Subject: [NEXTEL-1] e-inSITE - The Electronics Industry Knowledge Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:16:17 -0500

http://www.e-insite.net/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA257990

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Welcome, Guest.
Register/Log in here for extra features.

Search

All of e-inSITE Tips

Key Industry Sites - by Google Tips

Web Directory - by Business.Com

Find A Part   Advanced

Enter Part #

PREMIUM INFO PRODUCTS

powered by

You are here Home

Publications/Free subscriptions

|

Newsletters

|

Products

|

Vendors

Info Channels

Analog

Capital Equipment

DSP

EDA

Embedded Systems

Programmable Logic

Test and Measurement

Wireless

Broadband

Business and Marketing

Registration

Sign up today for special features,
including free e-letters, access to archives, and much more.

e-inSITE Features

Daily News

Yearbook

Movers & Shakers

Market Research

More Special Issues

Events

Careers

e-inSITE Lab

Archives

e-inSITE Resources

CARR Reports

In-Stat Store

Bookstore

Inside e-inSITE

About Us

Advertise

Contact Us

Free print subscriptions

Media Kits

Site Map

FCC Task Force Issues Spectrum Reform Recommendations

By Mark Long -- e-inSITE, 11/8/2002

The Spectrum Policy Task Force of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
has submitted sweeping recommendations with regards to the reform of the
Commission's rules governing spectrum management.

Based upon its research and extensive public input, the Task Force has
concluded that the time is ripe for spectrum policy reform. If the Task Force
guidelines are fully implemented, the FCC will be moving from a traditional
"command and control" model of spectrum management to a more flexible,
consumer-oriented approach that could make it far easier for innovators to
introduce new technologies and services on an expedited basis.

"Increasing demand for spectrum-based services and devices are straining
longstanding, and outmoded, spectrum policies," noted the report's researchers.
"While the Commission has recently made some major strides in how spectrum is
allocated and assigned in some bands...spectrum policy is not keeping pace with
the relentless spectrum demands of the market."

The Task Force notes that some spectrum bands are heavily used, while many
others are not in use in all geographic areas or are used only part of the time.
It would therefore be possible for spectrum-based services or devices to operate
to fill in these spectrum blanks-- including both those that result from
variability in the operations of existing spectrum users over time as well as
those that result from the geographic separation between existing spectrum
users.

These spectrum blanks can be addressed by new technologies such as
software-defined radios and new digital transmission techniques, claim the Task
Force researchers, because of their ability to allow spectrum rights to be
assigned as a function of time, rather than simply by means of the current
parameters of frequency and geographic area. In addition, the new technologies
promise to allow systems to be much more tolerant of interference than in the
past.

"Spectrum-based technology developers...have increasingly developed
technologies that make signals more vigorous and deliver communications when and
where people need them," said FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell in a prepared
statement. "They have largely crossed over to digital transmission techniques to
use spectrum more efficiently. They have developed sensory and adaptive
technologies that allow transmitters and receivers to interact dynamically with
the environment and to find open spectrum for use only when they need it."

Among its many findings, the Task Force also recommends that the Commission
evolve its spectrum policy toward more flexible and market-oriented spectrum
policies that will provide incentives for users to migrate to more
technologically innovative and economically efficient uses of spectrum. The
Commission also needs to provide incentives for efficient spectrum use by both
licensed and unlicensed users through flexible rules and facilitating secondary
markets to enable spectrum users to take into account market factors such as
consumer demand, availability of technology and competition.  In addition,
the Task Force recommends that the Commission improve access through the time
dimension so that unused or underused spectrum can be time-shared between
multiple users, leading to more efficient use of the spectrum resource.

"Our policies must focus on what consumers want and what technology can
deliver--not on old models of command and control regulatory
intervention," said Powell. "Today’s consumer demands access to
interference-free spectrum when they need it.... Unfortunately our spectrum
policy is behind both consumers and technology....

"By creating policies that will allow these technologies to be commercially
deployed as soon as they are ready - rather than waiting long periods of time
for regulatory reform - we hope to create an environment in which innovative
technologies will prosper," the FCC Chairman added. "In such an
environment, technologies may be developed faster, deployed more rapidly, and
thus provide desired spectrum-based services to the American people.

CTIA wireless industry association president and CEO Tom Wheeler pointed out
that the new Spectrum Task Force report issued yesterday is merely the first
step in the creation of the framework for a policy discussion that will need to
go on to the next level.

"Now the heavy lifting of determining the rights and responsibilities of
spectrum users begins in earnest," observed Wheeler. "We hope the forthcoming
policy discussions will focus on providing ample spectrum for commercial
applications, creating a stable environment that encourages investment and thus
expansion of consumer services, and protecting consumers’ rights to reliable,
interference-free spectrum-delivered services."

Our Sponsors

Agilent

You need to... TEST faster and higher complexity devices; LOWER overall cost-of-test; MANAGE multiple systems on your test floor. The SCALABLE TESTER ARCHITECTURE from Agilent Technologies is meeting these challenges for IC manufacturers today. FIND OUT HOW.

Texas Instruments

Broadband OEMs: Improve time to market w/lower risk - work with the experts.

Mitsubishi Electric & Electronics USA, Inc.

Are you struggling with upward compatibility using another MCU? Mitsubishi
Electric's M16C family can virtually eliminate redesign by offering the
industry's broadest MCU platform, with seamless code and pin compatibility from
8- to 32-bit functionality.

e-inCyclopedia

More than 20,000
technical terms defined

Your online source of technical terminology and definitions.

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=4;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574181464124416?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=4;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574181464124416?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=4;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574181464124416?" border=0 width="125" height="125"></A>
</noscript>

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=1;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574183477455616?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=1;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574183477455616?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=1;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574183477455616?" border=0 width="125" height="125"></A>
</noscript>

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=3;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574184061680896?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=3;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574184061680896?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=3;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=37574184061680896?" border=0 width="125" height="125"></A>
</noscript>

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=2;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=3757418712735232?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=2;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=3757418712735232?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/e-insite.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=cegbutton;pos=2;lay=article;desc=CA257990;sz=125x125;ord=3757418712735232?" border=0 width="125" height="125"></A>
</noscript>

Ticker

Last

Change

SNPS

47.75

2.60

INTC

19.08

0.96

TXN

15.72

0.62

ARW

13.92

0.50

AMAT

14.87

0.17

1,398.95

37.61

8,511.61

113.12

902.08

19.55

Get Quote/Company Info

Ticker Find symbol

Data delayed at least 20 min.

Terms of Use

|

About Us

|

Media Kits

|

FREE Print Subscriptions

|

Privacy Policy

|

Contact Us

|

Advertise

|

Register/Log In

© 2002 Reed Business Information · Use of this website is subject to its
Terms of Use

Privacy Policy

The Dow Jones IndexesSM are compiled, calculated and distributed by Dow Jones & Company, Inc. and have been licensed for use.
All content of The Dow Jones IndexesSM © 2002 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.