Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Over 70 million wireless gamers in the US by 2007 - report

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:07:29 -0500

Over 70 million wireless gamers in the US by 2007 - report

According to a new study from IDC, the number of total American unique wireless gamers
will climb from nearly 7 million in 2002 to 71.2 million in 2007.

The development of the U.S. wireless gaming market requires the successful triangulation
of mutually dependent players, including handset providers, wireless carriers, and game
developers and publishers. "Wireless gaming represents tremendous opportunity, but in
order to reach its full potential, there must be cooperation among the three benefactors
to work out key issues such as business models, the handset, and designating the
appropriate content for the target demographics," says IDC's Schelley Olhava, program
manager, Interactive Gaming.

Currently, domestic wireless carriers are pursuing 2.5G and 3G network upgrades to deploy
next-generation wireless services that include wireless data applications. "Wireless games
are a perfect example of the type of content that carriers are looking to offer," says
IDC's Dana Thorat, senior research analyst, Wireless and Mobile Communication. "Gaming is
ready to transition beyond the confines of the home to a truly mobile platform, and the
emergence of next-generation networks and improved handsets make wireless gaming a
reality."

Posted to the site on 18-Nov-02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/