Subject: RSVP-TE questions

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:06:52 -0400

Hello,

I have a question for the RSVP-TE:

On page 19 of RSVP-TE 07.txt, it says that "If a node receives a resv message
that has assigned the same label value to multiple senders, then that node MAY
also assign a single value to those same senders or to any subset of those
senders"

Q1:  Since here using word "MAY", I want to know the switch vendor implement it
which way or both?
Q2:  The sender means the end host or the router node?

Thank you in advance.

Julia

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:14:51 +0100

Hi Julia,

In this case "sender" refers to the sender identified by the <FILTER_SPEC>
which is, of course, mapped from the <SENDER_TEMPLATE> on the Path.

This text recognizes that a Resv can carry multiple filter specs.  Since the
label is tightly associated with the filter spec and not with the Resv, the
text is acknowledging that the downstream LSR may assign the same label to
multiple flows and distribute the label on the same Resv.

It is then going on to say that it is the choice of an individual LSR
whether it assigns a distinct label for each flow or whether it uses the
same one for them all.  This choice will surely be impacted by whether the
hardware supports "merging".  

Regards,
Adrian
--
Adrian Farrel  mailto:[email-masked]
Network Convergence Group
Data Connection Ltd., Chester, UK
http://www.datcon.co.uk/
Tel: +44 (0) 1244 313440  Fax: +44 (0) 1244 312422

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Hong Liao [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 9:07 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: RSVP-TE questions
>
>
>
>
>Hello,
>