Subject: [Monami6] a new I-D about MIP multihoming for low power multimode mobiles

From: "Shiao-Li Tsao (Charles)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:11:27 +0800

Dear All,

It seems that the power consumption issues of battery operated mobiles with 
multiple interfaces are not yet discussed in the Monami6, but using multiple
care-of addresses and/or home addresses does help the multimode mobile to be 
always-reachable and also to conserve its energy. I just submitted a new 
internet draft to talk about this issue. You can find the abstract below and 
the whole docoument in the URL:
http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/~sltsao/ietf-taso-mip-multihoming-lowpower-00.txt
I believe the new I-D should be soon accessible through Internet-Draft 
directories.

I would appreciate very much for your comments and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Charles Taso

PS.

I-D: Benefits of multiple care-of addresses and home addresses for low power
multimode mobiles

Abstract

  It is expected that future mobile devices will equip multiple
  wireless interfaces in order to access the Internet ubiquitously. For
  such a multimode mobile node (MMN) that might have multiple home
  addresses to associate with its interfaces, the MMN has to keep its
  interfaces awake to listen the packets to these home addresses (HoAs).
  Therefore, the MMN consumes a considerable energy to maintain the
  reachablilities of these HoAs/interfaces. The draft presents the
  benefits to use multiple care-of addresses and/or home addresses to
  save the idle-mode power consumption of an MMN, and also discusses
  the impacts and the requirements of the existing IETF protocols to
  support the proposed low power operations.

_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6