Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Headset Class Action Case Hearing Today

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:06:29 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=print_page&articleID=&doc_id=106621

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<<< Back | Print

www.wirelessweek.com

Headset Class Action Case Hearing Today

By Mark Rockwell
November 1, 2002
news@2 direct

WASHINGTON -- U.S. District Judge Catherine Blake, who scotched a major
lawsuit this past summer that threatened wireless carriers with liability in a
cancer suit, was slated to hear oral arguments this morning from lawyers in a
class action suit that seeks similar damages.

The arguments, according to sources close the case, most likely will be
procedural, with little if any evidentiary substance as to the dangers of cell
phones and cancer. Blake most likely will decide if the class-action
cases--which don’t seek damages, but are looking to get cell phone manufacturers
and providers to supply safety items like headsets--can move forward, sources
say. Because the judge basically threw out Newman v. Motorola-in August -- a
more evidence-based case -- she is most likely not going to allow the class
action cases to move forward either, said one wireless-industry source.

Previous Stories:
Illinois Cancer-Related Case Tossed
10/11/02
Judge
Completely Dismisses Cancer Case 10/7/02

<<< Back | Print