Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] RFC3012bis - Comments from ADs (Protocol related) (ISSUE 10)

From: "Jayshree Bharatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:38:53 -0600

The following updates are incorporated in RFC3012bis for issue 10:
 
1. Update reference 7 to RFC 3344 in "Reference" section.
2. Replce the existing text with the new text mentioned below. The actual
issue is for section 3.4. Having reference of RFC 3344 in section 3 will
cover all its subsections.
 
Existing text (section 3)
This section describes modifications to the Mobile IP registration process
which may occur after the Foreign Agent issues a Mobile IP Agent
Advertisement containing the Challenge on its local link.  See appendix C
for a diagram showing the canonical message flow for messages related to the
processing of the Foreign Agent challenge values
 
New text (section 3)
This section describes modifications to the Mobile IP registration process
[7] which may occur after the Foreign Agent issues a Mobile IP Agent
Advertisement containing the Challenge on its local link.  See appendix C
for a diagram showing the canonical message flow for messages related to the
processing of the Foreign Agent challenge values
 
Any comments?
 
Thanks,
Jayshree

-----Original Message-----
From: Bharatia, Jayshree [RICH1:2H13:EXCH] 
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 12:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: 'Charlie Perkins'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] RFC3012bis - Comments from ADs (Protocol related)
(ISSUE 10)

Hello all,
 
The current text in RFC3012 Bis draft discusses only additional
Mobile-Foreign Challenge extension processing details and doesn't have
reference to the checks done by the HA. I guess same comment is also true
for section 3.3. I like to propose the following two options:
 
Note that reference 7 will be changed to RFC3344 (instead of RFC 3320).
 
Option 1: Include the following text in the beginning of the section 3
(Operation) and add a reference RFC 3344. In this way, we don't need to
specify the same in each sub-section of section 3. 
 
Existing Text
This section describes modifications to the Mobile IP registration process
which may occur after the Foreign Agent issues a Mobile IP Agent
Advertisement containing the Challenge on its local link.  See appendix C
for a diagram showing the canonical message flow for messages related to the
processing of the Foreign Agent challenge values.
 
New Text
This section describes modifications to the Mobile IP registration process
defined in [7] when the Registration Request is received with the
Mobile-Foreign Challenge Extension from the Mobile Node. The Mobile Node may
decide to include Mobile-Foreign Challenge Extension when the Foreign Agent
issues a Mobile IP Agent Advertisement containing the challenge on its local
link. See appendix C for a diagram showing the canonical message flow for
messages related to the processing of the Foreign Agent challenge values
 
Option 2: Only update section 3.4 to include reference to RFC 3344.
 
Existing Text
If the Home Agent receives a Registration Request with the Mobile-Foreign
Challenge extension, and recognizes the extension, the Home Agent MUST
include the Challenge extension in the Registration Reply. The Challenge
Extension MUST be placed after the Mobile-Home authentication extension, and
the extension SHOULD be authenticated by a Foreign-Home Authentication
extension
 
New Text
This section describes modifications to the Mobile IP registration process
defined in [7] when the Registration Request is received with the
Mobile-Foreign Challenge Extension from the Mobile Node. If the Home Agent
receives a Registration Request with the Mobile-Foreign Challenge extension,
and recognizes the extension, the Home Agent MUST include the Challenge
extension in the Registration Reply. The Challenge Extension MUST be placed
after the Mobile-Home authentication extension, and the extension SHOULD be
authenticated by a Foreign-Home Authentication extension.

Please let me know which option is preferred.

Thanks,

Jayshree

-----Original Message-----
From: Muhanna, Ahmad [RICH2:2Q20:EXCH] 
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 10:50 AM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Cc: 'Charlie Perkins'
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] RFC3012bis - Comments from ADs (Protocol related)
(ISSUE 10)

Please see comments inline. 

Regards; 
Ahmad Muhanna 

Non-editorial comments associated with RFC3012bis: 

Please post your comments with the appropriate issue number in the subject
line (instead of simply replying to this email).

-Chairs. 

10. Section 3.4 

    The section doesn't specify what checks the HA does on the received 
    registration request; it just specifies what it needs to put in 
    the reply. 

In other words, this RFC does not introduce any extra checking on the
received RRQ message 
other than recognizing the MN-FA Challenge extension and what already exist
in all other 
related standards, especially RFC 3344 (3220, 2002). 

I do not see any problem with this. 

Regards, 
Ahmad