Subject: Protocol Action: LDP Specification to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 06:53:11 -0400

The IESG has approved LDP Specification <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-11.txt> as
a Proposed Standards

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of LDP Applicability
<draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-applic-02.txt> as an Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob
Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) is a method for forwarding packets
using short, fixed-length values carried by packets, called labels, to
determine packet nexthops. A fundamental concept in MPLS is that two
Label Switching Routers (LSRs) use the same packet encapsulations and
agree on the meaning of the labels which are used to forward traffic
between and through them. The common understanding is achieved by using
a set of procedures, called a label distribution protocol, by which one
LSR informs another of label bindings it has made.

MPLS is currently being deployed in the Internet primarily as a
technique for traffic engineering.

Working Group Summary
 
The working group just completed an editing phase removing normative
references to a document that is not ready for publication as an
INFORMATIONAL RFC. The WG believes these two documents are ready for
publication.

Protocol Quality

Rob Coltun has reviewed these specs for the IESG. There are multiple
implementations of LDP.

Note to RFC Editor:

  In section 3.4.3 after the line
          IPv4                4 octet full IPv4 address
  please add the line
          IPv6                16 octet full IPv6 address