Subject: [MORG] draft-gulbrandsen-imap-inthread-05

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:28:35 +0100

IETF I-D Submission Tool writes:
> A new version of I-D, draft-gulbrandsen-imap-inthread-05.txt has been 
> successfuly submitted by Arnt Gulbrandsen and posted to the IETF 
> repository.

FYI. Threads become new when new messages arrive and the word extant is 
gone. THREAD=algo is still there.

Arnt
_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html

---

From: Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:31:20 +0200

Two more things about this:

> THREAD=REFS sorts by the most recent date in each thread, replacing
>     step (4) of THREAD=REFERENCES. This means that when a new message
>     arrives, its thread becomes the latest thread. A message's date is
>     computed as specified in [RFC5256] section 2.2.

1) I'd rather have it sort by the most recent INTERNALDATE rather than
section 2.2's date. Otherwise spams and such containing dates in past
can end up somewhere hidden in the middle of the mailbox and future
dates always at the top of the mailbox.

2) The sorting change only concerns about sorting thread roots, which
isn't immediately obvious from the above, although it refers to step
(4).

Maybe something like:

THREAD=REFS sorts thread roots by the most recent INTERNALDATE of each
thread, replacing step(4) of THREAD=REFERENCES. This means that when a
new message arrives, its thread becomes the latest thread.

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:06:40 +0100

> dates always at the top of the mailbox.

I don't think all that really matters. I've seen internaldate snafus 
too. But if you want it and noone opposes it, then I'll happily use the 
text.

> isn't immediately obvious from the above, although it refers to step 

Hm, it doesn't sort siblings that way? I don't suppose it matters.

> thread, replacing step(4) of THREAD=REFERENCES. This means that when 
> a new message arrives, its thread becomes the latest thread.

I had something indistinguishable from that text in an unpublished revision ;)

Arnt