Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Nov. 6, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:19:03 -0500

The holiday spirit is alive: CML Emergency Services has contributed $10,000 to the APCO
Institute, "to further its course offerings for public safety communications
professionals," according to a press release. CML markets public safety software and 911
gear, while the Institute offers training materials and courses to the public safety
communications field. CML president and CEO Jeff Robertson said in the release, "We
believe that providing the best level of technology and the best level of trained
individuals go hand-in-hand when it comes to providing effective emergency response
services." Institute director David Bubb said the contribution will be used to help
further the "innovative use of technology and to enhance our superior offerings." It's the
first such contribution the Hound has heard of.

--------------------------
Tel Control, Inc. announced the recipient of its annual Dispatcher of the Year Award:
Donna McElroy, Telecommunicator for the Terrebonne Parish (La.) Communication District.
TCI said the award, "symbolizes the highest level of achievement within the emergency
response industry," and that McElroy was selected from 15 nominations. She received a
plaque and a $1,000 award during the company's recent users' group meeting. McElroy was
honored for her handling of a wireless 911 call during Mardi Gras--the call was initially
silent, but McElroy then heard the faint voice of a woman crying. Without ANI/ALI
information, McElroy stayed on the line and was able to hear an address spoken by a male
voice. Sheriff's deputies responded and arrested two men who had kidnapped the woman three
days earlier, held her hostage, sexaully assaulted and beat her. The woman was able to
dial 911 on a wireless phone without her captors' knowledge, and tricked one of the men
into speaking the address of the house where she was being held.

--------------------------
Skagit County (Wash.) residents will vote on a sales tax increase, which will be used to
fund their Consolidated 911 Center. Now, the center is funded directly by the cities that
use it with a per-call fee, and a monthly phone line surcharge. The one-tenth of a percent
sales tax increase would raise about $1.8 million a year, and take the place of per-call
fees. Proponents of the ballot measure not that bigger cities now shoulder most of the
comm center budget. Under the new plan, the cost is more evenly spread out among
participating cities and towns.

--------------------------
Long article in the "Virginian Pilot" newspaper on how Hampton Roads area agencies are
working to implement Phase II wireless E911 features:

http://www.pilotonline.com/business/bz1104cel.html

--------------------------
First, Cingular said it wouldn't pursue E-OTD technology for Phase II compliance, and now
Cambridge Positioning Systems, the main E-OTD developer, headlines a press release with,
"New E-OTD Development Delivers FCC E-911 2003 Compliance Today." The Hound is perplexed,
but notes that the company's Nov. 1st press release claims that field trials delivered
accuracy performance of 46m (67% of the time) and 92m (95%), "well within the FCC's
October 2003 requirement of 50m/67% and 150m/95%." Cambridge also said the recent
improvement in accuracy for E-OTD was, "part of major industry push to deliver higher
accuracy." Apparently Cingular is not convinced. Paging...Dale Hatfield.

--------------------------
In Oklahoma, four counties and Healdton city voters faced ballot measures to add or
increase 911 surcharges. Woods County voters voted on two measures: one to fund an upgrade
to Enhanced 911, and the other to fund Phase II service.

================================================

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/