Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Unveils Possible Spectrum Reform Blueprint

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:51:04 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=print_page&doc_id=107097

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<<< Back | Print

www.wirelessweek.com

FCC Unveils Possible Spectrum Reform Blueprint

By Mark Rockwell
November 7, 2002
news@2 direct

WASHINGTON--In a formal meeting here today, FCC
engineers officially unveiled recommendations that could be the foundation of
spectrum allocation reform in the coming months.

The reforms, trumpeted by FCC Chairman Michael Powell in a speech last week
in Boulder, Colo., centered primarily on the use of unlicensed spectrum
'commons' that would base access to spectrum by commercial interests on
technology capable of finding, and using, 'white spaces' in existing
spectrum.

The Spectrum Policy Task Force presented its findings
after meetings with commercial and government users over the summer and autumn.
The Spectrum Policy Task Force, headed by Paul Kolodzy, arrived at 39 specific
recommendations for how spectrum needs should be balanced out with new
capabilities over the coming years. Kolodzy outlined a few overarching findings
at the meeting, but said the complete report will be released next week on the
FCC's Web site.

At today's meeting, Kolodzy said 'white space' in existing spectrum accessed
with developing technology that can find those spaces is of primary importance
to advancing spectrum policy away from simply selling space to bidders. Along
with the new technological capabilities, the FCC also should look to minimize
interference that could arise with such a plan by more clearly defining spectrum
holder rights and responsibilities.

Powell called for the next procedural step-a notice of inquiry-be ready by
the FCC's December meeting. The NOI, as it's called, is the next step in seeking
comment on the issue from industry.

<<< Back | Print