Subject: Info about mpls-vpn

From: "D'Albenzio Raffaele" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:21:24 +0200

Hi all,

I have a question on draft-rosen-rfc2547bis, section 5.

In the MPLS VPN architecture proposed in the draft, to ensure
interoperability among different implementations, it is required to support
LDP for setting up LSP across the backbone. However, other methods are
possible.
Can I use, for example, RSVP-TE extensions to create LSP between PEs?

Thank you,
Raffaele.
__________________________
Raffaele D'Albenzio
CSELT - Centro Studi E Laboratori di Telecomunicazioni 
Services and Applications, Networking               
Corporate Networks: Networks and Systems Integration                 
Via Reiss Romoli, 274 - 10148 Torino (Italy)
Phone +39 011 228 5798
Fax +39 011 228 5069
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:55:51 -0700

Raffaele,

Technically - yes. RSVP-TE or even GRE tunnels between PEs will work
fine.

Operationally you need to make sure that if you go this path you will
need to engineer your TE LSPs the way that even at some failure
conditions you will still have an active LSP connectivity between PEs.
If not since you are not running LDP the core your PE-PE connectivity
will be lost for VPN customers as falling back to plain IP will not
help.

R.

> D'Albenzio Raffaele wrote:
> 
> Hi all,
>

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 09:36:02 -0400

> will be lost for VPN customers as falling back to plain IP will not

Don't build broken networks is always good advice.  If you are not
using CAC (you are allowing overbooking but balancing traffic through
other means) then there is no issue.  That just happens to be the only
supported mode for LDP (and there is no opportunity to balance traffic
to reduce load).

Curtis

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 07:36:09 -0700

Raffaele,

> Can I use, for example, RSVP-TE extensions to create LSP between PEs?

Yes you can. To do this you'll need to be able to correlate the
tail-end of such LSPs with the Next-Hop carried in BGP.

Yakov.