Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Nov. 22, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:14:46 -0500

It doesn't get any newer than this--the Los Angeles Police Department went live with Phase
1 and 2 of its new downtown comm center, a twin site of a center in the San Fernando
Valley (2004 completion). Radio dispatching is still being done at the old center, but
will move to the new site in early December. A new Printrak CAD system will go live early
next year. The linked centers are using Plant Equipment's Inc.'s VESTA software to handle
incoming telephone calls, MagIC for call-data management, and VESTA-View for real-time
call-flow management. The centers are designed to handle heavy call loads, and will even
roll calls over to the second center if needed. They're also designed with redundancy in
mind for natural, and not-so-natural, disasters.

--------------------------
EFJ continues to bank federal agency radio contracts, this time with the Department of the
Interior for Project 25-compliant gear. The contract is one of those "firm, fixed-priced,
multiple-award, indefinite quantity, indefinite delivery" types for one year, with another
four years option. 

--------------------------
According to a press release, the Franklin County (Ohio) Sheriff’s Office has begun live
operation of EmergiTech Inc.'s INTERCad software. The FCSO has about 800 employees, covers
540 miles, and along with Columbus and suburban agencies, serves a populations of over 1
million. The company says the implementation of CAD completes the first phase of a project
that will ultimately include law enforcement records management, in-field reporting,
mobile data and automatic vehicle location.

--------------------------
Speaking of live, smallish Scott County (Ind.) is now live with Phase II for its Verizon
wireless subscribers, proving that good things <can> come to small places: the county's
population is 23,000.

--------------------------
Good news! A New York Times survey found that 74% of job seekers would consider a
government job. Among those who said "yes," 53% had a preference for federal level jobs,
33% for local-level and 29% for state-level jobs.

--------------------------
Jay County (Ind.) signed an agreement to purchase efiniti mobile and Dispatch Watchdog,
which provide mapping for Phase II wireless E911. The software was developed by Plexis
Group, and should be operational within 90 days, the county said.

--------------------------
Atlantic County (NJ) is installing a $6 million M/A-Com public safety radio system that
will be used by the county and local agencies. The county first investigated centralized
dispatching and radio, but politics and "local control" issues killed the dispatching
portion, leaving just the radio project. Oddly, Atlantic City chose an incompatible
Motorola trunked system for their public safety agencies and casinos.

--------------------------
The City of Irvine (Calif.) has awarded Intergraph Public Safety (IPS) a $1.7 million
contract for CAD, police records management, in-field reporting and mobile data.

--------------------------
The Jasper County (SC) Emergency Services Division has signed a $250,000 contract with New
World Systems to provide CAD, records management and corrections management for the
sheriff, city of Hardeeville and town of Ridgeland police departments. It's the county's
first public safety software system, according to Dep. Director Steven Malphrus. "We are
literally moving from pen and paper into the 21st Century with a true Windows solution
from New World," he said in a press release. The county has 20,000 residents over 662
square miles, and the Emergency Services Division has 50+ sworn officers, 38+ paid and
120+ volunteer firefighters and EMS personnel. 

--------------------------
The California Highway Patrol and AAA in southern California have teamed up to produce a
public service video targeting accidental wireless 911 calls--the CHP says that 60% of the
wireless 911 calls they handled during 2001 were either accidental or non-emergencies. The
TV spot tells viewers how to avoid accidentally generating a 911 call.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/