Subject: Re: Any SPs using QoS ???

From: jie yang ee stnt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:58:02 -0400 (EDT)

these days I am watching Olympics online because NBC has a delay of
12 hours or more in the coverage. But the Quality is not as good as TV.
If some ISP could guarantee QoS, could you see the market here in online live
video and other potentions? These services are different from those best effort.
Curtainly people should pay for it although the charging and pricing 
mechanism is still not clear.
Another question is if we had sufficient bandwidth, would those QoS mechanism
be necessary? My thought is with these mechanisms, ISPs could accomodate more
customers and lower their service price so that they can get a good position
in competition if those QoS techniques is not too costly. And it can meet 
various demand from various customers. 
Anyway, these factors shall not be concerns of engineers. Since these QoS
problems exist, we should try to solve. Whether it is promising, 
human history will tell us.

---

From: "Casati, Alessio (Alessio)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:29:15 +0100

> Jie has the point. Well said. The IP disciples claim they can do as well
> as
> the SONET disciples
> 
> 
ok, can we stop this religion war on this list?