Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Nov. 27, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:44:08 -0500

APCO has selected Dec. 7th to generate a one-day snapshot of problems that America's
public safety comm centers are having with PBX systems and 911. The association says it's
working on legislation that would require location information be transmitted from phones
dialing 911 behind a PBX, "But we need your help!" They ask dispatchers to notify them of
"9-1-1 calls from a PBX where the absence of proper location information delayed an
emergency response." They provided a form in their current monthly magazine to fax the
date and time of the incident, PSAP name, city and state, and incident details (but not
exact ANI/ALI) to:

(386) 322-2501 fax

--------------------------
The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety awarded Intergraph Public Safety (IPS) a $1.5
million contract for CAD, police records management, in-field reporting and mobile data.
Yes, the DPS is an one of those rare, integrated, cross-trained organization that handles
law enforcement and fire protection for 80,000 residents.

--------------------------
America Online has already signed up 70,000+ subscribers to receive AMBER Alerts via their
choice of e-mail, on-screen alert or text page to a wireless phone or pager. Now, AOL has
expanded the service to include its 180 million Instant Messager users and general
Internet users.

--------------------------
A big contract in Milwaukee (Wisc.): CompuDyne business unit Tiburon has signed a $6.8
million deal for police CAD and records management, mobile mapping, AVL, and in-field
reporting. The mapping system will allow supervisors to view a map of the city on their
mobile laptop, with icons representing active incidents and the locations of patrol units.
The records system includes document and graphics scanning capabilities. System security
is provided by fingerprint devices. CAD is scheduled to go live in mid-2003, and the other
components by early 2004.

--------------------------
There's never enough good in-service training. It's a complaint the Hound frequently hears
from veteran dispatchers... now there's a solution. Tony Harrison at The Public Safety
Group has devised a monthly in-service training package: you sign up, and each month
you'll receive a packet of materials and a test that you can use for either roll-call or
more formal training sessions. For more info, surf:

http://www.publicsafetygroup.com/

--------------------------
The Honolulu Police Dept. will temporarily switch from digital to analog operation on
their $42 million Ericsson (now M/A-Com) radio system, which has had troubles in the past.
A software upgrade knocked the system off the air in early November, and now the system is
plauged with a whining noise. In a memo, Maj. Kenneth Simmons, who commands the
communications division, wrote the system would be used in analog mode, "until the digital
software becomes acceptable for our operations." Police officials said that none of the
problems creates an officer safety issue.

--------------------------
You Boston TV viewers must have great reception for WCVB-TV's digital signal, since there
is now a second public safety agency complaining to the FCC of interference to its radio
system. Ocean County (NJ) officials have met with FCC staff to say that certain
atmospheric conditions funnel the TV channel into their UHF radio system, some 300 miles
away. The county system uses 16 channel pairs in the 500 MHz band for public safety
operations. The county says that WUND in Columbia (NC) also inteferes with its signal.

--------------------------
Two New York City council members are putting together an ordinance that would require
owners of certain buildings to install in-building repeaters, helping to extend coverage
of the city's police and fire radio systems. Not a new idea! There are several cities with
such laws, some of which are posted on this commercial Web site:

http://www.rfsolutions.com/fcc.htm

--------------------------
Kudos to Georgetown (Mass.) police dispatcher Lucille Manning for listening to her scanner
off-duty, and overhearing some burglars using consumer-type two-way radios to coordinate a
downtown break-in. Manning telephoned a colleague at work, who alerted the on-duty officer
and state troopers, who found one suspect inside a getaway van. Get this! The troopers
then impersonated the suspect over his own radio, and reeled in two more suspects.
Firefighters provided a ladder, and the officers found evidence of a rooftop break-in at a
business.

--------------------------
Besides being picturesque, Santa Fe (NM) now has a consolidated, regional public safety
comm center using Motorola radio and Plant Equipment Inc. telephone gear. The $7.5 million
center handles dispatching for Santa Fe County Fire, Santa Fe County Sheriff, and Santa Fe
City police, fire and government agencies. A 1999 bus crash focused the county on
integrated communications. The center features 12 consoles (10 with VESTA), and a merger
of the city's Smartnet trunked system with the county's conventional analog system to
create a regional network.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/