Subject: Re: [MORG] IMAPEXT prepared for shutdown

From: Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:28:40 +0300

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 11:55 +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> 
> > One thing somewhat related to ACLs that could be useful is the 
> > ability  to find out and specify which message flags and keywords are 
> > shared  and which are private (on per-flag level, not on per-message 
> > level).  Perhaps with the ability to create/delete keywords with 
> > explicit  commands.. Anyone else interested (for morg)?
> 
> I am interested. I think I even had a pro-draft for this at some point.

I remember you had a new untagged reply listing shared flags:

* OK [SHAREDFLAGS (\Seen \Answered $hello $world)]

The commands could be something like:

1 FLAGS ADD PRIVATE ($pvt1 $pvt2 $foo) SHARED (\Seen \Answered)
* FLAGS ..
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ..]
* OK [SHAREDFLAGS (\Seen \Answered)]
1 OK
2 FLAGS ADD SHARED ($shared1 $foo $shared2)
* FLAGS ..
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ..]
* OK [SHAREDFLAGS (\Seen \Answered $foo $shared1)]
2 NO [TOOMANYKEYWORDS] $shared2 not added

3 FLAGS REMOVE ($pvt1)
* FLAGS ..
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ..]
3 OK
4 FLAGS REMOVE ($shared1 \seen $shared2)
* FLAGS ..
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ..]
* OK [SHAREDFLAGS (\Answered $foo)]
4 NO Unknown keyword $shared2

5 FLAGS ADD PRIVATE (\hello)
5 BAD

Adding and updating could be done with the same command. I don't think
there's much point in having them be separate.
_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html

---

From: Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:49:05 +0300

> The commands could be something like:

A few more things came to my mind:

Servers would be allowed to handle keywords created with STORE and with
FLAGS ADD differently. If server runs out of keywords while adding new
ones or otherwise decides that there are too many of them, it would be
allowed to remove the unused keywords created with STORE, but not
keywords created with FLAGS ADD. I guess this would mostly be for
backwards compatibility, because it's possible to accidentally create
new keywords with old clients but possible to remove them. So the server
could decide to drop keywords after they've been unused for n days.

Interaction with ACL? Since "w" right already allows creating new
keywords, I guess that should be enough to be able to modify/remove
them. But is "s" then enough to modify \Seen's shared state and "t" to
modify \Deleted's shared state? Doesn't seem that good of an idea.
Perhaps "a" right would be needed to modify \flags, but "w" would be ok
for keywords? Or perhaps this is implementation-defined behavior ("a"
MAY be required, "w" MAY be enough).

Should user be able to override shared flag state? So that admin
specifies only the defaults, but user is allowed to mark any one of the
shared flags as private. This would at least reduce
accidental/intentional conflicts with keywords.
_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html