Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Electronics experts aim to provide child security

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:22:12 -0500

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=34283980&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

News

IndustryWatch

Aerospace/Defense

Auto

Aviation

Banking

Business and Finance

Chemicals

Computers

Economy/Markets

Energy

Entertainment

Environment

Food

Government

Healthcare

Insurance

Internet

Metals & Minerals

Real Estate

Retail

Small Business

Telecommunications

- Equipment

- Fiber Optics

- Local Providers

- Long Distance

- Wireless

- Regulations

- Satellite

Transportation

Travel

Utilities

searchIndustryWatch

Markets &
Stocks

Commentary

Technology

Personal Finance

Retirement

Mutual Funds

Money 101

Money's Best

Track your
stocks

Calculators

CNNfn
on TV

Services

CNN.com

CNNSI.com

MONEY
Magazine
Customer
Service

E-MAIL
NEWSLETTERS
sign
up!

MOBILE NEWS
•AvantGo

sign
up!

Electronics experts aim to provide child security

Source: Birmingham Post (UK)

Publication date: 2002-11-11

A security device to prevent adventurous children from wandering
out of sight and into potential danger has been designed by
Staffordshire University.

Electronics specialists at the university have devised the safety
gadget, which enables parents and carers to keep in contact with
their children.

The wireless device can monitor up to 64 children at once to a
range of 70 metres and can be used by creche or nursery staff, as
well as by parents or guardians for their own youngsters.

The Crecheguard was designed at the Midlands Electronics Design
Support Centre and has been built by Shropshire company Planescheme.

A child wears a fob fitted with a tiny transmitter and receiver
which receives a radio signal from the central system.

The fob then answers the base unit and as long as the child is
within range and the base unit receives an answer it will remain
dormant and not go into alarm mode.

Dr Steve Grainger, who heads the Midlands Electronics Design
Support Centre, said the system could even identify which child was
missing if used in a nursery environment with more than one child.

'The project was set up to meet demand for better child security
in areas where a constant vigil by parents or carers is difficult.

'In these times there is always a real risk of child abduction
but the Crecheguard will make sure carers are alerted immediately to
the fact that a child has wandered off - the device can even tell
them which child is missing,' he said.

John Golder, from Planescheme, said the company was initially set
up to service aircraft under contract in Third World countries such
as the Sudan, Ethiopia, Angola, and Papua New Guinea.

But one problem technicians faced was the security of tools and
equipment so the company developed an electronic security device to
protect each individual item.

'This proved very effective and as a development of this
application it took little imagination to extend the technology to
child security,' he added.

Publication date: 2002-11-11

© 2002, YellowBrix, Inc.

CNNmoney

contact us | magazine
customer service |
site
map | CNN/Money
glossary

OTHER NEWS: CNN | CNNSI | Fortune | Business 2.0 | Time | ON
Copyright © 2002 CNN America, Inc. An AOL Time
Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you. privacy policy