Subject: RE: [Monami6] Simultaneous location in home and foreign

From: "Soliman, Hesham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:07:59 -0500

Plus, you cannot have different
 > flows from the CN going to different interfaces.  

=> Why not? The CN can send different flows to different MN CoAs.

Hesham

An extension to
 > multiple CoA registrations that allows simultaneous at home 
 > and foreign
 > would be far more desirable.
 > 
 > /rgds
 > /cwng
 > 
 > 
 > 
 > _______________________________________________
 > Monami6 mailing list
 > [email-masked]
 > https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6
 > 

===========================================================
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.
===========================================================

_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:21:32 +0800

> => Why not? The CN can send different flows to different MN CoAs.

Sorry, I wasn't writing it clearly.  I mean when the MN is
simultaneously at home and foreign, although you can send a BU to
instruct the CN to use the interface at foreign network, the CN still
can only use one interface.  It can't use both interfaces.

/rgds
/cwng

-- 
Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Panasonic Singapore Labs

---

From: Ryuji Wakikawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:13:15 +0900

Hi Chan-Wah

> can only use one interface.  It can't use both interfaces.

Without CN's help, MN cannot utilize both interfaces attached to home  
and foreign.
If HA run Proxy-NDP for the MN@foreign, it cannot route the packets  
to the MN@home.
Even if it tries to sends the packet to MN@home, the packets just  
come back to the HA due to proxy NDP.

And, the original scenario posted by Keigo should be achieved by home  
network configuration.
For example,  HA is configured with virtual home link, and serves  
FLs, too.

regards,
ryuji

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:54:27 +0800

Hi Ryuji,

> come back to the HA due to proxy NDP.

I am not sure I undersatnd your point.

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:18:00 +0800

Hi Ryuji

(Please ignore previous message, accidentally press the send button)

> Without CN's help, MN cannot utilize both interfaces attached to home  

I am not so sure I understand your point.   SO lets be a bit specific:

   IF1 +----- FOREIGN
  MN
   IF2 +----- HOME

First, you mention that If MN wants CN to use IF1, MN can send BU to CN
to use CoA at IF1.  Agreed.

My point is, if MN wants flows from CN to use both IF1 and IF2, there is
no way to do it without a solution for BCE to reflect the situation
where MN is both away and at home.

Now, if that solution is available, CN support is not required.  If HA
knows that MN is available at both IF1 and IF2, HA can (1) tunnel a
packet sent to IF1 at MN's CoA, or (2) forward the packet to IF2 through
MN's home link.  MN can use Heshsam's or nomadv6's methods of flow
filtering to ask HA to forward different flows from CN differently.  In
this case, CN needs only know HoA of MN.  It does not even need RO
support.  

Now, if all flows from CN would all flow from CN to HA, when would this
be useful?  It would be useful when the two links (away and foreign) for
MN has very vast different characteristics, so that different flows (ie.
AV stream vs file downard) should go through different links from CN.

> come back to the HA due to proxy NDP.

Precisely why Keigo suggested a way to do it, something to do with
configuring a CoA on the home link, as I recall.

/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Keigo Aso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:54:14 +0900

Hello,

Please see my comments inline.

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:18:00 +0800

> configuring a CoA on the home link, as I recall.
Yes, home CoA is created by the MN at home network when it is connected
to both home and foreign networks simultaneously. 
The MN registers the home CoA to the HA in addition to the entry 
of MN@foreign. By using this method, the HA can continue to run 
Proxy NDP for the MN's HoA and MN can use the interface connected to 
the home network also simultaneously.

Regards,
Keigo

---

From: Keigo Aso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:18:23 +0900

Hello,

Let me add a bit comments to my previous message.

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:54:14 +0900

> the home network also simultaneously.
In terms of the possibility of using of the MN's multiple interfaces, 
it is essential part for the HA to be able to maintain 
the MN's multiple BCEs as usable forwarding destinations. 
My intention is to prevent the MN's possibility from being decreased.
So, I have introduced above method which could support HA-initiate
change wherever the MN is.

I would appreciate your comments.

Regards,
Keigo