Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Report Outlines Proposed Spectrum Reform

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:26:54 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=print_page&doc_id=107675

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<<< Back | Print

www.wirelessweek.com

Report Outlines Proposed Spectrum Reform

By Wireless Week Staff
November 15, 2002
news@2 direct

WASHINGTON-The FCC today released the full text of its
Spectrum Policy Task Force's report on proposed spectrum reform on its Web site
(www.fcc.gov).

The 78-page document outlines, in specific detail, what the FCC is advocating
in spectrum reform. The task force expands on a notice of proposed rulemaking
the commission issued that looks at alternative ways to make more spectrum
available for advanced uses. FCC Chairman Michael Powell said he was interested
in making more productive use of unlicensed spectrum based on time, rather than
strict spectrum availability. The idea is to use the time gap in between
transmissions on a given piece of spectrum that occurs with wireless
service.

The report includes 39 policy points that outline what the FCC is proposing
in its new approach to spectrum. Powell had promised the outline when the
initiative was unveiled several weeks ago.

<<< Back | Print