Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WCA Files Comments with FCC on NPRM for 71-76, 81-86 and 92-95 GHz Spectrum

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 17:24:50 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-06-2002/0001835836&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

WCA Files Comments with FCC on NPRM for 71-76, 81-86 and 92-95 GHz Spectrum

WASHINGTON, Nov. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- The Wireless Communications Association
International, Inc. (WCA) filed comments on Nov. 1 in response to the Federal
Communications Commission's Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) in which the
Commission seeks to establish new rules permitting commercial broadband
service in "upper millimeter wave" spectrum, i.e., the 71-76, 81-86 and 92-95
GHz bands.
The availability of this spectrum will trigger an unprecedented wave of
innovation in millimeter wave technology, and will pave the way for the
development of new, efficient broadband service in a variety of markets --
both private and government. "The Commission is to be commended for
initiating a proceeding to make these benefits a reality, and we urge the
Commission to complete action in this proceeding by early next year," said WCA
President Andrew Kreig.
As recognized in the NPRM, the unique technical characteristics of these
bands permit more efficient use of spectrum for point-to-point applications,
and could stimulate new applications of radio technology, facilitate
technology transfer from the military sector and create opportunities for
economic growth and jobs. During the discussion and subsequent vote by the
FCC Commissioners on the NPRM this past June, Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy
commented, "with today's Notice, we begin to open a new spectrum frontier for
the American people."
The NPRM was issued in response to a petition filed by WCA member company
Loea Communications Corporation (Loea) on September 10, 2001. Loea has
successfully demonstrated the technology and the capability to communicate at
gigabit per second speeds (the equivalent of over 670 T1 lines) in this
spectrum.
"These blocks of contiguous spectrum will enable communications in the not
too distant future of 10 gigabits per second," said Loea President and CEO
Louis Slaughter. In addition to such speed, the technology as demonstrated
utilizes narrow beams of less than a degree wide. "This creates a new
paradigm in that there is no scarcity of spectrum within any geographic area,"
commented Slaughter. "Both the government and the private sector can co-exist
within the same geographic area."
The comments filed by WCA represent a consensus decision by a broad group
of industry interests. They address questions and technical issues raised in
the NPRM. More specifically, the comments support the concept of
point-to-point licenses without geographic auctions by the FCC, the necessity
to retain contiguous blocks of spectrum to enable high speed communications
and a simple registration scheme, even over the Internet, for filing by
prospective users of the spectrum. This spectrum, along with the proposed
point-to-point licensing, will be complementary to license exempt bands
currently available such as the Wi-Fi bands. "I am confident that the high
speed wireless services and backhaul enabled by this new spectrum will
facilitate significant growth and spread of additional services in license
exempt spectrum," said Kreig.

About the Wireless Communications Association:
WCA is the trade association of the wireless broadband industry. Its
membership includes a wide variety of Commission licensees, system operators,
equipment manufacturers and consultants interested in the domestic deployment
of spectrum for wireless broadband service. WCA (http://www.wcai.com) has
been active in virtually every major Commission proceeding relating to
wireless broadband spectrum, and has assumed a leadership role in the
Commission's ongoing quest to ensure that wireless broadband service is made
available to all Americans in a reasonable and timely manner.

About Loea Communications Corporation
Loea Communications Corporation (http://www.loeacom.com), registered in
Hawaii, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Trex Enterprises Corporation, based in
California. For more than 20 years, Trex has conducted research and
development for the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD). Loea's core technology
is its ultra broadband wireless system based on millimeter-wave component and
subsystem technologies, developed in conjunction with thermal imaging and
sensing systems for the federal government.

Click here

SOURCE Wireless Communications Association International, Inc.

Web Site: http://www.wcai.com http://www.loeacom.com

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.