Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Partnership for Public Warning advocates "all-hazard" public warning system]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:53:03 -0500

Report: 
Integrated warning 
system has merit

Nov. 25, 2002 
1:43 PM EST

WASHINGTON

A new report looks favorably at integrating wireless and other
technologies into a revamped all-hazard public warning system, a
proposal that comes as President Bush today signs into law sweeping
legislation creating the Department of Homeland Security. 

“The rapid increase in use of Internet, Internet protocol and wireless
communication devices opens many powerful possibilities,” stated the
Partnership for Public Warning 

http://www.partnershipforpublicwarning.org/ppw/index.html 

in a report released this morning. “With standard message protocol and a
reliable stream of messages, industry can evaluate the market potential
and use its originality and competitiveness to produce all types of
warnings.” 

PPW, comprised of individuals from government, academia and industry, is
the premier organization in the nation examining an overhaul of the
nation’s Emergency Alert System. PPW’s work has taken on greater urgency
in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. 

PPW, which anticipates becoming a federal advisory committee, will meet
next month in Emmitsburg, Md., to map out plans for crafting a national
plan for public warning. A draft report is expected to be out next
spring. Today’s recommendations and next April’s PPW draft report are
expected to carry weight with White House homeland security adviser Tom
Ridge, whom the president nominated today as the first secretary of the
new Department of Homeland Security. 

http://www.rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=6068

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/