Subject: VPN/MPLS question

From: "Loureiro, Rodrigo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:41:08 -0300

Hi all,

Thinking about use EBGP sessions between the PE-CE connection, in order to
insert customer´s routing information into the VPN routing table and provide
layer 3 redundancy for the customer´s site using BGP, a scalability problem
arises:

Once BGP has a loop avoidance mechanism based on the as-path vector, and
considering that i will not summarize the prefixes in the PEs, every site
participating in the VPN (peer) should have a different private autonomous
system. Once i have only 1014 private as-numbes, this could represent a
scalability problem, for example, if i think about a big extranet client. Is
it correct?

Regards,
--

Rodrigo Loureiro
Systems Engineer - AT&T LA
Tel: 55-11-3365-1670/9965-9676
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------
The Art of Strategy: "Those who are victorious plan effectively and change
decisively. They are like a great river that maintains its course but
adjusts its flow... They have form but are formless. They are skilled in
both planning and adapting and need not fear the result of a thousand
battles; for they win in advance, defeating those that have already lost." -
Sun Tzu, Chinese Warrior and Philosopher, 100 B.C.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:00:06 -0700

Rodrigo,

> insert customer's routing information into the VPN routing table and provide
> layer 3 redundancy for the customer's site using BGP, a scalability problem
> arises:
> 
> system. 

not necessarily. See Section 7 of draft-rosen-rfc2547bis-03.txt
(and specifically text on page 5 of that document) for more on this.

> Once i have only 1014 private as-numbes, this could represent a

see my previous comment.

Yakov.

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:40:11 -0700

> scalability problem, for example, if i think about a big extranet client. Is

Not at all. There is a feature (at least in cisco) allowing you to
automatically overwrite AS numbers of your VPN sites (with the provider
AS) by PE so all of the given VPN sites could use the same AS number.

R.

> "Loureiro, Rodrigo" wrote:
> 
> Hi all,
>