Subject: [Monami6] New draft on make-before-break handoffs for MIPv6

From: Henrik Petander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:15:42 +1000

Hi all,

We submitted today an internet draft on make-before-break handoffs in
Mobile IPv6 to the mip6 WG. It may be interesting also to the people
in this WG, since only multihomed MNs can perform make-before-break
handoffs. The draft should  be available shortly at the ietf website,
but for now it is available at:

http://users.tkk.fi/~lpetande/drafts/draft-petander-mip6-mbb-00.txt

Abstract:

"Mobile IPv6 binding management has been designed for
break-before-make handoffs, which can be performed by hosts equipped
with a single interface. However, a mobile node may be equipped with
multiple interfaces, allowing it to perform make-before-break handoffs
by connecting simultaneously to two overlapping access networks during
the handoff. In theory these handoffs can be lossless, provided that
there is sufficient overlap between the two networks. However, unless
Mobile IPv6 bindings are managed carefully mobile node and
correspondent node will have inconsistent binding state during the
handoff, which will lead to packet loss. In this draft we propose
changes to binding management for lossless make-before-break handoffs.
The proposed changes do not affect the interoperability with Mobile
IPv6 nodes not implementing these changes."

We measured the performance of Mobile IPv6 in make-before-break
handoffs when using two interfaces for handoffs and noticed bad
performance when there was network latency between MN and HA. We
implemented the MN part of the draft and verified that the proposed
change fixed the problem and allowed lossless handoffs for MIPv6,
so the modifications  to MIPv6  work also in practice.

Regards,
Henrik Petander

_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6