wish to impose is their business. They are making a business decision, maybe
not a good one, but a free choice decision for them.

Let's not limit their rights. I agree with your "speak with your bucks"
approach.

I would not agree with anything like limiting their right to do it.

Rik Rasmussen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jack Daniel [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2002 5:11 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Check it out, good news. Re: [NEXTEL-1] `Warchalking'' To Mark
> Free Wireless Internet Access
>
>
> Hey everyone,
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:18:32 -0800

I think we are in 99.9% agreement.... up to the point in the future they
want to deny YOU and I free use of unlicensed spectrum.

In a related activity, there has already been a suggestion that a
private group be approved by the FCC as the official 'frequency
coordinator' for Wi-Fi systems. 

(See discussions in these groups where Starbucks and/or T-Mobile tried
to claim corporate squatters rights over another Wi-Fi user with
overlapping coverage in Seattle. I'll try to look up the news release
and re-post it.) 

For unlicensed use frequency coordination to be effective it would
require two new elements:
(1) Some form of user registration, and 
(2) Some inducement to register and penalty if you did not register.

Coordination was proposed by a for-profit company, so somewhere in the
mix is payment for the right to use "free" but coordinated spectrum. I
won't belabor the various ways a profit could be made because there's
too many combinations.

If we don't anticipate the logical result of commercial intrusions into
unlicensed we will repeat one fiasco after another. 

Earthlink's Boingo also needs to be monitored.

I think the best way we can nip this in the bud is by NOT financially
supporting any companies that propose imposing fees for public use of
unlicensed spectrum and to tell everyone we know why.

I sincerely respect your comments and might be unconcerned also if
history was different, but I have grown very wary that MONEY rules
federal spectrum policy and what little spectrum that has not been
bought and warehoused by deep pockets already is in danger of loss to
us. 

But I may be wrong..........
Jack Daniel
===============================================

Rik Rasmussen wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->