Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: PSWN Meeting

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:00:17 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  PSWN Meeting
     To:

 In the words of my favorite Nextel ad, ding-ding-ding, Marge.  Standing on the shore and
watching all of the "critical infrastructure" players board the Titanic II (paid for by
Nextel) was entirely frustrating.  In the end, what has happened is that the CI groups are
so fractured that this once-formidable group has been decimated to a bunch that bickers,
complains, and yet does nothing about the Nextel fiasco in a concise, professional way.  I
could show you four nationally-recognized CI organizations who have decided to just say
"this isn't fair" and "we're not moving".  And when their members call me up (all the time
I might add) and ask me what to do for their utility's needs, I ask them to call their
national representation first.  Very often I hear, "we've already done that, and that's
why we're calling you".I remember sitting with Vinny Stile of Suffolk County on the
morning of February 19th in Baltimore, and explaining over a 45-minute discussion why
utilities/CI were affected so detrimentally by the White Paper.  He was surprised about
some of the issues I related to him, and a very good listener - and I hadn't realized then
that he was the morning's first speaker.  He talked about the needs of CI, and related a
true story I had told him about a lineman that died on the job due to inadequate
communications.  That was a bright day when it appeared that APCO understood that the
utilities are usually the second (and many times the first) on the scene in a disaster
situation, be it flood, tornado, hurricane, ice, or terrorism.  Why this was new news, I
have no idea. So, in the words of our moderator, I am positive that Nextel is banking on
"Nextel will have EVERYONE so damned confused, frustrated, and P.O'd with each other that
the end result will be a totally useless NON-solution."And that's sad.Todd Ellis

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:01:50 -0500

------- Original Message --------
   From: Richard Bomboy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:PSWN Meeting

All they are doing is keeping everyone focused on how they see the "fix"
to the problem they have caused instead of focusing on the fact they caused
it and THEY should be the ones to fix it by correction of their causation.

At 06:33 AM 11/1/02 +0000, you wrote:

>Geeez....by the time all this interference and rebanding stuff is
>FINALLY worked out -- if it ever is -- Nextel will have EVERYONE so
>damned confused, frustrated, and P.O'd with each other that the end
>result will be a totally useless NON-solution. Only then will we have
>a real consensus....which is, of course, exactly what Nextel wants.
>

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 16:36:19 -0500

Who hates Nextel?

I never heard anyone here say that......

-------- Original Message --------
   From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: PSWN Meeting

Actually, if people would take the opportunity to come out of their "I hate Nextel, so
anything Nextel wants, I'm against" shells