Subject: [mobile-ip] RFC3012bis Resolution: Issue#3

From: "Jayshree Bharatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 12:03:50 -0600

Issue 3 
Section 3.1 doesn't specify what the MN should do when it receives a
STALE_CHALLENGE.  It also doesn't specify whether the MN should extract a
new challenge value from a registration reply which has an error in it.

Proposal:
I am proposing the following text to resolve the above issue. Please note
that use of term PREVIOUSLY_USED_CHALLEGE is still being debated at this
time. So I will make appropriate change to this term upon the agreement.

Existing Text:
(Section 3.1)
A Mobile Node might receive an UNKNOWN_CHALLENGE error (see section 9) if it
moves to a new Foreign Agent that cannot validate the challenge provided in
the Registration Request.  In such instances, the Mobile Node MUST use a new
Challenge value in any new registration, obtained either from an Agent
Advertisement, or from a Challenge extension to the Registration Reply
containing the error.

A Mobile Node that does not include a Challenge when the Mobile-Foreign
Authentication extension is present may receive a MISSING_CHALLENGE (see
section 10) error.  In this case, the foreign agent will not process the
request from the mobile node unless the request contains an unused
Challenge.
A Mobile Node that receives a BAD_AUTHENTICATION Code value (see section 10)
SHOULD include the Mobile-AAA Authentication Extension in the next
Registration Request.  This will make it possible for the Foreign Agent to
use its AAA infrastructure in order to authenticate the Mobile Node.

New Text:
(Section 3.1)
A Mobile Node might receive the following error codes in the Registration
Reply from the Foreign Agent as a response to the Registration Request. The
error codes are defined in section 10.

- UNKNOWN_CHALLENGE: This error code is set by the Mobile Node in the case
where the Mobile Node has moved to a new Foreign Agent that cannot validate
the challenge provided in the Registration Request. In such instances, the
Mobile Node MUST use a new Challenge value in any new registration, obtained
either from an Agent Advertisement, or from a Challenge extension to the
Registration Reply containing the error. 
- MISSING_CHALLENGE: A Mobile Node that does not include a Challenge when
the Mobile-Foreign Authentication extension is present may receive a
MISSING_CHALLENGE error. In this case, the Mobile Node SHOULD send an unused
Challenge extension in the next Registration Request.
- BAD_AUTHENTICATION: A Mobile Node that receives a BAD_AUTHENTICATION Code
value SHOULD include the Mobile-AAA Authentication Extension in the next
Registration Request. This will make it possible for the Foreign Agent to
use its AAA infrastructure in order to authenticate the Mobile Node.
- PREVIOUSLY_USED_CHALLEGE: If the Foreign Agent receives a Registration
Request with a Challenge extension containing a Challenge value previously
used by that mobile node, the Mobile Node MAY receive a Registration Reply
to the mobile node containing the Code value PREVIOUSLY_USED_CHALLENGE.  In
such instances, the Mobile Node MUST use a new Challenge value in next
Registration Request, obtained either from an Agent Advertisement, or from a
Challenge extension to the Registration Reply containing the error.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Jayshree

---

From: "Jayshree Bharatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:19:07 -0600

Hello all,
 
I like to offer further modification to the proposed new text for
BAD_AUTHENTICATION as:
 
BAD_AUTHENTICATION: A Mobile Node that receives a BAD_AUTHENTICATION Code
value SHOULD include the Mobile-AAA Authentication Extension in the next
Registration Request. This will make it possible for the Foreign Agent to
use its AAA infrastructure in order to authenticate the Mobile Node. In this
case, the Mobile Node MUST use a new Challenge value in any new
registration, obtained either from an Agent Advertisement, or from a
Challenge extension to the Registration Reply containing the error.
 
Any Comments?
 
Thanks,
Jayshree

 -----Original Message-----
From: Bharatia, Jayshree [RICH1:2H13:EXCH] 
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2002 12:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]'; 'Charlie Perkins'
Subject: [mobile-ip] RFC3012bis Resolution: Issue#3

Issue 3 

Proposal: 

Existing Text: 
(Section 3.1) 

New Text: 
(Section 3.1) 

Any comments? 

Thanks, 
Jayshree