Subject: [NEXTEL-1] He helps airborne presidents phone home The chief of Air Force Communications tells Midlanders tales of his travels with Clinton and Bush.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:53:26 -0500

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=34320581&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

News

IndustryWatch

Aerospace/Defense

Auto

Aviation

Banking

Business and Finance

- Bankruptcy

- Dividends/Earnings

- Executives

- Intellect. Prop.

- Investments

- Investors

- IPO's

- Joint Ventures

- Labor

- Mergers & Acq.

- Mortgages/Loans

- Products

- Reg. and Taxes

- Venture Capital

Chemicals

Computers

Economy/Markets

Energy

Entertainment

Environment

Food

Government

Healthcare

Insurance

Internet

Metals & Minerals

Real Estate

Retail

Small Business

Telecommunications

Transportation

Travel

Utilities

searchIndustryWatch

Markets &
Stocks

Commentary

Technology

Personal Finance

Retirement

Mutual Funds

Money 101

Money's Best

Track your
stocks

Calculators

CNNfn
on TV

Services

CNN.com

CNNSI.com

MONEY
Magazine
Customer
Service

E-MAIL
NEWSLETTERS
sign
up!

MOBILE NEWS
•AvantGo

sign
up!

He helps airborne presidents phone home The chief of Air Force Communications tells Midlanders tales of his travels with Clinton and Bush.

Source: Omaha World - Herald

Publication date: 2002-11-12

Chief Master Sgt. Michael Tedford acted as if he wasn't confused
when President Bush asked him to telephone No. 41.

"Who's 41?" the chief of Air Force Communications asked a
crewmate.

"That's what he calls his dad," the crewmate told him, referring
to George Herbert Walker Bush, the 41st president.

So while cruising thousands of feet above ground, Tedford dialed
up the president's father.

"Hey, Barb," the former president yelled to his wife, "43's
calling from Air Force One."

Tedford - who spoke Monday night at the Strategic Air and Space
Museum - coordinates and listens to all of President Bush's phone
calls from Air Force One.

His visit to the Omaha area, which included some school
presentations, was sponsored by Nextel.

It certainly wasn't his first visit to the Midlands.

His wife is from the area, and he previously was stationed at
Offutt Air Force Base. And the president has visited here, too.

Tedford - also part of the crew when President Clinton was in
office - entertained an audience of about 50 people with facts
about the presidential plane and the commanders in chief.

He told them the plane has 87 phones. After Sept. 11, it was
equipped with satellite television.

His biggest challenge is keeping technology current. By the time
the Air Force can approve funding, the equipment may be obsolete.

When asked whether the movie "Air Force One" was an accurate
depiction, Tedford said it was "a good movie, but strictly
Hollywood."

Tedford said the support he has given both presidents was equal,
even if there are differences between the two.

The biggest difference? Punctuality.

The crew jokingly referred to their former flight schedule as
"Clinton Standard Time."

Bush, by contrast, is extremely punctual.

Publication date: 2002-11-12

© 2002, YellowBrix, Inc.

CNNmoney

contact us | magazine
customer service |
site
map | CNN/Money
glossary

OTHER NEWS: CNN | CNNSI | Fortune | Business 2.0 | Time | ON
Copyright © 2002 CNN America, Inc. An AOL Time
Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you. privacy policy