Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New wireless patent puzzles

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:07:18 -0500

New wireless patent puzzles

A patent has been filed that suggests using different communications systems within a
network using different air interfaces, one for the connection to the network
infrastructure, and one for connecting to the terminals. Not much detail is provided, but
the patent abstract reads as follows...

"A wireless architecture is disclosed based on the use of two separate air interfaces on
two separate sets of uplinks and downlinks. In particular, the multiple air interface
architecture of the invention incorporates a re-radiator that employs two different air
interface protocols. One air interface protocol is used for "backhaul" reception and
transmission to the serving network base station, and is deployed between the fixed
network base station and the re-radiator. This air interface protocol is optimized for
transmission over a long distance and for sharing among multiple users. A second air
interface protocol is used for local re-radiation between the re-radiator and a served end
user device. This second air interface is optimized for very short distances. The
reradiator itself is placed at a fixed location allowing it to take advantage of antenna
directionality and antenna gain, and also to meet certain requirements regarding fixed
terminals."

We cannot help but wonder how this is different from an existing network using CDMA or GSM
to connect to handsets and microwave links between the base stations and their control
towers.

The patent can be read at US2002146980

Posted to the site on 22-Nov-02

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/