Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Nov. 12, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:49:55 -0500

The New York Times reports that the logging recorder tape recovered from the World Trade
Center debris last February contains 78 minutes of FDNY radio transmissions that were
received by an in-building repeater, and re-transmitted to other fire units at the scene.
So what? It proves the repeater was working during the incident, contrary to claims in the
official FDNY report that was prepared by a private consultant. Audio portions of the tape
have been released, and they reveal firefighters were communicating routinely over the
repeater. Previously, it was believed the repeater was knocked out, and firefighters
didn't realize the danger they were in. But the tapes show that, although no specific
collapse message was received, they knew the jeopardy they faced. Still, they stayed in
the building trying to save lives. Surf the following site for the audio links, and then
look for the headline: "The Tale of the Tape":

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/multimedia/index.html

--------------------------
In an e-mail to members, NENA notes the U.S. Senate's shift to a Republican majority after
last week's elections. "Of interest to 9-1-1," the association says that Sen. Conrad Burns
(Rep.-Mont.) will likely vacate his chairmanship of the Senate Commerce Committee, and
that Sen. John McCain (Rep.-Ariz.) will return to the post. The committee handles many of
the Senate's telecom and communications issues.

--------------------------
An article in the Marietta (Geo.) Daily Journal newspaper notes that Cobb County doesn't
have Phase II, and handles about 600 wireless 911 calls a day. County officials said it
will be "the end of next year" before they have Phase II installed, funded by a $1
wireless customer monthly surcharge.

--------------------------
You'll recall that the Richochet high-speed wireless network is being tested by Denver
city agencies, including the police department. However, word is circulating that the
system takes a "hit" whenever there is a power failure, dampening enthusiasm by DPD, who
apparently feels the system should ignore power outages. Richochet Networks Inc. has
reportedly tried to sign on San Diego for tests, but they've taken a pass.

--------------------------
Information Week magazine reports that the Bush administration is considering a plan to
build a interstate communications system to carry homeland security information, using
existing networks to make the connection. Steve Cooper, special assistant to the president
and senior director for information integration at Homeland Security, told attendees at a
recent info tech conference that it would be an "interstate" system, not "national,"
apparently trying to avoid the political flack such a federal system might create.

--------------------------
The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA) released its mid-year data
survey on wireless communications, saying subscribers were up 14% from June 2001 to June
2002, to 134.5 million. Revenues were up 19% and minutes used increased 48%. No, the Hound
doesn't know how many of those minutes were spent dialing 911!

--------------------------
The Justiceworks project at the University of New Hampshire has prepared a report on, "The
Lessons of Non-Interoperability in Public Safety Communications Systems." The 32-page
report retells some famous incidents and the impact of non-interoperability, and comes to
some conclusions for the state of New Hampshire. Download in Acrobat (pdf, 501k) format
at:

http://www.justiceworks.unh.edu/Research/B_B_Vol_5/justiceworkspub.pdf

=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/