Subject: Doubt regarding preemption

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:47:39 +0500

Preemption is based upon the hold and setup priorities of the existing LSP
and LSP to be craeted. 
My question is, how do we decide which LSP to preempt ? Is it that this
decision is made only at the ingress or  can it be made at any point in the
LSP ? 
If it is at the Ingress, how do we chech that preemption of an LSP will make
way for the creation of the other ?

Thanks in advance,

Asheesh

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:31:58 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Preemption is based upon the hold and setup priorities of the
> existing LSP and LSP to be craeted.
> My question is, how do we decide which LSP to preempt ?

It is not specified.  Every switch is free to make its own decisions.

This is not a problem.  If an operator wants some LSPs to have priority
over others, then he should signal those LSPs with a different holding
priority from them.

If two LSPs are at the same priority, then it is assumed that the
operator doesn't care which of the two should be preempted first.

-- David