From: "Frank Hujber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:03:57 EDT

Folks,

Please excuse the naivete, but I'm new to MPLS and a systems engineer, not a 
developer.

From draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-08, I understand that a label value of '1' 
indicates local processing and that the destination of 'this' packet is the 
next label down in the stack. From RFC2113, it is my understanding that if 
the local router does not recognize option processing, the processing 
'request' is silently ignored. In the IP case, the packet is delivered using 
the slow path.

In the MPLS case, the way I read this is that the label processing will 
occur as follows:

MPLS will make a copy of the labeled packet and pass it to a local 
application.

MPLS will insert the labl of '1' back onto the stack.

MPLS will send the labeled packet to the destination by the next label down 
in the stack.

Do I understand this correctly?

Frank Hujber
[email-masked]
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.