Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Tech Law Journal Calendar

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 00:32:11 -0500

http://www.techlawjournal.com/home/calendar.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Subscribe to the Tech Law

Journal Daily E-Mail Alert

Tech
Law Journal

News, records, and analysis of
legislation, litigation, and

regulation affecting the computer and Internet industry

Home
| Calendar | Subscribe to Daily E-Mail Alert | Back Issues of E-Mail

Washington Tech Calendar

December |
January | February

Other Washington Calendars

Senate

Calendar of Committee Hearings.

Commerce
Committee Schedule.

Finance Committee Hearings.

Judiciary
Committee Hearings.

Judiciary Committee Mark Ups.

Majority Leader's
Calendar.

Majority
Leader's "Today in the Senate".

House of Representatives

Commerce
Committee Schedule.

Financial Services
Committee.

Gov. Reform
Committee Schedule.

Judiciary
Committee Calendar.

Rules
Committee Schedule.

Science Committee.

Ways & Means
Committee Calendar.

Press Gallery.

Majority
Leader's Calendar.

Majority
Leader's "Floor Report".

Republican
"Whip Notice".

Democratic Whip's
Calendar.

Agencies

FTC Calendar.

USITC
Calendar.

Judiciary

District Court (DC)
hearing schedule.

Court of Appeals (DCCir)
oral
argument schedule.

Court of Appeals (FedCir)
oral argument schedule.

Supreme Court calendars.

Miscellaneous

National Press Club
Calendar.

Federal Communications Bar Assoc.

GWU's DC
Techlaw Calendar.

Links last checked on November
11,
2002.

Tuesday, November 12.

The House will meet at 12:30 PM for morning hour, and at 2:00 PM for
legislative business. The House will consider a number of measures under
suspension of the rules. No recorded votes are expected. The House is
scheduled to consider
HR 3394,
the Cyber Security Research and Development Act. See, Whip Notice.

The Senate will meet at 1:00 PM.

9:00 AM - 6:30 PM. Day one of a two day conference titled "W3C Workshop on the Future
of P3P". The topic is the the World Wide Web
Consortium's (W3C) Platform for Privacy
Preferences Project (P3P). See,
agenda. See also,
links to copies of submitted papers. Location: Dulles, Virginia
campus of America Online, Seriff Auditorium, Creative Center 2, America Online
Dulles campus; enter the campus at Creative Center 3 (CC3), 22110 Pacific
Blvd, Dulles, VA.

CANCELLED? 9:30 AM. The
U.S. Court of Appeals
(DCCir) will hear oral argument in Z Tel Communications v. FCC, No.
01-1461. This is a challenge to the FCC's order approving Verizon's Section
271 application to provide in region interLATA service in the state of
Pennsylvania. Judges Ginsburg, Edwards and Garland will preside. Location: 333
Constitution Ave., NW.

10:00 AM. The Supreme Court
will hear oral argument in Moseley v. V. Secret Catalogue, No.
01-1015. This is a trademark case in
which the issue is whether the plaintiff in a lawsuit for violation of
the Federal Trademark Dilution Act (FTDA) must show actual economic loss. See,
story titled "Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in Trademark Case" in
TLJ Daily E-Mail
Alert No. 416, April 16, 2002, and story titled "INTA Files Amicus Brief
in Trademark Dilution Case" in
TLJ Daily E-Mail
Alert No. 501, September 4, 2002. See, also
International Trademark Association's (INTA)
amicus curiae brief
[39 pages in PDF], and Intellectual Property
Owners Association (IPO)
amicus
curiae brief [18 pages in PDF]. Oral argument begins at 10:00 AM, and this
is the second case on the list. Location: One First Street, NE,

10:40 AM. Treasury Secretary
Paul O’Neill will
give a speech to the Fortune Global Forum. Location: The Ritz-Carlton,
Salon 3, 1150 22nd Street, NW.

11:30 AM - 1:00 PM. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will give a lecture on
the technology industry following the U.S. District Court's approval of the
settlement in the government's antitrust action against Microsoft. He will
also address Microsoft's plans. Webcast. Press contact: Sarah Gegenheimer at
202 337-0808. See, Brookings
notice and

MSFT notice. Location: Falk Auditorium,
Brookings Institution, 1775
Massachusetts Avenue, NW.

3:30 - 4:30 PM. The Heritage Foundation will host an address by
Rep. Jim Ryun (R-KS)
titled "Reforming Congress for a Safer Homeland: The Need for Congressional
Committee Reorganization". Location: 214 Massachusetts Ave., NE.

6:00 - 8:00 PM. The

FCBA will host a CLE seminar titled "FCC Winter Preview". The panelists
will include Donald Abelson (Chief of the FCC's International Bureau), Thomas
Sugrue (Chief of the FCC's Wireless Telecommunications Bureau), Kenneth Feree
(Chief of the FCC's Media Bureau), and William Maher (Chief of the FCC's
Wireline Competition Bureau), and Bryan Tramont (Senior Legal Advisor to FCC
Chairman Michael Powell). Location: Sidley Austin, Conference room 6-E.

Wednesday, November 13.

The House will meet at 10:00 AM.

9:00 AM - 5:30 PM. Day two of a two day conference titled "W3C Workshop on the Future
of P3P". The topic is the the World Wide Web
Consortium's (W3C) Platform for Privacy
Preferences Project (P3P). See,
agenda. See also,
links to copies of submitted papers. Location: Dulles, Virginia
campus of America Online, Seriff Auditorium, Creative Center 2, America Online
Dulles campus; enter the campus at Creative Center 3 (CC3), 22110 Pacific
Blvd, Dulles, VA.

9:00 AM. Day one of a two day meeting of Information Systems Technical
Advisory Committee (ISTAC) of the Commerce Department's
Bureau of Industry and Security
(formerly known as the Bureau of Export Administration). The ISTAC advises the
BIS on technical questions that affect the level of export controls applicable
to information systems equipment and technology. The meeting will be partly
open, and partly closed. The agenda for the open portion of the meeting
includes a presentation on China's high performance computing market and a
presentation on semiconductor manufacturing trends. The agenda for the closed
portion of the meeting is secret. See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 22, 2002, Vol. 67, No. 204, at
Page 64868. Location:  Room 3884, Hoover Building, 14th Street between
Pennsylvania and Constitution Avenues, NW.

12:00 NOON - 1:30 PM. The National
Telecommunications Cooperative Association (NTCA) will host a press
luncheon to unveil the NTCA's legislative initiatives for 2003. Contact Donna
Taylor at 703 351-2086 or [email-masked]
no later than Tuesday, November 12. Location:
National Press Club, 529 14th Street, NW.

12:15 PM. The

FCBA's Mass Media Practice Committee will host a brown bag lunch. The
topic will be radio issues. The speakers will be Peter Doyle (Chief of the
FCC's Audio Division) and other FCC staff. RSVP to Barry Umansky at 202
263-4128 or [email-masked].
Location: National Association of Broadcasters, 1771 N St., NW, 1st floor
conference room.

6:00 PM. The Center for Democracy and Technology
(CDT), Truste, and Privastaff
will host a book signing and wine and cheese reception for Ann Cavoukian,
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario and co-author of The
Privacy Payoff: How Successful Business Build Customer Trust. For more
information, contact LuJuan Brooks at 202 637-9800 or
[email-masked]. Location:
National
Press Club, 529 14th St. NW, 13th Floor.

Highlights of Cato Conference

Telecom and Broadband Policy After the Market Meltdown

(November 14)

8:30 AM. Opening by Adam Thierer and Wayne Crews.

8:40 AM. Keynote: Rep. Billy
Tauzin (R-LA), Chairman of the House Commerce Committee (invited).

9:30 AM. Panel titled "The Telecom Market Meltdown: Causes and
Consequences". The speakers will be Larry Darby (Darby Associates),
Robert Gensler (T. Rowe Price), Anton Wahlman (Needham & Co.), and John
Wohlstetter (Discovery Institute).

10:45 AM - 12:00 NOON. Panel titled "What Vision Will Govern
Broadband? Deregulation, Open Access, or Structural Separation?" The
speakers will be Wayne Crews (Cato), Peter Jew (Optical Solutions),
James Glassman (American Enterprise
Institute), John Ryan (RHK Telecommunications Industry Analysis),
Robert Crandall (Brookings), Fred Smith (Competitive Enterprise
Institute).

12:45 PM. Lunch Keynote:
Kathleen Abernathy
(FCC Commissioner).

1:15 - 2:30 PM. Panel titled "The Future of Spectrum Governance:
Property Rights or a Spectrum Commons?" The Speakers will be Adam
Thierer (Cato), Yochai Benkler (NYU School of Law), David Reed (Systems
Designer and Researcher), Thomas Hazlett (Manhattan Institute), Gerald
Faulhaber (University of Pennsylvania), and Rudy Baca (Precursor Group).

Thursday, November 14.

The House will meet at 10:00 AM.

The Cato Institute will host a day long
conference titled "Telecom and Broadband Policy After the Market Meltdown".
See, notice.
Webcast. Location: Cato, 1000 Massachusetts Ave., NW.

Day one of a three day conference of the Federalist Society.
At 1:45 - 3:15 PM there will be a panel titled "Privacy in the
Post-September 11 World".
The speakers will be Viet Dinh (DOJ), Lino Graglia (University of Texas School of Law), Robert Levy
(Cato), Barry Steinhardt (ACLU), George Terwilliger
(White & Case), and Judge Edith Clement (Court of Appeals, 5th
Circuit). At 3:50 - 5:20 PM there will be a panel titled "Telecommunications
Group: Privacy, Telecommunications, and Technology: Does
Emerging Technology Force New Privacy Considerations?" The speakers
will be Kathleen Abernathy
(FCC
Commissioner), Stewart Baker (Steptoe & Johnson), Jerry Berman
(CDT),
Reid Cox (Center for Individual Freedom), James Harper
(privacilla.org), and Judge Stephen Williams
(Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit). See, schedule
and online registration
page. Location: Mayflower Hotel, 1127 Connecticut Ave., NW.

TIME? Day one of a two day conference hosted by
Cellular Telecommunications and Internet
Association (CTIA) titled "Homeland Security Critical Issues Forum". Its
subject matter will include network security and reliability, physical and
cyber security, network vulnerabilities, and how other critical
infrastructures may impact CMRS networks. The event is closed to the public.
At 12:30 PM Dick Clarke, Special Advisor to the President for
Cyberspace Security and Chairman of the President’s Critical Infrastructure
Protection Board, will speak. A
CTIA
release states that "Only lunch sessions are open to the media.
Credentials required for admittance." For more information, contact Kimberly
Kuo at 202 736-3202 or [email-masked].
Location: Omni Shoreham Hotel, Empire Ball Room, 2500 Calvert Street, NW.

8:30 - 9:30 AM. The
High Tech Broadband Coalition (HTBC)
will host a press briefing breakfast regarding its participation in the FCC's
proceedings pertaining to regulatory treatment of high speed Internet access.
The HTBC wants the FCC to relax regulatory restraints imposed on incumbent
local exchange carriers (ILECs) in the roll out of high speed Internet access.
The participants will include E. Van Cullens (Westell), Jim Hjartarson
(Catena Networks), Michael Norris (NextLevel
Communications), Gregory Jones (Texas Instruments),
Jerry Fiddler (Wind River Systems), George Nolan (Siemens), George Brunt
(Alcatel), Doug Clark (ADC), Matt Flanigan (TIA), and Gary Shapiro
(Consumer
Electronics Association). Press contact: Jeri Clausing (BSA) at (202 530-5127 or
[email-masked]. Location: National
Association of Manufacturers, 1331 Pennsylvania Ave., Suite 600, NW. Enter
off F St. between 13th & 14th Streets.

9:00 AM. Day two of a two day meeting of Information Systems Technical
Advisory Committee (ISTAC) of the Commerce Department's
Bureau of Industry and Security
(formerly known as the Bureau of Export Administration). The ISTAC advises the
BIS on technical questions that affect the level of export controls applicable
to information systems equipment and technology. The meeting will be partly
open, and partly closed. The agenda for the open portion of the meeting
includes a presentation on China's high performance computing market and a
presentation on semiconductor manufacturing trends. The agenda for the closed
portion of the meeting is secret. See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 22, 2002, Vol. 67, No. 204, at
Page 64868. Location: Room 3884, Hoover Building, 14th Street between
Pennsylvania and Constitution Ave., NW.

10:00 AM. The Senate Judiciary
Committee will hold a business meeting. Location: Room 226, Dirksen
Building.

12:00 NOON. Deputy Treasury Secretary
Kenneth Dam will
give a speech to the Tax Foundation 65th National Conference. Location: Four
Seasons Hotel, 2800 Pennsylvania, Ave., NW.

2:00 PM. The Senate Judiciary
Committee's Subcommittee on on Technology, Terrorism, and Government
Information will hold a hearing titled "America Still Unprepared -- America
Still in Danger: The October 2002 Hart -- Rudman Terrorism Task Force Report".
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) will
preside. Location: Room 226, Dirksen Building.

Friday, November 15.

Day two of a three day conference of the
Federalist Society. At 1:30 - 3:00 PM
there will be a panel titled "Corporations, Securities and Antitrust Group: Competition and Regulatory
Federalism". The speakers will be Timothy Muris (FTC Chairman), Hewitt Pate (Antitrust
Division), and Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain (Court of Appeals, 9th
Circuit). At 3:15 - 4:45 PM there will be a panel titled "Financial Services and Electronic Commerce Group: The USA PATRIOT Act,
Homeland Security, and the Financial Services Industry". The speakers will
be David Aufhauser, General Counsel, U.S. Department of Treasury), Andrew Cochran
(House Financial Services Committee), John Pickering (Balch & Bingham), James Rockett
(McCutchen, Doyle, Brown & Enerson), Mary Beth Buchanan (U.S. Attorney, Western District of Pennsylvania). See, schedule
and online registration
page. Location: Mayflower Hotel, 1127 Connecticut Ave., NW.

9:00 AM - 3:30 PM. EntrepreneurPR will host an event titled "Small Business
Intellectual Property Conference". The scheduled speakers include Sharon Marsh
(Administrator for Trademark Policy and Procedure, USPTO) and Michael See (Small Business Administration).
The price to attend is $125. The
notice states that there are "no fees for members of the media or
government staff". Location: Room 311, Cannon House Office Building.

TIME? Day two of a two day conference hosted by
Cellular Telecommunications and Internet
Association (CTIA) titled "Homeland Security Critical Issues Forum". Its
subject matter will include network security and reliability, physical and
cyber security, network vulnerabilities, and how other critical
infrastructures may impact CMRS networks. The event is closed to the public.
At 12:30 PM, Nancy Wong, Deputy Director, National Outreach and Awareness,
Critical Infrastructure Assurance Office (CIAO), will speak. A
CTIA
release states that "Only lunch sessions are open to the media.
Credentials required for admittance." For more information, contact Kimberly
Kuo at 202 736-3202 or [email-masked].
Location: Omni Shoreham Hotel, Empire Ball Room, 2500 Calvert Street, NW.

CANCELLED: TO BE DECIDED WITHOUT ORAL ARGUMENT.
9:30 AM. The U.S. Court of Appeals
(DCCir) will hear oral argument in Aerco Broadcast Corp v. FCC, No.
01-1466. Judges Sentelle, Henderson and Silberman will preside. Location:
Courtroom 20, 333 Constitution Ave., NW.

Monday, November 18.

7:00 AM - 2:00 PM. The Information
Technology Association of America (ITAA), Northern Virginia Technology
Council, Business Software Alliance (BSA),
and others, will host a conference titled "Technology and Homeland Security: A
Symposium with Public Sector CIOs". The speakers include
Rep. Tom Davis
(R-VA), Steve Cooper (CIO of the Office of Homeland Security), and
Mark Everson (Office of Management and Budget). The price to attend is $65. To
register, or for more information, contact Michael Kerr at
[email-masked]. Location: The Ritz Carlton Tysons Corner,
1700 Tysons Boulevard, McLean, VA.

Deadline to submit comments to the President's Critical Infrastructure
Protection Board regarding the document titled "National
Strategy to Secure Cyberspace", which was released on September 18.
For more information, contact Tommy Cabe at 202 456-5420. See,

notice in the Federal Register.

Tuesday, November 19.

9:30 AM - 12:00 PM. The Department of
State's (DOS) Office of the Coordinator for International Communications
and Information Policy will host a public meeting to receive comments
regarding the role of International Mobile Satellite Organization (IMSO) with
respect to the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS),
aeronautical safety services, and service to rural and remote areas of
developing countries, including

the principle and the legal methodology of a possible extension or expansion
of IMSO's mandate. See,

notice in the Federal Register . For more information, contact Brian Hunt
at 202 647-5832 or huntbj @state.gov.
Location: DOS, 2201 C Street NW.

12:15 PM. The

FCBA's Common Carrier Committee will host a brown bag lunch. The speakers
will be the FCC Commissioners' wireline competition advisors. Location:
Willkie Farr & Gallagher, 1875 K Street,
2nd Floor, NY Conference Room.

5:30 - 6:45 PM.
Richard Posner, Judge of the
U.S. Court of Appeals (7thCir), will give a lecture titled "The Political
Economy of Intellectual Property Law" at an
AEI-Brookings Joint Center event. A
wine and cheese reception will follow at 6:45 PM. See,
online registration page.
Location: AEI, Wohlstetter Conference Center, 12th Floor, 1150 17th Street,
NW.

6:00 - 8:00 PM. The

FCBA will host a CLE seminar titled "The FCC’s Triennial Review of
Unbundled Network Elements: How Significant are UNE-P and other UNEs to Local
Competition?" Registrations and cancellations due by 5:00 PM on November 15.
Location: Dow Lohnes & Albertson, Suite 800, 1200 New Hampshire Avenue, NW.

Deadline to submit reply comments to the FCC
regarding its request to refresh its record regarding customer proprietary
network information (CPNI) implications when a carrier goes out of
business, sells all or part of its customer base, or seeks bankruptcy
protection. This is the FCC's Third Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in
CC Docket Nos. 96-115, 96-149 and 00-257. See,

notice in the Federal Register.

Deadline to submit applications for planning and construction grants to
the

NTIA for public television facilities under the Public Telecommunications
Facilities Program (PTFP). See,

notice in the Federal Register.

Wednesday, November 20.

8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. The Commerce Department's
Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS)
will host a one seminar titled "Essentials of Export Controls". It will cover
compliance with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). The price to
attend is $150. See,
BIS
notice. For more information, contact Yvette Springer at 202 482-6031.
Location: Grand Hyatt Washington, 1000 H. Street, NW.

12:00 NOON. The

FCBA's Transactional Practice Committee will host a brown bag lunch on the
Sarbannes Oxley Act. RSVP to Donna Farber at
[email-masked]. Location:
Latham & Watkins, Lincoln Square Bldg., Suite
1000, 555 Eleventh St., NW.

12:30 PM. The

FCBA will host a luncheon. The speaker will be NFL Commissioner Paul
Tagliabue. The price is $45 for members,
$35 for government & law student members, and $55 for non-members.
Registrations and cancellations are due by 5:00 PM on November 15. For
more information, call 202 293-4000. Location: JW Marriott Hotel, 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.

Thursday, November 21.

8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. The Commerce Department's
Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS)
will host a seminar titled "Technology Export Controls". It will cover
compliance with the U.S. export and reexport controls relating to technology,
software and encryption. The price to attend is $150. See,
BIS
notice. For more information, contact Yvette Springer at 202 482-6031.
Location: Grand Hyatt Washington, 1000 H. Street, NW.

12:15 PM. The

FCBA's Global Telecommunications Development Committee and International
Practice Committee will host a brown bag lunch. The topic will be "Financing
Telecom Projects in Developing Countries: The Role of OPIC, Export Import
Bank, and the International Finance Corporation (IFC)". The speakers will be
Roger Cohen (Export Import Bank), Brian Christaldi (OPIC), and Jean-Francois
Dupuy (IFC). For more information, contact Janet Hernandez at 202 736-1814.
RSVP to Julie Ilett at [email-masked]
or 202 736-1819. Location: Coudert Brothers, 1627 Eye St., NW, 11th floor.

12:15 PM. The

FCBA's Cable Practice Committee will host a brown bag lunch. The speakers
will be John Wong and Michael Lance (Division Chief and Deputy Division Chief
of the FCC Media Bureau's Engineering Division). For more information call
Lisa Cordell at 202 939-7934. RSVP to Wendy Parish at
wendy @fcba.org. Location: NCTA, 1724
Massachusetts Ave., NW.

3:00 PM. Uma
Suthersanen will speak on "Copyright and Human Rights in Europe". She
is a Senior Research Fellow at the Queen
Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute in London. For more
information, contact Robert Brauneis at
[email-masked] or 202
994-6138. Location: Faculty Conference Center, 5th Floor of Burns, George
Washington University Law School, 2000 H Street, NW.

6:30 - 10:00 PM. The

FCBA will host a charity auction. For more information, contact Heidi
Kurtz (FCBA) at 202 293-4000. Admission is free, and it is open to the public.
The event features a live auction, silent auctions, raffles, hours d’oeuvres
and a cash bar. Location: Capitol
Hilton Hotel, 16th and K Streets, NW.

Friday, November 22.

Deadline to submit comments to the
FCC
regarding its

report [110 pages in PDF] titled "Measured Emissions Data For Use In
Evaluating The Ultra-Wideband (UWB) Emissions Limits in the Frequency Bands
Used By The Global Positioning System". See also, FCC

public notice [3 pages in PDF]. The report was prepared by Stephen Jones
of the FCC's Office of Engineering and
Technology. He can be contacted at 301 362-2054 or
SKJones @fcc.gov. This is ET Docket No.
98-153.

Deadline to submit comments to the The
FCC
in response to its requests for comments regarding whether to revise, clarify
or adopt any additional rules in order to more effectively carry out
Congress's directives in the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA).
See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 8, 2002, Vol. 67, No. 195, at
Pages 62667 - 62681.

Deadline to submit a request to participate in roundtable meetings hosted
by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
regarding small business views on foreign patent challenges. The USPTO
is seeking comments, and holding roundtable meetings, pursuant to a
recommendation contained in a General Accounting
Office (GAO) report
[PDF] titled "Federal Action Needed to Help Small Businesses Address Foreign
Patent Challenges". This report was released on August 22, 2002. See also,
story titled "GAO Reports Foreign Patent Challenges Facing Small Businesses"
in TLJ Daily
E-Mail Alert No. 497, August 23, 2002. See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 28, 2002, Vol. 67, No.208, at
Pages 65786 - 65787.

Monday, November 25.

Deadline to submit comments to the The
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
regarding the product recall notices exception to the Electronic Signatures in
Global and National Commerce (E-SIGN) Act. The Act provides, at §101, for the
acceptance of electronic signatures in interstate commerce, with certain
enumerated exceptions. §103 of the Act provides that "The provisions of
section 101 shall not apply to ... (2) any notice of ... (D) recall of a
product, or material failure of a product, that risks endangering health or
safety". The Act also requires the NTIA to review, evaluate and report to
Congress on each of the exceptions. See,

notice in the Federal Register.

Tuesday, November 26.

2:00 - 4:00 PM. The Bureau of Industry
and Security's (BIS) National Infrastructure Advisory Council (NIAC) will
hold a partly open, and partly closed, meeting. The NIAC advises the President
on the security of
information systems for critical infrastructure supporting other sectors of
the economy, including banking and finance, transportation, energy,
manufacturing, and emergency government services. The agenda of this meeting
includes deliberation regarding comments received on the draft document
titled "National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace". (Comments were due by
November 18.) The scheduled speakers include Richard Davidson (Director of NIAC), Richard Clarke,
and Kenneth
Juster (Director of BIS). For more information contact Eric Werner at 202
482-7470. See,
notice in the
federal register. Location: Truman Room, White House
Conference Center, 726 Jackson Place, NW.,

Thursday, November 28.

Thanksgiving Day. The FCC will be closed.

Friday, November 29.

Deadline to submit comments to the Commerce Department's
Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS),
formerly known as the Bureau of Export Administration (BXA), in response to
its request for comments on its foreign policy based export controls set forth
in the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). This pertains to, among other
things, high performance computers and encryption products. See,

notice in the Federal Register, September 27, 2002, Vol. 67, No. 188, at
Pages 61047 - 61049.

December

Monday, December 2.

10:00 AM. The U.S. Court of Appeals (FedCir)
will hear oral argument in Altiris v. Symantec, No. 02-1137. This is an
appeal from the U.S. District Court
(CDUtah) in a patent infringement case involving Altiris'

U.S. Patent No. 5,764,593, which describes a technology for remotely
controlling the boot process of a computer to permit network administrators to
automatically gain control. The District Court granted summary judgment to
Symantec. This is D.C. No. 2:99CV-1007ST. Symantec's counsel is
Robert
Fram at Heller Ehrman. Location:
Courtroom 203, 717 Madison Place, NW.

6:30 - 8:00 PM. The

FCBA's International Practice Committee will host a reception to meet
Southeast Europe telecom regulators. RSVP to
[email-masked].
Location: Hilton Hotel Embassy Row, 2015 Massachusetts Ave., NW.

Deadline to submit comments to the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) in
response to its request for comment on the domestic and family law documents
exception to the E-SIGN Act. See,

notice in the Federal Register.

