Subject: Label Mapping Processing !!

From: Manoj Dutta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:43:51 -0700

Hi,

I have a few doubts in step LMp.29 Section A.1.1 (RFC 3036). i thnk the
check for Downstream Unsolicited
Independent/Ordered Control is redndant. In case of DU independent
control,  a mapping is sent to peers as
soon as a new fec is recognized and DU ordered control is handled by
LMp.19-LMp.21.   For pending
label requests,,step 1-5 given for DoD should be sufficient for all
posible cases.  Let me know if this is correct.
Also,  why is stored hop count value set to UnknownHopCount (0), in this
step ?

thanks in advance
manoj

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:35:33 -0400

Manoj,

    So, if you look at the test in LMp.28, you see that LMp.29 is skipped if
there are no outstanding label requests.

    The behavior you're pointing out is correct as is.

    If the LSR is using either independent or ordered control, downstream
unsolicited label distribution, the only way that it would have outstanding
label requests is if the upstream LSR needs more than one label and has
not yet received additional ones it asked for.  The idea is that - in DU mode
- the upstream LSR will get one label for free; if it asks for a label, it must
be because it wants at least two.  Therefore, sending labels for outstanding
requests is definitely not redundant.

--
Eric Gray