Subject: Clarifications on draft-kompella-ospf-gmpls-extensions-01

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:14:04 -0500

All,

In draft-kompella-ospf-gmpls-extensions-01, the incoming & outgoing
interface identifiers are 32-bits. Does this refer to the 32-bit
"interface-ID" define in:

Draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-unnum-01
 Draft-ietf-mpls-crldp-unnum-01

I.e., do we assume that incoming & outgoing interfaces that are
advertised by IGPs are unnumbered or they can carry IP addresses.

Thanks. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
Wesam Alanqar         Member of Technical Staff
Technology Research Group (TR)
Technology Planning & Integration Dept. (TP&I)
Sprint
9300 Metcalf Avenue, KS 66212 
Phone: 913-534-5623 Work, Fax: 913-534-3485
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

> Draft-ietf-mpls-crldp-unnum-01

If you mean, can the interface identifiers defined in the ospf and
isis documents be used in unnumbered EROs, then the answer is yes.

> advertised by IGPs are unnumbered or they can carry IP addresses.

While one can question the utility of putting both IP addresses and
assigning unnumbered interface indices to an interface, this is not
disallowed; and an interface that has both an IP address and an
interface index may be referred to by either in an ERO.

I would expect, however, that an interface is either numbered or
unnumbered, not both.

Kireeti.