Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MapInfo Joins CTIA

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:59:14 -0500

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.111102/223152029&ticker=MAPS

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Click here for MAPS stock quote/chart

BW2029 NOV 11,2002 5:00 PACIFIC 08:00 EASTERN

( BW)(NY-MAPINFO)(MAPS) MapInfo Joins CTIA to Help Set Industry
Standards for the Communications and Wireless LBS Market

Business Editors/High-Tech Writers

CTIA Wireless 2003

TROY, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 11, 2002--

Leading Location-based Services Company Participates in
International Association for the Wireless Communications Industry

MapInfo Corporation (Nasdaq: MAPS) today announced it has joined
CTIA (Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association), the
international organization of the wireless communications industry for
both wireless carriers and manufacturers. As an active member of CTIA,
MapInfo will contribute to the development of industry standards and
further advance the use of location-intelligence for improved
decision-making.

"We are pleased that MapInfo has joined CTIA to help drive and
support the growth of the wireless communications industry," says
Travis Larson, communications director, CTIA. "As a recognized and
respected leader in telecom and wireless LBS, MapInfo's proven ability
to deliver location-based services solutions will be instrumental in
the development of new standards."

Wireless carriers need to quickly build and deploy commercially
viable mobile location applications. As the leading geospatial
platform provider, MapInfo helps mobile operators rapidly deploy
location-enhanced applications. Through MapInfo's alliance with a
number of technology partners, carriers can now more easily and
efficiently introduce location services and adopt MapInfo's
industry-leading miAware(R) platform without bringing it into their
infrastructure. MapInfo works with a growing list of LBS customers to
provide its platform, including Vodafone and its operating companies.

Along with participation in CTIA, MapInfo takes an active role
developing specifications that benefit the entire location-aware
industry through the Open Location Services (OpenLS) initiative.
MapInfo will ensure that its location-based solutions and services
comply with current and future standards, develop technologies that
support growth in location-based services (LBS), e911, homeland
security initiatives and help carriers comply with FCC mandates for
Local Number Portability (LNP).

"CTIA represents the voice of the wireless industry," said Lonnie
Floyd, strategic industry director for the communications sector,
MapInfo. "As a leader in location-based technology, MapInfo is
extending its commitment to help foster the growth of LBS in the
wireless industry. We plan to be an active participant in CTIA and
look forward to networking with other innovators who are leading the
way in the wireless communications industry."

MapInfo will continue to exhibit at the CTIA Wireless conferences,
including the upcoming CTIA Wireless 2003 show in New Orleans in March
2003. CTIA Wireless is the largest wireless show in the
telecommunication and computing industries.

For more information about MapInfo's role in the wireless
industries, view demos and register for online seminars, please visit
www.mapinfo.com/telecom or www.mapinfo.com/mobile. To request a free
2002 Telecom Catalog, please call 1-800-327-8627.

About CTIA

CTIA is the international association for the wireless
telecommunications industry, representing carriers, manufacturers and
wireless Internet providers. http://www.wow-com.com.

About MapInfo

MapInfo Corporation is a global software company that integrates
software, data and services to help customers realize greater value
from location-based information and drive more insightful decisions.
MapInfo solutions are available in 20 languages through a network of
strategic partners and distribution channels in 60 countries.
Headquartered in Troy, NY, MapInfo Corporation is on the World Wide
Web at www.mapinfo.com.

Of Note

This press release contains forward-looking statements that
involve risks and uncertainties. For this purpose, any statement that
is not a statement of historical fact is a forward-looking statement,
including without limitation statements concerning market demand for
MapInfo's products and solutions, the potential benefits of MapInfo's
software to customers, and the integration of MapInfo's software
offerings with existing solutions. Factors that may cause these
statements not to be true or to differ materially from the manner in
which they are presented include potential difficulties related to
third party integration of MapInfo's software, market acceptance of
MapInfo's offerings, decreased spending by customers or potential
customers on technology solutions and the impact of economic trends
that affect generally the market for MapInfo's software and other
product offerings. MapInfo takes no responsibility to update any
forward-looking statements.

MapInfo and its products are trademarks of MapInfo Corporation.

--30--GK/bo*

CONTACT: MapInfo Corporation
Angela Girard, 518/285-6000
[email-masked]
or
Schwartz Communications
Lauren Arnold/Alice Hwang, 781/684-0770
[email-masked]

KEYWORD: NEW YORK
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: COMPUTERS/ELECTRONICS INTERNET NETWORKING
SOFTWARE TELECOMMUNICATIONS TRADESHOW
SOURCE: MapInfo Corporation

©2002