Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Uniden pushes dates back

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:36:56 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: "Glenn Cascino" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Uniden pushes dates back to Januaryonbothscanners

Stan,

Your statement is absolutely correct.  The other companies have to
license the proprietary 3600 bps control channel from Motorola.  The
9600 bps control channel as specified in the P25 Standard (TIA/EIA 102) 
is OPEN and, as I understand it, does not require licensing from
Motorola or anyone else.  This is why Kenwood plans to build only TRUE
P25 compliant trunked radios, that support only the 9600 bps control
channel.  Thanks for the additional info.

Glenn
USBR, Denver

>>> [email-masked] 11/13/02 07:08AM >>>
There are other companies besides just Motorola that make "P-25
Trunking" equipment with a 3600 bps control channel.  This quasi-P25
equipment complies with the requirements for the CAI and uses the IMBE
vocoder, but still use Motorola's standard 3600 bps control channel.

Stan Friskney
Western Area Power Administration
Corporate Services Office
Department of Energy
Lakewood, Colorado
Phone:  720-962-7383
Fax:  720-962-7400
email: [email-masked] 

>>> [email-masked] 11/12/02 11:27AM >>>
Just for clarification, there is no such thing as an APCO P-25 Trunked
System with a 3600 bps control channel.  The P-25 Spec calls for a
9600
bps control channel.  3600 bps systems are proprietary Motorola.

Glenn

>>> [email-masked] 11/08/02 06:02PM >>>
< sigh >  The saga continues, at 
http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/digital-scanner.htm 

Harry

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Speidel, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 22:01:38 -0500

While P25 trunking may be an Open(?) standard, I can assure you that there
is essential IPR covering a 9600 bps control channel.  This requires a
license from the patent holder thereby making anyone who practices the
invention without first obtaining a required license a potential infringer.
Don't forget that anyone who makes, uses or sells the claimed invention
without the authorization of the patent holder is a potential infringer.

Bob Speidel 
M/A-COM Private Radio Systems, Inc. 
Manager, Regulatory Policy 
(434) 385-2465 

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 12:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Uniden pushes dates back

------- Original Message --------
From: "Glenn Cascino" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Uniden pushes dates back to Januaryonbothscanners

Stan,

Glenn
USBR, Denver

Stan Friskney

Glenn

< sigh >  The saga continues, at 
http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/digital-scanner.htm
<http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/digital-scanner.htm>  

Harry

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .