Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEXTEL/NHL 'Donate a Phone Campaign' to Benefit Hockey Fights Cancer

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:53:14 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021121/212228_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search -

Finance Home -
Yahoo! -
Help

Welcome [Sign In]

To track stocks & more, Register

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications

NEXTEL/NHL 'Donate a Phone Campaign' to Benefit Hockey Fights Cancer
Thursday November 21, 8:58 am ET

Detroit Red Wings Fans Asked to Participate

DETROIT--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 21, 2002--

All-Star Challenge Offers Hockeytown Fans a Chance to Win $250,000 in

National Shootout Competition; Local Winners to Compete for Right to
Face Tampa Bay Goalie Nikolai Khabibulin at NHL All-Star Game in South

Florida

ADVERTISEMENT

Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: NXTL - News) and the National Hockey
League (NHL) recently announced the launch of the Nextel/NHL Donate a
Phone Campaign to benefit Hockey Fights Cancer, and the Nextel/NHL
All-Star Challenge, a national shootout competition to take place in
11 NHL team markets, including Detroit.

Donate a Phone to Benefit Hockey Fights Cancer

Nextel has partnered with the Wireless Foundation and Central
Transport to announce its Donate A Phone program. Detroit Red Wing
fans are asked to recycle their old, no longer used wireless phones on
four "Nextel Nights" at Joe Louis Arena or at many participating
Retail Store locations over the next three months.

Any portable cellular or PCS phone is accepted, excluding bag
phones or vehicle-installed models. Nextel will also take the phones'
battery or charger, if available. Collection dates will occur at
Detroit Red Wing games on Monday, November 25, Sunday, December 8,
Monday, January 13, 2003 and Sunday, January 19, 2002.

For each phone collected, funds will be donated to the NHL's
non-profit organization, Hockey Fights Cancer. Collections begin in
November at Nextel Retail Stores in each team market, and will last
through January 2003. Results of the Donate a Phone program will be
announced during the All-Star Game events in February.

"The primary goal of the Donate a Phone Program is to collect
wireless phones that consumers aren't using to provide additional
funding for Hockey Fights Cancer," said Michael Robichaud, director of
sports and event marketing for Nextel Communications. "With more than
30 million used phones lying idle in American homes and businesses,
this is an opportunity for our customers to help support a worthy
charity and at the same time, provides an environmentally sound
disposal of unused phones."

"We are proud to donate transportation services in partnership
with Nextel and the Wireless Foundation in their efforts to help
Hockey Fights Cancer," said Mike Lorenz, president of Central
Transport.

Donate a Phone is a part of the Cellular Telecommunications and
Internet Association (CTIA) Wireless Foundation's national campaign
which collects wireless phones that are no longer being used by
consumers. In partnership with both industry and civic organizations,
Donate a Phone generates funding for a variety of charitable efforts
at local and national levels.

A Chance to Win $250,000

Red Wing fans are also invited to sign up for the opportunity to
test their shooting accuracy during one of four shootouts that will
take place at Joe Louis Arena. Winners advance to a fourth night of
competition to determine a local winner, who receives an all-expenses
paid trip for two to the 2003 NHL All-Star Weekend in Sunrise,
Florida. There, they will compete against 13 other contestants from
around the country. The winner will shoot against Tampa Bay Lightning
star goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin between periods at the NHL All-Star
Game on Sunday, Feb. 2, 2003, for a chance to win $250,000. Hockey
great Phil Esposito will announce and provide coaching to contestants
during many of the local competitions.

Locally, the competition kicks off prior to the Detroit Red Wings
morning skate, at Joe Louis Arena, on Monday, November 25 at 9:15 a.m.
Additional "Nextel Nights" will be held on Sunday, December 8, Monday,
January 13, 2003 and Sunday, January 19, 2002.

Three additional winners will be selected through a sweepstakes at
Nextel retailers and on NHL.com.

Other participating teams are: Buffalo Sabres, Colorado Avalanche,
Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators, New York
Rangers, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning, and
Washington Capitals.

"We're very excited to announce this national competition working
closely with our club partners, such as the Detroit Red Wings, and the
NHL," said Robichaud. "We're continuing to enhance our partnership
with the NHL, supported by the enthusiastic involvement of Phil
Esposito and Nikolai Khabibulin. This is a unique way to reach our
customers, since this is the first time a consumer has competed
against a professional athlete in an NHL promotion."

How to Enter

Entries are available at participating Nextel Retail store
locations nationwide, as well as team arenas and participating Nextel
Authorized Representatives. Fans can also enter and obtain official
rules by logging on to www.nhl.com/nextel or www.detroitredwings.com.
No purchase is necessary and entries can be submitted through December
30, 2002.

About Hockey Fights Cancer

Hockey Fights Cancer is a joint charitable initiative founded in
December 1998 by the National Hockey League and NHL Players'
Association and supported by NHL Member Clubs, NHL Alumni, the NHL
Officials' Association, Professional Hockey Athletic Trainers and
Equipment Managers, corporate marketing partners, broadcast partners
and fans throughout North America. Hockey Fights Cancer is committed
to raising money and awareness for hockey's most important fight. Over
the last five years, more than $5 million has been raised. Fans are
encouraged to join the fight by calling 1-800-540-6500 or logging on
to www.hockeyfightscancer.com.

About CTIA Wireless Foundation

The Wireless Foundation supports programs that address some of our
country's greatest challenges through creative applications of
wireless technology. For additional information on the Wireless
Foundation, please visit www.wirelessfoundation.org.

About Central Transport

The Central Transport® brand, marketed by Central Transport
International, Inc., is a major less-than-truckload (LTL) service
reaching across most of North America. The company, based in suburban
Detroit, is part of a group of transportation-related companies owned
by privately held CenTra, Inc., which Forbes ranks among the largest
500 private companies in America. For more information, visit
www.centraltransportint.com.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 197
of the top 200 U.S. markets. Through recent market launches, Nextel
and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the U.S.
where approximately 240 million people live or work.

Contact:

Nextel Communications
Arianne Venuso, 630/816-0216
or
Detroit Red Wings
Anne Marie Krappmann, 313/396-7539

Source:
Nextel Communications
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Make Your PC Faster in Just Five Minutes!

·

Credit Card offers @ eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

CyberTrader unveils lower commissions.

·

Join Gevalia Kaffe today & Get a Great Gift!

·

Hide Your Tracks Download internetwasher.com only $79.95!

·

Compare REALTORS® and View Homes!

·

$8.95 Domain Name Registrations & $7.75 Transfers at GoDaddy.com

·

Paying too much for insurance? Find out

·

Interest rates won't stay this low forever. Yahoo! Mortgage Center

·

Web hosting. Best quality, 24/7 toll free support. Lowest prices.

Related
Quote

NXTL

14.531

+0.811

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

[external] Stocks gain; Qwest leaps again - at CBS MarketWatch (10:15 am)

·

NEXTEL COMMUNICATIONS INC Financials - EDGAR Online Financials (6:00 am)

·

The Beauty of Budgeting for Outsourced CRM - NewsFactor (Tue Nov 19)

·

[external] Nextel Does Blackberry - at Forbes.com (Tue Nov 19)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Internet, Networking, Publishing, Sports, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Stocks Rally on H-P, Jobless Data - Reuters (11:31 am)

·

Jobless Claims Fall in Latest Week - Reuters (9:19 am)

·

Retailers Post Solid Profits - Reuters (10:48 am)

·

GE Cuts Outlook, Shares Rise - Reuters (11:30 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright ©
2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy
-
Terms of Service
Copyright
©
2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.