Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] RFC3012bis - Comments from ADs (Protocol related) ISSUE#6

From: "Jayshree Bharatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:09:29 -0600

Issue: Section 3.2 - The section doesn't talk about what happens when the
reply is lost between the FA and MN.

Proposal:

When Registration Reply is lost, as per RFC 3344 the Mobile Node will
perform retransmission. In this case, the challenge value will be the same
as sent in the original Registration Request message.

But the same scenario won't be treated as retransmission at the FA. The FA
has already sent the Registration Reply so if it receives another
Registration Request from the Mobile, it will be a new Registration Request
message with the previously used challenge. Hence, the foreign agent will
sent the error code PREVIOUSLY_USED_CHALLENGE (or whatever we agree for this
terminology) message with the new challenge value.

Thanks,

Jayshree

-----Original Message-----
From: Muhanna, Ahmad [RICH2:2Q20:EXCH] 
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 10:17 AM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Cc: 'Charlie Perkins'
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] RFC3012bis - Comments from ADs (Protocol related)

Please see comments inline. 

Regards; 
Ahmad Muhanna 

Non-editorial comments associated with RFC3012bis: 

Please post your comments with the appropriate issue number in the subject
line (instead of simply replying to this email).

-Chairs. 

6. The section doesn't talk about what happens when the reply is 
   lost between the FA and MN. 

RFC3344 (3220, 2002) does not talk about it either. 

Regards, 
Ahmad