Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Eight TDMA networks switch to CDMA

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 03:21:27 -0500

Eight TDMA networks switch to CDMA

The CDMA Development Group (CDG) has said that eight TDMA operators in
Asia and the Americas have migrated to or are deploying CDMA2000
networks. The CDG's executive director, Perry LaForge, commented: "TDMA
operators find themselves at a critical juncture. Faced with swapping
out their networks for a stronger evolutionary path, these carriers must
be sure that the decisions they make today will maximize their return on
investment in the future. The CDMA2000 path provides a technically and
economically optimal solution, especially for TDMA operators in Latin
America, the majority of which use 800 MHz spectrum."

CDMA2000 increases the capacity of TDMA networks by four to six times,
and since CDMA2000 uses the same ANSI-41 core network as TDMA, there are
substantial cost savings for operators and service transparency for
end-users. CDMA2000 800 MHz infrastructure has been deployed around the
world for over two years, and currently more than 100 800MHz CDMA
devices are supplied by 10 manufacturers.

Today, there are 26 commercial CDMA2000 networks around the world and 20
more will be deployed in coming months. Former TDMA operators who have
migrated to CDMA include: Bell Mobility, BellSouth International
Ecuador, BellSouth International Panama, Movilnet, Telecom Mobile Ltd.,
U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico and Western Wireless.

 Posted to the site on 26-Nov-02

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/