Subject: TE using MPLS

From: Victorianus Kapuangan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:26:41 +0200

Dear all,

I am just new to this mailing list and also to the MPLS so sorry if
someone has already posted the same questions.

I have some questions concerning traffic engineering over MPLS (hope you
won't be bored :-) )

1) In case that we use the secondary LSP to back up the primary one, is
there any mechanism to tell the ingress LSR for not using the secondary
LSP while the primary one is still available ? In case that there is an
outage and we are perforced to use the secondary LSP (using the fast
reroute mechanism, for example) to forward the traffic, is there any
mechanism to tell the ingress router to restart using the primary LSP
when it becomes available ?

2)When we introduce the notion of LSP preemption to MPLS, what will
happen to the traffic over the LSP being preempted ? Correct me if I'm
wrong, can we consider that the LSP fails and then we apply fast reroute
mechanism to start using the secondary LSP for that LSP ?

3)Is it possible to use both load balancing strategy and fast reroute
mechanism as the complementary strategy for traffic engineering over
MPLS since we will probably deal with a number of LSPs for the same FEC
?

Thanks in advance and any response will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
~victor