Subject: [MEXT] RO requirements for aerospace

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RCN0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:20:26 -0500

We have updated the draft-eddy-nemo-aero-reqs-01 document," Route
Optimization Requirements for Operational Use in Aeronautics and Space
Exploration Mobile Networks,"  per feedback from the IETF69 meeting.

Changes from draft-eddy-nemo-aero-reqs-01

A diff file is available at the following URL:
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~ivancic/shared/ietf/draft-eddy-nemo-aero-req
-01-to-02.htm

   At the IETF69 nemo meeting, consensus was reached to have the
   aeronautics, car-to-car, electronics devices, and any other groups
   develop individual requirements documents.  At a later date, these
   individual requirements documents are likely to be combined into one
   document.  Thus, the draft-eddy-nemo-aero-req-01 document has been
   revised as follows:

      The document has been renamed as draft-eddy-nemo-aero-reqs-02.
      Once MEXT gets organized, this document will become an ietf-mext
      working document per IETF69 consensus.  However, in order to get
      this document out for comment during the transition period, it has
      been release at this time as an individual submission.

      In Req1 - Separability the wording has been changed such that
      selection is base on traffic types rather than applications.  It
      was noted during the IETF69 NEMO meeting that requiring a RO to
      determine separability by application is not practical but use of
      techniques such as traffic classification may be.

      Req5 - Integrity has been changed to Req5 - Packet Loss.  Within
      the IETF integrity has a different meaning than packet loss.
      Within the aviation community, integrity, as used here, refers to
      path integrity or data flow integrity.  Within the IETF, integrity
      implies good data rather than good path.  Thus, in order to
      improve clarity within the IETF, the wording has been changed.

      Req7 - Throughput has been changed to Req7 - Efficient Signaling.
      Overall throughput is relative to the bandwidth of the available
      links and is relatively independent of the RO implementation.
      Rather, the real requirement is for RO to be deployable over low
      bandwidth systems (e.g.  VHDL links of 8 kbps for today's
      aeronautical communication links).  Thus, the wording has been
      change to reflect the actual requirement.

      Acronyms have been defined the first time they are used.

      The requirements section has been re-written to read more like a
      contract.  Thus, we have requirements and rationale with the
      rationale being numbered paragraphs.  The idea is that, if so
      desired at a later date, this should enable combining of the
      various requirement documents into a single requirements document.
      In addition, we hope that the changes will make this document
      easier for an implementer to utilize.

******************************
William D. Ivancic
Phone 216-433-3494
Fax 216-433-8705
Lab 216-433-2620
Mobile 440-503-4892
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~ivancic 

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext