Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News & Analysis 4Mobility - WCDMA 3G Comes To Europe - 1 November 2002]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 20:05:16 -0500

Today's Topics:

1. WCDMA 3G Comes To Europe
2. Wi-Fi A New Battlefront For Cellular Operators
3. Could Sony Ericsson Bring Microsoft Smartphones To Market?
4. Wi-FI Growth Continues And Will Move To The Set-top Box
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WCDMA 3G Comes To Europe

You know what they say about pioneers and arrows. I expect Hutchison to receive a lot of
them. I hope the bloodbath isn't so bad that momentum for 3G in Europe grinds to zero. I
believe Hutchison is going to market before the technology is ready for commercial use.
Hats off to Hutchison for pushing so far uphill.

The News [Image]

3G Finally Staggers Into European Market
By BWCS Staff

Despite the alleged technical glitches and handset supply problems which have caused rival
operators to postpone next generation phone service launches until well into 2003, the
Hong Kongowned mobile company is to begin selling 3G phones and subscriptions in Italy
from next week. Hutchison will start taking orders for 3G handsets via its website in
Italy from the fourth of November. Its UK website will follow suit later in the month. The
phones will start shipping in December.

More @ http://www.bwcs.com/BWCS-News1192.html
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wi-Fi A New Battlefront For Cellular Operators

I guess it isn't real news that wireless operators are lining up behind Wi-Fi as the
technology to compliment their wide area networks in high density locations, but; seeing
the growing support is encouraging. I think we will see a new element of competition
between the operators for mobile professionals and enterprises emerging. Who is going to
have the best bundled wide area and Wi-Fi plan? Who will have Wi-Fi coverage where I need
it? Unlimited Wi-Fi and wide area wireless for $49.99 is sounding attractive---okay,
$99.99 to start, but let's see it at $49.99 sometime within a year.

The News [Image]

Sprint PCS roaming into Wi-Fi
By Ben Charny Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Sprint PCS has begun stitching together a network of wireless "hot spots" to cash in on
the growing popularity of wireless networking, a Sprint PCS executive said. The company
has already signed agreements to let subscribers roam onto a number of different so-called
hot spots--public areas outfitted with wireless networks--then be charged for wireless Web
access on their Sprint PCS bill, according to Wesley Dittmer, the senior director for
wireless LANs (local area networks) at Sprint PCS. Dittmer wasn't specific about when the
service would launch or how much access will cost. He told executives gathered last week
at the Wireless Airport Association meeting in Washington, D.C., that they would see
Sprint get into the Wi-Fi market "soon."

More @ http://news.com.com/2100-1033-964118.html?tag=fd_nbs_commp
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could Sony Ericsson Bring Microsoft Smartphones To Market?

Yes. Sony Ericsson is hurting and apparently will not be profitable next year as
previously predicted. They need help. Microsoft also needs help getting their Smartphone
2002 platform adopted and has lots of money. Microsoft needs big name handset
manufacturers to bring innovative products to market to be successful. Look for a few
mainstream phone makers to support the Microsoft Smartphone 2002 platform. Could Microsoft
give Java and BREW real competition? I think that is the plan.

The News [Image]

Sony Ericsson does not rule out to adopt Microsoft's smartphone operating system
By www.wirelesssoftware.info

Nokia and Sony Ericsson ... maintain that Symbian, whose investors also include Motorola,
Panasonic, Psion and Siemens, remains the most suitable smartphone operating system. They
say they have no immediate plans to adopt Microsofts rival system, although Sony Ericsson
does not rule out doing so in the future.

More @ http://www.wirelesssoftware.info/show1news.php/647.html
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wi-FI Growth Continues And Will Move To The Set-top Box

I believe Wi-Fi, especially 802.11a, will move from PC connectivity to a broader role of
sending all digital data thought the home---everything from telephones to set-top boxes to
TVs and stereos. A powerful set-top box---maybe a PC but more likely a PC specially
configured as high powered TV accessory---will become the hub for digital data in the
home. It will take a few years but it is going to be exciting.

The News [Image]

Will Wi-Fi take over the airwaves?
By Richard Shim Staff Writer, CNET

Products using the 802.11b standard are already being accepted, and products using the
emerging 802.11a standard are finding their way into the homes of early adopters,
according to a study released Monday from In-Stat/MDR. The report projected annual
worldwide shipments of Wi-Fi equipment to reach 33 million units in 2006, up from 6
million expected to ship this year.

More @ http://news.com.com/2100-1033-963574.html?tag=cd_mh