Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SEC & NEXTEL

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 19:08:12 -0500

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=query_displaynews&q=NEXTEL&so=&dc=&ro=&ed=&sd=&s=1&boldtext=NEXTEL&sym=&doc_id=NR20021101665.1_3e7f00ca77359570

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

| Subscribe | About Hoover's | Advertise | Site Map | Help | Log Out

<SCRIPT SRC=http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/newscenter.com/newscenter;dcopt=ist;cui=edge;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=468x60;tile=1;ord=303384?></SCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>
<A HREF="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/newscenter.com/newscenter;cui=edge;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=468x60;tile=1;ord=303384?">
<IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/newscenter.com/newscenter;cui=edge;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=468x60;tile=1;ord=303384?" BORDER=0 WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60 ALT='Click Here!'>Click Here!</A>
</NOSCRIPT>

Company News

IPO News

Market News

Industry News

Free Newsletters

NewsStand

E-Mail News Alerts

UK News

<SCRIPT SRC=http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/newscenter.com/newscenter;cui=edge600;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=120x600;tile=2;ord=303384?></SCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>
<A HREF="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/newscenter.com/newscenter;cui=edge600;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=120x600;tile=2;ord=303384?">
<IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/newscenter.com/newscenter;cui=edge600;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=120x600;tile=2;ord=303384?" BORDER=0 WIDTH=120 HEIGHT=600 ALT='Click Here!'>Click Here!</A>
</NOSCRIPT>

Search

by Company Name
by Ticker
by Keyword
D&B D-U-N-S Number
by Executive Name
the News
IPO Companies
Stock Quotes
the Whole Site for

Advanced Search (See Sample)

Lead Finder

Print This Story | E-mail This Story
| Create E-mail News Alert

Back To News

Self-Regulatory Organizations; Notice of Filing of Proposed Rule Change by the
International Securities Exchange, ...

November 1, 2002 1:02pm

SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION

Advertisement: Explore Within This Space

<SCRIPT SRC=http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/newscenter.com/newscenter;cui=edge336;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=336x280;tile=5;ord=141262?></SCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>
<A HREF="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/newscenter.com/newscenter;cui=edge336;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=336x280;tile=5;ord=141262?">
<IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/newsnewscenter.com/newscenter;cui=edge336;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=336x280;tile=5;ord=141262?" BORDER=0 WIDTH=336 HEIGHT=280 ALT='Click Here!'>Click Here!</A>
</NOSCRIPT>

[Release No. 34-46723; File No. SR-ISE-2002-24]

Self-Regulatory Organizations; Notice of Filing of Proposed Rule Change by the
International Securities Exchange, Inc. Relating to Quotation Size

October 25, 2002.

Pursuant to section 19(b)(1) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 ("Act")
{1} and Rule 19b-4 thereunder, {2} notice is hereby given that on October 11,
2002, the International Securities Exchange, Inc. ("ISE" or "Exchange") filed
with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC" or "Commission") the
proposed rule change as described in Items I, II, and III below, which Items
have been prepared by the ISE. The Commission is publishing this notice to
solicit comments on the proposed rule change from interested persons.

{1} 15 U.S.C. 78s(b)(1).

{2} 17 CFR 240.19b-4.

I. Self-Regulatory Organization's Statement of the Terms of Substance of the
Proposed Rule Change

The Exchange proposes that all ISE's quotations would be firm for all
incoming orders for their full disseminated size. The ISE would retain a one-
contract minimum size for quotations when they interact with quotations
entered by other ISE market makers. The proposed rule change would be
implemented when the Commission approves the proposal and grants the Exchange
an exemption from Rule 11Ac1-1 (the "Firm Quote Rule") under the Act, and when
the Exchange implements technical enhancements to its system necessary to
support this change. Below is the text of the proposed rule change. Additions
are italicized. Brackets indicate deletions.

