Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEW YORK - A powerful radio improvised from $1,000 worth of parts could help solve the widespread communication problems

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:32:41 -0500

Tue Nov 26, 1:23 PM ET

NEW YORK  - A powerful radio improvised from $1,000 worth of
parts could help solve the widespread communication problems linked
to firefighters' deaths in the World Trade Center collapse, fire
officials say.

The Fire Department is testing a prototype rigged from a personal-
watercraft battery, a camera case and other widely available parts
to correct high-rise communication problems that have vexed
firefighters for years.

The radios were built last spring by a captain in the department's
research and development unit. They worked so well in recent tests
that the Fire Department is expected soon to ask commercial
manufacturers to submit bids for a mass-produced version.

The experimental "post radios" — black boxes that are the size of a
big lunchbox and weigh about 20 pounds each — enable commanders to
transmit vital messages through dozens of floors of high-rise
buildings.

The radio has a larger battery and broadcasts a signal 10 times more
powerful than that of the handheld radios every firefighter carries.

"We like the concept. Everyone is very excited," department
spokesman Frank Gribbon said.

Normally commanders use handhelds to communicate with other
commanders and firefighters.

The more powerful radios could be used by commanders at the scene of
an emergency. A commander could use the radio to talk to another
commander elsewhere in a high-rise building. That commander could
then use his own powerful radio or his handheld to relay the message
to his firefighters.

The department has tried for years without success to guarantee that
radio transmissions can reach firefighters in high-rise buildings,
subway tunnels and other difficult locations.

It sent hundreds of new, digital handheld radios into the field in
early 2001 without extensive testing, only to pull them back later
in the year after reports of widespread problems and a mayday call
that went unheard during a Queens house fire.

Then, with the old analog radios back in use on Sept. 11, many
firefighters complained they never heard orders to evacuate the
trade center's north tower before it collapsed, killing more than
100 of their colleagues.

The cause of the trade center problems remains unclear. But the
Sept. 11 problems led to calls for the installation of signal-
boosting repeaters fixed in buildings and tunnels across New York.
It has become clear, officials say, that such a system would take
hundreds of millions of dollars and several years to install.

In the meantime, the improvised system, which could cost as little
as $50,000 to put in place citywide, has been performing well in
dozens of field tests and about half a dozen elaborate drills,
officials say.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/