Subject: RSVP-TE--RRO

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:56:21 -0400

Hello,

On Rsvp -TE page 17 the latest version 07.txt, it says that "In resv message,
they must appear after the associated FILTER_SPEC and prior to the say
subsequent FILTER_SPC".

I understand that the LABEL object should be in RESV message, but in Resv
message, in either case of FF and SE, the [<RECORD_ROUTE>] is optional.  Also it
is optional in Path message.

So RRO in Resv is optional or not?

Thanks,

Julia

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:12:19 -0400

Hong Liao wrote:
> 
> On Rsvp -TE page 17 the latest version 07.txt, it says that "In resv
> message, they must appear after the associated FILTER_SPEC and prior
> to the say subsequent FILTER_SPC".
> 
> I understand that the LABEL object should be in RESV message, but in
> Resv message, in either case of FF and SE, the [<RECORD_ROUTE>] is
> optional.  Also it is optional in Path message.
> 

It's absolutely optional.  What gave you any other idea?

The requirement for positioning (in the flow descriptor, after an
associated filter spec) is because a single Resv message may reserve
resources for many different senders, and a receiver may want to record
the route to each one of them.

-- David