Subject: RE: mpls question

From: Murali Krishna Policharla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:49:42 +0530

Hi All,
	  Can anyone tell me the difference between the mpls (LDP/CRLDP)
protocol(Functionality wise) running  on a Egrees LSR and on an intermediate
LSR.

thanks in advance

Murali Krishna P.

---

From: Wushao Wen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

I think the Egress LSR need to do the mapping from Labeled packet to the
unlabeled packet mapping (for MPLS domain to non-MPLS domain, just
eliminate the shim header) or pop up the upper level MPLS header (from one
MPLS domain to another MPLS domain, while label stacking was used). For
the intermediate LSR, only label swapping is used.
Cheers!

Wushao

---

From: Ramanjaneyulu Y T <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:03:29 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
  I will add some more points wrt label generation

*  Egress  LSR generates label '0 ' to indicate it is egress node and
core LSRs generates Label depending up on FECs but not '0' .

  If I am wrong please correct me. 

Regards,
Ramanjaneyulu Y T

---

From: Nisar Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:52:13 -0700

> core LSRs generates Label depending up on FECs but not '0' .

It used to be zero. I believe it has been changed to label 3 instead.

 nisar

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:46:51 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, R
>   If I am wrong please correct me. 

This only occurs if the egress LSR is incapble of popping the label
and then doing a lookup based on the next label or header under the
label.  This is called Penultimate Hop Popping and does have some
disadvantages.

Curtis