Subject: Re: [Mobopts] New topics for the RG

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:18:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Rajeev,

---
Now, it is time to re-consider our charter items. What sorts of topics
are folks interested in working on?  I would like to broaden our scope to
consider Mobility on the Internet in general. Some possible topics for
discussion below in no preference order. Please comment, suggest your
topics and provide a brief justification.
---

How about starting some discussion on LowPan mobility ?
Currently 6Lowpan wg does not have mobility in the charter.
Mobility in sensor networks is a research topic - though
parts of it can be addressed by Manet protocols.

I have published a draft recently to discuss the goals and
requirements of lowpan mobility. Would like to see some
discussion in mobopts  irtg wg.
draft-chakrabarti-mobopts-lowpan-req-00.txt

Thanks,
-Samita

_______________________________________________
Mobopts mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mobopts

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:35:48 +0900

> are folks interested in working on?  I would like to broaden our scope
> to consider Mobility on the Internet in general. Some possible topics
> for discussion below in no preference order. Please comment, suggest
> your topics and provide a brief justification.
> ---
> 

Well, once sensors are IP-enabled, NEMO is likely more appropriate than
MANET, from a complexity point of view:
- no need to manage mobiility: MR does everything 
- sensors may not be wireless nodes: MANET is pointless
- MR can deals with security aspects on behalf of sensors

Thierry

---

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:26:36 -0700

> - MR can deals with security aspects on behalf of sensors

Hi Thierry,

One of the MANET protocols (AODV) variant is being used in Zigbee 
networks. Besides people have also played with other manet reactive
protocols in the sensor networks.
MANET protocols are more appropriate in adhoc/unstructured networks.
However, NEMO ideas could be useful for moving ip-enabled sensor 
networks. But this is too much into solution space.
LowPan network is quite different than regular Internet network;
we need to first understand the issues/requirement in that network.
All that apply in Internet, may not be applicable directly in mesh
networks such as LowPan.

Thanks,
-Samita

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:36:19 -0700

Hi Samita and others,

I think this is an interesting and worthwhile topic for
the RG. We need to acknowledge that MIP, NEMO
exist. However scope of this area calls for a fresh look.
So, all approaches, including MIP-NEMO, should be
welcome.

Regards,

-Rajeev