Subject: Fw: Any SPs using QoS ???

From: "Frank Hujber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:26:45 -0500

Jie has the point. Well said. The IP disciples claim they can do as well as
the SONET disciples, but even they admit, if only implicitly, that the
Internet cannot carry real-time messaging as well as SONET, though I agree
that it is more efficient w.r.t. bandwidth usage. (Consider how much R&D is
going into things like VoIP and RSVP just to make it work for real-time
applications.)

Frank Hujber
----- Original Message -----
From: jie yang ee stnt <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2000 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: Any SPs using QoS ???

> these days I am watching Olympics online because NBC has a delay of
> 12 hours or more in the coverage. But the Quality is not as good as TV.
> If some ISP could guarantee QoS, could you see the market here in online
live
> video and other potentions? These services are different from those best
effort.
> Curtainly people should pay for it although the charging and pricing
> mechanism is still not clear.
> Another question is if we had sufficient bandwidth, would those QoS
mechanism
> be necessary? My thought is with these mechanisms, ISPs could accomodate
more
> customers and lower their service price so that they can get a good
position
> in competition if those QoS techniques is not too costly. And it can meet
> various demand from various customers.
> Anyway, these factors shall not be concerns of engineers. Since these QoS
> problems exist, we should try to solve. Whether it is promising,
> human history will tell us.
>

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:02:48 -0400

> going into things like VoIP and RSVP just to make it work for real-time

You are paying for commodity best effort IP service and asking for DVD
quality video from Australia.  This is an argument for QoS but needs
to be qualified by the question (don't answer this btw) "would you be
willing to pay more for this and if so how much?".

Today's routers can differentiate between traffic marked for a
preferred service and provide high quality video streams over
congested IP links as long as the video streams are marked as
preferred traffic.

This has nothing to do with SONET or IP technology.  Most (not all)
players in the ISP business simply haven't found a large enough
customer base willing to pay a large enough premium for the service to
make it more attractive to divert engineering attention from their
rapidly growing and profitable best effort IP service.

Curtis