Subject: RE: Does MPLS Require L3 Routing Table ?

From: Javier Antich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:47:06 +0200

Length may not be the best routing metric. There are other parameters that a
routing protocol would consider (metric configured for each interface,
bandwidth, ...). 

Javier

                                          ^   ^
==============ooo====(.)v(.)====ooo=====
Javier Antich Romaguera
Network Consultant
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TELINDUS 
Pza. Ciudad de Viena, 6-2º
28040 Madrid 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]
tel: +34 91 456 00 08
fax: +34 91 536 10 74
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information about our products and services,
please visit our website http://www.telindus.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full connectivity & mobility
==================ooo0===0ooo========

> -----Mensaje original-----
> De:	Juha Heinanen [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Enviado el:	jueves 19 de abril de 2001 14:16
> Para:	Javier Antich
> CC:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Asunto:	RE: Does MPLS Require L3 Routing Table ? 
> 
> Javier Antich writes:
> 
>  > Yes, that is true, but how would the core router choose the right label
>  > towards the right next hop if it receives a label assignment from two
> or
>  > more neighbours for the same route?
> 
> if an lsr receives two advertisements for the same destination, it would
> pick one of them, for example, based on the length of the "traceroute" in
> the message and it could remember the other one.
> 
> -- juha

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:07:50 +0300 (EEST)

> routing protocol would consider (metric configured for each interface,

sure, nothing prevents adding those too in the "traceroute" if someone
would like to use just ldp.  the point was that mpls lsrs don't
necessarily run a routing protocol and still the lsps can be set up.

-- juha