Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Awarded Multi-Million Dollar Contract by Toshiba Providing Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation With TETRA Digital Communications

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:13:34 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-18-2002/0001843914&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Motorola Awarded Multi-Million Dollar Contract by Toshiba Providing Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation With TETRA Digital Communications

MOTOROLA LOGO

Motorola logo. (PRNewsFoto)[TC]

SCHAUMBURG, IL USA 03/07/2002

MOTOROLA LOGO

Motorola logo. (PRNewsFoto)[JL]

SCHAUMBURG, IL USA 04/15/2002

SINGAPORE, Nov. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Motorola (NYSE: MOT) has been
awarded a multi-million dollar contract by Toshiba to provide a digital
communications system for the Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation. This system
marks the world's first TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) contract for the
high-speed rail industry and the first TETRA contract in the Republic of
Taiwan for Motorola.
Motorola's suite of TETRA-compliant offerings is called Dimetra(TM).
Motorola will provide a Dimetra system that will bring the latest in digital
communication to Taiwan High Speed Rail's entire 345km track including
tunnels, train stations and depots as well as high-speed trains plying at
300km/h.
"It was Motorola's strong TETRA leadership in the mission-critical rail
sector and the company's established experience and expertise in digital
communication solutions that led us to select Motorola as our communication
partner for this project," said Takatsugu Yamaya, Project Manager, Taiwan
Shinkansen Project Team, Toshiba Corporation.
"We are confident of this partnership and are pleased to work with
Motorola -- a company which has amassed an excellent track record in providing
TETRA systems for rail, light rail and subways in China, Hong Kong SAR,
Malaysia, Singapore and India," he added.
Motorola's Dimetra system will address all of Taiwan High Speed Rail's
operational and functional requirements -- providing seamless voice and data
services; enabling Taiwan High Speed Rail to benefit from enhanced
communication reliability and clarity; resulting in better control and
management of its daily operations.
Used primarily by the railway's dispatchers and train service controllers
to ensure a safe environment for better co-ordination and monitoring of
passenger train fleets and maintenance personnel and equipment, Motorola's
Dimetra system will also integrate Computer-aided Dispatch technology and
failure monitoring, thereby facilitating efficient and reliable dispatch
operations for passenger trains and maintenance vehicles.
In addition, Motorola's Dimetra system will also cater for better handling
of emergency situations.
"Motorola is honoured to have been awarded the contract for the Taiwan
High Speed Rail Corporation -- marking the world's first TETRA contract for
the high speed rail industry. This is a testament of Motorola's leadership in
the rail industry and the trust our customers have in our solutions for
demanding applications," said Balbir Singh, Senior Director, Business
Development and Operations, Motorola Commercial, Government and Industrial
Solutions Sector Asia Pacific.
"We look forward to our partnership with Toshiba as we provide a state-of-
the-art digital communications system that is instrumental for greater
efficiency and safety for the Taiwan High Speed Rail Project," Mr. Singh
added.
Motorola is a leading provider of TETRA solutions around the world with
more than 55 contracts and operational trials in 30 countries.

Forefront of High Speed Rail Communications
Motorola is leading the way for digital communications in the high speed
rail industry; having been awarded all of the high speed rail contracts issued
in Asia to date.
In addition to the recent award for the Taiwan High Speed Rail project,
Motorola is currently implementing a US$73.5M digital communications system
for the Korea High Speed Rail Construction Authority.

Motorola's TETRA Leadership in Transportation
In Asia, Motorola has over 90% of the major TETRA rail contracts with
milestone wins in China, Hong Kong SAR, India, Malaysia, Singapore and
Republic of Taiwan.
Motorola also scored many firsts in TETRA transportation contracts:

+ World's first TETRA contract for High-Speed Rail - Taiwan High Speed
Rail Project (Republic of Taiwan)
+ World's first operational TETRA system for rail - Express Rail Link
(Malaysia)
+ First 800MHz commercial TETRA contract in Asia - Kowloon-Canton Rail
Corporation West Rail (Hong Kong SAR)
+ First 800 MHz TETRA contract in mainland China for Guangzhou Metro
+ First TETRA contract in India - Delhi Metro
+ Largest Mass Rapid Transit TETRA contract in Asia - Singapore Mass
Rapid Transit
+ First TETRA Bus Application in Asia - Land Transport Authority
(Singapore)

About Motorola
Motorola's Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector designs,
manufactures and distributes analogue and digital two-way voice and data radio
products and systems for applications worldwide, from on-site to wide-area
communications.
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in providing integrated
communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2001 were $30
billion. More company information on CGISS Asia Pacific is available at
http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/AP.

About TETRA
TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA) is an open digital trunked radio
standard defined by the European Telecommunications Standardisation Institute
(ETSI) to meet the needs of the most demanding professional mobile radio
users.

MOTOROLA and the stylized M Logo are registered in the US Patent &
Trademark Office. All other product or service names are the property of their
respective owners.

SOURCE Motorola, Inc.

Web Site: http://www.motorola.com

Photo Notes: NewsCom:
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020307/MOTLOGO
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020415/MOTNOTAGLOGO AP
Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org PRN Photo Desk,
+1-888-776-6555 or
+1-212-782-2840

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.