* * * * *

Rule 804.-Market Maker Quotations

(a) Options Classes. A quotation only may be entered by a market maker, and
only in the options classes to which the market maker is appointed under Rule
802.

(b) Size Associated with Quotes. A market maker's bid and offer for a
series of options contracts shall be accompanied by the number of contracts at
that price the market maker is willing to buy [from] or sell (i) upon receipt
of an order ("Order Execution Size") and (ii) upon interaction with a
quotation entered by another market maker on the Exchange ("Quotation
Execution Size") [to (i) Public Customers (the "Public Customer Size") and
(ii) Non-Customers (the "Non-Customer Size")]. Unless the Exchange has
declared a fast market pursuant to Rule 704, a market maker may not initially
enter an Order Execution Size [a bid or offer with a Public Customer] of less
than ten (10) contracts. Where the size associated with a market maker's bid
or offer falls below ten (10) contracts due to executions at that price and
consequently the size of the best bid or offer on the Exchange would be for
less than ten (10) contracts, the market maker shall enter a new bid or offer
for at least ten (10) contracts, either at the same or a different price.
Every market maker bid or offer must have a Quotation Execution [a Non-
Customer] Size of at least one (1) contract.

© Two-Sided Quotes. A market maker that enters a bid (offer) on the
Exchange must enter an offer (bid) within the spread allowable under Rule
803(b)(4).

(d) Firm Quotes. (1) Market maker bids and offers are firm for orders and
Exchange market maker quotations [Public Customer Orders and Non-Customer
Orders] both under this Rule and Rule 11Ac1-1 under the Exchange Act ("Rule
11Ac1-1") for the number of contracts specified [for each] according to the
requirements of paragraph (b) above. Market maker bids and offers are not firm
under this Rule and Rule 11Ac1-1 if:

(i) a system malfunction or other circumstance impairs the Exchange's
ability to disseminate or update market quotes in a timely and accurate
manner;

(ii) the level of trading activities or the existence of unusual market
conditions is such that the Exchange is incapable of collecting, processing,
and making available to quotation vendors the data for the option in a manner
that accurately reflects the current state of the market on the Exchange, and
as a result, the market in the option is declared to be "fast" pursuant to
Rule 704;

(iii) during trading rotations; or

(iv) any of the circumstances provided in paragraph ©(3) of Rule 11Ac1-1
exist.

(2) Within thirty seconds of receipt of an order [a Public Customer Order
(Non-Customer Order)] to buy or sell an option in an amount greater than the
Order Execution Size, or within thirty seconds of another Exchange market
maker entering a quotation at a price executable against the market maker's
quotation [Public Customer Size (Non-Customer Size)], that portion of the
order equal to the Order Execution Size, or the Quotation Execution Size, as
the case may be, [Public Customer Size

---- Page Number 66694 ----

(Non-Customer Size)] will be executed and the bid or offer price will be
revised.

[Supplementary Material to Rule 804

.01 Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (b), for the "Enhanced Size
Pilot" described in.02 below, a Primary Market Maker may not initially enter a
bid or offer for a Public Customer of less than 100 contracts, and a bid or
offer for Non-Customers (except for other market makers) of less than 50
contracts. Also for the purposes of the Enhanced Size Pilot, a Competitive
Market Maker may not initially enter a bid or offer for a Public Customer of
less than 50 contracts, and a bid or offer for Non-Customers (except for other
market makers) of less than 25 contracts. Where the size associated with a
market maker's bid or offer falls below such specified size, the market maker
shall enter a new bid or offer for at least the specified size, either at the
same or a different price.

.02 The Enhanced Size Pilot shall operate as follows:

(1) The Enhanced Size Pilot shall operate until October 31, 2002;

(2) Securities included in the Enhanced Size Pilot are options on: Nasdaq
100 Trust; Sun Microsystems; EMC Corp.; Qualcomm; Wells Fargo &Co.; Oracle;
Lucent; Juniper Networks; Intel; AOL Time Warner; Tyco; Citigroup; Cisco;
Applied Materials; Microsoft; General Electric; Broadcom; Nokia; Siebel
Systems; Banc of America; Ciena; Dell; Fannie Mae; Motorola; Merrill Lynch;
Nvidia; Xilinx; Amazon.com; Halliburton; Nextel Communications; J.P. Morgan
Chase; ADC Telecommunication; Best Buy; Calpine; General Motors; and Hewlett
Packard; and

(3) The size requirements in the Enhanced Size Pilot will not apply:

(a) To options that expire beyond the nearest three expiration months;

(b) To "Deep-in-the-Money" options; or

© On an option's last three trading days prior to expiration.

03. For the purpose of this Rule, "Deep-in-the-Money" means all options
with strike prices that are in the money by 12 percent or more in relation to
the at-the-money strike price.]

* * * * *

Rule 805.-Market Maker Orders

* * * * *

© Limitations on Orders. A market maker shall not enter more than one
order every fifteen (15) seconds for its own account in options on the same
underlying security; provided, however, that this shall not apply to multiple
orders in different series of options on the same underlying security if such
orders are part of a spread.

[Exemptive Authority. Until the earlier of (1) one year from the date on
which the Exchange commences operations or (2) the date on which the Exchange
opens all options Groups for trading, an Exchange official designated by the
Board may grant market makers exemptions from the requirements of
subparagraphs (b)(2) and (3) of this rule, subject to the following:

(1) If a market maker has only one Membership, and thus is assigned to only
one Group, any exemption would end when the assigned Group is open for
trading, regardless of the number of options classes that begin trading in the
assigned Group;

(2) If a market maker has multiple Memberships, and thus is assigned to
trading in more than one Group, the exemption would end when all the market
maker's Groups are open for trading, again regardless of the number of options
classes that begin trading in the assigned Groups; as the market maker's
assigned Groups open for trading, the amount of trading the market maker would
be permitted to execute outside of its assigned Groups would be reduced;

(3) Any exemption would be conditioned on the member performing market
maker functions in the classes they trade;

(4) An exemption could be revoked by the Exchange at any time if the market
maker is not acting in accordance with the terms of the exemption; and

(5) No exemption would have a term of more than one month, but would be
renewable on a monthly basis until the market maker's group(s) was open for
trading.]

* * * * *

II. Self-Regulatory Organization's Statement of the Purpose of, and Statutory
Basis for, the Proposed Rule Change

In its filing with the Commission, the ISE included statements concerning
the purpose of and basis for the proposed rule change and discussed any
comments it received on the proposed rule change. The text of these statements
may be examined at the places specified in Item IV below. The ISE has prepared
summaries, set forth in sections A, B, and C below, of the most significant
aspects of such statements.

A. Self-Regulatory Organization's Statement of the Purpose of, and Statutory
Basis for, the Proposed Rule Change

1. Purpose

The purpose of this proposed rule change is to provide that all ISE
quotations would be firm for all incoming orders for their full disseminated
size. This would be the first time that any options exchange provides non-
customers (that is, broker-dealers) with full access to the entire
disseminated size of the exchange's quotations for all their orders. The
specifics of the proposal are as follows:

* Each ISE Primary Market Maker and Competitive Market Maker would enter a
quotation with a single size, available in full for all incoming orders,
whether from customers, broker-dealers, ISE market makers or market makers on
other exchanges.

* Each market maker also would be able to establish a second quotation size
that would be available when its quotation interacts with another ISE market
maker quotation. This would limit an ISE market maker's exposure when it
establishes a quotation at the same price as an existing ISE market maker
quotation in the system. While this interaction of quotations is beneficial
from a price-discovery standpoint, there is significant risk in this situation
because execution can occur simultaneously in multiple series. While market
makers would be able to limit this risk by setting their size to a smaller
number of at least one contract, ISE market makers would be able to access the
full size of another market maker's quotation by sending an order in that
series. {3}

{3} Implementing this aspect of the proposal would require the Commission
to grant an exemption from the Firm Quote Rule. While that rule permits market
makers to set smaller sizes for all non-customer orders, it does not permit
different quotation sizes for different categories of professionals.
Simultaneously with submitting this proposed rule change, the ISE submitted a
separate exemption request.

* The ISE also proposes to prohibit market makers from sending more than
one order every 15 seconds in options on the same underlying security. ISE
Rule 717(h) currently imposes this limitation on orders that Electronic Access
Members send to the Exchange. This limitation reduces a market maker's
exposure across multiple series of options. {4} This restriction, however,
does not currently apply to market maker orders since market makers generally
have established nominal

---- Page Number 66695 ----

quotations for other market makers. Because ISE market makers now would be
able to enter orders accessing another market maker's full size, ISE proposes
to extend this 15-second limitation to ISE market maker orders.

{4} See Securities Exchange Act Release No.44017 (February 28, 2001), 66
FR 13820 (March 7, 2001) (File No. SR-ISE-2000-20).

* Finally, the ISE proposes two technical "clean up" changes to its rules.
First, the Exchange proposes to delete language from Rule 804 regarding the
"enhanced size pilot" that would expire on October 31, 2002. Second, the
Exchange proposes to delete language from Rule 805 regarding limited exemptive
authority that expired a year after the Exchange commenced trading.

2. Statutory Basis

The basis for this proposed rule change is the requirement under section
6(b)(5) of the Act {5} to remove impediments to and perfect the mechanism for
a free and open market and a national market system, and, in general, to
protect investors and the public interest.

{5} 15 U.S.C. 78f(b)(5).

B. Self-Regulatory Organization's Statement on Burden on Competition

The ISE believes that the proposed rule change does not impose any burden
on competition that is not necessary or appropriate in furtherance of the
purposes of the Act.

C. Self-Regulatory Organization's Statement on Comments on the Proposed Rule
Change Received From Members, Participants, or Others

No written comments were solicited or received with respect to the proposed
rule change.

III. Date of Effectiveness of the Proposed Rule Change and Timing for
Commission Action

Within 35 days of the date of publication of this notice in the Federal
Register or within such longer period (i) as the Commission may designate up
to 90 days of such date if it finds such longer period to be appropriate and
publishes its reasons for so finding or (ii) as to which the self-regulatory
organization consents, the Commission will:

(A) by order approve such proposed rule change, or

(B) institute proceedings to determine whether the proposed rule change
should be disapproved.

IV. Solicitation of Comments ...

[For full article see original publication.]

BILLING CODE 8010-01-P

http://www.sun.com

http://www.emc.com

http://wellsfargo.com

http://www.intel.com

http://www.aoltimewarner.com

http://www.appliedmaterials.com/

http://www.microsoft.com

http://www.ge.com

http://www.siebel.com/

http://www.mot.com

http://www.ml.com

http://www.nextel.com/

http://www.jpmorgan.com

http://www.chasecorp.com/

http://www.gm.com

http://www.hp.com

Copyright © 2002 Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc.

Home | Companies
& Industries | IPO
Central | News
Center | Information
Marketplace | Hoover's
Publications | Newsletters
| Hoover's
Wireless

About | Log
In | Subscribe
| Advertise | Site
Map | Help |
Feedback

Copyright © 2002, Hoover's,
Inc. | Job Opportunities
| NASDAQ: HOOV
| Privacy Policy | Advertising
Info

<SCRIPT SRC=http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/finance.com/finance;cui=default_11;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=1x1;tile=6;ord=303384?>
</SCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>
<A HREF="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/finance.com/finance;cui=default_11;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=1x1;tile=6;ord=303384?">
<IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/finance.com/finance;cui=default_11;kw=nonsubscriber;sz=1x1;tile=6;ord=303384?" BORDER=0 WIDTH=1 HEIGHT=1 ALT='Click Here!'>Click Here!</A>
</NOSCRIPT>