DEADLINE EXTENDED. Deadline to submit comments to the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) in its third biennial review of its
broadcast ownership rules pursuant to § 202 of the Telecommunications Act of
1996. The FCC seeks comments on the national television multiple ownership
rule, the local television multiple ownership rule, the radio television cross
ownership rule, and the dual network rule. The FCC announced this Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) at its meeting on September 12. See, story titled
"FCC Announces Broad Review of Media Ownership Rules" in
TLJ Daily E-Mail
Alert No. 509, September 16, 2002. The FCC released the text of this NPRM
on September 23. See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 28, 2002, Vol. 67, No. 208, at
Pages 65751 - 65776. This is MB Docket No. 02-277.

Deadline to submit comments to the Federal Communications Commission's
(FCC) Wireline Competition Bureau (WCB)
regarding AT&T's
October 15 Petition for Rulemaking to Reform Regulation of Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier
Rates for Interstate Special Access Services [118 pages in PDF]. This is RM No. 10593.

Deadline to submit comments to the National Institute of
Standards and Technology (NIST) regarding its draft publication
[16 pages in PDF] titled "Recommendation
for Block Cipher Modes of Operation: the RMAC Authentication Mode". This is
NIST Special Publication 800-38B (draft). It was written by Morris Dworkin
in the NIST's Information Technology Laboratory's
Computer Security Division. Send comments to [email-masked].

Wednesday, December 4.

10:00 AM. The U.S. Court of Appeals (FedCir)
will hear oral argument in Bell Communications Research v. Fore Systems,
No. 02-1083. This is appeal from the U.S. District Court (DDel) in a patent
infringement case involving ATM/SONET technology. Bell Communications Research
(aka Bellcore) filed a complaint against Fore Systems (aka Marconi Systems).
Fore's counsel is Fish & Richardson.
Location: Courtroom 203, 717 Madison Place, NW.

10:00 AM. The U.S. Court of Appeals (FedCir)
will hear oral argument in Storage Technology v. Cisco, No. 02-1232.
This is a patent infringement case involving communication networks. Location:
Courtroom 203, 717 Madison Place, NW.

10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. The
FCC's
Technological Advisory Council will meet. See,
notice in the Federal
Register. For more information, contact Jeffery Goldthorp at 202 418-1096 or
[email-masked]. Location: FCC, Room TW-C305, 445 12th St. SW.

12:00 NOON - 2:00 PM. The DC Bar Association will host a panel discussion
titled "Victor/Victoria: The ``Secret´´ to Proving Dilution". The panel
will discuss the case Moseley v. V Secret Catalogue (which is pending before the
Supreme Court) and the Federal Trademark Dilution Act. The speakers will be John Whealan (amicus
USPTO), Jonathan Hudis (Oblon
Spivak, for amicus AIPLA), and Jeremy Maltby
(O’Melveny & Myers, for Victoria's Secret). The price to attend is $30 for IP Section
members,
$35 for other DC Bar members, $40 for the public, and free for people with a GWU law school ID.
For more information, contact Maureen Britti at
[email-masked] or 202-626-3463, or
Robert Brauneis at [email-masked]. Location: George Washington University
Law School, Moot Court Room, 2000 H Street, NW.

Thursday, December 5.

9:30 AM. The U.S. Court of Appeals
(DCCir) will hear oral argument in Sprint v. FCC, No. 01-1266.
Judges Ginsburg, Rogers and Tatel will preside. Location: 333 Constitution
Ave., NW.

10:00 AM. The U.S. Court of Appeals (FedCir)
will hear oral argument in Resonate v. Alteon Websytems, No. 02-1201.
Resonate filed its complaint in
U.S. District Court (NDCal)
against Alteon Websystems, which has since been acquired by
Nortel Networks, alleging infringement of

U.S. Patent No. 5,774,660, titled "World Wide Web Server With Delayed
Resource Binding For Resource Based Load Balancing On A Distributed Resource
Multi Node Network". The District Court issued a a claim construction ruling
adverse to Resonate. Location: Courtroom 402, 717 Madison Place, NW.

10:00 AM. The U.S. Court of Appeals (FedCir)
will hear oral argument in Intel v. Via Technologies, No. 02-1212.
Location: Courtroom 201, 717 Madison Place, NW.

2:30 - 5:15 PM. The Department of Commerce's (DOC) Central & East European
Business Information Center (CEEBIC) will host a briefing and reception. The
speakers will be visiting regulators and officials. For more information,
contact Jennifer Gothard (CEEBIC) at 202 482-2645 or
[email-masked].

Friday, December 6.

10:00 AM. The U.S. Court of Appeals (FedCir)
will hear oral argument in Apex Computer v. Raritan, No. 02-1303. This
is an appeal from the U.S. District Court
(SDNY) in a patent infringement
case. Location: Courtroom 201, 717 Madison Place, NW.

10:00 AM - 1:00 PM. The
FCC's
Network Reliability and Interoperability Council will hold a meeting. For more
information, contact Jeffery Goldthorp at 202 418-1096 or
[email-masked]. See,
notice in the Federal
Register. Location: FCC, Room TW-C305, 445 12th St. SW.

