Subject: [NEXTEL-1] County OK's radio system purchase

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:44:51 -0500

http://www.thecitizennews.com/main/archive-021127/news/in-05.html
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
·FREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Wednesday, November 27, 2002

County OK's radio
system purchase

By JOHN
THOMPSON

[email-masked]

The Fayette
County Commission gave unanimous approval last Saturday to buying the
county's new communications systems from Motorola for $7.6 million.

County administrator
Chris Cofty said the deal is something the county had been trying to work
out for five years when it learned the FCC was selling its current frequency
to Southern Company.

The purchase
will probably be a lease purchase agreement through Motorola over a 10-year
period, but Cofty said it's still to early to know the exact details of
the financing.

When the FCC
sold the frequency, it instructed Southern Company to work with the county
in obtaining a new frequency.

"I told
(county attorney) Bill McNally to try and get about $6 million out of
them, but we'll see," he said.

The county's
original estimate for replacing the system was nearly $10 million, but
county officials have been able to negotiate with existing tower owners
in the county to place their communication centers on the privately-owned
towers.

The county's
emergency departments currently operate on the 806 band, buy Cofty said
the new system, which should be running in June, will be on the 821 band.

"This
is a dual system that will eventually allow us to go completely digital
if we want," he said.

The County
Commission thanked Cofty for his negotiations and urged McNally to get
the best possible deal for the county in his negotiations with southern
Company.

What
do you think of this story?

Click here to send a message to the editor.

Back to the News Home Page|
Back to the top of the
page