Subject: Optional parameter in CR-LDP Label request message

From: "KAR-CHOUDHURI,DAIPAYAN (A-India,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:11:48 +0900

Hi all ,
         I have a query regarding the structure of Cr-LDP Label request
message. The reference document is
draft-ietf-mpls-cr-ldp-05.txt . This document treats ER-TLV within Label
request Message as an optional parameter.
So what happens when we send a label request message without an ER-TLV. My
question is why it should not be treated as 
mandatory parameter, because if we don't include ER-TLV the essence of
Explicit routing may be lost.
 
Regards,
Daipayan

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:15:15 -0400

The definition of 'optional parameter' in a protocol specification tends to
emphasize protocol correctness, rather than intended function.  It is often
the case that omitting an optional parameter results in not achieving the
behavior that depends on its presence - but this is not necessarily a
protocol error...

--
Eric Gray