6:30 - 9:00 PM. The National Press Club
(NPC) will host a panel discussion and reception titled "The State of
Cybersecurity". The speakers will be Tim Belcher (Riptech), Richard Forno
(Shadowlogic), Declan McCullagh (reporter), and Mark Rasch (Predictive
Systems). The price is $10. To make reservations, contact 202 662-7501 or
[email-masked]. Location: NPC, 529
14th St., NW.

Extended deadline to submit comments to the
FCC
in response to its

Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) [15 pages in PDF] in its proceeding
titled "In the Matter of Digital Broadcast Copy Protection". This NPRM
proposes that the FCC promulgate a broadcast flag rule, and seeks comment on
this, and related questions. This is MB Docket No. 02-230. See also,

FCC release [PDF] and

Order [PDF] of October 11, 2002 extending deadlines.

Monday, December 9.

2:00 PM. The Information Technology
Association of America (ITAA) will host a web cast event titled "Protecting
Intellectual Property in Federal Government Contract Procurements". The
speaker will be
Diana Richard of the law firm of
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher. See,
online
registration page. For more information, contact Thomas Vincent at
[email-masked].

Deadline to submit reply comments to the FCC in response to its requests for
comments regarding whether to revise, clarify or adopt any additional rules in
order to more effectively carry out Congress's directives in the Telephone
Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA). See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 8, 2002, Vol. 67, No. 195, at
Pages 62667 - 62681.

Tuesday, December 10.

Deadline to submit comments to the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
regarding the wills, codicils, and testamentary trusts exception to the E-SIGN
Act. The Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce (E-SIGN) Act
provides, at Section 101, for the acceptance of electronic signatures in
interstate commerce, with certain enumerated exceptions. Section 103 of the
Act provides that "The provisions of section 101 shall not apply to ... a
State statute, regulation, or other rule of law governing the creation and
execution of wills, codicils, or testamentary trusts". The Act also requires
the NTIA to review, evaluate and report to Congress on each of the exceptions.
See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 11, 2002, Vol. 67, No. 198, at
Pages 63379 - 63381.

Wednesday, December 11.

9:30 AM. The
FCC
will hold a meeting. Location: FCC, 445 12th Street, SW, Room TW-C05
(Commission Meeting Room).

Thursday, December 12.

The

FCBA will host its annual Chairman's Dinner. See,
registration form [PDF].
Location: Washington Hilton and Towers.

Day one of a two day conference hosted by the Practicing Law Institute and
the

FCBA titled "Telecommunications Policy and Regulation". At 12:15 PM
FCC
Commissioner Kevin
Martin will deliver a keynote address. Location: Reagan International
Trade Center.

Friday, December 13.

Day two of a two day conference hosted by the Practicing Law Institute and
the

FCBA titled "Telecommunications Policy and Regulation". Location: Reagan
International Trade Center.

EXTENDED TO JANUARY 17. Deadline to
submit reply comments to the
FCC
in response to its

Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) [15 pages in PDF] in its proceeding
titled "In the Matter of Digital Broadcast Copy Protection". This NPRM
proposes that the FCC promulgate a broadcast flag rule, and seeks comment on
this, and related questions. This is MB Docket No. 02-230. See also,

FCC release [PDF] and

Order [PDF] of October 11, 2002 extending deadlines.

Monday, December 16.

The Supreme Court will be in recess from December 16 through January 12.

Deadline to submit comments to the National Institute of
Standards and Technology (NIST) regarding its draft publication
[90 pages in PDF] file titled "Security Metrics Guide for Information Technology
Systems". This is NIST Special Publication 800-55. It was written by
Marianne Swanson, Nadya Bartol, John Saboto, and Joan Hash in the NIST's
Information Technology Laboratory's Computer Security Division. Send comments to

[email-masked].

Thursday, December 19.

Deadline for the
FCC
to rule on SBC's Section 271 application
with the FCC to provide in region interLATA service in the state of
California. This is WC Docket No. 02-306. See,

FCC notice [PDF].

Deadline for the
FCC
to rule on BellSouth's Section 271
application with the FCC to provide in region interLATA service in the states
of Florida and Tennessee. This is WC Docket No. 02-307. See,

FCC notice [PDF].

Tentative date for a roundtable meeting hosted by the
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
regarding small business views on foreign patent challenges. This
roundtable, along with two others in Los Angeles and Chicago, are being held
pursuant to a recommendation contained in a
General Accounting Office (GAO)
report [PDF] titled
"Federal Action Needed to Help Small Businesses Address Foreign Patent
Challenges". This report was released on August 22, 2002. See also, story
titled "GAO Reports Foreign Patent Challenges Facing Small Businesses" in
TLJ Daily E-Mail
Alert No. 497, August 23, 2002. December 19 is also the deadline to submit
written comments. See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 28, 2002, Vol. 67, No.208, at
Pages 65786 - 65787.

Monday, December 23.

Deadline to submit reply comments to the Federal Communications Commission's
(FCC) Wireline Competition Bureau (WCB)
regarding AT&T's
October 15 Petition for Rulemaking to Reform Regulation of Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier
Rates for Interstate Special Access Services [118 pages in PDF]. This is RM No. 10593.

Wednesday, December 25.

Christmas.

January 2003

Thursday, January 2.

