Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Competitors PTT and Nextel's Business Plan

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 18:19:43 -0500

From:  "rf_nomad" <nevergroup@h...>
Date:  Mon Nov 4, 2002  2:05 pm
Subject:  Competitors PTT and Nextel's Business Plan

 new to posting but, have enjoyed watching the informative dialog.

being in the technical realm i track what's going on with the various
wireless carriers and technologies. recently learned that sprint has
been demonstrating (to potential customers) their PTT offering. the
setup time was documented at less than 2sec. i don't know other
specifics about audio quality or the test environment.

my question is to those of you with the business/finance/investing
savy, does this pose a significant risk to nextel's business plan?
assuming sprint launches a 2sec delay product in Q4 and goes on to
match DC (<.5sec) in say 6mo., does this mean TD needs to change some
things quick, or is it status quo for now.

it seems to me a downward trend in ARPU would be inevitable. i know n
has the 1/2 rate vocoder coming which will save capital; is this
enough to offset a decrease in arpu and keep the stock going up. n
will still need to spend a significant amount of capital to match the
footprint of verizon and aws.

long on nextel but getting nervous with the differentiation piece
potentially erroding.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "meijin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:50:39 -0600

Sprint has been saying this for quite some time...but I know that the lag time in PTT call setup is MUCH greater that 2 seconds in the real world and that is for call setup in the same market. When you take it outside of the market, it gets to be HUGE. Winphoria still has lot of bugs to work out.

There's more to the market than PTT and starting in January, it should be an interesting year.

Mike

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 13:36:30 -0000

I am certainly no marketing expert but I do read alot, and follow 
the cellular industry very closely. As a nextel customer it seems to 
me that the biggest issue with leaving nextel for another carrier 
upon the deployment of a PTT product is the loss of contact with 
your other nextel customers-friends who use nextel DC. There is no 
interoperablility between say sprint and nextel PTT products. IF I 
use 3000 mins a month on DC and change to sprint, that means I now 
have to use 3000 mins of cell time to carry on business in the same 
fashion. Nextels concern should likely be with whole business 
accounts who make a change to say sprint, which would limit their 
loss of contacts utilizing PTT. In my humble opinion nextels hold on 
the PTT market is stronger than they think. There will be some 
drifting to other carriers as PTT is deployed and some will return 
to nextel realizing the inconvience of cell calling everyone they 
once used DC to contact. 
With other carriers on the verge of PTT deployment Nextel should get 
nationwide DC out ASAP! it will solidify their PTT standing with 
large national corperations who use nextels products and services 
and who pay them big bucks on a monthly basis!
Just my thoughts 
Mike
Oxford GA

--- In NEXTEL-1@y..., "meijin" <meijin@b...> wrote:
> Sprint has been saying this for quite some time...but I know that 
the lag time in PTT call setup is MUCH greater that 2 seconds in the 
real world and that is for call setup in the same market. When you 
take it outside of the market, it gets to be HUGE. Winphoria still 
has lot of bugs to work out.