Subject: CR-LDP Label Request without ER TLV

From: "Donal O'Sullivan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:50:17 +0100

Hi,

I have looked through some of the archives for an answer to this question,
in vain.  Apologies if I am going over old ground.

If a Label Request message is sent without an Explicit Route TLV, but with a
Traffic Parameters TLV, what will ensue?

The scenario I am trying to capture is where the originator of the Label
Request message has certain bandwidth requirements and a destination, but
does not care which route the LSP takes.  I presume that the default IGP
routing will be used, and that, at best, the LSR will check to see if it can
fulfil the bandwidth requirements specified in the Traffic Parameters TLV.

Can someone confirm this?

Also, on a more general note, is it envisaged that alternative Link State
DB's might be constructed using TE extensions to the IGP, and that in the
future LSR's could combine the Traffic Parameters TLV with these alternative
LSDB's to produce the forwarding information for the Label Request?  Is
there work progressing in the MPLS WG towards automatic routing by the
network which is not based on SPF, and where the knowledge of the network
topology is minimal?  Any pointers towards relevant reading material would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Donal