Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mororola Awarded $12,000,000.00 Contract-PROJECT 25, VHF, OTAR-CAPABLE, LAND MOBILE RADIO INFRASTRUCTURE

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:28:10 -0500

58 -- PROJECT 25, VHF, OTAR-CAPABLE, LAND MOBILE RADIO INFRASTRUCTURE AND ASSOCIATED
IMPLEMENTATION SERVICES

General Information

Document Type:
Award Notice
Solicitation Number:
JIJMD-02-0205
Posted Date:
Nov 19, 2002
Original Archive Date:
Nov 30, 2002
Current Archive Date:
Classification Code:
58 -- Communication, detection, & coherent radiation equipment
Set Aside:
N/A

Contracting Office Address

Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Procurement Services Staff (PSS), 1331
Pennsylvania Avenue,
N.W. National Place Building, 10th Floor, Washington, DC, 20530

Description

Contract Award Date:
Nov 15, 2002
Contract Award Number:
03-C-0683
Contract Award Amount:
Maximum Value: $12,000,000.00
Contract Line Item Number:
Contractor:
Motorola, Inc. 7230 Parkway Drive Hanover, MD 21706

Description

The Wireless Management Office (WMO), U. S. Department of Justice (DOJ), intends to
negotiate, on a sole source basis, a contract with Motorola, Inc., 7230 Parkway Drive,
Hanover, Maryland 21076, for the purchase and implementation of a TIA-102/Project 25
(P.25) standards compliant, VHF, Land Mobile Radio (LMR) system with Over-the-Air-Rekeying
(OTAR) capability. Within ten months of contract award, the system shall incorporate P.25
compliant trunked (9600 baud control channel) operations and a packet-based
infrastructure. These requirements are established through the initial recommendations
from an engineering design analysis for the Justice Wireless Network (JWN). The
infrastructure will meet the requirements of approximately 630 DOJ LMR users in a
geographic area with an approximate 50 mile radius of metropolitan Seattle and Blaine,
Washington. The Government anticipates a base period of twelve months for the resultant
contract with three additional option periods of one year each for maintenance and
training of the implemented system.

The Government will not purchase any subscriber equipment under this solicitation. The
Government's determination to negotiate this as a sole source contract with Motorola is
based on the congressionally-mandated schedule for narrowband operations and DOJ's
operational requirements for systems implementation and replacement. After extensive
interviews and discussions with the LMR manufacturing community, the Government has
determined that Motorola is the only LMR manufacturer currently capable of both providing
a complete P.25 compliant LMR system infrastructure with OTAR capability in the VHF band
and of adding the additional features listed above to the system within ten months of the
anticipated contract award date. The DOJ intends to utilize the system infrastructure
acquired under this procurement as an operational system and as a test-bed for subscriber
and infrastructure equipment from multiple LMR equipment manufacturers. As part of design
planning, system staging and field acceptance testing, Motorola will be required to verify
P.25 compliance. Prior to system staging and implementation, Motorola shall fully identify
to the Government any and all system features or functions that are proprietary or that
are not fully identified under P.25 standards. The Government intends to enter into an
agreement to have Motorola make any proprietary data available to industry.

There is no solicitation document. Interested parties must submit a detailed response, to
include descriptions and product literature, that clearly and convincingly demonstrates
that they meet the stated requirements for existing capabilities, i.e., TIA-102/Project 25
(P.25) standards compliant, VHF, Land Mobile Radio (LMR) system with Over-the-Air-Rekeying
(OTAR) capability and published milestones and development plans for meeting the ten
months from contract award requirement for P.25 compliant trunked (9600 baud control
channel) operations and a packet-based infrastructure (for estimating purposes only, the
anticipated date for contract award is July 2002). Responses received as a result of this
notice of intent will be considered solely for the purpose of determining whether to
conduct a competitive procurement. Responses will not be considered as proposals or bids,
and cost or pricing data are not solicited. A determination by the Government not to open
this requirement to competition based upon any written responses to this notice is solely
within the discretion of the Government.

See Numbered Note 22.
Original Point of Contact
R. Frate, Contracting Officer, Phone (202) 307-1928, Fax (202) 307-1933, Email
[email-masked] - R. Frate,
Contracting Officer, Phone (202) 307-1928, Fax (202) 307-1933, Email [email-masked]
Place of Performance
Address:
Washington state

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/