Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re:PSWN meeting- Now WHO PAYS? Another Theory From Salomon Smith Barney

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 18:21:49 -0500

Well it looks like another theory of "WHO PAYS"> from Salomon Smith Barney after their
meeting with the FCC.

 "These costs will need to be allocated between the parties involved
in the swap."

"We believe the Commission is waiting on a revised proposal from Nextel to better
understand the costs for relocation, as the private market (rather than government) may
bear the expense of
the swap."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Salomon Smith Barney

800 MHz Spectrum Swap Proposal – The FCC is still very interested in resolving the
interference for public safety operators in the 800 MHz band. We believe the
Commission is waiting on a revised proposal from Nextel to better understand the costs
for relocation, as the private market (rather than government) may bear the expense of
the swap. Nextel has already committed $500 million under its consensus plan, but costs
are likely to be higher. These costs will need to be allocated between the parties
involved
in the swap. Resolution for the swap proposal will take at least until the first quarter
2003.

<SNIP>

>>Don Speights said that NEXTEL expects OTHERS WHO ARE  INTERFERING to PAY $$$ to make up
Nextel's Short Fall-

Contrary to what Morggie has been telling people-

<SNIP>
------- Original Message --------
From: "Stanley Sines" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [800interference] Re: Resolving 800 MHz Interference?
To: <[email-masked]>

Having sat in a meeting with Mr. O'Brien and other Nextel representatives I
can tell you that from what I heard he absolutely expects the federal
government in one way or another to pick up the difference between the 500
million offered by Nextel and the actual cost (1.5 to 2.5 Billion
estimated).  Don't think for a minute he intends anything different.  Nextel
will beg, borrow or steal whatever they think necessary to keep this baby
going!

Al Sines

Concerned Public Safety Communications Professional and one hell of an angry
tax payer!

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Swift, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [800interference] Resolving 800 MHz Interference?
To: <[email-masked]>

I had the pleasure of sitting in on a Nextel sponsored meeting here in Miami-Dade County
Florida.  One of the members of the audience asked how come we (local government) should
pay for Nextel's problem.  Mr. O'Brien assured us there was no problem, since Homeland
Defense funds would likely pick up the balance of any shortfalls.  Now, wait a minute,
aren't Homeland Defense funds made of tax dollars?  Isn't it true that the more Homeland
dollars we spend trying to mitigate the Nextel problems, the less there might be for
anti-terrorist materials?  So, now Nextel wants to raid the funds we use to protect our
taxpayers?  As a taxpayer and, someone who would appreciate some Homeland Defense for my
tax dollars, I sure do hope we continue to make that multimillion dollar company that
reported "record setting" earnings in the third quarter of 2002, be responsible for their
actions.  I wonder, does Mr. O'Brien's funding plan in fact mean that Nextel is actually
admitting they're a terrorist organization and, our Homeland needs to be defended from
them?
Regards,

Jason Swift

A taxpayer, not expressing the opinion of any group or, organization, just his own.
=============================================================