Subject: [Mobopts] RG update

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:19:57 -0700

Hello folks,

I just wanted to provide an update on the RG documents, and share some
thoughts.

1. The L2 abstractions for L3-driven handover ID is on its way to become an
RFC (having finished IRSG review)

2. Location Privacy Solutions document is in RG LC. Please provide your
reviews. (draft-irtf-mobopts-location-privacy-solutions-06.txt)

2.a. The CN-targeted location privacy solution is recently adopted as an RG
document (draft-weniger-mobopts-mip6-cnlocpriv-02.txt). Please provide your
input.

3. The multicast and mobility problem statement has received some good
reviews already, and will perhaps be ready for RG LC soon.
(draft-irtf-mobopts-mmcastv6-ps-01.txt)

4. The media independent pre-authentication document needs discussion.
 ( draft-irtf-mobopts-mpa-framework-00.txt)

The RG will continue work on these to publish them.
In the meanwhile, we need to look at what other topics we need to be
addressing.. We have a unique forum to look at wireless/mobility problems in
general as they relate to Internet. I encourage folks to make use of this.

As we plan for the Vancouver meeting, should we have a mini-workshop on
mobility related topics? What topics are interesting? Does wireless link
virtualization make sense? Is there interest in reviewing GENI wireless
models and contributing to them? Any other?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Best,

-Rajeev
-- 
http://people.nokia.net/~rajeev

_______________________________________________
Mobopts mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mobopts

---

From: Ashutosh Dutta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:35:19 -0400

Rajeev,
         Is there any way to find out what is going on in the GENI 
Wireless world? The talk by Allison Mankin at last IRTF was quite 
informative, but how do we plug into and contribute to that research 
activity? Do we need to get in touch with BBN folks or Aaron Falk?

Thanks
Ashutosh

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:06:53 -0700

Hi Ashutosh,

I think the GENI website is a good start. http://www.geni.net/documents.html
has documents; more recent documents may be interesting.

If there is interest, we can talk to folks in GENI to investigate some way
of participation.

Regards,

-Rajeev

---

From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:48:28 +0200

Hi all,

> (draft-irtf-mobopts-mmcastv6-ps-01.txt)
We are currently preparing a major revision and very much solicit any 
feedback: so, if you have some comments in the queue, please let us know 
asap.

> general as they relate to Internet. I encourage folks to make use of this.
A suggestion would be to look closer at the mobile multicast source 
problem, particularly solutions and their implication for infrastructure 
  capabilities. This relates to the more general questions of

   * do we need to change MIPv6 stacks for mobile multicast support and how?
   * do we need to require properties/changes from infrastructural 
entities (ARs, MAPs, Mcast-Routers, Tunnel Gateways) to support 
multicast source mobility and which?

> models and contributing to them? Any other?
A discussion of methodical issues for experimental and simulation 
analysis could be of interest: This would go along with Geni wireless 
models, but could include simulation models / tools / data input, as well.

We could offer a presentation on Internet topology measurement data 
(e.g., comparing Caida & Dimes) and tools.

Regards,

thomas
-- 

° Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° HAW Hamburg, Dept. Informatik
° University of Applied Sciences
° Berliner Tor 7, D 20099 Hamburg
° Germany, Fon: +49-40-42875-8157
° http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:12:28 -0700

Hi,

> multicast source mobility and which?

Indeed, these are big questions. And, we should ask such questions. It would
help to start with a)why multicast source problem is important, and then
b)justify/investigate the need for changes as above.

> (e.g., comparing Caida & Dimes) and tools.

That would be interesting. I don't know if there are any wireless-specific
samples also (which would make it even more interesting).

Regards,

-Rajeev