Subject: MPLS tunneled in IP

From: Henry Bibb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:00:42 -0400

When MPLS-labeled packets are tunneled in IP, how does a 
router distinguish whether a given IP packet has an MPLS 
label stack or not?  In draft-worster-mpls-in-ip-05.txt, 
mention is made of setting up two new values for the IPv4
protocol field to distinguish MPLS labelled packets, but 
there appears to be no actual code point assigned for this yet. 

So, what does deployed equipment do?

Thanks,
Henry Bibb
Hatteras Networks, Inc.
[email-masked]

****************************************************************************

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer. 
Thank you. Hatteras Networks, Inc. 
****************************************************************************

---

From: "Kameswara Rao Avasarala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:35:24 -0700

Hi,
   What is the application of tunneling mpls over ip ? Since LSP's cannot be
established through a non-mpls domain and the egress lsr's anyway perform
the transformation from mpls->ip .
Kamesh.

Kameswara Rao Avasarala
Software Engineer
Ericsson Inc
Telephone:
Work:805-562-6212
Resi: 805-562-8841

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Henry
Bibb
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 11:01 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: MPLS tunneled in IP

Thanks,
Henry Bibb
Hatteras Networks, Inc.

---

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:52:36 +0100

> there appears to be no actual code point assigned for this yet.

There's also a proposal for MPLS in GRE - for which no code point needs
to be assigned.  I think it has expired though?  It was
draft-rekhter-mpls-over-gre-01.txt.
 
> So, what does deployed equipment do?

I'm not sure much equipment has been deployed yet that supports either
draft?

Giles

-- 
=================================================================
Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"
=================================================================

---

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:04:40 +0100

> the transformation from mpls->ip .

But with MPLS over IP (or over GRE) LSPs *can* be established through a
non-mpls domain.  Use targetted LDP sessions ("extended discovery") or
BGP to exchange labels and then tunnel MPLS packets in IP or GRE to get
them from one device to the other...

This could be useful if you want to deploy draft-martini or RFC2547 over
a non-MPLS backbone.  The former approach is documented in draft-martini
itself (draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls-07.txt) and the latter in a
companion draft to RFC2547bis (draft-ietf-ppvpn-gre-ip-2547-00.txt)

Giles

---

From: Dan Tappan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:43:04 -0400

>I'm not sure much equipment has been deployed yet that supports either

I know of shipping implementations which support MPLS/GRE. I don't know of 
any that support MPLS/IP.

---

From: "Mareline Sheldon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:19:32 +0530

> them from one device to the other...

This much is okay .. but if you are using IP then how do you ensure that
your TE specifications are met .. and if this is not ensured then the very
use of MPLS is challenged !
am i missing something ?

Mary

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Eric Osborne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 01:03:22 -0400

> use of MPLS is challenged !

I think so.  Where in the post that you've quoted do you see 'Traffic
Engineering'?

eric