Subject: Re: question on RSVP-TE

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 18:07:27 -0400

George,

>This is just a text string that can be used by net management.  By
>carrying it along in the signalling the same name is used at all nodes
>along the tunnel.  This makes it easier for operators to pick out a
>particular tunnel of interest,

1)  For the "Session name" in Session Attribute object, does it mean any given
Session name for the session created along the tunnel?

2)  So for the padding, you mean basically it should be at least 4, or multiple
of 4 bytes.  Then my question is that the padding should be put before or after
the Session name?  For my understanding, it should be put padding after.

Thanks for your time.

Julia

George Swallow <[email-masked]> on 09/06/2000 05:31:40 PM

To:   "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
cc:   [email-masked], [email-masked] (bcc: Hong Liao/Telcordia)
Subject:  Re: question on RSVP-TE

Julia -

> I have questions on how to define the "Session name" in Session Attribute
> object, is there any reference which I can get for this one?

This is just a text string that can be used by net management.  By
carrying it along in the signalling the same name is used at all nodes
along the tunnel.  This makes it easier for operators to pick out a
particular tunnel of interest,

...George

==================================================================
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (978) 244-8143
                     250 Apollo Drive
                     Chelmsford, Ma 01824

---

From: "Manikantan S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:04:41 +0530

Hello Julia

#
#>This is just a text string that can be used by net management.  By
#>carrying it along in the signalling the same name is used at all nodes
#>along the tunnel.  This makes it easier for operators to pick out a
#>particular tunnel of interest,
#
#1)  For the "Session name" in Session Attribute object, does it mean any
given
#Session name for the session created along the tunnel?

mani> Yes. My understanding is that, it is any given session name for easy
reference
associated with the tunnel.

#
#2)  So for the padding, you mean basically it should be at least 4, or
multiple
#of 4 bytes.  Then my question is that the padding should be put before or
after
#the Session name?  For my understanding, it should be put padding after.

mani> Reproducing the last paragraph above section 4.7.4 Page 51 in
      "draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-07.txt" for your refernce
   ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      The contents of the Session Name field are a string, typically of
   displayable characters.  The Length MUST always be a multiple of 4
   and MUST be at least 8.  For an object length that is not a multiple
   of 4, the object is padded with trailing NULL characters.  The Name
   Length field contains the actual string length.
   ---------------------------------------------------------------------
     As indicated above the Length should be atleaset 8 (and not 4), and
multiple of 4.
     Regarding the padding, it should be after the session name.

thanks in advance
with best regards
mani
-----------------------------------------
S.Manikantan
Future Software Limited
480-481, Anna Salai,
Nandanam, Chennai, India.
Zip (PIN CODE) : 600 035
Phone          : 91-44-4330550
Fax            : 91-44-4344157
email          : [email-masked]
web            : www.futsoft.com
-----------------------------------------