Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UTC up-date

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:28:34 -0500

November 14, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

800 MHz Plan Gets Further Discussion

Outstanding issues of the "consensus" plan in the 800 MHz interference proceeding are
being ironed out by the parties. At a Washington industry meeting, speakers discussed
issues including: funding arrangements to cover the relocation and retuning expenses of
public safety and private wireless incumbents, a draft of technical rules regarding
interference, and the treatment of licensees along the Mexican and Canadian borders to
ensure that U.S. treaties with those countries were not violated. If funding is not fully
covered, representatives of both private wireless and public safety express a concern that
the consensus would fall apart. 

APCO attorney Robert M. Gurss stated that public safety incumbents would prefer to have no
funding cap so that "running out of money" would not be a problem. A Nextel representative
said that the company's Board would know before an anticipated supplemental filing is
submitted to the FCC whether or not Nextel would cover all the expenses of the rebanding
proposal. Regarding technical issues, Allan Tilles, an attorney representing PCIA, noted
that the group has solicited views of those in opposition of the plan, including UTC and
Southern LINC. UTC's 800 MHz technical subcommittee has held an additional conference call
meeting, and further technical information is being forwarded to the coalition. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And You Thought It Was Finished... 

An audit of frequencies below 512 megahertz is nearing completion by the Public Safety and
Private Wireless Division of the FCC's Wireless Telecommunications Bureau. At an industry
meeting, PSPWD chief D'wana Terry stated that officials in charge of the audit were taking
care to protect people's rights through this process; the agency will probably begin
involuntary license cancellations in the first quarter of 2003. 

Concerning other proceedings, the Division is working to respond to petitions to
reconsideration of the FCC's decision in a proceeding involving 27 MHz of spectrum
transferred from government to non-government use, as well as proceedings on the mandatory
migration to narrowband equipment in the refarmed bands and the development of a low-power
pool for land mobile licensees. 

http://www.utc.org/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**HTML and Embedded Graphic Posts Discouraged - Plain Text Please**
 
Long Island ScanCom, your primary source for Tri-State DXing info. 

To Post A Message to the ScanCom List : [email-masked]

To Unsubscribe From ScanCom - Send a Blank E-Mail to: 
[email-masked] 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
·FREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/