Subject: [mobile-ip] Mipv6 issue #174: Infinite lifetime

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 02:01:03 +0200

Thomas Narten writes:

 > >  Binding Cache.  A value of all one bits (0xffff) indicates
 > >  infinity.
 >
 > Is it wise to allow an infinity value?  Not sure for arbitrary
 > CNs. But I guess its the CN that is chosing...

Per Section 5.2.6, bindings established to CNs with the only mechanism
we have, RR, are limited to MAX_RR_BINDING_LIFE seconds. So for CNs
the infinity value can't even be used. It is mainly intended for HAs.

Recently we discussed in another thread a potential problem with the
Infinity lifetime value (issue #172). However, that problem seems avoidable
as long as one is aware of it.

How useful is the infinity value? I would expect most mobile nodes to
check back regularly, so for them it is not that useful. However, if
at a future time we need mobility for very low bitrate devices
that don't want to send an every-three-days-bu, then its useful.

In conclusion I'd still like to keep the infinity value as it may
have some uses.

Jari