Subject: [MORG] I-D Action:draft-ietf-morg-multimailbox-search-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Message Organization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IMAP4 Multimailbox SEARCH Extension
	Author(s)       : B. Leiba, A. Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-morg-multimailbox-search-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2009-07-07

The IMAP4 specification allows the searching only of the selected
mailbox.  A user often wants to search multiple mailboxes, and a
client that wishes to support this must issue a series of SELECT and
SEARCH commands, waiting for each to complete before moving on to the
next.  This extension allows a client to search multiple mailboxes
with one command, limiting the round-trips and waiting for various
searches to complete, and not requiring disruption of the currently
selected mailbox.  This also uses MAILBOX and TAG fields in ESEARCH
responses, allowing a client to pipeline the searches if it chooses.

Note

A revised version of this draft document will be submitted to the RFC
editor as a Proposed Standard for the Internet Community.  Discussion
and suggestions for improvement are requested, and should be sent to
[email-masked].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-morg-multimailbox-search-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:03:53 -0400

This version switches to the NOTIFY mailbox specification syntax, as
we decided at IETF 74, and it cleans up the ABNF and some other
wording.  Apart from having to write up the Security Considerations
section properly, I think it's done, but for one issue.  So I'd like
folks to review it and see if it's what we want.

The one issue: As noted in the sketched-out Security Considerations
section, at IETF 74 we had a discussion about possible using metadata
to refine the list of mailboxes.  Do we want to do that?  If so, we
can do it by adding a scope-option, but I'd like someone to take a
stab at some text for how it should go.  I'm thinking maybe we'd want
"include" and "exclude" scope options, which can refine the list that
results from the NOTIFY selectors.  And one of the things the
parameters to those options can specify is metadata matching.  Would
there be anything else?

Comments?

-- Barry

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 22:15:55 +0100

Barry, this looks good. Note that I still need to review the new ABNF in 
more details, so I might have some comments later.

One quick comment about the capability: I think you should keep the 
"X-DRAFT-" prefix ("X-DRAFT-W01-MSEARCH"), until the document is stable. 
I am not convinced that it will not change syntactically, so I would 
rather not let people deploy a non final version while advertising the 
MSEARCH capability.