Subject: mpls LDP/CRLDP question

From: "Ellen Chang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:20:34 -0400

Hello,

Is the STATUS TLV optional for all the other messages besides the Notification
message? This optional TLV is not included in the message's format for optional
parameters list, but both documents mention STATUS may be carried in the other
messages besides the Notification message.

Thank you
Ellen

---

From: Prem Shankar Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:00:03 -0700

Hi Ellen,

    I'm forwarding you the mail where Eric Gray responded to such 
    query.

    Hope it helps.

Prem
----------------------------------------------------------------------
   	Please note the following quote from section 3.4.6 of
the LDP specification:

"Note that use of the Status TLV is not limited to Notification
 messages.  A message other than a Notification message may carry a
 Status TLV as an Optional Parameter.  When a message other than a
 Notification carries a Status TLV the U-bit of the Status TLV should be
 set to 1 to indicate that the receiver should silently discard the TLV
 if unprepared to handle it."

Thus it is always possible to include a status TLV in any kind 
of LDP message.  In general, it makes some sense to consider
including a status TLV in any message which is a response to 
some other message.  It is a question as to whether or not it's
worth the trouble to include it explicitly as an optional TLV 
for every message type which might be sent in response to other
message types.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ellen Chang [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 2:21 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: mpls LDP/CRLDP question
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Hello,
>