Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Comdex's Secure Side

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:49:12 -0500

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2002/tc20021125_8887.htm
--

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search

Advanced Search

Recent Tech Features

Tech Special Reports

E.Biz

Product Reviews

Internet Security

Science & Health

Tech Columns

Customer Service

Contact Us

Advertising

Media Kit

Special Ad Sections

Conferences

Permissions & Reprints

Marketplace

NOVEMBER 25, 2002

SECURITY FOCUS

Comdex's Secure Side

A sampling of the information security products on the menu at Comdex

Printer-Friendly Version

E-Mail This Story

Security Focus Archive

•
Find More Stories Like This

Will Wal-Mart Take Over the World?

Chipmaking's Uneven Recovery

Retailers' Grim Holiday Tidings

The Toy That's Leaping Off the Shelves

A Therapeutic Passion for Fashion

Pirates at the Naval Academy?

Some Simple Solutions to Identity Theft

Biting the Invisible Hand

The Moving Images of an Urban Auteur

The Melting Pot Keeps Housing Hot

Marching to a Muddle of Mixed Signals

Stress: Is It Getting to You?

That's Giving Them an Earful, Eliot

Citi: Time for a Succession Plan

Analysts' Woes Take a French Twist

My Car: The Key to Highway

Health-Care Stocks' Poor Prognosis

Managed Care: Taking a Breather?

Who Is Wen Jiabao?

Cost-Cutting Worked at Telecom Italia...

Ready to Ride the Updraft?

Strong Signals from ADI

• More Headlines

Comdex Fall 2002 was far from previous year's heights, but still
continues to function as a smorgasbord for the information technology world.
No surprise, then, that some security companies were there serving up
products.

At the same time, Comdex failed to draw many of the major security vendors.
While the pickings were slim, some of them might prove interesting.

Zone Labs introduced version 2.0 of its Integrity enterprise security
product. The firewall and administration tool now blocks "spyware"
components, and beefs up data port management features. But primarily the
administrative tools are now easier to use, and the product is easier to
install.

Interactive Technologies Inc. released version 3 of Instan-T, which
secures all forms of instant messaging within corporate environments. The
new version supports more IM clients, encrypts all communications within an
IM environment, including file transfers, and better communications inside
the firewall. Base price for server-and-client license costs $30 per user.
www.interactiveni.com.

SentryBay's ViraLock prevents Outlook and Outlook Express from sending
out viruses. It encrypts e-mail addresses in the programs so that viruses
can't replicate themselves. The product costs $19.95. A corporate version is
under development, for release in 2003. www.viralock.com or www.sentrybay.com.

Sychip released a network interface card aimed at securing wireless
LANs. Its 6060SDIO card is targeted at PDAs, smart phones and point of sale
terminals that use 802.11b. Cyberbank, a South Korean PDA maker, said it
would integrate the new card into its POZ handheld in Korea. www.sychip.com

Nextel, EDS and Sun announced a Sun One security portal template, aimed
at encouraging corporations to allow employees with Java-enabled Nextel
devices to access corporate information and databases.

SentryBay's ViraLock was the product that most impressed Norbert J. Kubilus,
a partner at Tatum CIO Partners, Inc., the nation's largest provider of
technology management services. "There's a lot of fifth and sixth-tier
vendors here, but that one's real," he said, citing the market need and the
company's pending process patent, which should help it fend off competition.
He thinks SentryBay was smart to start with a consumer product, since
corporations dislike buying products from unproven companies.

"The issue is always, do they have staying power?" he said.

Comdex typically features several small companies making outsized claims in
an effort to get press attention. Even in this slimmed-down Comdex, that was
true. In the security space, it was Stealth Media Labs, which said it has a
way to prevent movies and music from being copied illegally.

Stealth's timing, at least, was good. Intellectual property issues were the
subject of hot debate at Comdex, both on panels and in keynotes. Filmmaker
George Lucas even got up during the keynote by News Corp. President and COO
Peter Chernin and talked about the cost of piracy. It's individual
entertainers, not entertainment companies, that stand to lose the most from
rampant content piracy, Lucas insisted. "Corporations are like cockroaches,"
he said. "They'll survive everything."

By Michael Fitzgerald

Click to buy an e-print or reprint of a BusinessWeek or BusinessWeek Online story.

To subscribe online to BusinessWeek magazine, please click here.

NOVEMBER

DJIA

8931.68

+255.20

Nasdaq

1487.94

+43.51

S&P 500

938.87

+25.56

Create / Check Portfolio

Launch Popup Ticker

Stock Lookup

Enter name or ticker

Copyright 2002, by The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy