Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News & Analysis 4Mobility - 8 November 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:16:30 -0500

Today's Topics:

1. Smart Antennas Expand Wi-Fi Coverage From 100 Meters To Over A Kilometer
2. RIM Makes A Smart Move--Licensing
3. Sendo Drops Microsoft's Smartphone 2002 (a.k.a. Stinger)
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smart Antennas Expand Wi-Fi Coverage From 100 Meters To Over A Kilometer

If Vivato can deliver on its technology promise at the right price point, the company
could change the economics of the Wi-Fi industry for public networks and large enterprises
and the Vivato architecture could change the dynamics of the industry and todays leaders
in Wi-Fi networking. Vivato claims that one of its switches can replace 10 to 30
traditional access points. Smart antenna technology for Wi-Fi certainly could and I
believe it will eventually have a significant effect on Wi-Fi economics and public network
rollouts.

The News [Image]

Antenna System Is Said to Expand Wireless Internet Use
By John Markoff, New York Times

 A start-up company ... says can expand the limits of a popular wireless Internet format,
providing access to hundreds or even thousands of portable computer users at distances of
more than 2,000 feet within buildings and about four miles outdoors. Vivato's antenna is
meant to be placed in the corner of a large office and used to provide wireless service
throughout a building. In contrast to many other companies that are trying to extend the
range of 802.11 by creating meshes of access points, Vivato takes a more centralized
approach by transmitting a series of beams from the antenna.

More @
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/04/technology/04WIRE.html?ex=1037077200&en=73fe9678f9ef80d6&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIM Makes A Smart Move--Licensing

Although it is extremely difficult for a company with the majority of its revenue tied to
hardware make the move to software and services, it is a smart move for RIM. Today, RIM
has the leading software technology platform for wireless email; but, keeping it tied to
RIM's hardware will eventually and significantly hurt RIM. For example, recently Good
Technology licensed its wireless email platform to PalmSource. For RIM to avoid what
happened to Apple it needs to license its platforms to the big device manufactures.
Although, it could be hard on RIM's revenue figures, I think it is the right move for the
company and it shareholders.

The News [Image]

Nokia to integrate RIM software
By Margaret Kane Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Cell phone maker Nokia will license some of the software behind Research In Motion's
BlackBerry devices... The deal will let Nokia use and distribute certain BlackBerry
technology, including wireless e-mail, on a global basis.

More @ http://news.com.com/2100-1040-965041.html?tag=cd_mh
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sendo Drops Microsoft's Smartphone 2002 (a.k.a. Stinger)

Sendo decides to drop Microsoft's Stinger and decides to embrace Symbian using Nokia's UI
and other enhancements. The unanswered question is: is this a Microsoft Platform or a
Sendo problem? Its probably a bit of both but mostly Sendo's problem. It appears that
Sendo has had trouble selling its product in Europe. Losing the deal to High Tech
Corporation (HTC) for the Orange SPV Smartphone certainly didn't help. HTC has a lot of
experience building PocketPCs (it has been building Compaq's iPAC) for years. HTC was also
the T-Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition product brought out earlier in the year in the U.S. It
appears that Sendo needs a more developed platform so going with Nokia's Symbian-based
Series 60 makes sense. Microsoft will continue to pour money into the wireless device
space. HTC and Samsung have proven track records in building good devices and are good
first starts for Microsoft. Moore's Law is on Microsoft's side.

The News [Image]

Sendo dumps Microsoft - moves to Symbian
By Cellular-News

 The UK based cell phone manufacturer, Sendo has decided to drop its Microsoft smartphone
 and license Nokia's Symbian based Series 60 Platform. Sendo explained that the ability to
 get access to the Nokia Series 60 source code, and hence customise it was a major factor
      in its decision to go with that software. The Microsoft smartphone OS cannot be
  customised. Sendo has been promising the Microsoft based Z100 handset for much of this
 year, but it has been repeatedly subjected to delays - usually blamed on software delays
                                       at Microsoft.