Subject: pinging problem............help required

From: Vijayendra Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Jun 2001 06:34:32 MDT

Hello sir,
   Can anyone help me with this problem,
 Will machines A and B able to ping eachother...????

      A                                B
1)192.168.0.1/16-----Hub------192.168.0.2/24

2)192.168.0.1/16-----Switch------192.168.0.2/24

3)192.168.0.1/16-----Router------192.168.0.2/24

 i will be helpful to you, if you can help me in anyway.
regards,
    Vijayendra.

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1

---

From: Haoxin Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:50:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Vijayendra

I think A and B are still belong to different network, although the
network address is same (192.168.0.0) the network mask is different. So
when connected by Hub, A and B can not ping each other. Switch and Router
are used to connect different network so A B should be able to ping each
other when configured correctly.

Larry

---

From: Haoxin Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:57:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Sorry for previous reply. That's a mistake. On second thought, when
connected by Hub or Switch, A and B should have the understanding that
they are on the same subnet, so they can ping each other. When connected
by router, router may have problem having overlapped ip address
configured, so A and B can not ping.

Thanks,

Larry