Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Nov. 14, 2002]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:53:32 -0500

Interoperability is the big buzzword, as evidenced by a seminar on the subject presented
by--The Homeland Security Lab Of the University Of Maine Computer Science Department? The
recent session was entitled "Interoperability Heading Down The Right Road." The Hound can
only guess: there's money to be made on interoperability solutions, and everyone is
jumping on-board.

--------------------------
Congrats to Duram County (NC) commissioners, who voted to award a $400,000 contract to
Sprint for Phase II gear. A surcharge on wireless phone subscribers will generate the
funds, and the gear should be installed by next January.
	
--------------------------
The Hound told you awhile back, but it's "news" to the mainstream press that Boston TV
station  WCVB has been interfering with public safety communications in Camden and Ocean
Counties. An article in the Cherry Hill (NJ) "Courier-Post" and Long Island's "Newsday"
noted that Burlington County recently obtained frequencies in the same range being used by
the TV station, and fears it will be the next victim. The TV station broadcasts digitally
on channel 20, while Camden County operates on 508 and 511 MHz channels nearby. Oh, Camden
County is 270 miles away from the station's transmitter!

--------------------------
Padcom Inc. is pushing in-between mobile data technology that allows field officers to
make a high-speed link to networks, as long as they're within 300 feet of an access point.
You're familiar with existing mobile data networks that have long range (10-20 miles), but
low bandwidth (48 kbps). Padcom is marketing Wi-Fi networks that offer 11 Mbps speeds when
they're within range. The Oakland (Calif.) police department has three access points, and
the Padcom network automatically downloads laptops with updated files when a patrol car
comes within range. The company says Baltimore, Tuscon and Orange County (Calif.) are also
customers.

--------------------------
NENA has posted a "Fast Facts" page on their Web site, including that 175 counties in the
U.S. still don't have any type of 911 service. The page also notes that, "Finding
information and statistics on 9-1-1 is difficult because there is no central collection
point the information, with the exception of NENA’s surveying and research." Huh?

http://www.nena.org/PR_Publications/911fastfacts.htm

--------------------------
Plant Equipment Inc. announced its new CADStar, map-based CAD software, designed for
agencies with 2-10 positions. The company says the software features a "flexible,
intuitive graphical user interface" that is simple to operate and which reduces training
time. The software can run on an agency's existing VESTA hardware, making the installation
process much quicker and easier. A company press release said PEI will also introduced a
records management product, allowing agencies to purchase an entire integrated
package--911, CAD and RMS--from a single vendor, on a single contract.

--------------------------
Good grief! Air carrier Lufthansa and aircraft manufacturer Boeing announced the first
airborne e-mail via a broadband Internet connection from onboard a scheduled commercial
airliner. The message was sent from 35,000 feet over Greenland while enroute from
Frankfurt to Washington (DC). The new service, dubbed Connexion, will be rolled out on
select Boeing aircraft. The system uses satellite technology to make the high-speed link.
The Hound can't wait for the first, "We're being hijacked" e-mail message...

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/