Subject: Question on RSVP_TE

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 16:11:25 -0400

Hi,

I have question on RSVP_TE: Extensiton to RSVP for LSP tunnels: 06.txt

On page 41, there is a Name Length in Session Attribute Object, which says that
"the length of the display string before padding, in bytes".  If it is in byte,
why needs any padding, and if it needs any padding, the padding is put before
the "Session name" or after the "Session name".

Thanks,

Julia

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:38:21 -0400

Julia -

> the "Session name" or after the "Session name".

RSVP objects are always a multiple of 4.  The name sits in the final
bytes of the object with the length delimited by the object length.
But if the session name is not a multiple of 4 bytes you get some core
residue at the end.  The Name Length allows you to pick out just the
name.

...George

==================================================================
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (978) 244-8143
                     250 Apollo Drive
                     Chelmsford, Ma 01824

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 10:47:58 -0400

> residue at the end.  The Name Length allows you to pick out just the

Also note that the name, in the session-atrtributes object is _NOT_ a
null-terminated string.  It is a counted string, whose length is the
name-length field of the object.

When using these strings in C, be sure to allocate at least one extra
byte and explicitly append a NULL character.

Do _NOT_ assume that the session attribute object will have a NULL
character following the last character of the name.  If the name length
is a multiple of 4, then the byte following the name will be the first
byte of the next object in the message, which could be non-zero.

-- David