Subject: [mobile-ip] Mipv6 issue #183: Back-off retransmission for MPS

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:02:57 +0200

First, I broke some of the not-so-editorial issues from Thomas'
long e-mail into separate issues so we can resolve and track
them. See http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/MIPv6-Issues.html

Then to the one of the new issues, #183. This one is Thomas'
complaint that MPS messages should not reuse the fixed retransmission
from on-link RS messages. Instead, an exponential back-off scheme
should be applied.

I agree. I think we should use the same retransmission scheme for RR, BUs
and MPSes. All these appear to have a network to get through.

In Section 11.4.2, let's delete

    This solicitation follows the same retransmission rules specified for
    Router Solicitations [12], except that the initial retransmission
    interval is specified to be INITIAL_SOLICIT_TIMER (see Section 12).

In Section 11.8, let's add Mobile Prefix Solication to the list of
messages. Let's keep INITIAL_SOLICIT_TIMER but change its name to
INITIAL_MPS_TIMEOUT.

Jari