Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NYFD-Uniformed Fire Officers Association On Handie-Talkies

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:12:27 -0500

10/10/02

Handie-Talkies: The Department is continuing the pilot program on Staten Island. We are
still attending drills on the weekends. In addition to the Staten Island pilot program,
the Department is testing portable repeaters and the NYPD repeater system. These are
things that were never considered in the past. I want the membership to know that Chief
Cassano is now in charge of the project. Testing is being done by uniformed members. There
is still a lot of work to be done, but for this first time issues of hi-rise buildings,
subways and below ground communications are being addressed.

Motorola is not manufacturing parts for our old radios. Please notify us if you do not
have a full compliment of radios.

http://www.ufoa.org/prez/2002/gmm1002.html#three
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Homepage

Presidents
Report

January 2002

February
2002

March
2002

April
2002

May
2002

June
2002

July
2002

September
2002

October
2002

Uniformed
Fire Officers Association

Local 854 , I.A.F.F. , AFL-CIO

"In
Unity There Is Strength"

UFOA
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING

October 10, 2002

President's
Report

Table
of Contents

UFA
Rally

McKinsey
Report

Handie-Talkies

Volunteers
Needed for Mask Service Unit

FDNY
Memorial Service

Retention

Reinstatement
as per AUC 193

Companies
out of Service

Angel
Shirt

Overtime
Average

Uniform
Vacancy Report

Judicial
Proceedings

Other
Proceedings

Administrative
Fire Marshall's Arbitration

UFA
Rally: The UFA will hold a rally this Friday, October 11th from
12 to 2PM at Central Park, 97th Street and 5th Avenue (enter at East
98th Street and 5th Avenue). The UFA is holding the rally in their efforts
to secure a new contract. The UFOA has a contract at this time so we
are not officially joining the rally. However, all UFOA members are
invited to attend this rally to support and show solidarity for the
UFA. President Gorman will join UFA President Steve Cassidy on the stage
supporting our brother and sister firefighters of the UFA.

to top

McKinsey
Report: The UFOA testified twice before City Council this past month
on the McKinsey Report and interagency cooperation. A complete text
of our September 16th and October 8th responses is on our website.

It is interesting
to note that the McKinsey Reports recommends that the FDNY embrace the
Incident Command System. However, the report prepared for the NYPD makes
no reference to ICS. We have learned that the NYPD has no intention
of embracing any unified command system. I pointed out in my testimony
that New York State Executive Order #26 mandates the National Interagency
Incident Management System (NIMS) as the Incident Command System for
New York State.

to top

Handie-Talkies:
The Department is continuing the pilot program on Staten Island.
We are still attending drills on the weekends. In addition to the Staten
Island pilot program, the Department is testing portable repeaters and
the NYPD repeater system. These are things that were never considered
in the past. I want the membership to know that Chief Cassano is now
in charge of the project. Testing is being done by uniformed members.
There is still a lot of work to be done, but for this first time issues
of hi-rise buildings, subways and below ground communications are being
addressed.

Motorola
is not manufacturing parts for our old radios. Please notify us if you
do not have a full compliment of radios.

to top

Volunteers
Needed for Mask Service Unit: The Mask Service Unit is looking for
one Captain or Battalion Chief and three Lieutenants for long-term assignment
to the MSU. Members may be full or light duty. The job offers flexible
work schedule, choice of vacation and weekends off. Ten firefighters
are also needed to work as technicians. If the Department cannot fill
these vacancies they will civilianize the entire operation and contract
out to Scott. We do not want this to happen. Please contact Captain
Jim Carpenter at MSU for an interview, (212) 860-9250.

to top

FDNY
Memorial Service: Will be held on Saturday, October 12th at 10 AM
in Madison Square Garden. The ceremony is cosponsored by the IAFF, the
UFA and the UFOA. This event will honor all line of duty firefighter
death for the last 2 years. The service is long overdue and hopefully
will bring a measure of peace and comfort to the families of fallen
firefighters. All off duty members are urged to attend this service
as a sign of respect for our fallen brothers. There will also be 20-80
thousand visiting firefighters from all over the world in New York City
paying their respects to our fallen members. I ask all fire officers
to extend our visitors every courtesy. The nations firefighters have
supported us in every way possible in the past year.

to top

Retention:
As mandated by the membership we placed ads in the NY Times, Daily News,
NY Post, and Newsday on Friday, September 27th. We also ran an ad in
the Chief on October 4th. Next week Susan Sarandon will run a series
of ads on 1010 WINS radio. We followed up our ads with a news conference
and received excellent media coverage.

City Hall
has not changed their mind on this issue. No member should be under
the impression that a retention bill will become a reality.

to top

Reinstatement as per AUC 193: We sent a letter to all members with
20 years or more of service, and members who retired since 1/1/02. According
to PA/ID 1-93, retired members may apply for reinstatement. We did no
have any expectations that the Commissioner would utilize this provision;
our intent was to put him on official notice of exactly how many members
were willing to stay on the job.

We have
received several inquiries from our members concerning disability retirements.
Members who are applying for disability retirement will not be considered
for retention. A member who is reinstated and locks in his or her pension
and subsequently is injured in the line of duty presents a legal problem.
There is no a specific reference in the law regarding this issue. We
have asked our council and Corporation Council for an opinion. We don't
have an answer for you at this time.

Companies
out of Service: Attached to the presidents report are the phone
numbers of every community board and City Councilmember. When companies
go out of service for any reason (training, medicals, PMP etc.) a phone
call should be made to the community board and any Council Member representing
that community board. We have difficult times ahead of us. It is imperative
that we notify elected officials when fire protection in their communities
is compromised. Please be specific when you call that fire protection
is being compromised in their neighborhoods.

to top

Angel
Shirt: A Yonkers Firefighter, Jeff Campion, from Engine 303 in Yonkers
has been selling shirts depicting and angel on a firefighter's shoulder.
On the back of the shirt it reads, "All Gave Some, Some Gave All."
Jeff has probably sold more then ten thousand of these shirts, with
all the proceeds going to legitimate New York City Fire Department Charities.
He will be selling these shirts at the muster site for the out of town
Departments on October 12th. If you encounter Jeff on October 12th remember
he is doing something beneficial for our families and us.

to top

Overtime
Average

as of September 14, 2002

Captain

Hours

Lieutenant

Hours

SOC

182

SOC

254

Div
1

186

Div
1

242

Div
3

180

Div
3

276

Div
6

239

Div
6

201

Div
7

271

Div
7

225

Div
8

238

Div
8

393

Div
11

246

Div
11

335

Div
13

196

Div
13

284

Div 14

222

Div
14

281

Div
15

253

Div
15

331

AVERAGE

221

AVERAGE

282

to top

Uniform
Vacancy Report

(Effective October 7, 2002)

Last
# reached

Lieutenant

-67

List
Expired

SFM

01

016

Captain

-19

List
Expired

Battalion
Chief

20

101

Deputy
Chief

12

List
Expired

DAC

01

AC

-01

Asst.
Ch. FM

00

Chief
Fire Marshal

00

to top

Judicial
Proceedings

Chief
Officer Broadbanding : The City has applied for leave to appeal
to the New York Court of Appeals (the highest state court). We responded
and are awaiting a decision.

WTC
Overtime Grievance : Alan Viani has been designated as the arbitrator,
and he has contacted us and OLR to schedule the hearing.

Holiday
Pay Arbitration: Hearings were conducted on September 5 and will
continue on October 29.

Other
Proceedings - We met with OLR and the Department and had a follow-up
meeting with the Department to address the following longstanding Improper
Practices:

Meal-Time
Injuries Improper Practice

Commander
Improper Practice

Educational
Requirements for Promotion Improper Practice

Headquarters
Security Card Access Improper Practice

Work Chart
Improper Practice

MRI Location
IP

High-Rise
Inspection Unit Improper Practice

Executive
Officers Improper Practice

to top

Administrative Fire Marshall's Arbitration: Due to the Department's
failure to implement the arbitration award, we have moved in the New
York Supreme Court to enforce it.

