Subject: [MORG] IMAP5 List

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:08:39 -0700

At the MORG BOF, a discussion as to if the proposed IMAP extensions 
would merely further add to the existing problem with IMAP being too 
hard to get right, for both clients and servers, let to a revival of 
the "IMAP5" discussion (previous held during the IMAP EAI 
discussions).  Here, "IMAP5" refers to a Big Switch (new port and 
version) to distinguish this revision from current IMAP.  The goal is 
to delete as much as possible from IMAP.

A new mailing list now exists for this discussion on drastically 
slimming-down IMAP to make it easier to implement clients and servers.

==================================================================
To subscribe, click here: <mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe>.
==================================================================

It's been observed that "most IMAP clients suck" and that it's hard 
for both clients and servers to implement.

One reason IMAP is hard to implement is that it has a lot of options. 
Often there are several alternative ways to accomplish something.  It 
also has considerable functionality.

Is it possible and desirable to start with the current set of (IMAP + 
all extensions) and consider subtracting as much as possible? The 
resulting protocol would still be IMAP, but not backwards-compatible 
with today's IMAP, since some currently-mandated items are likely to 
be deleted.

General information about the IMAP5 mailing list is at: 
<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imap5>.

You can subscribe and manage your subscription at 
<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imap5>.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
If Murphy's Law can go wrong, it will.
_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html