Subject: Protocol Action: VCID Notification over ATM link for LDP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 06:57:15 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'VCID Notification over ATM
link for LDP' <draft-ietf-mpls-vcid-atm-05.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label
Switching Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are David Oran and
Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
  This document specifies the procedures for the notification of VCID
  (Virtual Connection IDentifier) for an ATM-LSR (Label Switching
  Router).

  Because the ATM layer labels (VPI and VCI) associated with a VC
  rewritten with new value at every ATM switch nodes, it is not possible
  to use them to identify a VC in label mapping messages in the LDP.  The
  concept of VCID is introduced to solve this problem.  VCID has the same
  value at both ends of a VC.  This document specifies the procedure to
  share the VCID value between ATM-LSRs.

Working Group Summary

  There was consensus in the WG for this document with no major
  objections.

Protocol Quality

  Currently, there is no complete implementations. However there are
  implementations in progress. There is an implementation of VCID
  procedure based on FANP (RFC2129) which is almost same as the VCID
  notification for LDP, specified by the VCID document.

  The draft was reviewed by Rob Coltun for the IESG.