The Department
has tentatively agreed to settle the Meal-Time Injuries case and is
discussing settlement of the Educational Requirements case. We agreed
that the Security Card Access and Work Chart cases are now moot.

to top

Community
Boards and City Council Members

MANHATTAN

CB

CB
phone #

Councilmember

Councilmember
phone Number

1

212-442-5050

Alan
J. Gerson

212-788-7722

2

212-979-2272

Christine
Quinn

3

212-533-5300

Alan
J. Gerson

Margarita Lopez

212-788-7722

212-614-8751

4

212-736-4536

Christine
Quinn

Gale A. Brewer

212-768-4344

212-873-0282

5

212-465-0907

Christine
Quinn

Gale A. Brewer

Eva Moskowitz

Margarita Lopez

212-768-4344

212-873-0282

212-818-0580

212-614-8751

6

212-319-3750

Christine
Quinn

Margarita Lopez

Gifford Miller

212-768-4344

212-614-8751

212-535-5554

7

212-362-4008

Gale
A. Brewer

Bill Perkins

Phil Reed

212-873-0282

212-662-4440

212-828-9800

8

212-758-4340

Eva
Moskowitz

Gifford Miller

212-818-0580

212-535-5554

9

212-864-6200

Bill
Perkins

Robert Jackson

212-662-4440

212-928-1322

10

212-749-3105

Bill
Perkins

212-662-4440

11

212-831-8929

Phil
Reed

12

212-568-8500

Robert
Jackson

Miguel Martinez

212-928-1322

917-521-2616/2640

BRONX

CB

CB
phone #

Councilmember

Councilmember
phone Number

1

718-585-7117

Jose
Serrano

718-402-6130

2

718-328-9125/6

Jose
Serrano

718-402-6130

3

718-378-8054

Jose
Serrano

Rev. Ruben Diaz

Joel Rivera

Helen Foster

718-402-6130

718-892-7513

718-842-8100

718-588-7500

4

718-299-0800

Jose
Serrano

Helen Foster

Maria Baez

718-402-6130

718-588-7500

718-584-6955

5

718-364-2030

Joel
Rivera

Helen Foster

Maria Baez

718-842-8100

718-588-7500

718-584-6955

6

718-579-6990

Joel
Rivera

Rev. Ruben Diaz

G. Oliver Koppell

718-842-8100

718-892-7513

718-549-7300

7

718-933-5650

Joel
Rivera

Maria Baez

G. Oliver Koppell

718-842-8100

718-584-6955

718-549-7300

8

718-884-3959

G.
Oliver Koppell

718-549-7300

9

718-823-3034

Rev.
Ruben Diaz

Madeline Provenzano

718-892-7513

718-931-6060

10

718-892-1161

Madeline
Provenzano

718-931-6060

11

718-892-6262

Joel
Rivera

Rev. Ruben Diaz

Madeline Provenzano

Larry B. Seabrook

G. Oliver Koppell

718-842-8100

718-892-7513

718-931-6060

718-994-9900

718-549-7300

12

718-881-4455

Larry
B. Seabrook

G. Oliver Koppell

718-994-9900

718-549-7300

BROOKLYN

CB

CB
phone #

Councilmember

Councilmember
phone Number

1

718-389-0009

Diana
Reyna

David Yassky

718-963-3141

718-875-5200

2

718-596-5410

Diana
Reyna

David Yassky

James E. Davis

Albert Vann

Angel Rodriguez

718-963-3141

718-875-5200

718-857-0959

718-919-0740

718-439-9012

3

718-622-6601

Diana
Reyna

Albert Vann

Tracy Boyland

718-963-3141

718-919-0740

718-345-3110

4

718-628-8400

Diana
Reyna

Erik Martin Dilan

718-963-3141

718-453-4674

5

718-498-5711

Erik
Martin Dilan

Charles Barron

Lewis A. Fidler

718-453-4674

718-649-9495

718-241-9330

6

718-643-3027

David
Yassky

Bill de Blasio

718-875-5200

718-854-9791

7

718-854-0003

Bill
de Blasio

718-854-9791

8

718-467-5574

James
E. Davis

Albert Vann

Tracy Boyland

718-857-0959

718-919-0740

718-345-3110

9

718-778-9279

James
E. Davis

Tracy Boyland

Yvette D. Clarke

