Subject: [MORG] I-D Action:draft-ietf-morg-list-specialuse-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Message Organization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IMAP LIST extension for special-use mailboxes
	Author(s)       : B. Leiba, J. Nicolson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-morg-list-specialuse-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2010-02-09

Some IMAP message stores include special-use mailboxes, such as those
used to hold draft messages or sent messages.  Many mail clients
allow users to specify where draft or sent messages should be put,
but configuring them requires that the user know which mailboxes the
server has set aside for these purposes.  This extension adds new
mailbox flags that a server MAY include in IMAP LIST command
responses to identify special-use mailboxes to the client, easing
configuration.

Note

A revised version of this draft document will be submitted to the RFC
editor as a Proposed Standard for the Internet Community.  Discussion
and suggestions for improvement are requested, and should be sent to
[email-masked].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-morg-list-specialuse-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Filip Navara <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:26:39 +0100

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:45 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> MORG mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
> Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html
>
>

In section "4.1.  Example of an IMAP LIST command" - shouldn't the
following line

    S: * LIST (\Marked \HasNoChildren) "/" Inbox

be

    S: * LIST (\Marked \HasNoChildren \Inbox) "/" Inbox

?

I don't know if the \Inbox flag is way too useful since the regular
LIST command has to use the "INBOX" reserved name anyway. XLIST used
to return localized name for Inbox, which was a justification for the
flag, but you can't do that for regular LIST.

Best regards,
Filip Navara

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:39:13 -0500

>    S: * LIST (\Marked \HasNoChildren \Inbox) "/" Inbox

I could always say no, because all of the flags are optional... so
this server simply doesn't support the \Inbox flag.  But actually,
it's an oversight in creating the example.  :-)

But...

> flag, but you can't do that for regular LIST.

This is a good point.  Should we remove \Inbox ?  Then Gmail will just
use the \Inbox flag in their implementation of XLIST, and in regular
LIST the client will know that the inbox is called "inbox".

Barry

---

From: Jamie Nicolson (倪志明) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:48:56 -0800

> LIST the client will know that the inbox is called "inbox".

This works for Gmail.