Subject: FEC assignment

From: "Mareline Sheldon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:11:46 +0530

I have a doubt which is bugging me.
Which procedure/protocol is used for creating binding between labels and
FECs i.e who decides that all my traffic to 192.168/16 with certain QoS
parameters should be assigned label "x". I know what happens after the
labels are assigned to FECs. LDP is used to distribute this label binding
information. But the question is that who does the initial part and what are
the considerations.

Regards,
Mary

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Ajay Simha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:33:49 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

> information. But the question is that who does the initial part and what are

I have not actually looked at any working code but if I were to guess the
following has to happen:

1. A callback needs to exist that invokes a process that creates LIB table and
   assigns local labels (at least in DU) to all IGP and statically derived
   prefixes.  This does not have to be a protocol since there is no
   interaction between LSRs to achieve this.  It can be a procedure that
   follows definitions from RFC 3031 and RFC 3032.  This callback has to be
   invoked only after your routing processes have been established.

2. LDP will need to have a two way interaction with this procedure to send
  label bindings to the neighbors and populate the LIB upon receiving
  bindings.

-ajay

-- 
Ajay Simha
MPLS Deployment Engineer
IOS Technology Division
(919) 392-3141

"Study as if you were to live forever
 Live as if you were to die tomorrow"

 - Mahatma Gandhi