Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push-to-Talk Systems

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:16:37 -0500

------- Original Message --------
   From: "Andrew Seybold" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Push-to-Talk Systems

An update from my perspective on the Push-to-Talk wars in the United States—I recently had
a briefing from Sonim, the company that is providing IP push-to-talk for Cingular and AT&T
Wireless over their GPRS networks. They claim that they WILL NOT be able to meet or beat
the Nextel set-up time, nor the Nextel direct connection conversation times—admitting that
these two carriers will not be going after the “blue collar” workforce that Nextel
provides services for. Rather these networks will be focusing on the families and others
who presently use both a cell phone and a Family Radio Service two-way service.

Trials to start in Q1 of 03 and roll-outs to be in Q3 or Q4

At least they are being honest about their ability to offer “real” PTT services—set up
times will be in the 3-8 second range but the will be offering a one-to-many PTT feature
that will leave a voice mail type of message for any number of users and the system will
show a “buddy list” of who is available.

Sprint PCS and Verizon are a different story—no concrete info here but higher ups in
Verizon say that they WILL be able to meet or beat Nextel’s set-up and usage times.

It is going to be an interesting next year!

Note: Our 12th annual Wireless Dinner at Comdex was huge success—however because of the
uncertainty of the status of the shows owners (Key3 Media) and their impending Chapter 11,
we have announced that the next Wireless Dinner will be held March 17th, the Monday of the
CTIA show in New Orleans. For details send me an email.

Andy Seybold

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/