Subject: [Modern] RFC 8396 on Managing, Ordering, Distributing, Exposing, and Registering Telephone Numbers (MODERN): Problem Statement, Use Cases, and Framework

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 12:19:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8396

        Title:      Managing, Ordering, Distributing, Exposing, and 
                    Registering Telephone Numbers (MODERN): 
                    Problem Statement, Use Cases, and Framework 
        Author:     J. Peterson, 
                    T. McGarry
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 57355
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-modern-problem-framework-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8396

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8396

The functions of the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) are
rapidly migrating to the Internet.  This is generating new
requirements for many traditional elements of the PSTN, including
Telephone Numbers (TNs).  TNs no longer serve simply as telephone
routing addresses: they are now identifiers that may be used by
Internet-based services for a variety of purposes including session
establishment, identity verification, and service enablement.  This
problem statement examines how the existing tools for allocating and
managing telephone numbers do not align with the use cases of the
Internet environment and proposes a framework for Internet-based
services relying on TNs.

This document is a product of the Managing, Ordering, Distributing, Exposing, & Registering telephone Numbers Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC