Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Senators want 255 MHz of contiguous unlicensed spectrum below 6 GHz

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 03:34:48 -0500

Senators to Introduce
Wireless Broadband Bill

U.S. Senate
22-Nov-02

Senators Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and George Allen (R-VA) will
introduce a bill in the next Congress (the 108th) aimed at
accelerating the wireless broadband market. The proposed
legislation would require the FCC to make more broadcast spectrum
available for Wi-Fi and other such technologies. The Boxer-Allen
bill would also require the FCC to develop guidelines for the
expanded portion of the broadcast spectrum that will be used by
these devices to avoid signal congestion and interference.

http://boxer.senate.gov/newsroom/200211/20021121_tech.html

http://allen.senate.gov/PressOffice/wifi.pdf

Key points of the proposed Boxer-Allen "Jumpstart Broadband Act"

The FCC would allocate no less than 255 MHz of continuous spectrum
below 6 GHz for unlicensed use while ensuring
that Department of Defense devices and systems are not
compromised.

The FCC would be required adopt minimal technical and service
rules to facilitate efficient use of the spectrum.

The FCC would be required to amend rules to require that all
wireless broadband devices be designed and manufactured
to maximize spectral efficiency and to use the minimum power
necessary to provide broadband service and to minimize
interference.

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration
would be charged with establishing standards for interference
protection.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
·FREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:45:49 -0600

Very interesting ....

---

From: "arclight_arclight" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:48:10 -0000

> Very interesting ....
(snip)

Indeed.  Wonder if this is a trial balloon or is to be taken 
seriously?  If seriously, wonder what spectrum they have in mind?

Dave Maples

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:48:03 -0600

>seriously?  If seriously, wonder what spectrum they have in mind?
I don't know but I like the idea. I wonder if it is possible to resolve 
two conflicting ideas on spectrum. One idea (shared by some if not many) 
being that spectrum is a national resource to be held in trust. The 
other thought being that spectrum is a simple asset to be auctioned off 
and forgotten. The technology is here for a range of devices that 
negotiate and adapt to available bandwidth constraints - something like 
802.11 or Bluetooth (but with more channels). In this environment there 
is no technical need for operator licensing or frequency coordination 
(okay, type acceptance but that's it).

Yeah, I know - some folks might not like the idea of being told their 
livelihood may be obsolete.

The potential resolution for these two competing ideas is to give the 
"WiFi" crowd just enough spectrum (and just enough regulation) for it to 
survive and thrive. Natural selection ought to take care of the rest. 
The private interests that have invested in the spectrum lottery of the 
recent past can sink or swim on their own merits.

Regards,
Rick Parrish