718-857-0959

718-345-3110

718-287-8762

10

718-745-6827

Bill
de Blasio

Martin J. Golden

James Oddo

718-854-9791

718-238-6078

718-980-1017

11

718-266-8800

Martin
J. Golden

James Oddo

Domenic M. Recchia

Simcha Felder

718-238-6078

718-980-1017

718-373-9673

718-853-2704

12

718-851-0800

Bill
de Blasio

Martin J. Golden

Angel Rodriguez

Yvette D. Clarke

Simcha Felder

Michael Nelson

718-854-9791

718-238-6078

718-439-9012

718-287-8762

718-853-2704

718-368-9176

13

718-266-3001

Domenic
M. Recchia

Michael Nelson

718-373-9673

718-368-9176

14

718-859-6357

Yvette
D. Clarke

Simcha Felder

Michael Nelson

Kendall Stewart

718-287-8762

718-853-2704

718-368-9176

718-951-8177

15

718-332-3008

Domenic
M. Recchia

Michael Nelson

718-373-9673

718-368-9176

16

718-385-0323

Tracy
Boyland

Erik Martin Dilan

Charles Barron

718-345-3110

718-453-4674

718-649-9495

17

718-467-3536

Yvette
D. Clarke

Tracy Boyland

Charles Barron

Kendall Stewart

718-287-8762

718-345-3110

718-649-9495

718-951-8177

18

718-241-0422

Charles
Barron

Lewis A. Fidler

Michael Nelson

Kendall Stewart

718-649-9495

718-241-9330

718-368-9176

718-951-8177

QUEENS

CB

CB
phone #

Councilmember

Councilmember
phone Number

1

718-786-3335

Peter
Vallone Jr

Eric N. Gioia

718-274-4500

718-383-9566

2

718-533-8773

Eric
N. Gioia

Helen Sears

718-383-9566

718-803-6373

3

718-533-8773

Peter
Vallone Jr

Helen Sears

Hiram Monserrate

718-274-4500

718-803-6373

718-205-3881

4

718-760-3141

Eric
N. Gioia

Helen Sears

Hiram Monserrate

718-383-9566

718-803-6373

718-205-3881

5

718-366-1834

Eric
N. Gioia

Helen Sears

Dennis Gallagher

Melinda R. Katz

718-383-9566

718-803-6373

718-366-3900

718-544-8800

6

718-263-9250

Helen
Sears

Dennis Gallagher

Melinda R. Katz

James F. Gennaro

718-803-6373

718-366-3900

718-544-8800

718-217-4969

7

718-359-2800

Hiram
Monserrate

James F. Gennaro

John C. Liu

Tony Avella

718-205-3881

718-217-4969

718-888-8747

718-747-2137

8

718-591-6000

James
F. Gennaro

David I. Weprin

Allan W. Jennings

718-217-4969

718-465-8202

718-657-4787

9

718-286-2686

Dennis
Gallagher

Melinda R. Katz

Allan W. Jennings

Joseph P. Addabbo

718-366-3900

718-544-8800

718-657-4787

718-738-1111

10

718-843-4488

Allan
W. Jennings

Joseph P. Addabbo

James Sanders Jr.

718-657-4787

718-738-1111

718-527-4356

11

718-225-1054

John
C. Liu

Tony Avella

David I. Weprin

718-888-8747

718-747-2137

718-465-8202

12

718-658-3308

Allan
W. Jennings

Leroy G. Comrie

718-657-4787

718-776-3700

13

718-464-9700

David
I. Weprin

Leroy G. Comrie

James Sanders Jr.

718-465-8202

718-776-3700

718-527-4356

14

718-471-7300

Joseph
P. Addabbo

James Sanders Jr.

718-738-1111

718-527-4356

STATEN
ISLAND

CB

CB
phone #

Councilmember

Councilmember
phone Number

1

718-981-6900

Michael
E. McMahon

James Oddo

718-556-7370

718-980-1017

2

718-317-3235

James
Oddo

718-980-1017

3

718-356-7900

Andrew
J. Lanza

James Oddo

718-984-5151

718-980-1017

to top

Next general membership meeting

Copyright
© 1999-2002

Uniformed Fire Officers Association

225
Broadway, Suite 401, New York, N.Y. 10007

Send comments
regarding site design to [email-masked]