Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News & Analysis 4Mobility - 15 November 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:34:49 -0500

Today's Topics:

1. Metrics Shaping The Wireless Industry---Growth No Longer Voice
2. PDA Price War Around The Corner
3. Qualcomm Goes GSM/GPRS and UMTS
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metrics Shaping The Wireless Industry---Growth No Longer Voice

While overall growth slows to a crawl, the industry focus will shift to services beyond
voice. Both picture mail and gaming are expected to be hot. In a year I expect we will be
reporting on the number of pictures sent over cellular networks and the hot games that are
driving wireless data usage. We are on the cusp of a huge change.

The News [Image]

Wireless customer growth slows
By Katherine Reynolds Lewis Bloomberg News Service

The U.S. wireless telephone industry boosted customers by 4.8 percent in the first six
months of 2002, the slowest rate ever, according to an industry survey.

More @ http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Nov/12/bz/bz13a.html

IDC Study Identifies Next Wave of Digital Camera Buyers

Digital still cameras remain hot with consumers eager to instantly capture and view lifes
precious moments. According to a recent IDC survey of more than 1,000 U.S. consumers, 28%
of respondents intend to purchase a digital still camera within the next twelve months.

More @
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jhtml;jsessionid=QAISKGOHBET0MCTFA4FSFEYKMUDYUIWD?containerId=pr2002_11_01_152853

U.S. Wireless Game Market Emerges -- Three Industries Playing to Win, IDC Says

The U.S. wireless gaming market is emerging as a viable long-term opportunity for game
developers and publishers, wireless carriers, and wireless handset providers. According to
a new study from IDC, U.S. Wireless Gaming Forecast, 2002-2007, the number of total U.S.
unique wireless gamers will climb from nearly 7.0 million in 2002 to 71.2 million in 2007.

 More @
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jhtml;jsessionid=QAISKGOHBET0MCTFA4FSFEYKMUDYUIWD?containerId=pr2002_10_23_165455

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDA Price War Around The Corner

This is going to be exciting. We have the ViewSonic product and rumored Dell Pocket PC
PDAs at around $200. Price points of sub $200 will to drive the market. Now, how low will
Samsung drive the price down with its announcement below? Except for wireless devices, it
looks like the high-end for PDAs will be at $200 next year with low-end product well under
$100. There is still no news about low-cost wireless PDA/communicators but I expect that
within a year we will see some exciting new price points.

The News [Image]

Microsoft extends hand on low-cost PDAs
By Richard Shim Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Microsoft and Samsung on Monday announced they have teamed up to develop a design for
low-cost handhelds, a market dominated by rival Palm. Devices based on the design will use
Microsoft's Pocket PC software and Samsung's 200MHz ARM9-based S3C2410 application
processor and will have 32MB of memory. The design also calls for a 3.5-inch color or
black-and-white display, Secure Digital and SDIO support, and a petite
4.1-inch-by-2.8-inch, 2.9-ounce case.

More @ http://news.com.com/2100-1040-965291.html?tag=cd_mh
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qualcomm Goes GSM/GPRS and UMTS

Qualcomm plans on being one of the top leaders in delivering UMTS (WCDMA) chips. They are
going after the combination GSM/GPRS/CDMA market. This is where they appear to be the
leader and may keep that position.

The News [Image]

Qualcomm goes global with new GSM chip
By Ben Charny Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Available by the middle of 2003, the MSM6500 processor represents Qualcomm's latest push
to sell mobile phones that are based on the world's most widespread wireless standard, GSM
(Global System for Mobile Communications). Qualcomm said upcoming cell phones that use the
new processors will be able to use networks based on GSM and CDMA, as well as a faster
version of CDMA called CDMA2000 1xEV-DO. The company's MSM6200 chipset, introduced earlier
this year, combines GSM technology with yet another GSM-compatible standard, called
wideband-CDMA.