Subject: [MORG] Document Action: 'IMAP4 Multimailbox SEARCH Extension' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-morg-multimailbox-search-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:03:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IMAP4 Multimailbox SEARCH Extension'
  (draft-ietf-morg-multimailbox-search-07.txt) as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Message Organization Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Peter Saint-Andre and Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-morg-multimailbox-search/

Technical Summary

   The IMAP4 specification allows the searching only of the selected
   mailbox.  A user often wants to search multiple mailboxes, and a
   client that wishes to support this must issue a series of SELECT and
   SEARCH commands, waiting for each to complete before moving on to the
   next.  This extension allows a client to search multiple mailboxes
   with one command, limiting the round-trips and waiting for various
   searches to complete, and not requiring disruption of the currently
   selected mailbox.  This also uses MAILBOX and TAG fields in ESEARCH
   responses, allowing a client to pipeline the searches if it chooses.

Working Group Summary

   The specification is a product of the MORG WG and there were no
   issues of contention regarding the specification.

Document Quality

   The document has been widely reviewed in the applications area,
   by the general area team, and by the security directorate. All feedback
   has been addressed. The document is deemed of good quality by the 
   WG chairs and the Responsible Area Director.

Personnel

   Julian Reschke is the Document Shepherd. Peter Saint-Andre is the 
   Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

   Please add the following sentence to the Abstract:

      This document updates RFC 4466.

   Please modify the last bullet of the Introduction (Section 1) to read:

      The MAILBOX, UIDVALIDITY, and TAG fields in the responses
      allow a client to distinguish which responses go with which search
      (and which mailbox).  A client can safely pipeline these search
      commands without danger of confusion.  The addition of the 
      MAILBOX and UIDVALIDITY fields updates the search-correlator 
      item defined in [RFC4466].

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:17:02 +0000

>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-morg-multimailbox-search/
With the approval of this document all active MORG documents are done 
and I will be closing the WG shortly.

Best Regards,
Alexey

-- 
IETF Application Area Director, <http://www.ietf.org/iesg/members.html>
Internet Messaging Team Lead, <http://www.isode.com>
JID: same as my email address