Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Nov. 19, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:12:34 -0500

You'll recall Modesto (Calif.) Police Sgt. Steve May, who was critically injured last July
during a pursuit, and who was played scanner radio broadcasts in the hope it would hasten
his recovery. Now we've received a very inspirational and touching message about Sgt. May,
which we've posted as our official "Thanksgiving Message." Check the home page for the
link.

--------------------------
NENA announced that it has submitted 30 pages of joint comments (with APCO and NASNA) on
consultant Dale Hatfield's report to the FCC on wireless E911. The comments affirmed many
of Hatfield's observations and suggestions, NENA says, and included further discussion
about the need for a National 911 Program Office, increased FCC oversight of wireless E911
and the improved coordination of 911 directives with interested federal and state
agencies. We've posted a link to the comments on our FCC page.

--------------------------
Shelby Township (Mich.) has joined the state-wide 800 MHz trunked radio system, spending
$700,000 to upgrade its Motorola gear: 57 Astro XTS3000 portables and 42 Astro Spectra
mobiles, controlled from a 4-position Centracom Gold Series console. The digital radio
system will serve the township's (pop. 65,000) police and fire departments. 

--------------------------
According to documents filed with the FCC, New York City, "continues to experience
substantial commercial interference to its public safety communications in the 800 MHz
band." City officials met with FCC staff and again asked them not to adopt any 800 MHz
band realignment without identifying money to cover government implementation of any
frequency reassignments, and insuring reliable communications during the realignment. NYC
officials used the word "commercial" to describe the source of interference, but the
obvious culprit is Nextel.

--------------------------
More Phase II progress: the Cook County (Ill.) Sheriff's Police has added Nextel to its
list of carriers offering wireless E911 locating services. The Nextel system features
"rebidding," which allows the calltaker to requery the caller's handset to obtain an
updated location. The only other Phase II carrier, Verizon, provides the caller's location
only at the time of dialing. Of course, Nextel customers need to use the new i88s handset
in order to be located. Good luck finding the phone-- even Nextel's on-line store doesn't
carry the handset.

--------------------------
Northumbria (England) Police will be the next force to begin using Airwave, Britain's $4.6
billion national emergency radio system that will eventually link 53 agencies on the
island. The system now handles about 30,000 radios from 7 police forces, the British
Transport Police and Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service. Another 25 police forces will
come on-line during the next 12 months, including the London Metropolitan Police late next
year.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/