Subject: RSVPTE questions

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:35:08 -0400

Hi,

The rfc 2205 -- APPENDIX B. Error Codes and Values, I found some of them
will not generate error msg back.  As I know, the error code 23 will not be
reported to the end system.  But others suppose to send back resverr or
patherr back with error code and value or not?

I found the following two, if error is generated in the resv msg, the
ingress will not send the resverr back, and just not forwarding the resv
msg.  So I was wondering all the error code in this appendix B, error msg
suppose to be sent our or not.

1.  Error Code = 05: Conflicting reservation style

        Reservation style conflicts with style(s) of existing
        reservation state.  The Error Value field contains the low-order
        16 bits of the Option Vector of the existing style with which
        the conflict occurred.  This Resv message cannot be forwarded.

2.   Error Code = 06: Unknown reservation style

        Reservation style is unknown.  This Resv message cannot be
        forwarded.

3.  Also what is considered the bad Tspec, or flowspec.
       Error Code = 21: Traffic Control Error

        Traffic Control call failed due to the format or contents of the
        parameters to the request.  The Resv or Path message that caused
        the call cannot be forwarded, and repeating the call would be
        futile.
Here it says the resv or path msg can not be forwarded, so how about the
error msg, they will be generated or not?

4.  what is the difference between these two.

 o    Unknown object Class-Num. (error code 23)

Error Code = 13: Unknown object class

        Error Value contains 16-bit value composed of (Class-Num, C-
        Type) of unknown object.  This error should be sent only if RSVP
        is going to reject the message, as determined by the high-order
        bits of the Class-Num.  This Error Code may appear in a PathErr
        or ResvErr message.

Thanks,

Julia