Subject: RE: Does anyone know any article on advantage/drawback comparison between RSVP-TE and CR-LDP?

From: "Holmes, David A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:38:03 -0700

Gang,

"MPLS Traffic Engineering: A Choice of Signaling Protocols" located at
www.dataconnection.com is an overview presented by an MPLS software stack
developer.

Regards,

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Gang Luo [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2001 7:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Does anyone know any article on advantage/drawback comparison
between RSVP-TE and CR-LDP?

Hi,

Does anyone know any article on advantage/drawback comparison between
RSVP-TE and CR-LDP?

We may prepare such a comparation article if there does not exist such
one.

the intial list of the drawbacks of compared with CR-LDP compared with
RSVP-TE UNI
-----------------------

*   not so flexible to change the path properties once it was setup
since there is not referesh mechanism.
*  ...?

the intial list of the drawbacks of RSVP-TE UNI, compared with CR-LDP
-----------------------

*  there is no flow control, which results the waste of resources.
*  per-path based refreshment overhead, it is very substatial for big
carriar networks.
*   message sized is limited by IP packet size, which may not be big
enough for certain query services.
*  ....?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.
Gang Luo.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:36:57 -0500

Hi,
     Here is a link to white paper comparing RSVP-TE and CR-LDP ...
http://www.dataconnection.com/mpls/mplsidx.htm

Satish Amara.

Gang Luo <[email-masked]> on 04/14/2001 09:09:09 AM

Sent by:  Gang Luo <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked] (Satish Amara/MW/US/3Com)
Subject:  Does anyone know any article on advantage/drawback comparison between
      RSVP-TE and CR-LDP?

Hi,

Best regards.
Gang Luo.

---

From: "Natale, Robert C (Bob)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:28:46 -0400

Hi,

Not an article, but a good ref all the same:

Zheng Wang has a section (4.5.4) comparing CR-LDP and RSVP-TE (and a summary
table on p. 174) in his book, "Internet QoS: Architectures and Mechanisms
for Quality
of Service".  If he is reading the list, perhaps he can post a version of
the table...?

BobN

---

From: "Robert Streijl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:32:41 -0400

Hi,

As everybody already recommended DataCommunications, here is two others, one
from Cisco (so very RSVP oriented).
Anyway, maybe of some use.

http://www.telecommagazine.com/issues/200011/tcs/signaling_in_mpls.html
http://www.telecommagazine.com/issues/200011/tcs/cd-ldp_for_value.html

Rob

Gang Luo <[email-masked]> on 04/14/2001 10:09:09 AM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked] (bcc: Robert Streijl/Telcordia)
Subject:  Does anyone know any article on advantage/drawback comparison between
      RSVP-TE and CR-LDP?

Hi,

Best regards.
Gang Luo.