Subject: Re: [Mobopts] New topics for the RG

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:43:29 +0300

Hi,

Checking the new topics for the RG few of them look particularly
interesting. I have a couple of comments and questions regarding them.

[snip snap]

> - mobility (and traffic) patterns in a WLAN (e.g., a campus network).
This should provide
>   a better sense of traffic for admission control as well as
network-controlled handovers.

[snip snap]

> - architectural barriers to optimizing inter-domain handovers.
Although we have
>    some understanding of improving delay and packet loss during
handovers across
>    IP networks, how applicable are they across different autonomous
systems? Would
>    the policy barriers allow optimizations? Is this an example of
"tussle in cyberspace"?

[snip snap]

As I work for an operator and am involved in other SDOs these two topics
look very interesting
(network controlled handovers and inter-domain handovers). I'm just
wondering if those could
also be studied from a "steering of roaming" point of view, where the
handover decision could 
be based on or at least weighted by home operator policies and
predefined prioritization of
roaming partners? At least not particularly disabling such use case of
the possible solution.

Very roughly put I would assume that this kind of approach of "guiding"
handover decision requires
a mechanism to inform the mobility management point about networks &
network identities available
to MN even if the networks belong to different administrative domains. A
mechanism to signal back
the home network preferences of the networks before the handover takes
place (or immediately after
the handover) in the MN is needed. Also a possibility to suggest a
handover from network side
between binding updates would be a definitive plus.

Would this group be interested in this topic from the angle I described
it?

Cheers,
	Jouni

-- 
Jouni Korhonen - Senior Researcher
Wireless Mobility Services
TeliaSonera

_______________________________________________
Mobopts mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mobopts

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:50:14 +0900

Hi Jouni,

You may have interest into following the Monami6 BOF at next IETF
(http://www.nautilus6.org/ietf) as we may run across something close to
your below interests. 

Thierry

 On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:43:29 +0300
[email-masked] wrote:

> As I work for an operator and am involved in other SDOs these two
> topics look very interesting
> Very roughly put I would assume that this kind of approach of
> "guiding" handover decision requires
> to MN even if the networks belong to different administrative domains.
> A mechanism to signal back
> Would this group be interested in this topic from the angle I
> described it?
> 
> Cheers,
> 	Jouni
> 
> --

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:28:23 -0700

> to MN even if the networks belong to different administrative domains. A

Alternatively, the MN itself may discover those networks.
Indeed, one could argue that MN is in the best position to
discover.

> between binding updates would be a definitive plus.

I did not understand the last sentence.

> Would this group be interested in this topic from the angle I described

I think it is definitely worthwhile to discuss this, and even more
useful to write up the problems clearly.

Related to this network-controlled handovers is the handovers
across different provider domains. Would a provider permit
optimizations in such cases? What agreements exist today? Are
they readily applicable to IP mobile networks?

Regards,

-Rajeev