DEADLINE EXTENDED. Deadline to submit reply comments to the
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in its third biennial review of
its broadcast ownership rules pursuant to § 202 of the
Telecommunications Act of 1996. The FCC seeks comments on the national
television multiple ownership rule, the local television multiple ownership
rule, the radio television cross ownership rule, and the dual network rule.
The FCC announced this Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) at its meeting on
September 12. See, story titled "FCC Announces Broad Review of Media Ownership
Rules" in TLJ
Daily E-Mail Alert No. 509, September 16, 2002. The FCC released the text
of this NPRM on September 23. See,

notice in the Federal Register, October 28, 2002, Vol. 67, No. 208, at
Pages 65751 - 65776. This is MB Docket No. 02-277.

Monday, January 13.

The Supreme Court will return from the recess that it began on December
16.

Thursday, January 16.

9:30 AM. The Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) will hold a meeting. Location: FCC, 445 12th Street, SW,
Room TW-C05 (Commission Meeting Room).

Friday, January 17.

Extended deadline to submit reply comments to the
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in
response to its

Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) [15 pages in PDF] in its proceeding
titled "In the Matter of Digital Broadcast Copy Protection". This NPRM
proposes that the FCC promulgate a broadcast flag rule, and seeks comment on
this, and related questions. This is MB Docket No. 02-230. See also,

FCC release [PDF] and

Order [PDF] of October 11, 2002 extending deadlines.

January 27.

The Supreme Court will be in recess from January 27 through February 23.

January 31.

Deadline to submit comments to the National Institute of
Standards and Technology (NIST) regarding its
draft publication
[78 pages in PDF] titled "Guidelines for the Security Certification and
Accreditation of Federal Information Technology Systems". This is NIST Special Publication 800-37. It was written by Ron
Ross and Marianne Swanson in the NIST's Information Technology Laboratory's
Computer Security Division, with input from others.
Send comments to [email-masked].

February 2003

Thursday, February 13.

9:30 AM. The Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) will hold a meeting. Location: FCC, 445 12th Street, SW,
Room TW-C05 (Commission Meeting Room).

February 26.

Day one of a three day conference titled "Third Annual Privacy Summit"
hosted by the International
Association of Privacy Officers.

March 2003

March 4-6.

Three day conference titled "Securing Your Cyber Frontier Through
Awareness, Training and Education" hosted by the
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the
Federal
Information Systems Security Educators' Association (FISSEA). See,
conference web site. Location: The Hilton Hotel, 8727 Colesville Road, Silver
Spring, MD.

Thursday, March 13.

9:30 AM. The Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) will hold a meeting. Location: FCC, 445 12th Street, SW,
Room TW-C05 (Commission Meeting Room).

April 2003

Thursday, April 16.

9:30 AM. The Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) will hold a meeting. Location: FCC, 445 12th Street, SW,
Room TW-C05 (Commission Meeting Room).

April 30.

The
FCC
will hold Auction No. 46. This is the 1670-1675 MHz band auction. It had
previously been scheduled for October 30, 2002. See,

notice of postponement in Federal Register, October 10, 2002, Vol. 67, No.
197, at Pages 63095 - 63096.

Locations of Events

American Enterprise Institute (AEI). Twelfth floor, 1150 Seventeenth
St., NW, Washington DC. The nearest Metro stops are Farragut North and Farragut
West. .

Cato Institute. 1000 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC. The
nearest Metro stop is Metro Center.

Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The FCC is located at 445
12th St., SW., Washington DC. Most public events at the FCC are held in the
Commission Meeting Room, Room TW-C305, which is on the ground floor just beyond
the front entrance. Security checks can cause delays. The nearest Metro stop is
Smithsonian.

Federal Trade Commission (FTC). 600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington
DC. Most public events are in the Commission Meeting Room, Room 432.

House Commerce Committee (HCC). Most meetings of the HCC and its
subcommittees are held in Room 2123 of the Rayburn House Office Building, on
Capitol Hill, in Washington DC. Some meetings are held in Room 2322. The nearest
Metro stop is Capitol South. .

House Judiciary Committee (HJC). Most meetings of the HJC and its
subcommittees are held in Room 2141 of the Rayburn House Office Building, on
Capitol Hill, in Washington DC. Some meetings are held in Rooms several others
rooms. The nearest Metro stop is Capitol South. .

National Press Club (NPC). The NPC is located at 529 14th St. NW, 13th
Floor, Washington DC. The nearest Metro stop is Metro Center.

Senate Commerce Committee (SCC). All meetings of the SCC and its
subcommittees are held in Room 253 of the Russell Senate Office Building. The
nearest Metro stop is Union Station. .

Senate Judiciary Committee (SJC). Most meetings of the SJC and its
subcommittees are held in Room 226 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building. The
nearest Metro stop is Union Station. .

U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. The D.C. Circuit
is located at 333 Constitution Ave. NW, Washington DC. The closest Metro stop is
Judiciary Square.

U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. The Federal Circuit is
located on the east side of LaFayette Square, at 717 Madison Place, NW,
Washington DC. The nearest Metro stops are Farragut North and Farragut West.

FAQ | Feedback
| Notices & Disclaimers | Privacy Policy

Copyright 1998-2002 David Carney, dba Tech Law Journal. All rights
reserved.

Phone: 202-364-8882. P.O. Box  4851, Washington DC, 20008.