Subject: VPN of Origin attribute

From: "Bala Subrahmanyam Venkata" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:17:36 -0700

All-

Is there a reason why RFC 2547bis draft does not refer to the "VPN of
Origin" attribute at all ? (I am not clear as to how this attribute is
different from "Site of Origin" attribute as defined in RFC 2547).

TIA

/bala

---

From: "Franklin Lian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:29:13 -0400

Hello, Bala

In RFC 2547, there are three BGP extended attributes speficied:

- Site of Origin
- VPN of Origin
- Target VPN

In practice, "Site of Origin" identifies from which site the route is
originated and the "Target VPN" is the Route-Target attribute.  In
section 4.2.3 of RFC2547, the VPN of origin is an optional attribute
that is used to identify a particular set of sites which may or may
not constitute a VPN.  I found that Cisco's implementation of VPN of
Origin is the Route-Distinguisher attribute of the route, however, I 
don't think RD is exact the "VPN of Origin" specified in RFC2547.

Personally I don't think the "VPN of Origin" is so necessary and it
does not hurt to take if off.

Hoep it will help
Franklin