Subject: intserv vs diffserv

From: Maksymilian Milkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:19:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,
I would like to ask about differences in IP QoS models implemented in
MPLS: do they only differ in granularity? When it is recommended to use
the former and when the latter? Does the type of hardware (ATM-LSRs, IP
routers) have any influence on this choice?
And one question regarding diffserv only: does the setting up of
packet's DSCP value in domain boundary mean that this packet will be
treated in the same way in all nodes of the domain?

Thanks in advance,

Maks Milkowski

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:24:08 -0700

Maks,

> routers) have any influence on this choice?

I am not aware that anybody is using intserv in the SP/ISP type of
network. It simply does not scale.

> treated in the same way in all nodes of the domain?

It depends of the configuration of each node and does not have anything
to do specifically with MPLS. MPLS header is just a vehicle to carry the
EXP bits. In DS-TE the middle nodes diffserv scheduling configuration
can be automated via RSVP so you can assume that for such a flows the
answer would be yes.

R.

> Maksymilian Milkowski wrote:
> 
> Hi,