Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Firms follow Smart-Nextel row

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 00:57:43 -0500

URL: http://www.inq7.net/bus/2001/aug/07/text/bus_5-1-p.htm

Firms follow Smart-Nextel row
Posted:7:10 PM (Manila Time) | August 06, 2001
Inquirer News Service

NEXTEL Communications Philippines Inc. may be facing more headaches in the coming days as
other telecommunications companies have expressed intention to file a complaint for its
alleged illegal operation of an international gateway facility (IGF).
Smart Communications Inc. earlier filed a complaint against Nextel with the National
Telecommunications Commission.
A hearing was conducted at the NTC last Thursday where legal counsels for different
telecommunications companies were present.

Bell Telecommunication Phil. Inc., one of those present, said they may or may not file a
complaint.
"The case is still pending and hearings are still ongoing at the NTC. We have to evaluate
our options first.  We’ll make our final legal position when we get copies of documents
from both Nextel and Smart," BellTel internal legal adviser Rene Macamay told the INQUIRER
in a phone interview.

Also present were Globe Telecom and Bayan Telecommunications Inc.
Nextel, on the other hand, denied allegations that it is illegally operating an IGF.

"We course our traffic through a licensed IGF operator, one of the 11 or 12 licensed by
the NTC. We’re conducting a legitimate commercial operation," Nextel president Emilio
Festejo told the INQUIRER in a phone interview last week.
He said the other carriers are just hurling accusations at Nextel because its IDD
(international distance dialing) rate is pegged at 30 cents a minute, 0.10 cents more than
the one prevailing in the market today.

"Just because we’re offering something for less doesn’t mean we’re doing something
illegal," Festejo added.
He also said that Nextel is just a small operator that cannot dictate market prices like
the big carriers can.
"I believe that business is a public service, but we can only do so much. Besides, we
won’t do anything illegal or we might as well kiss our business goodbye," he said.

Meanwhile, Nextel has written the NTC last Friday to help them negotiate with Globe for
interconnection.

"The letter says that we’ve already undergone discussions with Globe, but due to a
deadlock in
commercial rates, we want to give the matter back to the Commission," Festejo said.
Inquirer News
Service

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/