Subject: Re: Asymmetrical Bi-directional LSPs

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:02:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Adrian,

> Lou Berger suggested I poll the list to see what interest there is in being
> able to set up asymmetrical bi-directional LSPs without the need for an
> exterior signaling protocol.

For what it's worth, I neither see the need for this, nor am I
in favour of it.  In my (admittedly cynical) view, there is a
perfectly good exterior protocol to do this, namely, telnet :-)

I do see the need for symmetrical bi-directional LSPs (mostly for
optical and SONET trails) and (reluctantly at first) accepted the
need to extend RSVP for that.

Kireeti.

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:10:52 -0400

Adrian,

I agree with Kireeti on this one.  Furthermore, the premiss for this is 
that the reverse path must be calculated at the sender of the first 
LSP.  Why can't the egress calculate the (possibly asymmetric) path on it's 
own?  Your really asking for two LSPs, why signal them as one?  (Even ATM 
doesn't support this.)

Lou