Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hill Heavyweights Preparing Their Own Spectrum Plan

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:25:22 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=108226&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search Wireless Week

Entire Site
Articles
Web-Exclusive
Archives
Companies
Products
Directories
Events

Archive Map

Tips

|  Archives  |  Events  |  Directories  |  Discussions  |  news@2direct®  |  Subscribe  |

You Are Here > Home
> Business and Finance >

Issues

Newsletter

news@2direct® Archive

Topics

Applications
Business and Finance
Global Regions
Industry Trends
Regulatory
Technology
Wireless Internet

Tools / Services

Archives

Capitol Hill Contacts

Directories

Events

Glossary

Industry Research

Industry Stocks

In-Stat Store

International Data

Product/Web Showcase

Show Dailies

Webcasts

Wireless 101

Web Directories

Associations
Carriers
Education
Government
Publishing
Research/Consultants
Vendors

Inside Wireless

Advertise - Web

Editorial Calendar

Print Subscription

Reprint Requests

Privacy Policy

Direct Marketing Lists

Business and Finance

Print

E-mail

Subscribe

Hill Heavyweights Preparing Their Own Spectrum Plan

By Mark Rockwell
November 22, 2002
news@2 direct

WASHINGTON--Despite the FCC's attempt to provide a
blueprint for future ways to harness spectrum, Congress apparently is preparing
its own vision of how the resource should be used.

There have been several indications in the last few weeks that Congress will
take up allocation and other spectrum-related issues in its next session. Sen.
John McCain, R.-Ariz., chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, has issued a
brief statement listing spectrum next to the financial crisis in telecom, FCC
re-authorization, broadband deployment and media consolidation as important
issues the committee would address in the 108th Congress.

McCain and spokespeople for the Commerce Committee didn't provide specifics
about when or how those issues would be addressed by the committee, however.

There also have been rumblings from Capitol Hill that Sen. Conrad Burns,
R-Mont., another key telecom character on the Senate Commerce Committee, is keen
on looking at 'major spectrum reform' legislation, say Capitol Hill sources. A
draft bill could incorporate measures aimed at new methods of selling spectrum
and how the revenue received from those sales is incorporated into the federal
budget, said a Senate aide familiar with spectrum issues.

Additionally, there also could be some effort to realign the spectrum
relationship between the FCC and NTIA, the aide says. Hearings could begin soon
after the beginning of the year.

Print

E-mail

Subscribe

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=story;verid=34;sz=468x60;ord=37582291728084480?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=story;verid=34;sz=468x60;ord=37582291728084480?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=story;verid=34;sz=468x60;ord=37582291728084480?" border=0 width="468" height="60"></A></noscript>

Welcome

Register / Log in
here for e-letters and other features.

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbutton;pos=1;lay=story;verid=34;sz=125x125;ord=3758229246764800?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbutton;pos=1;lay=story;verid=34;sz=125x125;ord=3758229246764800?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbutton;pos=1;lay=story;verid=34;sz=125x125;ord=3758229246764800?" border=0 width="125" height="125"></A></noscript>

Related Articles

AirBand Thrives Where Others Faltered

U.S. Cellular Launches In Chicago

Briefs

Stock Watch

Edit

Ticker

Last

Change

TDS

53.80

0.50

MTON

6.00

0.35

VOXX

10.25

0.35

CYCL

2.80

0.28

BLS

27.70

0.25

SBC

27.71

0.23

PCS

5.22

0.22

USM

29.20

0.20

AWE

7.85

0.19

LTBG

6.99

0.09

NASDAQ

1,468.74

1.19

DJIA

8,805.93

-39.22

S&P 500

930.55

-3.21

Industry Stocks

Data delayed at least 20 min.

Get Quote/Company Info

Ticker    Find symbol

Related Events

ProMat 2003

More >>

Wireless Home

About Us

Advertise

FAQs

Contact Us

Register/Log In

© 2002 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this Web site is subject to its Terms and Conditions of Use
Privacy Policy