Subject: [MEXT] [RFC3775 changes] De-registration when returning home (another atempt)

From: "George Tsirtsis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:25:30 +0000

Hi all,

Here is another attempt to resolve this issue. I think the discussion,
although somewhat painful, has been illuminating and now people seem
to at least understand why this is currently a SHOULD. I think there
is also agreement on what the MN needs to do depending on its
connectivity situation and its desire to use the home link or not.

I think people also understand that this is somewhat related to the
PMIP/MIP interactions discussion in NETLMM WG. In that sense the
following is proposed with the understanding that *connecting* to the
home link, does not automatically invalidate the HA binding pointing
to a foreign link. The HA BCEs for the MN are only removed if a dereg
BU is sent by the MN and received by the HA. It is also, however,
recognized that the MN must indeed send a dereg BU before
sending/receiving traffic over the home link.

We should now be able to come to some agreement, which of course will
not be possible unless people are flexible and recognize the effort to
capture the discussion in the following:

OLD TEXT:
   A mobile node detects that it has returned to its home link through
   the movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.1), when the
   mobile node detects that its home subnet prefix is again on-link.
   The mobile node SHOULD then send a Binding Update to its home agent,
   to instruct its home agent to no longer intercept or tunnel packets
   for it.

NEW TEXT:
   A mobile node detects that it has returned to its home link through
   the movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.1), when the
   mobile node detects that its home subnet prefix is again on-link.
   Although the home link may not be immediately used, e.g., if the mobile
   node still maintains foreign links, the mobile node MUST send a Binding
   Update to its home agent, to instruct its home agent to no longer intercept
   or tunnel packets for it, before sending/receiving traffic on its
home link.

Regards
George
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext