Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dial Page's Inc. Cecil Duffie Buys Cambar Software Inc.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 04:10:25 -0500

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=printnews&doc_id=NR200211071180.3_beee0007bfd9360e

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Print this Page

Investment Firm Buys Charleston, S.C., Software Firm

November 7, 2002 5:16pm

Nov. 7--Locally based Cambar Software Inc. has been purchased by an
investment firm in a move company officials hope will spur growth.

The deal was announced on Wednesday, although Supply Chain Holdings'
purchase of Cambar has been in the works for about a year, as long as the
company has been on the market. Terms of the purchase were not disclosed.

The buy represents a change in Cambar's ownership format -- not to mention
a change in leadership, as Cecil Duffie, a principal in the investment firm,
takes over as CEO for Tom Stallings.

Cambar was employee-owned, meaning that shareholders all were either
current or former workers. They voted overwhelmingly for the sale, according to
company officials.

"Obviously, with an overwhelming majority, they all believed it to be in
the best interest of the company to change the structure," said Terri Deuel,
vice president of strategy and corporate development.

Cambar, or CSI, is a supply chain management software and consulting firm.
It employs 50 workers and is headquartered on the Cainhoy peninsula. The firm
has been actively looking for a buyer for a year now, Deuel said, because it
needed an infusion of funds to further its growth andincrease its market share.

Cambar, which spun off from electrical supplier Cameron & Barkley in 1981,
laid off some people last year, but Deuel said the firm hasn't had a layoff
since.

Supply Chain Holdings was formed in April for the purpose of buying
Cambar, and perhaps other supply chain management firms later on, Duffie said.
He said it's too early to talk about any other possible acquisitions.

Duffie said there are no plans for immediate changes. But he said the
company plans to build on its current strengths. Most notably, he mentioned
expanding into food service, where Cambar has key customers such as Nestle
Purina.

"The company has a good track record itself," he said. "The company has a
successful record. It's on a solid foundation."

Duffie's background is largely in telecommunications. He founded
Greenville-based wireless communications firm Dial Page Inc., which was bought
out by Nextel Communications in the mid-1990s.

Duffie later helped found Conxus Communications, a firm that sold
voicemail pagers but went bankrupt three years ago when it found itself unable
to compete with the cell phone industry.

-------------------

To see more of The Post and Courier, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to
http://www.charleston.net

© 2002, The Post and Courier, Charleston, S.C. Distributed by Knight
Ridder/Tribune Business News.

Copyright © 2002 Knight Ridder Tribune Business News

Feedback | Log In | Log Out | Subscribe | Advertise | About | Help | Site Map | Newsletters |
Hoover's Wireless

Home | Companies & Industries | Money | Career Development | News Center | Business Travel | Purchasing Center

Copyright © 2001,
Hoover's, Inc. |
Hoover's is Hiring |
NASDAQ: HOOV |
Privacy Policy |
Advertising Info