Subject: [Mpls-interop] Progress with my editing work in Geneva

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 08:39:22 -0000

Just to keep you up to date...

Tuesday I had useful corridor discussions with several people about process, 
terminology, and "tandem connections". I think we made some movement toward 
mutual understanding. In particular of the use of (benefit of) an 
aggregation tunnel LSP over some segment of a path (what I call a Path 
Segment Tunnel) to carry one or more end-to-end LSPs and enable OAM and 
protection scaling.

Last night we (mainly Nurit and me - some help from others, especially 
Stewart and Deborah) started to go through the requirements I-D 
(draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements-00.txt) and generated a number of comments 
(mainly clarification and editorial). We got as far as section 2.8 
(Protection & Survivability requirements) which is the topic I want to make 
serious progress on. My plan is to do a significant rework of this section 
today.

- I want to split out protection behavior requirements (i.e. data
  plane observed behavior, and data plane operational behavior)
- We should have a subsection for protection requirements in
   ring topologies (even if it ends up that all of the requirements
   listed are copies of those in the general section, it will be helpful
   to expose that we have considered protection in ring topologies)
- Separate sections are needed to describe each of:
  - Triggers for protection and restoration
  - Management plane operation of protection and restoration
  - Control plane operation of protection and restoration

Once we have that text prepared we will be able to move on to the 
survivability framework draft (draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-survive-fwk). [Other 
people may work on other drafts!]

Please note that here in Geneva there will be a joint session of Question 10 
and Question 12 on Friday afternoon this week to review the four working 
group I-Ds.

Adrian 

_______________________________________________
Mpls-interop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop